Poll: Polyamorous/ polygamy, etc. Good or bad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polyamorous/polygamist relationships: good or bad? Why?

Default Polyamorous/polygamist relationships: good or bad? Why?

Is polyamority (sic prolly) or polygamy between consenting adults wrong?

It's illegal here in the states, but should it be? Why?
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Default Re: Polyamorous/polygamist relationships: good or bad? Why?

I don't see how it's any of the state's business what consenting adults do in the bedroom.*

So no.

*for obvious health reasons, this does not include incest. You hear that, royals?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Not my business

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

I must agree with the majority here. I see no reason why it shouldn't be legal.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Each to his own, really, so long as no other lines are crossed, ie consent, freedom of choice, age and consanguinity limits, property and inheritance rights properly defined etc etc

AFAIK all the recent "polygamy" issues have really been about one of those other facets.

But it's all one big can of worms: govt vs individual, govt vs religious groups, religious vs secular. Should one religious group have a privileged position based on statements by their prophets? Should the dominant religion's morality be imposed on all? State-church separation, and freedom of religion all have a role too, so who's got the right to say "my way is the only way"? No-one, IMHO
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Ancient TW2: Eastern Empires is under development again

Featuring: Rise of Persia, Alexander's Conquests, Wars of the Diadochi

A great Yes.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    And a great Hurrah for the fact that this is a poll, I have been missing these.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I don't care - this isn't one of those laws that bothers me.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

As with almost anything to do with sex between consenting adults, don't give a damn, as long as it's done safely.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

I wouldn't agree with publicly labeling it as a "marriage" as I come from one of those faiths for whom the union of one man and one woman is a sacrament.

However, polyandrous and polygamous relationships for others, in and of themselves, are mostly a matter for the consenting adults involved. The "civil union" thing can be defined more flexibly than marriage without causing harm.

As to whether or no there is any "harm" done, I think the bulk of human experience points to unions of one male and one female being the most broadly acceptable choice for social stability and societal strength. There are cultures where other forms were practiced (are practiced?) so a blanket statement that all such are "harmful" may not be appropriate.

Note: Div' you really need to get into Don C's. "under the bridge" thread and do a little shriving.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

I don't think polygamy can be accomodated in modern western law, so no.

it doesnt really bother me.... but dont see any reason reason why it shouldn't be legal.

There are cultures that still practice polygamy... Marriage laws in India are dependent upon the religion of the individual. Muslims in India are allowed to have/have multiple wives(i have a couple of friends whose father practices polygamy....though it must be said they are 50+ years old)...illegal for Hindus.

That depends on my income and how far it goes in the area I live in. For a while yet it seems like a system where many loves are totally legal would leave me at a big disadvantage.

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Seamus Fermanagh
    I wouldn't agree with publicly labeling it as a "marriage" as I come from one of those faiths for whom the union of one man and one woman is a sacrament.

However, polyandrous and polygamous relationships for others, in and of themselves, are mostly a matter for the consenting adults involved. The "civil union" thing can be defined more flexibly than marriage without causing harm.

As to whether or no there is any "harm" done, I think the bulk of human experience points to unions of one male and one female being the most broadly acceptable choice for social stability and societal strength. There are cultures where other forms were practiced (are practiced?) so a blanket statement that all such are "harmful" may not be appropriate.
    Agreed. I have no objection to other couples doing it, but I personally find it immoral and wrong. You're with someone, you're bound to them. I consider any relations of this kind with anyone other than your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend to be cheating.

No reason it shouldn't be legal, but it should not be encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    Agreed. I have no objection to other couples doing it, but I personally find it immoral and wrong. You're with someone, you're bound to them. I consider any relations of this kind with anyone other than your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend to be cheating.
    Well, since both of them are considered your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend, it still wouldn't be cheating by your standard...

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    Well, since both of them are considered your spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend, it still wouldn't be cheating by your standard...
    Well, yes it would, since I believe you should only have one of the above at any one time.

I find the benefits of such an arrangement to be intriguing, as even a conservative approach to the concept with only two wives could provide a substantial benefit to all family members involved. And this is of course absent the sexual component, which I find to be an aside in the matter.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Anyoe feel a yearning for zion ?
    or is is just bad timing for a polygamist topic

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by disco
    For a while yet it seems like a system where many loves are totally legal would leave me at a big disadvantage.
    Interesting point, I remember there was an article here once with that statement proposed. I.E. polygamy bad for average bloke, as the "better" or "richer" men would get more wives thus reducing the amount left for everyone else.
    Last edited by naut; 04-10-2008 at 08:33.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

I don't see why it shouldn't be legal (as long as it's both polygamy and polyandry that are legalized), but I can't actually see it working either. There's bound to be jealousy, or worse I think, but if some can manage to have a healthy relationship that way, who are we or the government to deny them that?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Is this poll just for Western society, or the world in general?

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

don´t see any reason to make it illegal...as long as we are talking about consenting adults and nobody is being harmed what´s the problem?
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Good for whom?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Interesting point, I remember there was an article here once with that statement proposed. I.E. polygamy bad for average bloke, as the "better" or "richer" men would get more wives thus reducing the amount left for everyone else.
    I think I recall reading the same (or at least similar) article. It's kinda obvious when you think about it: because polygyny (one man, multiple wives) creates scarcity of females, uglier woman have an easier time finding a guy. Conversely, monogamy is advantagous for the average guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    I think I recall reading the same (or at least similar) article. It's kinda obvious when you think about it: because polygyny (one man, multiple wives) creates scarcity of females, uglier woman have an easier time finding a guy. Conversely, monogamy is advantagous for the average guy.
    Why on earth shouldn't one wife;multiple men be allowed?

BTW, having a ton of gay men also solve that problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    Why do polygamist always go for underaged kids? I guess because they are the only ones that will say 'yes'

GoreBag: Oh, Prole, you're a nerd's wet dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    That's not the kind of thing I'm talking about. Silly Tribesman.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    Why on earth shouldn't one wife;multiple men be allowed?
    I think sex is a private business (lol), number of participants or their gender is completely up to them.

Marriage and the associated consequenses dicated by the state is another matter, I think it should be kept strictly between two people (of any gender combination)

I think sex is a private business (lol), number of participants or their gender is completely up to them.

Marriage and the associated consequenses dicated by the state is another matter, I think it should be kept strictly between two people (of any gender combination)
    Well said.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Age, species? Laws are designed to be good enough, tailored to every individual desire.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast