Thread: Text file issues

Default Text file issues

Ok, ive been trying to get the text for my provincial campaign to function. but it doesnt want to cooperate. the text files are below. as you can see, the description section and the name dont read properly. what am I missing?!?

Name from descr_strat:
    "
    ; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN
    options bi
    playable
    romans_julii
    seleucid
    gauls
    spain
    carthage
    armenia
    pontus
    parthia
    end
    "

Campaign folder name:
    "empires_campaign"

From "lookup_campaign_descriptions":

IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_GAULS_TITLE
    IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_GAULS_DESCR
    IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_GERMANS_TITLE
    IMPERIAL_CAMPAIGN_GERMANS_DESCR
    EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN_TITLE
    EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN
    EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN_DESCR

From "campaign_descriptions":

{EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN_TITLE}Rome - Total War: Empires
    {EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN}Rome - Total War: Empires
    {EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN_DESCR}Rome - Total War: Empires description

Notes:
    i have tried lowercase in descr_strat and it shows up as lower case. but it doesnt read the text file, beyond the name, obviously.

As an aside. I am now using Windows Visat, and am having a small problem with photoshop. it seems to forget that i have the plugin for dds files, and claims they cant be read. any ideas on how to fix this?

ps I HATE VISTA

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

Default Re: Text file issues

I have problems getting that to work to (in BI) till I put the provinicial campaign folder inside a 'custom' folder...

data/world/maps/campaign/custom/EMPIRES_CAMPAIGN

try that

can't help on the Vista thingy - only suggestion is try opening the dds through the open file menu inside PS and not by clicking on the dds file name from outside the program.
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

Also there are DDS converters around so you dont have to save in DDS format. The problem is you need much more HD space as you have to save in tga first and then convert to dds. I suppose you can delete the tga file but its a lot of work (I do it though).

I believe there is a DDS converter with the full tools kit released here. There is a newer version but this has a load more stuff with it and to be frank I have no problem with it.

Building for the Future of METW

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Shotz
    Ok, ive been trying to get the text for my provincial campaign to function. but it doesnt want to cooperate. the text files are below. as you can see, the description section and the name dont read properly. what am I missing?!?
    Made your very same path months ago, no solution found, I thought that was sort of a bug in the game. Hope Makanyane solution will work., I'll try that too.

As an aside. I am now using Windows Visat, and am having a small problem with photoshop. it seems to forget that i have the plugin for dds files, and claims they cant be read. any ideas on how to fix this?
    ps I HATE VISTA
    LOL
    I'm in Vista too and yes, I am battling everyday on something not working as expected. But for me the photoshop dds plugin works correctly, except it make a grey screen during opening of the files. Then all comes ok and I can work on it.
    Did you try deactivating aero theme? I know it makes lot of trouble with graphical programs.

nope, Makanyane's method didnt work for me, but it could be that ive missed something. im looking into it. thanks Bassist, if it becomes a major problem i will definately check those out.

Seth, youre little grey screen is exactly what happens to me. what is aero theme? and how do i go about deactiveating it?
    lastly, it seems i can open dds files fine if they werent part of the original game. things inside the game folders cant be opened, but the unpacked packs and my mod textures can...what is going on here? and how can i fix this?
    thanks again!

Have you tried putting the campaign's description in menu_english.txt, under the {UI_FACTIONS_NO_DESCRIPTION} label?

Norman Invasion - The fate of England lies in your hands...

Viking Invasion II - Unite Britain in the best TW campaign ever!

Gods and Fighting Men: Total War - Enter the Mists of Myth in Ancient Ireland

Seth, youre little grey screen is exactly what happens to me. what is aero theme? and how do i go about deactiveating it?
    aero is the video feature that in vista lets you see transparent windows and 3d desktop layers.

You can deactivate it from desktop properties --> theme --> windows classic

And yes, windows classic theme SUCKS and when you put it on it makes you wanna cry. I mean, with all the problems Vista always rise, at least having a nice view on your desktop!

I know there is also a way to have the "simple vista theme" wich is much better then "classic windows", and BTW its supposed to swtich there by itself when a program conflicts with aero, but at time it works, at times it doesnt.
    Setting windows classic is safer.

Bassist, God and Modder Member Thor the Bassist's Avatar

lastly, it seems i can open dds files fine if they werent part of the original game. things inside the game folders cant be opened, but the unpacked packs and my mod textures can...what is going on here? and how can i fix this?
    thanks again!
    Dont all the textures have to be unpacked? I know it may sound like a silly question but you're not trying to open files in the packs? (If not I apologise I really cant remember what files are packed in vanilla and which have to be unpacked).

Building for the Future of METW

no i havent Aradan, i will do that!

hmm, considering that the transparent stuff on my comp is already off. im going to assume aero isnt on.

Bassist, there are a few reference textures in models/textures that i was trying to open

right, well i just discovered that i was attempting to open CAS versions of the dds files so im an idiot. i didnt pay enough attention and the icons are the same on this comp as they are for dds files... so actually, my photoshop is working fine