Poll: Should Rule 4.4 be kept?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Thread: Historical Army Composition Rule

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Default Historical Army Composition Rule

As per the discussion in the Rules Draft thread, should we keep this rule? Here is how it reads at the moment:

4.4 – Historical Army Composition: Only historical armies can fight battles (ahistorical stacks can be used for transport). No more than half the units in an army can be mercenaries. Crusader mercenaries (crusader sergeants, crusader knights, pilgrims, fanatics, great crosses, etc.) do not count as mercenaries. Crusades are exempt from restrictions on the number of generals. The maxima for each unit type by the number of units in the stack is:

Unit Type definitions (units can qualify for multiple Types):
    Knights: All units with “Knight” in their name plus all heavy cavalry.
    Cavalry: All mounted units.
    Missile Inf: All dismounted ranged attackers, except artillery units and javelin units.
    Heavy Inf: All heavy infantry units.
    Other Inf: All unmounted units which do not qualify as Missile Inf or Heavy Inf.
    Artillery: All units produced from the siegeworks and gunsmith line of buildings.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Historical Army Composition Rule

Much as I dislike this rule, I dislike the idea of us having multiple all-cavalry stacks even more. I'd keep it as is, or to compromise simplify the rule so that there's only one cap per category regardless of size.

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Although I'm sure I'll dislike the rule whenever it's affecting me in the game, I think generally it's better to have it (or something similiar) than not. I'd consider simplifying it as Cecil suggested, and perhaps counting non knight heavy cavalry (like Gendarmes and such) in the cavalry category, so there's incentive to use them.

Much as I'd like to tailor make my army, I think battles against the AI and PVP battles would be much less interesting if we can build uber stacks. Imagine if the Battle of Trent had consisted of a dozen plus all knight armies.

On the other hand, if the AI is to be provided with triple gold stacks every 5 turns or so, we need all the help we can get, including all knight armies.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

I would hate to have ridiculous all-knight armies, that's just silly. All light-cav armies aren't out of the question, if they weren't too huge. 1,000 light cavalry is not a tactic used by western powers, but a raiding force of 500 would be cool. Too many knights isn't historically accurate, though.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

I agree with gibson. There must be at least a limitation on the number of Knights in armies. Knights were the cream of all medieval armies and shouldn't drop off trees.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

As proposed in the Postmortem, we need to have some knight limit and make categories no longer overlapping.

Say cavalry != knight, unless it has the word "knight" in its name, in which case it is counted as knight rather than cavalry. Same applies to infantry.
    Then have a max 50% cavalry and 30% knight rule or so. (which means you can have 50% non-knight cavalry AND 30% knights + 20% missile/infantry/artillery if you really wanted)
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 04-12-2008 at 02:18.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

I really don't like the rule...as Chancellor I really didn't do too much checking about composition.

I essentially did a sweeping "sanity" check for armies overloaded in anyway. That included Knights, Pavise Xbow, etc etc. Of course the in-balance I was looking for was mainly an overload of knights.

It might be easier to simply have a; quarter, half, 3/4 and full stack limit on the total number of 'knight' regiments. This is both mounted or dismounted.
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 04-12-2008 at 17:49.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    As proposed in the Postmortem, we need to have some knight limit and make categories no longer overlapping.

Say cavalry != knight, unless it has the word "knight" in its name, in which case it is counted as knight rather than cavalry. Same applies to infantry.
    Then have a max 50% cavalry and 30% knight rule or so. (which means you can have 50% non-knight cavalry AND 30% knights + 20% missile/infantry/artillery if you really wanted)
    I like this. It avoids the main problem (exploitation of cavalry) and it's relatively simple. I'm not keen on the 50% non-knights and 30% knights cavalry bit, though. That's just designing the rule to be intentionally exploited. The problem is cavalry, so let's just limit that to 50%, whether knights or not. Knights also limited to 30% would result in armies like this:
    30% knight cavalry
    20% non-knight cavalry
    50% foot

Or

50% non-knight cavalry
    30% knight foot
    20% misc foot

Both seem fine to me.

Peter von Kastilien - RIP Member gibsonsg91921's Avatar

Meaning you can only have a halfstack of cavalry? I dig.
    The late Emperor Peter von Kastilien the Tyrant, Lamm der Wahrheit.

Join Capo de Tutti Capi II! It's totally amazing!

Hmmm if we continue to double count knights within cavalry/infantry, we may need to raise the limit a bit, to say 40%.
    Alternatively, we can differentiate, saying 30% of your cavalry can be knights and 30% of your infantry can be knights.
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not in favor of a percentage cap. Why don't we limit it by raw numbers; i.e. no more than 5 companies of knights in any army. No more than, say, 8 total companies of cavalry, 10 of archers, etc, etc.

At the very most I'd suggest two sets of flat cap rules, one for half or less, one for more than a half. So perhaps no more than 3 knights in a half stack or less, no more than 6 in a full stack. Thus you might have a general plus 3 knights as the most extreme example of an ahistorical army. I'd much rather have to deal with that than figure 4 different percentages for all those different stack sizes every turn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramses II CP
    As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm not in favor of a percentage cap. Why don't we limit it by raw numbers; i.e. no more than 5 companies of knights in any army. No more than, say, 8 total companies of cavalry, 10 of archers, etc, etc.

At the very most I'd suggest two sets of flat cap rules, one for half or less, one for more than a half. So perhaps no more than 3 knights in a half stack or less, no more than 6 in a full stack. Thus you might have a general plus 3 knights as the most extreme example of an ahistorical army. I'd much rather have to deal with that than figure 4 different percentages for all those different stack sizes every turn.
    That would probably be easier to keep track of. One restriction for 10 units or less and one restriction for 11 units or more. Both of which only restrict the use of heavy cavalry. Simple, easy to keep track of, and it would prevent the imbalance we're looking for.

At this point I'm not so much looking to mimic historical armies as I am trying to prevent easy exploitation of mass cavalry armies.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    That would probably be easier to keep track of. One restriction for 10 units or less and one restriction for 11 units or more. Both of which only restrict the use of heavy cavalry. Simple, easy to keep track of, and it would prevent the imbalance we're looking for.

At this point I'm not so much looking to mimic historical armies as I am trying to prevent easy exploitation of mass cavalry armies.
    That's perfect.

If that's the system we decide on I will definitely alter my vote from 'discard the rule' to 'change the rule.' I absolutely think we should avoid explotative armies, I'd just like to keep the burden the the Chancellor as small as possible so that the rule is both followed and fair.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Yeah, I will change my vote from "discard rule" to "change rule".

This seems to be simple for the Chancellor to implement while keeping us from exploiting the awesome power of heavy cavalry.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Ok, so the question then becomes how many heavy cav at the two levels? Maybe 3 max for half stack and 5 max full full stack, where generals do not count as heavy cav?

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

Ok, so the question then becomes how many heavy cav at the two levels? Maybe 3 max for half stack and 5 max full full stack, where generals do not count as heavy cav?
    Seems reasonable... Such terms also change my vote from "discard" to "change"...

Will exceptions be allowed when facing cavalry heavy AI armies (such as the full cav gold-chevrons French stacks post-Cataclysm or Mongols) ?
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan de Castelreng
    Will exceptions be allowed when facing cavalry heavy AI armies (such as the full cav gold-chevrons French stacks post-Cataclysm or Mongols) ?
    If we want to change it mid-game, we just need to pass an Amendment.

Here's the version of the rule I have incorporated in the new draft of the rules:

4.4 – Historical Army Composition: An army of 10 units or less cannot have more than 3 units of heavy cavalry. An army of 11 units or more cannot have more than 5 units of heavy cavalry. For the purposes of this rule, bodyguard units do not count as heavy cavalry. Armies that do not meet these requirements cannot fight battles under any circumstances, though they can be used for transportation.

I would suggest 4 for half stack (10 units) and 6 for full stacks (20 units) excluding generals (assuming most of the time there will only be 1 general).

Still, I would kind of like the 25/50/75/100 divisions personally (as a half stack can well be 2 generals and 3/4 cavalry with the new rule) as they used to be (1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20) with cav only restrictions.

That still leaves the trouble with foot knights if we limit cavalry only.

Are foot knights significantly unbalanced, or is just a matter of observing historical accuracy? The simplest solution is to apply the 3/5 division to foot knights as well, seperate from the application to heavy cavalry. IIRC five companies of dismounted knights was about the most we saw in any of the late period KotR armies.

Also, since the rule applies only to heavy cavalry, I prefer the 3/5 or at most 3/6 division. Give me those three, a good general, and 2-3 more companies of light cavalry on the side and I'd take on just about any stack the AI could reasonably assemble.

I agree that it would be a good idea to have the same rule to apply to knight infantry as well.

In regards to cavalry, 3/6 would be agreeable as well. One thing that I don't quite like about the new wording though is that there is now no limit on how many GBs you can have in a stack. Accordingly, you could have 4 or more in addition to the heavy cavalry limit and a large supply of light and/or missile cavalry.

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my experience I would only want to have one extra GB at the most, otherwise it's too distracting and stessful. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way either.
    Last edited by Cecil XIX; 04-14-2008 at 15:38.

I don't think we should restrict the number of GBs per stack simply because the more GBs there are in a battle, the more likely an avatar is to get killed. If you don't mind having your nobleman being handled by someone who may use them as front-line cavalry, then you're risking death. This is especially true with many of the mods which increase the difficulty of the game with better AI and garrison scripts. KOTR was already surprisingly lethal, and I expect the next game to be even more so.

That said, if the majority want a GB limit I will go along with it. I'm more impartial about the army limits beyond GB. I will accept whatever you guys agree is best for heavy cav, foot knights, etc. I prefer balanced armies anyway, so it won't impact my play style.