Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volga Kiptchacks denied NATO membership....

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Default Volga Kiptchacks denied NATO membership....

The Vardarska Bulgars where kept out of NATO by the Makedonian Premier Minister of Hellas....
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7326017.stm
    And rightfully so....
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Default Re: Volga Kiptchacks denied NATO membership....

Their cavalry isn't that great anyway. I prefer the Cumans.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rightfully so?!

This is NATO, not the Greek's private tea club. You don't get to exclude people because you had a little prissy fit with them, especially when your contribution to NATO is the size that Greece's is!

Sheesh.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Volga Kiptchacks denied NATO membership....

It's not NATO but OTAN! Hence, I demand we obstruct future OTAN summits by veto'ing the Former Turkish Colony of Greece. I mean, surely the OTAN expansion and the Afghanistan mission are mere trivialities compared to the righteous and rational sensitivities of prime member states.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Obviously Macedonia must change its name. That is the only way to ensure that it will not invade a province of its neighbour's. Joining a collective security arrangement is obviously totally insufficient demonstrate its peaceful intentions.

Greek foreign policy = fail
    Last edited by Furious Mental; 04-03-2008 at 18:07.

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

What is the problem anyway? A province in Greece is also called Macedonia? Why should the Greeks meddle in the affairs of another nation?
    Is there any rule against a province and a country that bear the same name?

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Burn Greece to the Gound...

troll
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 04-03-2008 at 19:17.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Where's Rome when you need them?

What have they ever done for us?
    Last edited by Vladimir; 04-03-2008 at 19:24.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Down with dried flowers!

Quote Originally Posted by Conradus
    What is the problem anyway? A province in Greece is also called Macedonia? Why should the Greeks meddle in the affairs of another nation?
    Is there any rule against a province and a country that bear the same name?

Let's have a war already

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway_...ambiguation%29
    Last edited by Viking; 04-03-2008 at 19:35.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

We want the Macedonians in NATO why? They have what to contribute, exactly?

We want the Macedonians in NATO why? They have what to contribute, exactly?
    Bodies. Bloody good infantry. They have this young upstart prince who's good with the cavalry and shows a lot of promise.
    Last edited by Vladimir; 04-03-2008 at 21:10.

Down with dried flowers!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Well calling the Greek Nazi's is harsh, considering. As to the name of the FYRM isn't historical Macedonia. It covers less than a tenth of Philip's Balkan Empire, end of. All this "we own Alexander" stuff is nonsense from both sides but to suggest that he was born anywhere other than Pella in modern Greece is absurd.

It's a stupid name for a Slav country to choose because it doesn't have anything to do with Slavs.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Point being? Belgium has very little in common with the Belgae Caesar wrote about. Hellas/Greece is nothing like ancient Hellas.
    The claiming to be descendents of Alexander is utter rubbish of course, but naming your country Macedon hardly seems a major issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Bodies. Bloody good infantry.
    Yes, wonderful, great. However, NATO's already pretty big, with the USA, Britain, Germany, and France having at least decent armed forces. Then there's Spain, Poland, Italy, Turkey. I think all of these countries can stand to contribute some more forces, with, perhaps, the exceptions of American and Britain. Macedonia? Honestly, they're peanuts.

Yes, wonderful, great. However, NATO's already pretty big, with the USA, Britain, Germany, and France having at least decent armed forces. Then there's Spain, Poland, Italy, Turkey. I think all of these countries can stand to contribute some more forces, with, perhaps, the exceptions of American and Britain. Macedonia? Honestly, they're peanuts.
    But they want something from us which gives us the initiative.

Down with dried flowers!

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conradus
    Point being? Belgium has very little in common with the Belgae Caesar wrote about. Hellas/Greece is nothing like ancient Hellas.
    The claiming to be descendents of Alexander is utter rubbish of course, but naming your country Macedon hardly seems a major issue.
    Point being that Ancient Makedon occupies modern Makedonia in Greece. Albanian and Slavic Macedonian claims to ownership of the world's fastest conquerer are complete tripe. Why anyone would really want to be associated with the little psycho though I'll never know.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Perhaps Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Papua New Guinea and Guinea will have an all-out brawl.
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malcolm
    Perhaps Equatorial Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Papua New Guinea and Guinea will have an all-out brawl.
    Considering only two of them share a border, and, as far as I can see, all have minimal or non-existant naval forces, it should be a good show.

This comment is witty! Senior Member LittleGrizzly's Avatar

I read all the reply's before the article so i was thinking this was just over the name, which is just stupid.

Seems to be mainly about some terroritorial claims which the PM or president supported by laying a wreath next to a map of, and some nazi insults which are water off a ducks back as far as im concerned. Seen as macedonia aren't going to be able to take terroritory off greece i don't really see what stopping macedonia joining nato actually achieves for greece ?

revenge for the nazi comments ? show them not to mess with the greek flag again ?

maybe the topic starter could explain what is achieved through the use of the veto, the only thing i understood is the Greek pm has to do it to please the electorate, im assuming its nationalism thats guiding this....
    In remembrance of our great Admin Tosa Inu, A tireless worker with the patience of a saint. As long as I live I will not forget you. Thank you for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    Point being that Ancient Makedon occupies modern Makedonia in Greece. Albanian and Slavic Macedonian claims to ownership of the world's fastest conquerer are complete tripe.
    I second your second sentence, but wouldn't the fastes conquerors be the Mongols?
    And at least part of Philips kingdom strechted into the present Macedon.
    Anyhow, to me it's all much ado about nothing

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Both countries should not be members of Nato or the EU on account of their internal repression and corruption. In addition there is Greece's constant treachery. It broke with Nato in 1999 over Kosovo, supported Milosevic and tried to sabotage the sanctions against Serbia while the troops of other members, including Dutch pilots, were risking their lives over Kosovo. Why should we ever protect Greece from foreign agression? Totally useless. Kick 'em out of Nato altogether.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGrizzly
    Seems to be mainly about some terroritorial claims which the PM or president supported by laying a wreath next to a map of, and some nazi insults which are water off a ducks back as far as im concerned. Seen as macedonia aren't going to be able to take terroritory off greece i don't really see what stopping macedonia joining nato actually achieves for greece ?
    I wouldn't be particularly surprised if the Greek government is indeed worried that having FYROM joining NATO would give them that bit more legitimacy, that bit more leverage to actually make serious work of their territorial claims. And justifiably so - if it wants to be viewed as a serious nation state it should bloody well start behaving like one in international circles.

But these sort of problems do seem to just happen to dog Greek governments... Cyprus, anyone? Just goes to show how badly the allies screwed up the former Ottoman possessions after the Great War, on a similar scale to Iraq.

Edit: Adrian II, I'd be interested in any literature on their history of Greece and NATO, particularly the issues mentioned. Articles I can find in due course, but are there any books (at least touching) on the subject to start from?
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 04-04-2008 at 09:55.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    Both countries should not be members of Nato or the EU on account of their internal repression and corruption. In addition there is Greece's constant treachery. It broke with Nato in 1999 over Kosovo, supported Milosevic and tried to sabotage the sanctions against Serbia while the troops of other members, including Dutch pilots, were risking their lives over Kosovo. Why should we ever protect Greece from foreign agression? Totally useless. Kick 'em out of Nato altogether.
    Hmm, never heard about that before, are you a reliable source or should I look for a range of reliable primary sources on the matter?
    If that's true, they should indeed be kicked out.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    Hmm, never heard about that before, are you a reliable source or should I look for a range of reliable primary sources on the matter?
    If that's true, they should indeed be kicked out.
    Geoffrey and Husar, try Michas.

EDIT
    I almost forgot, the Dutch Srebrenica Report contains lots of information as well, particularly part III on Intelligence. Soon after the start of the conflict in Yugoslavia, Nato stopped sharing intelligence with the Greeks because they leaked it to Belgrade and to the Bosnian Serbs. Greek arms merchants openly provided the Bosnina Serbs with weapons and ammunition through the port of Bar. The Tribunal in The Hague established that Milosevic had 250 accounts with Greek banks, despite countless Greek denials. The Greek Orthodox Church played its own part, sending priests to morally support the Bosnian Serb troops, giving Karadzic a hero's welcome in Athens in 1993 and openly supporting the recruitment of Greek volunteers to fight with the Serbs. When they attacked Srebrenica in 1995, Greek volunteers were fighting alongside the Serbs. The embattled Dutch troops saw them raise the Greek flag over the enclave after it fell. Messages intercepted by Nato show they did so at Generla Mladic's request 'to honour the Greek boys'. These volunteers later returned safely to Greece. Only under international pressure did Athens start a token prosecution of some of them.

For the record, I didn't agree with the bombing of Kosovo either. But providing succour and even military support to the enemy of your allies is not cricket.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-04-2008 at 11:11.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Looks fascinating. Book is now on its way out of the university library. In the provided link, this quote in particular stood out when related to the current subject:
    Another important contribution of the book is the account of the sustained efforts throughout the 1990s by Greek diplomacy to destabilize or at least to prevent the international recognition of the Republic of Macedonia at all, or, later on, under its constitutional name. Afraid -correctly- that such a development would only make inevitable the acknowledgment that a Macedonian minority exists in Greece -which it does, but that is Greek society's major taboo-, these efforts included even exchange of views with Milosevic to "swallow up" Macedonia, perhaps within the context of a Greek-Serb Confederation.
    Far more than meets the eye, puts things in a somewhat different light than the usual presentations. Thanks!
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    Bodies. Bloody good infantry. They have this young upstart prince who's good with the cavalry and shows a lot of promise.
    A Prince of Shepherds? I don't see him going anywhere...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Are we really going to be squeemish about volunteers taking a side in a conflict? We should have let it rot in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    Far more than meets the eye, puts things in a somewhat different light than the usual presentations. Thanks!
    It shows how the Nato issue is intimately connected to Greece's refusal to recognize its own large Macedonian minority - or any other minority, for that matter, given the rampant ethnic chauvinism of successive governments and the Orthodox Church (another religion of peace, no doubt).

The result is often ricidulous. In 2001, a man was convicted to 15 months in prison for promoting Vlach, a minority language. Mr Sotiris Bletsas was accused of disseminating "false information" about a European minority language. His only crime was to refer to the existence of the Vlach language in information material produced by Brussels, and financed by the Commission. In other words, he was convicted for using the freedom of expression that is guaranteed by most modern democraties as well as by the EU of which Greece is, sadly, a member state.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-04-2008 at 14:30.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit
    Rightfully so?!

This is NATO, not the Greek's private tea club. You don't get to exclude people because you had a little prissy fit with them, especially when your contribution to NATO is the size that Greece's is!

Sheesh
    CR
    Totally seconded. Keep your Balkan ethnodrama where it belongs, thanks.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 04-04-2008 at 20:47.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Master of Puppets Member hellenes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    It shows how the Nato issue is intimately connected to Greece's refusal to recognize its own large Macedonian minority - or any other minority, for that matter, given the rampant ethnic chauvinism of successive governments and the Orthodox Church (another religion of peace, no doubt).

The result is often ricidulous. In 2001, a man was convicted to 15 months in prison for promoting Vlach, a minority language. Mr Sotiris Bletsas was accused of disseminating "false information" about a European minority language. His only crime was to refer to the existence of the Vlach language in information material produced by Brussels, and financed by the Commission. In other words, he was convicted for using the freedom of expression that is guaranteed by most modern democraties as well as by the EU of which Greece is, sadly, a member state.
    What "Matsedonian"? Some Volga Kypchaks that came in 7th cent AD? So should the Volgan Administrative Area in Russia around Volgograd be renamed "Matsedonia"? Oh and if some of the Kyptchaks are trying to plagiarise a history while lacking one of their own what should we do? Bend over? As for that finished agent of Mr Soros "Bletsas" one should first ask who were Averof Zappas and other Vlachs that contributed hugely in the modern Hellenic state....would they do this if they didnt consider themselves Greek? Ignorance is a bliss surely...
    Impunity is an open wound in the human soul.

ΑΙΡΕΥΟΝΤΑΙ ΕΝ ΑΝΤΙ ΑΠΑΝΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΑΡΙΣΤΟΙ ΚΛΕΟΣ ΑΕΝΑΟΝ ΘΝΗΤΩΝ ΟΙ ΔΕ ΠΟΛΛΟΙ ΚΕΚΟΡΗΝΤΑΙ ΟΚΩΣΠΕΡ ΚΤΗΝΕΑ

The best choose one thing in exchange for all, everflowing fame among mortals; but the majority are satisfied with just feasting like beasts.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast