Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stele #5

Default Stele #5

Hello,
    I'm a new concept artist for Europa Barbarorum II and it's my pleasure today to tell you something about how these concept artworks are made.
    The first task I got was to paint the Gestikapoinann, Lusitanian spearmen. I liked the patterns they have on their shields and also the equipment was rather simple so it was a good starting piece. I was supplied with good information by the wonderful historians of EB. If I needed anything more, I just had to ask ;)
    The process of painting/drawing concept art varies with different projects. I could sketch the characters and paint right away, I could sketch and paint quickly to get the atmosphere right...
    Since EB II is so much based on historical accuracy, I decided to paint it as real looking as I could. That meant getting a friend of mine pose for a reference photo so I can get the pose and anatomy just right. He posed for both characters and it was rather complicated, but it all worked out in the end. Then I would sketch in the bone structure to see how the clothing and armor would fold and deform.
    After that comes the actual hard work. Painting everything in shades of grey. I chose this approach because it allows me more control of values and shape definition. I kept adding detail until I was satisfied with the result. I also posted a WIP version on the forums for approval. It looked like this. You can see that only the soldier on the left is detailed, the right one is still unfinished.

People noticed some glitches in anatomy and also perspective of the round shields. I fixed those. (or at least tried to ;) the best I could)
    Then came the next stage which was adding color. I tried several color schemes until I was happy with the result. Then I painted in the background. I didn't think about it much and it was still missing something. The colors were right, the lighting was ok, but it just lacked something. Through some tricks with paper textures I achieved a more „traditional“ painting look and suddenly the background looked more interesting. Also it got the picture closer to what I was trying to achieve the whole time. I really admire the historical work Angus McBride has done for Osprey books. I tried to come a bit closer to his style than my usual own.

This is the finished painting of Gestikapoinann. I hope you've enjoyed this Stele. If you have any questions about the process or painting in general, feel free to ask. I might even answer ;)
    Also, I would like to ask anyone willing to help EB II and concept art in particular to go to this thread :(not only will you help EB, but you'll also get your name in the mod's credits :)

link to the relevant help thread:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=101990

Last edited by Merlkir; 04-11-2008 at 16:20.
    "Nobody kill any virgins!"

Default Re: Stele #5

That is just beautiful

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Nice. One of these days, when EB1 is done, they need to put together a scrapbook with all the concept art and stuff.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

Those are great! (I assume you're the same Merlkir that paints LOTR art as well?)
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Beautiful work, Merlkir. Thanks for sharing this Stele with us. :)
    “If you come only to help me, you can go back home. But if you consider my struggle as part of your struggle for survival, then maybe we can work together.” - An Aboriginal woman

Quote Originally Posted by strategos alexandros
    Those are great! (I assume you're the same Merlkir that paints LOTR art as well?)
    I guess I am :)

Beautiful work

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

really nice one merlkir,and btw,are you romanian?

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Beautiful.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Gebeleisis
    really nice one merlkir,and btw,are you romanian?
    nope, I'm czech :) why would you think I was romanian?

Probably your sig banner.

oh. I see. I don't have a favourite faction really, I just picked one with a pretty picture :)

That is propably more worthy the history books than any illustration made. Brilliant!
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Beauwiful.
    I has two balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlkir
    nope, I'm czech :) why would you think I was romanian?
    Probably because the Lusitani guy looks just like a Dacian warrior in various pieces of computer artwork.

Great concept art!
    Looking forward to seeing more of this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator
    Great concept art!
    Looking forward to seeing more of this soon.

that depends also on the fans :) if I get any reference photos at all.

Excellent work. I think people take for granted the process of creating a game like this. The size of the team and the amount of coordination must be phenomenal. Keep up the good work and we all love your contributions!

WOW !! Amazing work Merlkir !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlkir
    I would like to ask anyone willing to help EB II and concept art in particular to go to this thread :(not only will you help EB, but you'll also get your name in the mod's credits :)
    From what I've been told, getting your name in the credits depends on more than just helping.

God, of course not! This was approved by other EB guys as well, it's official! Who sends a photo that I can use - that person will get into the credits.
    People, NOBODY has helped so far! I'm kind of disappointed, I thought EB fan community was better than this...

edit: I see. Thanks to those who PMd me. This was quite cheap, Anthony II or whatever your name is.
    Last edited by Merlkir; 04-16-2008 at 22:04.

Who needs friends to take pictures with when you have EB, amirite? ;) You expect us to come up with friends so quick after we have spent all this time loosing them with our EB addictions? :P I guess I can search for some homeless folk who can stand still for 5 minutes. >_>
    “If you come only to help me, you can go back home. But if you consider my struggle as part of your struggle for survival, then maybe we can work together.” - An Aboriginal woman

or shoot, take 3 pictures of yourself in different positions in the same background shot, then combine them manually in a paint program.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Counter-Revolutionary Member BerkeleyBoi's Avatar

Wow, these look beautiful!

Is there any way to use these drawings and paintings in replacement of the ones currently used in the in-game pop ups and game menus?
    Last edited by BerkeleyBoi; 04-21-2008 at 08:08.

EB Historian/Artist Member Intrepid Adventurer's Avatar

Absolutely stunning, I am so incredibly jealous at your skills! I look forward to seeing more of your work for EB!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony III
    From what I've been told, getting your name in the credits depends on more than just helping.
    Yes, of course. It depends on not asking to have it removed. If prior condition is true, answering 'yes' when asked if you want it back would help.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Really nice work dude.

That is really beautiful. You certainly don't squander on the detail.
    May I ask what medium you are using? (it looks like acrylics)

Not Just A Name; A Way Of Life Member Sarcasm's Avatar

Digital.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

-- Oscar Wilde

Digital? I thought he said he painted it himself?

I is da bestest at grammar Member Strategos Alexandros's Avatar

He could have used a graphics pad.
    - my first balloon, from Mouzafphaerre
    - LS balloon

Modo Egredior
    https://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bi...ookup=Plb.+toc <- read this!
    "Do you know what's worth fighting for?
    When it's not worth dying for?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast