Thread: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

This is the AAR thread for my EB 1.1 Romani game (H/M with rtw.exe). I had promised myself I'd wait a week or two for the bugs to show and fixes to come out, but when I got home the other day it had finished downloading. Thing is some of the fun went out of my 1.0 game when the Parthians died, meaning I could never have them a major power in the 1st century BC. And while I would like to get my mini-mod starting in 250BC going, that's not going to be a quick project.

Besides which, if I'm honest I have a soft spot for Camillian troops who are kind of cool in their own way. I've discovered my new favourite allied troop as well in the Bruttian infantry.

I'm playing to historical expansion and composition, as per my WIP guide

We open in 270BC:

The garrison of Taras sallied out to defeat, despite outnumbering the Roman forces at the tail end of 272BC, meaning it was taken in an appropriate year. That task done, 271 was spent making good two armies for the southern and northern pushes. Most important of all was to retake Rhegion and restore Roman honour by punishing the traitor.

In the above I'd just taken Rhegion and the following turn, at the end of the winter of 270 Bononia's garrison sallied out and was handed a decisive pasting.

Of note with the AI factions was Epeiros' brushing the Makedones aside to their capital and Demetrius. I wasn't too happy about that, especially as they seemed set to destroy Koinon Hellenon as well. Something I don't like are superpowers growing in my backyard.

Fortunately Force Diplomacy and some creativity with the console arrested their behaviour. I lumped them with a 50k penalty to stop them recruiting, then took settlements off them. By 266BC they'd gone very quiet indeed:

Then I turned my attentions to Pontos who rushed to an early lead in Asia Minor. Ideally I'd like their new settlements to go rebel again rather than go to any one faction. I've got my usual plan in store for Galatia - I'll gift it to the Arverni this time, though.

I've been gifting money via the console to the Hai and Baktria. I did initially to Pahlava, but they seem to be doing just fine. The Getai are similarly sweeping their region while the three Hellenic factions beat seven shades out of each other.

264BC:

The First Punic War has begun, although the opening was a bit of a damp squib. A show of force by the Karthadastim, then they high-tailed it back to Lilibeo. I may have to resort to scripting some reinforcements for them, so we have an actual battle or three (how would I do that?).

I'm also struggling financially a little, but that's because I have two full consular legions when I can only really support one. I only make a profit of around 1.5k a turn right now. Warring with my best trading partner hasn't helped matters, either.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-10-2008 at 00:30.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default Re: [Romani AAR] It began on seven hills...

I think it would be better if you played alternate history instead of recreating it. So many Roman AARs go the strict route of trying to replicate history. I think its a shame that you abandoned your old AAR just because 1.1 is out. You put so much work into that one. I wish people wouldnt give up on their AARs so easily. Seems they really get going and suddenly Poof! they are dead. Sigh oh well I guess I am just venting. Carry on then!

As I've already said, I'm not interested in alternate history. That doesn't give me any kind of guide as to what I should be doing and I'd either spend a lot of time turtling and building myself up without acting, or rashly going out there and grabbing stuff. I only play EB because I want a historical simulation, and a chance to test out my house rules.

The other AAR was always struggling to maintain my interest after Pahlava died, it was only then that I realised how important it is to keep an eye on the other factions from the very beginning, not just later on.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)

Dude! Give Pyrrhus his due and give him back his territories.

If you want to stop him pwning the Macedonians fight him! Don't use Force Diplomacy.
    OMG I haz a balloon,
    -awarded by chairman

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai!
    Dude! Give Pyrrhus his due and give him back his territories.

If you want to stop him pwning the Macedonians fight him! Don't use Force Diplomacy.
    I'm not fighting the Epirotes now I've taken Taras, nor engaging in an ahistorical early war in Greece. I've got war with Qarthadast, that's more than enough to content with, without losing even more trade income.

Besides which, all Makedonia were left with was Mytilene, and I didn't want them abandoning Greece and expanding out into Asia Minor.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-10-2008 at 11:21.

261BC:

Pontos is still expanding at an alarming rate, last turn they took Ankyra, which I gave to the Arverni via Force Dipliomacy. Nothing I have in the region can slow them down, my only spy just died trying to get into Nikaia. I've got two more on their way to try to foment some unrest and hopefully spark rebellions back to the Eleutheroi. If they take Tylis and I can't get it to revolt, I'll give it to Makedonia. What's most annoying is they're not even trying to take Sinope after failing the first time.

I took Messana a couple of turns ago, now things in Sicily have gone a bit cold. Apparently in 257BC or so there's a coming of age in Lilibeo which makes them more aggressive, so I'll wait for that to get the hot war moving. Then once we've had a battle or two, I'll send that stack to Africa.

I've been long-sieging Segesta, about to start again for the final time. Has had the side benefit of culling the Gaesatae who will make taking it hard.

The taking of Messana has helped my economy a lot, now clearing around 4k in profit a year, which I've been putting to good effect building some farms and markets.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-10-2008 at 13:21.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    As I've already said, I'm not interested in alternate history. That doesn't give me any kind of guide as to what I should be doing and I'd either spend a lot of time turtling and building myself up without acting, or rashly going out there and grabbing stuff. I only play EB because I want a historical simulation, and a chance to test out my house rules.

The other AAR was always struggling to maintain my interest after Pahlava died, it was only then that I realised how important it is to keep an eye on the other factions from the very beginning, not just later on.
    The beauty of alternate history is that you are not chained to what actually happened. The AI does not follow history. You said you quit your last campaign because the Pahlava were killed off. That can happen in EB. Its what makes the game fascinating. The AI does not play by your rules which is why it is easier to adapt to the situations that you are presented with. One of the most enjoyable aspects of AARs is not knowing what is going to happen next. One of the most intense and long fought wars I ever did was when I was Rome and had to face the Macedonian Juggernaut that had taken over everything south of the Danube. It was amazing because I had to come up with tactics to beat them without Legionnaires. I think the AI will frustrate your efforts. Not only will you micromanage your own faction but you will have to do that for the other dozen factions as well. Just trying to save you a lot of trouble later on thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    The beauty of alternate history is that you are not chained to what actually happened. The AI does not follow history. You said you quit your last campaign because the Pahlava were killed off. That can happen in EB. Its what makes the game fascinating. The AI does not play by your rules which is why it is easier to adapt to the situations that you are presented with. One of the most enjoyable aspects of AARs is not knowing what is going to happen next. One of the most intense and long fought wars I ever did was when I was Rome and had to face the Macedonian Juggernaut that had taken over everything south of the Danube. It was amazing because I had to come up with tactics to beat them without Legionnaires. I think the AI will frustrate your efforts. Not only will you micromanage your own faction but you will have to do that for the other dozen factions as well. Just trying to save you a lot of trouble later on thats all.
    It makes the game a lot more interesting for me having to keep an eye on them. Just focusing on your own faction without a view to the balance of power elsewhere quickly turns into a rather boring game of queuing stuff with the occasional battle here and there.

Furthermore, it gives your agents something meaningful to do. Diplomats, spies and assassins are all active parts of keeping the AI factions balanced, rather than just people you occasionally use for yourself.

Plus it stops you rushing out there, which inevitably seems to be involved in people playing "alternate history". It wasn't actually that much trouble in the other game, and I've started earlier this time around.

257BC:

Just as someone said, in 259BC a Karthadastim family member came of age, and suddenly they became a lot more aggressive. I've been giving them money in the hopes they'll hire a fair few of the huge numbers of mercs washing around Sicily. I've been avoiding hiring any of them myself.

There's a genuine stalemate in Libya between Seleukids and Ptolemies. Baktria are starting to get into their swing. Pahlava are giving the Seleukids a lot of trouble. Epeiros have fully gone to sleep, they're now a Makedonian protectorate and doing nothing. Koinon Hellenon keep attacking the Seleukids in Asia Minor after Halikarnassos rebelled to them.

looking good man. Seems like a lot of work keeping everyone in line but it seems to be working. I am excited about the second Punic War!
    Since you have established yourself on the forums don't forget to visit the other active AARS and give your thoughts. Us AAR writers appreciate the input of other writers. It helps make the community stronger
    Keep up the good work!

Campaigns in Cisalpine Gaul, 219BC

Decimus Claudius Pulcher was a tribune and the proconsul Scipio's deputy. He'd been left to manage things in Mediolanum while the general joined the other consular army to take Segesta and attempt to pacify Liguria. However the Cenomani, allies of the Insubre along with some other kinfolk gathered a force and besieged Pulcher in the Insubre capital.

Hearing of the defeat of several Ligurian tribes in the south, that band raised the siege and began to drift away. Wasting no time, Pulcher marched out in pursuit, bringing them to battle in the forests west of Mediolanum.

He had no authority to command alone, but the tribunes and centurions were all agreed that the threat needed to be dealt with immediately. He drew up the men on the edge of the forest, and waited for the Gauls.

After a wait of an hour, he knew he had to seize the day or the Gauls would slip away. He ordered the men forward.

The first contact was made by the skirmishers, but it was unclear who gained the upper hand.

In the chaos that followed, the leader of the warband fell.

The warband collapsed, each warrior looking only to his own survival. They streamed out of the north side of the forest, into a clearing. Roman cavalry and skirmishers followed in hot pursuit.

With that, Pulcher had won the day.

He pulled his victorious troops back to their billets in Mediolanum and resumed his duties monitoring the local tribes.

Meanwhile further south, the propraetor Decimus Aemilius Mamercus advanced with the army of Scipio to face two Arverni armies. With him was Kaeso Sergius Orata. Two chieftains, cousins by birth led each of the Gallic armies.

Battle was offered in the thick forest, and even deployment proved problematic. Mamercus had trouble communicating with the wings of his army, runners got lost on their way to and from Orata on the right and the decurion Titus Annaeus on the left.

The Gauls came on in a disordered mass, ripe targets for the Roman skirmishers.

On the right, some parts of the Roman line met the enemy, but the situation was confused.

Frustrated at being unable to see anything, Orata took some allied cavalry and scouted ahead of the Roman line, hoping to find a route in which he could flank the fighting. He ran into Moggortos and his bodyguard, who put up a stiff fight, driving Orata off.

Mamercus dispatched his extraordinarii to assist in the brawl on the right. In the frenzied fighting there, one of the picked men slayed Moggortos.

A panic spread through the Gallic ranks, and in the ensuing flight Cogidubnos was killed by Annaeus' troops. The cousins had died bravely, but to little avail.

With little loss to his own force, the disordered pursuit devastated the Gallic army.

The twin defeats overawed many of the local tribes, who sought to come to their own accomdation with the Roman conquerers. There would be another time, but for now they needed to gather their strength.

219BC:

Only a couple of seasons on from the last one, but some changes. Pictured is Spain, where I've been having fun with the move_character command to bolster Qarthadast forces. They've now got three near-full stacks there, and I'm hoping they might provoke the Lusotanii while they're at it. I'm at war with them now, courtesy of using the troops I got when I FD'd Garama to the Saba to attack them. I later disbanded them, but the point is the Second Punic War is now on. Now it's a race to get the proconsul Scipio and his army to Emporion to protect the allied communities there.

Elsewhere in the world, I've been using the move_character command to alter the dynamics of some conflicts. In Syria the Ptolemies have lost three armies which are now in Egypt and unable to attack the Seleukids. The Hai have almost nothing in Scythia now. I also had to pull a big Aedui force out of Germany. Things are calmer now.

Winter campaign in Liguria, 219BC

Determined to bring the conflict with the Arverni to a close before the year's elections, Decimus Aemilius Mamercus pursued the last Gallic remnants still harrassing allied communities. They offered battle in one of the mountain passes still clear enough to travel through, and eager to finish this business Mamercus assented. He had superior numbers, even if they had chosen the ground.

Kaeso Sergius Orata had an idea on seeing the lie of the land. He broached this idea to the general in the consilum the night before battle. He and some picked troops - the pedites extraordinarii, some slingers and a few horse - would deploy on the hill overlooking the pass, and make their way around the other side of the broken ground topping the hill. It would be their job to distract and hold the enemy until the main force arrived. A risky plan, but one that could bring a great victory.

Orata and his men made their way across the ridge to meet the enemy.

Meanwhile Mamercus and the main body made their way through the pass, and on to the long climb up the hillside. They would be vulnerable during this climb, and would likely need to rest and reform before engaging. This was why it was imperative that Orata kept the enemy distracted so that Mamercus could get into position.

From the top of the hill, Brennos could see the Romans moving in two groups, but he couldn't fathom the meaning of it. Even so, his men held a strong position so he was confident. Let those foolish weaklings tire themselves out marching up and down hills.

Orata's men engage the enemy, the extraordinarii forming a literal barrier with their heavily-armoured bodies and a wall of locked shields to protect the slingers.

The main force begin the climb, unmolested by missile fire from the distracted Gauls.

Most of the Gauls charge Orata's small band, and it's only the valour and resolve of the extraordinarii that prevents disaster. They stand firm.

Meanwhile only some skirmishers and a band of fanatics realise the danger from the main force. The fanatics charge and inflict grievous losses as they fight with inhuman endurance.

Brennos feeds more troops into the fray and leads his own chosen men to join the fight. The tribune accepts Brennos' challenge and charges to meet him. Orata's bodyguard suffer many losses before one of his troopers pulls the tribune out of the fray to rest and gather themselves behind the steadfast extraordinarii.

Brennos breaks through the Roman line and pursues the slingers. Orata follows, catching the Gallic chieftain off-guard. Men falling down left and right, Brennos takes flight.

But not to be denied, Orata pursues the chieftain, swearing vengeance for his lost comrades. He rides the Gallic warlord down, killing him with his spear.

Unaware that their leader has fallen, the scrap continues. Mamercus begins to send fresh troops to aid Orata.

