Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Malvinas Conflict

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default The Malvinas Conflict

Yes, another year in the conflict Argentina - Great Britain.

At 26 years of this conflict, we STILL demand like idiots that the MAlvinas must be ours, as they FORM part of Argentina.

But lets remember those who died in combat, and not fight for it. Just give us back the island and everything will be fine.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Default Re: The Malvinas Conflict

"Accept that your illusory independence is at an end. A future as a client kingdom under our protection is your destiny."

"Your empty threats do not worry us. We will take our chances."

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

"Our freedom is a precious thing, and we do not give up so easily"

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

*opens the windows for fresh air*

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Would one of you two please provide some sort of topic other than "Give us the Maldives/Falklands now after we unsuccessfully attacked them in the 80's!!!"

It'd be nice to have somewhere to go with this other than the usual "It's up to the inhabitants of the Maldives who may or may not care which country they belong to" but I'm not really up on the situation as it's not a major issue lately. So far as I know anyway.

Has anything changed? Any stories you can link us to that would help spur discussion?
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

Gordon Brown isn't too popular at the moment, maybe a war over some small inconsequential bit of land is just what we need!
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Its Malvinas, not Maldivas.

Well, not much is going on. We still claim them, but GB won't give them. I wonder if I have to go to war to recapture them. I'm not saying that would be possible now, we have our own problems to solve right now.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    Gordon Brown isn't too popular at the moment, maybe a war over some small inconsequential bit of land is just what we need!
    Haha, it certainly worked for Blair.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: The Malvinas Conflict

What about the people of the Falkland islands, from what I understand they want to remain with Britain, why should they have to change nationality because the Argentinians/Spanish had a settlement there some 170 years ago. I know that because of the potential underwater resources that these islands have become possibly more valuable than previously thought.

And why a war over them? Though the Royal Navy has unfortunately taken a lot of cuts in the last few years they are still a potent force. A number of years down the road they'll have two large Queen Elizabeth class carriers as well which would give them the strike potential the US has. That and do you think Bush and friends would allow an attack on Britain without giving them support either directly or indirectly? Why the bloodshed over these islands merely because they are near Argentina?
    Last edited by spmetla; 04-04-2008 at 07:21.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

Senior Member Senior Member Brenus's Avatar

"they are near Argentina": Near? Look at a map... It is as near than the Orcades to France... Argentina has no valid claim on the Island just because it belong to the same Continental Plateau... They could probably claim Panama with this kind of claim...
    Last edited by Brenus; 04-04-2008 at 07:41.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.

"I've been in few famous last stands, lad, and they're butcher shops. That's what Blouse's leading you into, mark my words. What'll you lot do then? We've had a few scuffles, but that's not war. Think you'll be man enough to stand, when the metal meets the meat?"
    "You did, sarge", said Polly." You said you were in few last stands."
    "Yeah, lad. But I was holding the metal"
    Sergeant Major Jackrum 10th Light Foot Infantery Regiment "Inns-and-Out"

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Cool Re: The Malvinas Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    Tasmania perhaps?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Tasmania perhaps?
    They can have it.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

First of all it's the Falkland Isles, and as far as I can see Argentina can complain and claim whatever they want but if the government handed them over they would be voted out at the next election, if not sooner. Not much chance of that then.

So, yes, I think you will need to fight for them, and we all know which way that'll go.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Don't think a result will be as clear-cut as last time. Brown is weak in the UK, anti-war sentiments are stronger than ever, and I doubt the UK armed forces can spare the effort right now. Now is as 'good' a time as ever.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 04-04-2008 at 09:59.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine
    *opens the windows for fresh air*
    *thinks about Cyprus and opens the other window as well*

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

start polishing up those exocets and let´s go at it again....Sky News and CNN are running out of images of stuff blowing up
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Yes, another year in the conflict Argentina - Great Britain.

At 26 years of this conflict, we STILL demand like idiots that the MAlvinas must be ours, as they FORM part of Argentina.

But lets remember those who died in combat, and not fight for it. Just give us back the island and everything will be fine.
    You really want the Malvinas back? Can I ask what for? Are you going to live there?

I'm really sorry but you said it "we Still demand like IDIOTS", if Falklands where Argentinian they aren't anymore; we were tempted to declare a war and we did; now we and our future generations must learn to deal with the consequences of our stupid acts.

Its Malvinas, not Maldivas.
    If we are claiming something over Maldivas I'm all for it!!

I wonder if I have to go to war to recapture them. I'm not saying that would be possible now, we have our own problems to solve right now.
    Dude, I really wonder if we live in the same country, we have problems to solve in the next ten centuries at least. War? without army/ships/planes/submarines/weaponry? Are we going to send our veterans, the same we spit in the face when Malvinas/Falklands conflict ended?

Did you know somebody who has been there during the conflict? Go speak with some veterans first before speaking of war.
    Last edited by Riedquat; 04-04-2008 at 13:53.
    returning to the shadows.....

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenus
    "they are near Argentina": Near? Look at a map... It is as near than the Orcades to France... Argentina has no valid claim on the Island just because it belong to the same Continental Plateau... They could probably claim Panama with this kind of claim...
    France could claim Britain with such a claim

Did you know somebody who has been there during the conflict? Go speak with some veterans first before speaking of war.
    Well said that man.

In the early 80s I worked alongside a guy who had helped liberate the islands from the Argentine warmongers, he had a funny look in his eyes and not a pleasant one either.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Settle it on the pitch. Best team from the combined UK associations v Argentina. And you Brits better pray it doesn't go to penalties.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Caius...why do you even care?

Honestly, I'm wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    Caius...why do you even care?

Honestly, I'm wondering.
    I can't answer for him but I guess he cares because a wrong sense of patriotism like the 70% of my countrymen, not their fault of course, generation after generation we have been educated with the same values where brits are evil; two years before the Falkland conflict nobody here know of the existence of the islands. Heck! nobody knows about anything! Our worst enemy was in charge at that moment but we were afraid of the brits in some remote islands that we didn't know.
    returning to the shadows.....

Lol, brits are devil. And yes, I'm patriotic. Sadly, we are patriotic when Argentina plays some remote football match.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Settle the issue once and for all: give the Falklands/Malvinas to Kosovo.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Lol, brits are devil. And yes, I'm patriotic. Sadly, we are patriotic when Argentina plays some remote football match.
    You're patriotic if you want other people to die over some remote little islands nobody really cares about?
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    You're patriotic if you want other people to die over some remote little islands nobody really cares about?
    Isn't that a beautifully succinct summary of most nationalist folly?

"If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

You can't invade Tasmania, we need it for nuclear testing.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: The Malvinas Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by Furious Mental
    You can't invade Tasmania, we need it for nuclear testing.
    All Pacific islands fit for nuclear testing are ours!

* declares the rightful return of Tasmania from the wretched claws of the British a core value of French patriotism *
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: The Malvinas Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    All Pacific islands fit for nuclear testing are ours!

* declares the rightful return of Tasmania from the wretched claws of the British a core value of French patriotism *
    Tasmania is in the Antarctic Ocean.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-05-2008 at 14:36.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Default Re: Re : Re: The Malvinas Conflict

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Tasmania is in the Antarctic Ocean.
    Indian Ocean.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast