Thread: Advice on starting as Hayasdan

Default Advice on starting as Hayasdan

Hi Guys,

I normally play Rome and now fancy trying something totally different. Can you guys give me some pointers on how to start off with Hayasdan please.

Cheers

Denbo

Default Re: Advice on starting as Hayasdan

Use your first army and take all the Caucasus before the grey death came after you.

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

Great choice! Hayasdan is definitely one of the most fun-to-play factions.

First, read everything on Hayasdan reforms to enjoy playing them fully. https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=89865 https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=84854
    Second, as Kepper has said, try to get all provinces needed for pan-caucasian reform (except Sophene/Karkathiokertha) before the AS attacks you. A regular tribute of 500,- mnai/turn and HARD campaign difficulty could do the trick.
    Once they attack you, take Karkathiokertha, thus fulfilling the requirements for the first reform, which will allow you to field a decent army and further develop your economy.
    Third, well - you are basically over the hill, now just enjoy the game!

Disband your unit of medium cavalry (very high upkeep) and take as many cities as you can before the grey death ascends on your lands. I started out by taking Kotais (good trade and port + access to Scythian units), Phraaspa (Mine and barracks ready with good regional units + port access) and Kabalaka. Mtskheta is close and can be taken at any time. Ani-Kamah and Trapezous will most likely stay Eleutheroi for quite some time, depending on which way Pontos expands of course.

The Seleukids attacked before I could complete the Pan-Caucasus reform so I took Ekbatana and Susa rapidly with a large enough force which left the AS stunned long enough for me to take the remaining Caucasian cities with a small force of horse archers.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...light=Hayasdan

I and others gave some tips on Hayasdan as well.

Default AW: Advice on starting as Hayasdan

Use your Familymember - this is your most powerfull unit from the start up. at first my objectives are kotais, trapezous and ani-kamah and lter mtskheta, phraaspa (hard nut(!)persianhoplites) and the other needed regions to get the first reform.
    then ... mines! mines! mines!...
    the seleukids are weak in the first years. when you are in war with them, they normaly make pease with the ptolys... blitz them in the half. mesopotamia and susa+persepolis to get the other reforms sucessfully.
    in the seleukid areas you can recruit thureophoroi´s and levyphalanxs. this could be your life insurance.
    my favorite armycombination: fm or bowcataphracts, enough skythian horsearchers, a lot of eastern peltasts+slingers+bows and some greeks for the hard jobs (to hold the enemyphalanx in position and fight on walls). normaly the seleukids/ptolemys only use elite footsoldiers, phalanx or junktroops. speed + bow/stones/pelts must be is your best friend.
    hope that this is useful for you
    Oronted forward!

Default Re: AW: Advice on starting as Hayasdan

Take Kotais and Mtskheta, disband your medium cavalry, try to take Trapezous if you can. Make alliance with Sauromatae. They will agree.

Don't take Phraaspa, it will be a nice buffer against the AS from the east. Take all the other Caucasus towns, develop them. Once AS attacks, take Karkathiokerta, attack southeast and grab Seleukeia and Charax, then east to Susa and Persepolis for your Orontid reforms.

DO NOT take Antiocheia, or expand to the west. You will get yourself into a quarrel between Ptolemaioi and/or/Pontos. Leave the AS between you and them--Edessa, Mazaka, etc.

EB DEVOTEE SINCE 2004

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Make peace with the Sauramatae before they start wandering into your lands(AI exploit I know).

Consolidate the Caucuses, wait for the AS to come to you... across those bridges.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

My advice is to take Egrisi and Kartali with starting army.
    Dont make war with Sauromate. Try to bribe them of if they attack you (worked for me).
    Forts on mountain passes to the north should give you decent warning from Sauromate attack.

After you have 3 settlement develope your economy. Mines , mines and once more mines are the key. This 3 settlements are easy to defend and will bring you tons of money when developed.

Army at the beginning should include only 2 unit types: cheep foot archers as garrison and mobile horse archer army. This plus your bodyguards will hold of any Seleukid army that tries to attack you in first 10-15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pezhetairoi
    Take Kotais and Mtskheta, disband your medium cavalry, try to take Trapezous if you can. Make alliance with Sauromatae. They will agree.

Don't take Phraaspa, it will be a nice buffer against the AS from the east. Take all the other Caucasus towns, develop them. Once AS attacks, take Karkathiokerta, attack southeast and grab Seleukeia and Charax, then east to Susa and Persepolis for your Orontid reforms.

DO NOT take Antiocheia, or expand to the west. You will get yourself into a quarrel between Ptolemaioi and/or/Pontos. Leave the AS between you and them--Edessa, Mazaka, etc.
    My strategy was very similar in my previous game as the Hayasdan. I left buffers everywhere. What I didn't count on was that the Ptolemies happily ignored our common enemy, the AS, and attacked Seleukeia which I had recently taken, ACROSS AS territory (Edessa, Antioch was still in AS hands)! In full view, they wandered straight through enemy territory to attack me, their only allies. Wonderful, beautiful AI.

This was on H/M. I left that campaign in a very frustrating state.
    Last edited by Yossarian; 04-06-2008 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    My strategy was very similar in my previous game as the Hayasdan. I left buffers everywhere. What I didn't count on was that the Ptolemies happily ignored our common enemy, the AS, and attacked Seleukeia which I had recently taken, ACROSS AS territory (Edessa, Antioch was still in AS hands)! In full view, they wandered straight through enemy territory to attack me, their only allies. Wonderful, beautiful AI.

This was on H/M. I left that campaign in a very frustrating state.
    Did they per chance control Palmyra? That happened in my first succesful Hayasdan campaign. Ten years later Alexandreia was firmly ruled by the Hai...

They did control Palmyra. But the very small army they sent originated in Tarsos. This meant that they fought a couple of small skirmishes against AS forces outside Antioch and Edessa to get to Seleukeia. Hardly very intelligent behaviour. But then again, that's what we've all come to expect from the ridiculous AI.

I have enjoyed playing this faction on a couple of occasions. I made sure I had towers and spies out and always picked the territory to fight the Selucids. Bless em. Had some great times beating their elites with militia and the excellent generals you get. I know it's taking advantage of the AI by fighting fords, bridges, hills and mountainside but if they field armies of silvershields they deserve what they get!

It's a case of you know they will come to get you but knowing where they are and when to fight gives you an edge.

Makes me want to dabble with this faction again.....

p.s in my current Selucid campaign I have just invaded the light blues - you have now made me feel guilty
    Last edited by Tancredii; 04-06-2008 at 18:44.
    We have fed our sea for a thousand years
    And she calls us, still unfed,
    Though there’s never a wave of all her waves
    But marks our English dead:
    We have strawed our best to the weed’s unrest,
    To the shark and the sheering gull.
    If blood be the price of admiralty,
    Lord God, we ha’ paid in full!

Kipling - and he makes exceedingly good cakes