Their arrival breaks the resolve of the Gauls, who break and flee.

In the ensuing rout, no quarter is asked, and none given.

218BC:

Initially the war in Spain was rather cold, but now the Qarthadastim have mobilised troops to fight (helped in large part by me using move_character to teleport armies from Africa to Spain). Emporion is threatened, and the nearest Roman army is the proconsul Appius Cornelius Scipio, his transports only just past Massalia.

They don't arrive in time to prevent the Qarthadastim besieging Emporion, but as soon as their boots kiss terra firma they march to the town's relief.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

so If i were to start an historical campaing... do you recommend using medium difficulty? cause it seems that you're having a bad time micro managing all factions...

there is a way to change difficulty on midgame...(and also unit size) I've used it successfully already

it's a program...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=448

but ... I havent tried it on EB...
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Quote Originally Posted by ||Lz3||
    so If i were to start an historical campaing... do you recommend using medium difficulty? cause it seems that you're having a bad time micro managing all factions...

there is a way to change difficulty on midgame...(and also unit size) I've used it successfully already

it's a program...
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=448

but ... I havent tried it on EB...
    I'd recommend Medium campaign difficulty, the AI is less aggressive - towards other AI factions as much as to you. Also means auto-calcing isn't screwy.

Not sure I want to mess around with my save like that.

The War in Spain 208BC-205BC

General Mamercus was wintering his men in enemy territory in preparation for the next season's campaigning when the garrison of Mastia ranged out to demonstrate their strength. They were led by one Carpophorus and offered battle in spite of being at a disadvantage in numbers.

Mamercus deployed in the forest, keeping the line as tight as he could, knowing communication could be difficult.

Carpophorus sent his heavy cavalry into the Roman right.

While he brought up the rest of his forces.

His army was composed mostly of fierce Iberian tribesmen, who drew up within missile range of the Roman centre.

Things got confusing, at some point the Qarthadastim on the Roman right broke.

Those arrayed against the left and centre continued the struggle.

In the centre, Carpophorus entered the fight in person.

The centre began to dissolve, unable to endure contact.

And in the fighting Carpophorus was killed.

Resistance didn't last long after that.

Mamercus took Mastia, left undefended by it's fleeing garrison.

At around the same time, the Romans received envoys from the communities on the Balearic islands, who wished to be free of Qarthadastim rule. Promising to support their bid for indepedence and providing them with funds to recruit on the mainland and a Roman advisor, they made their move.

They drew up in one long line, spearmen on the flanks, skirmishers out front.

The Qarthadastim wasted no time advancing to get to grips with the rebels.

Disdainful of them, Ashtartyaton Aleria charged at the head of his bodyguard.

But the superior numbers counted, even as the battle devolved into several smaller fights.

And the rebels had their victory, throwing off the Qarthadastim yoke.

In 205BC Mamercus had been rejoined by Decimus Claudius Pulcher, now recovered from his illness. They knew there wasn't much left in this war in Spain, Gader was the centre of the remaining Qarthadastim presence, and it's capture would signal Roman victory. Ashtartyaton Cercina sallied out of the fortified town, making good what strength the defenders had before starvation weakened them.

A smaller force approached from the rear, but Mamercus was concerned only with Cercina.

Cercina challenged Pulcher to personal combat, Pulcher accepted.

Pulcher was the victor of the combat, the loss of their general prompted flight and surrender.

And the final battle in Spain was done.

His men declared him imperator in the field, which meant Mamercus would celebrate a triumph for his actions. Provided of course that his enemies in the Senate didn't try to deny him the honour he had won.

205BC:

Spain is done, next comes the war in Africa. I'm taking Pulcher back to Italy, and from there on to Sicily where he will take the army there to Africa, which will then result in me transporting Nepheris and his army back there to defend the motherland.

Elsewhere in the world, Pahlava are on the move again (now allied to Baktria!), Hayasdan took Uspe and had to be evicted once more. I teleported one of their full stacks to Crete, where it's just sitting inactive sapping funds. They don't seem capable of taking the hint to move south, rather than north into the steppe. Saba are advancing from Axum into Egypt, and might kick the Seleukids out of Arabia too. Seem to be holding on to their north African provinces now, possibly because Qarthadast are struggling for funds now they've lost the Spanish mines.

The Getai keep pestering me for an alliance, they're starting to look scary. I have peace with Makedonia now (had to FD it...), I'm soon going to start a war with Gaul and Makedonia again, once the business with Qarthadast is done.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

how did you translated your "hannibal" to italy?

cause I want to translate a Qarthadastim FM but looks like his name doesnt exists when I enter the command...

oh and how do you know in which coordinates you are ?
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter