Thread: First cohort

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Default First cohort

Because I'm stupid and lazy...

what is it and if one wants it how do you get it? Please use small words.
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-08-2008 at 05:50.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: First cohort

It is a special unit that has a number attached to it. Essentially, it is a unit that you stick one of with every legion so that you can keep track of them.

They are not available until the Marian Era.

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

They are only available in Rome and they carry the Aquilla, which means the Eagle Taker traits are back and all the associated headaches.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: First cohort

Is the eagle a floating magical item or is it for real, like the signum?

It's the color company.

You see them here as the white splotch in the middle of the battalion which is changing direction to the right.

"I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams." -Hamlet, II, ii

"Historians and others attempt to pin the tail on the reluctant monkey of change." -excerpt from a real college essay, from Ignorance is Blitz by Anders Henriksson

Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Right,

I know what the First cohort was, but I looked for it as a sperate unit and couldn't find it. Is it just a regular heavy foot with enhanced stats?

ETW Steam: Little Fox Member mini's Avatar

they're the only ones with LS

Is the eagle a vanilla-esque floating item attached to the banner or is it a real polygon model, like the ordinary cohors signum?
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 04-09-2008 at 18:04.

good question.

Right,

I know about this...

but this doesn't tell that much about the size or strength of the unit.
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-09-2008 at 20:17.

Default Re: AW: First cohort

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Is the eagle a vanilla-esque floating item attached to the banner or is it a real polygon model, like the ordinary cohors signum?
    I don't believe there is a model of a guy holding an Eagle in EB. Having such a guy would mean one less unit in the game. This may have changed at some point, but the original plan was to not include such a guy.

That pic is from a minimod and I believe is the RTR eagle model.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    The former. Same thing as with the Casse "hero" units and so on.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thanks, that answered my questions.

Is not the First Cohort a double strength unit? (2x the men) ??
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by cmacq
    Right,

I know about this...

but this doesn't tell that much about the size or strength of the unit.
    That is a picture of the Aquilifer included in my First Cohort Mod (which is for 1.0, but is currently under the process of being updated). It was originally from SPQR, I got permission to use it in my mod. EB unfortunately does not have any Aquilifer models due to space limitations in the DMB file (I think).
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Thx.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple of Tacitus
    Is not the First Cohort a double strength unit? (2x the men) ??
    That would be something interesting to realise certainly, as the Romani faction guys insisted on the postmarians being on base size 50... They also said the double-strenght First Cohorts only started turning up after EB's timeframe though.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Watchman
    That would be something interesting to realise certainly, as the Romani faction guys insisted on the postmarians being on base size 50... They also said the double-strenght First Cohorts only started turning up after EB's timeframe though.
    Ahhh - so my recollection of someone saying that the First Cohort is double strength is just that, a recollection of someone stating some "fact" that is post-EB. Gotcha. Thanks.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Question Re: First cohort

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    It is a special unit that has a number attached to it. Essentially, it is a unit that you stick one of with every legion so that you can keep track of them.

They are not available until the Marian Era.
    I just created my first two first cohorts (after succesfully reached the Marian reform era, so EB script has surely been activated). But I saw no number attached to any of them. In the unit scroll they have just the same name:

Prima Cohors Reformata (Post-Marian First Cohort)
    Legio

No number or whathever displayed after the word "Legio" (the spot where I supposed the number should appear). Anyone could clarify this issue?

The First Cohort feature is the most interesting feature for me in EB 1.1 ...really want to see my legionaires stationed all over my empire under their own Legion Number properly displayed So any light on this matter would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Yes. You make a skin which gets used for *all* such cohorts. RTW can't say "ooh this is LXVI let's change the texture now so it reads LXVI" all by itself.

In short: that's impossible to do with what we have.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 05-03-2008 at 20:26.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

The unit skin should just say "Legio", but the unit description should have a number. If that doesn't have number then that is probably a bug...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    The unit skin should just say "Legio", but the unit description should have a number. If that doesn't have number then that is probably a bug...
    Marcusaurelius, I might be a total idiot here but could you specify which part is actually the unit "skin" and which is the unit "description"?

(i.e. does "skin" refer to the pop-up label that appears when we put cursor over an army in campaign map {which, in my case shows the first-cohort captain's name rather that Legion's number} and "description" to the scroll that pops-up when we right-click the unit's pic on the recruitment screen in a settlement {which, in my case, does not contain any number but only the word "Legio"})?

Thanks in advance.

-pavillon-
    Last edited by pavillon; 05-04-2008 at 06:15.

The skin is what you see when you look at the guy in the battlemap (there is a guy holding a standard that says "Legio" on it). By description I simply meant in-game text.