Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Quintus Sertorius' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman (Redux for EB)

Default Re: Quintus Sertorius' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman (Redux for EB)

So are you going to update post Punic War II?

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: Quintus Sertorius' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman (Redux for EB)

Quote Originally Posted by lobf
    So are you going to update post Punic War II?
    Eventually.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

You better hurry up because I'm just about to start it!

What about rules for engaging in battle? These come to mind, how do they sound?

Don't use skirmishers on the front line if the enemy a) doesn't have skirmishers on its front line AND b) is neither intimidating by its quality nor by its numbers nor by its advantageous position

Don't deploy on high ground to tire the enemy unless one or more of the following are true:
    a) the enemy is intimidating by its quality or numbers,
    b) the nature of the battlefield yields no other option.

Pursue routers.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

There's Roman Warfare (a bit short, IMO), lots of useful stuff in In the Name of Rome: The men who won the Roman Empire, and the one I've used for a lot of the early parts of this guide is The Fall of Carthage (also sold as The Punic Wars).
    If you think "Roman Warfare" is a bit short, then there is "The Complete Roman Army" of the same author which is COMPLETE indeed!
    I've just finished reading "In the Name of Rome" and I think it is one of the best books on roman history.
    Also consider another of Goldsworthy's books, "Caesar: Life of a Colossus". Great biography and rich in battle details and tactics in 1st century BC.

@Quintus Sertorius
    Do you enslave the towns of the Italian peninsula that you are conquering? Or you just occupy them and build a Type IV Government immediately?
    Last edited by Timoleon; 05-09-2008 at 13:57.

I rarely enslave anywhere, it's just not worth the hassle of all the additional population in your governed settlements. Better one problem settlement that takes a while to settle down than lots of trouble at home. I always occupy and install type IV (though not in Ariminium, that goes straight to type I).

I will, however make an exception on the no enslaving rule in Greece when I eventually conquer that. Same for when Carthage is finished off too.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Ultimate guide

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

looking forward to the update...
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

oh an another thing , how do you make hannibal's army to appear

thanks in advance
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3||
    oh an another thing , how do you make hannibal's army to appear

thanks in advance
    I tried, unsuccessfully to have him appear with a spawn script.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    I tried, unsuccessfully to have him appear with a spawn script.

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
    ;Second Punic War: Hannibal in Italy;
    monitor_event CharacterTurnStart FactionType egypt
    and I_TurnNumber = 225
    and not I_LocalFaction egypt

spawn_army
    faction egypt
    character, Hannibal ofcarthago, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 31, , x 105, y 124
    unit carthaginian cavalry generals bodyguard, exp 7 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian missile balearic slinger, exp 3 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit iberian infantry light caetratii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian infantry loricati scutarii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit african skirmisher javelinmen, exp 5 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit celtic infantry gaesatae, exp 0 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit celtic infantry gaeroas, exp 0 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit carthaginian infantry aanatim afrikanim aloophim, exp 6 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit carthaginian infantry aanatim afrikanim aloophim, exp 6 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit carthaginian infantry dorkim afrikanim aloophim, exp 7 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit celtic cavalry brihentin, exp 0 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian cavalry heavy lancearii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit african missile cavalry numidian, exp 5 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    end
    console_command give_trait "Hannibal ofcarthago" GoodTactician 3
    console_command give_trait "Hannibal ofcarthago" LogisticalSkill 2
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    Try this modified version of the script that you had created.

Help make developers understand the importance of game AI and earn credits as a Game Designer. The Restaurant Game Project

Bit late for my game, Gaias, but hopefully others following this guide will get some utility out of it. Thanks!

Smile Re: Quintus Sertorius' Guide to Conduct Becoming of a True Roman (Redux for EB)

Ill try it later... when I get there... I just hope I dont screw anything up

Quintus when you are really overwhelmed by enemy numbers do you still use classical tactics? or do you use more... effective tactics... l
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3||
    Quintus when you are really overwhelmed by enemy numbers do you still use classical tactics? or do you use more... effective tactics... l
    I still use classical tactics. Honestly, I don't find them "less effective" with the armies I recruit. The only way they would be is if I was recruiting stacks of principes and accensi.

Check out my AAR; I've still not lost any battles I didn't mean to using classical composition and tactics. Even in repeat battles against multiple stacks it still works. There've been some hard battles that turned on a single event (usually the killing of the enemy general), but it works.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 05-15-2008 at 18:48.

;Second Punic War: Hannibal in Italy;
    monitor_event CharacterTurnStart FactionType egypt
    and I_TurnNumber = 225
    and not I_LocalFaction egypt

spawn_army
    faction egypt
    character, Hannibal ofcarthago, named character, command 0, influence 0, management 0, subterfuge 0, age 31, , x 105, y 124
    unit carthaginian cavalry generals bodyguard, exp 7 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian missile balearic slinger, exp 3 armor 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit iberian infantry light caetratii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian infantry loricati scutarii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit carthaginian infantry dorkim afrikanim aloophim, exp 7 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit iberian cavalry heavy lancearii, exp 4 armor 1 weapon_lvl 1
    end
    console_command give_trait "Hannibal ofcarthago" GoodTactician 3
    console_command give_trait "Hannibal ofcarthago" LogisticalSkill 2
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor
    I think Hannibal should have more command and influence. Maybe command 5 and influence 10 (so as to have much more bodyguards than 40)?

