Thread: Unit modding help

Default Unit modding help

I'm currently using the XL mod and i wish to mod the Varangian Guard to be avaliable in all ages but only in Constantinople as to give the AI a fighting chance.Could someone explain exactly how to do it as I already messed up my game once,attempting to do it,required a complete uninstall and re-install to fix whatever I did wrong.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Unit modding help

You will need to change a few entries in the unit_prod files (not sure about XL, I think it has an XL_early, XL_high and XL_late, in which case all will need to be altered).

The easiest way is to use the Gnome editor (available from the Org downloads), and always back up any files you are about to change

Find the entry for Varangian guards and scroll across the columns until you find the era column - change "EARLY" (or "HIGH"?) to "ALL_PERIODS". Scroll further across until you find a column headed something like "Province requirements" (if it's any help check another unit that is only available in limited provinces to find the right column, eg Welsh Longbows). In your VG line you will then need to add "ID_CONSTANTINOPLE". For completeness you should also do the final column (custom game selection) and change that to read "ALL_PERIODS", too. Do the same in all relevant unit_prod files.

When you save the new prod files from Gnome it is a good idea to open them again using a text editor like Notepad and check there is no extraneous material tagged on the end. If there is, delete it and resave. Then you should have your Varangians in Constantinople only, but for all periods
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Will the file Crusaders_unit_prod11.txt need to be changed as well?

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Only the XL ones, the vanilla ones aren't used by XL
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Just one more question if you'd be so kind:Why is the Tiberius add-on to XL so damn hard to change? I attempted the same changes that I originally asked about in it and somehow it kept complaining about the stats for the Halberdiers,but I didn't change them,so then I loaded my backups and it didn't like the FN_swiss line in one of the files,Only way to fix it was to remove the mod and re-installl both XL and then the tiberius mod.Did this to me 5 times in a row..
    Last edited by oz_wwjd; 04-22-2008 at 01:58.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Just a quick note: make sure those backups were of Tyberius' add-on and not the original XL. I've done that a few times where I thought that my backups were the latest ones only to find out that they were years old...
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

yeah I did,but Tiberius add-on seems harder to mod than the XL mod at least for me
    Last edited by oz_wwjd; 04-24-2008 at 05:41. Reason: Screwed-up spelling