Thread: Tactics for all TW games

Default Tactics for all TW games

Well i would just like to post this here, as i would like to see what formations and tactics people have picked up outside of these forums, this is of interest to me as i personally did not think of any spectacular tactics or formations, the only exception i can think of is the crown formation, but me and Insane834 were trying that out, also he was already registered on this forums at the time, and we were greatly influenced by videos on Youtube

Well to start off, id put forward the Crown Formation, this consists of 3 units of wedged mailed cavalry, with 5 units of heavy infantry (our formation included dismounted feudal knights, so we are not sure about other combinations) and a general behind...

The wedged mailed knights form the spikes, the dismounted feudall knights formed the main band of the crown, and the general was the head...

Well what you do is rush your cavalry into any enemies formation, creating several chinks (gaps or weakened areas) then you throw your heavy infantry into the chinks causing them to winden and your enemy to become shaken, and then finally drive your general into the backs of the engaged enemy infantry, causing them to rout.

Im not sure if this would work in different situations, but i used it during a siege, i attacked an enemy siege unit before they could build up their siege engines, and i was greatly outnumbered with infantry, and the majority of my army were highland archers, so the enemy was beyond their range, so i had to attack the enemy...

Also the majority of the enemy were spearmen, backed by 2 units of dismounted feudal knights, but meh, it worked

This is the only formation i can take credit for, i thought of it by myself (ok and insane too) I cant think of any others that i have actually used without knowledge of forum members
    Need help unpacking the files and your computer is a Vista??? Visit this thread
    Visit the Holy Babe Thread There are no excuses for not visiting us there, apart from
    1. Your Wierd
    2. Your Under aged
    3. Your a girl
    But then, why dont girls make a 'hunk' thread or something???

Savaran Commander Member Hound of Ulster's Avatar

Default Re: Tactics for all TW games

attack, attack, and attack. Don't be afraid of the enemy if only has a few more units then you, but retire if you are vastly out-numbered. In RTW/BI and thier mods, destroy the armies in the field, then take the cities. Use all cavalry armies with Byzantines (Med XL), Persians/Parthians (RS, RTR, RTW/BI, IBFD) and the nomadic factions like the Mongols and Scythians.
    'Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War' Plato

'Ar nDuctas' O'Dougherty clan motto

'In Peace, sons bury thier fathers; In War, fathers bury thier sons' Thucydides

'Forth Eorlingas!' motto of the Riders of Rohan

'dammit, In for a Penny, In for a Pound!' the Duke of Wellington

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

I call this formation the Basic, Only-Use-When-Equal-Numbers, Cliche'd-and-Over-Used formation...
    Code:
    ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo
    ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo ooooo
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
    mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm
    mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm
    ccccc ccccc ccccc ..... ..... ccccc ccccc ccccc
    ccccc ccccc ccccc ..... ..... ccccc ccccc ccccc
    o = Skirmishers/Archers
    x = Spearmen
    m = Infantry
    c = Cavalry
    With general stowed safely away somewhere.
    How it works: Skirmishers expend ammo on the enemy advancing or duel it out with enemy skirmishers. When enemy is close or your outta ammo pull back and let spears engage. Infantry on the wings flank and infantry at centre provide support if needed. Cavalry charge at the rear.

Variables: Heavy Infantry for flanking duties. Light Infantry for centre of the battle line. Skirmishing cavalry or Archer cavalry can screen forward and scout and provide flanking duties, leaving the heavy infantry for main battle line support. Note the gap between the Infantry and the Spearmen, so skirmishers can still fire volleys over the heads of the Spearmen and don't have to retreat so far back. Ingenious idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

How about this :

aa (2)
    iiiiiii (7)
    chhhhc(2)(4)
    c (1)

2 archers to stall the enemy in shootout and exhaust enemy archers, 7 infantry to defeat enemy infantry, 3 camels to take out any amount of cavalry the enemy has and 4 cavalry to bring the decisive blow.
    Abandon all hope.