In which file and where should I place this script?
    Thanks for this script! This gives another prospective on my current roman campaign that is close 230 BC!

Quote Originally Posted by pcaravel
    I think Hannibal should have more command and influence. Maybe command 5 and influence 10 (so as to have much more bodyguards than 40)?

In which file and where should I place this script?
    Thanks for this script! This gives another prospective on my current roman campaign that is close 230 BC!
    I think putting the numbers in to his stats there won't actually have any effect - you need to boost them through the traits he has.

This goes in the EBBS.txt script. It's in data\scripts\show me how\

OK, thanks!

I think putting the numbers in to his stats there won't actually have any effect - you need to boost them through the traits he has.
    Which traits should I give him in order to boost influence? My aim is to increase the number of his bodyguards.

White Panther (Legalize Weed!) Member AlexanderSextus's Avatar

Quintus, how can i give money to Makedonia in the console so it doesnt get eaten up by epeiros???

also, is there a way that i can use the console to give Pella back to Makedonia?
    Do you hate Drug Cartels? Do You believe that the Drug War is basically a failure? Do you think that if we Legalized the Cannabis market, that use rates would drop, we could put age limits on cannabis, tax it, and other wise regulate it? Join The ORG Marijuana Policy Project!

In American politics, similar to British politics, we have a choice between being shot in our left testicle or the right testicle. Both parties advocate pissing on the little guys, only in different ways and to a different little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSextus
    Quintus, how can i give money to Makedonia in the console so it doesnt get eaten up by epeiros???
    add_money macedon, 10000

Or however much you want to give them. I think the limit on one command is 40000, so if you want to give them more, you have to do it multiple times.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderSextus
    also, is there a way that i can use the console to give Pella back to Makedonia?
    You can't, you have to use Force Diplomacy and a couple of diplomats to do that.

so If i were to start an historical campaing... do you recommend using medium difficulty? cause it seems that you're having a bad time micro managing all factions...

there is a way to change difficulty on midgame...(and also unit size) I've used it successfully already

it's a program...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=448

but ... I havent tried it on EB...
    Last edited by ||Lz3||; 05-21-2008 at 20:39.
    Spoken languages:

ALEXANDER EB promoter

Member thankful for this post:

Gaias, I've tried this script, but nothing happend. Hannibal didn't appear...
    I've been playing with alex.exe, does it have anything to do with it?

Can you upload your EBBS_SCRIPT.txt to try it, to see if I've made some kind of error in editing mine?

Oh, if anyone is actually waiting on an update to continue their game, there's a thread with a historically accurate timeline in it, which is in essence what I'm writing up.

Clear the battlefield... Member Tarkus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I have to say client rulers have added a lot of fun to my games, and the guy in charge of Messana is being turned into a damned fine general by the amount of battles he's led against Qarthadast.
    Great guide, Quintus!!
    So "the guy in charge of Message" is a client ruler, right? I assume you've eliminated the client ruler movement penalty issue from the earlier versions? Did you do it manually in the appropriate file (sorry, don't remember which one) or did the posted fix take care of it for you?

I'm at 193BC in a 1.0 Romani campaign and I still can't get my client rulers to move out of their settlements...they remain stuck despite my attempt at fixing the issue .
    I like your house rules regarding Romanization but I don't know how realistic this is if I can't allow my client ruler to go forth and sally or otherwise fight...
    I have seen the future and it is very much like the present, only longer -- Kehlog Albran, The Profit

Client rulers are not mobile (although they can sally) in EB 1.0. You need to use EB 1.1 for client rulers to be mobile(but slow.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
    Great guide, Quintus!!
    So "the guy in charge of Message" is a client ruler, right? I assume you've eliminated the client ruler movement penalty issue from the earlier versions? Did you do it manually in the appropriate file (sorry, don't remember which one) or did the posted fix take care of it for you?

I'm at 193BC in a 1.0 Romani campaign and I still can't get my client rulers to move out of their settlements...they remain stuck despite my attempt at fixing the issue .
    I like your house rules regarding Romanization but I don't know how realistic this is if I can't allow my client ruler to go forth and sally or otherwise fight...
    I'm in 1.1 now, so they can move a bit (it's been fixed, although there is a problem with them interloping in the optimised scripts). But the guy in question was mostly just defending Messana against sieges. He proved capable enough not to need my main army nearby to rescue him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaias View Post

how do i make this script work?

cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Roka View Post
    how do i make this script work?

cheers...
    I tried and was unsuccessful. I ended up shipping a FM with as few units attached to him as I could find and shipped him to Italy, where I used create_unit in the console to make that army. I think that's what Quintus did too.

Is the initial post ever going to get any more detail, BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by lobf View Post
    I tried and was unsuccessful. I ended up shipping a FM with as few units attached to him as I could find and shipped him to Italy, where I used create_unit in the console to make that army. I think that's what Quintus did too.

Is the initial post ever going to get any more detail, BTW?
    cool, does hannibal barca spawn anyway? as in is he a character that, obviously providing one of his ancestors doesn't die, is born?

No, he's not in it.
    I shouldn't have to live in a world where all the good points are horrible ones.

Is he hurt? Everybody asks that. Nobody ever says, 'What a mess! I hope the doctor is not emotionally harmed by having to deal with it.'

I think the Victory Conditions mod is a necessary part of following this guide. It's not perfect, but it at least encourages the AI factions to head in the right direction.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast