Thread: JUST ONE THING FOR GIL

Maybe you'll delete this post...
    But Gil know that we are really pissed off!!!!
    I have only a question for Gil, Ca, ecc ecc ecc :

WHO THE HELL ARE THE TESTERS THAT HAVE MADE THIS GAME GONE GOLD????????? IF I WERE YOU I'LL FIRE OFF THIS PEOPLE...OR MAYBE IT'S JUST YOU THAT WOULD BE FIRED OFF....

Usually i'm very patient...now the time for patience is gone...tonight i couldnt do a game, always disconnected!!!!

NOW WE ALL WANT A RELEASE DATE!!!
    NO TIME FOR EXCUSES!!!! OUR MONEY IS JUST IN YOUR POCKET!!!! GIVE US THIS DAMNED PATCH!!!!!

It's all clear????

Thx.

Im tired of the complaining. Nobody cares about you, they want a patch, big deal. Cmon, Id like to see YOU make a patch with that many fixes on it. Please, calm yourself down. It will be out. Sooner or Later.

------------------
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.
    What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know.

He already knows it and holding gil personaly responsible is a bit cheap. Direct ur flaming directly to CA .

Thx for the reply.

But i see that a month has passed. And still we havent a release date...

I say only a thing...
    They are now enjoyning with our money, right? Why i cant enjoy with their games?
    I cant be calm now.
    Now it's just a joke. In Italy we say "a presa per il culo". ok?

I bet you don't even talk to your pets this way........ Please, think before hitting that send button.......
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Many fixes, many fixes...

The bigger problem is multyplayer experience that sucks.
    Multy fixes had to be released as soon as possible, then after SP and other secondary fixes.

[This message has been edited by Vinsitor (edited 10-14-2002).]

I thought till now!
    And still now i'm thinking...
    Try to do the same hrvojej plz

Cybernetic Samurai Member TenkiSoratoti's Avatar

Calm it please, Gil and the team are working there asses off. I was talking to Gil earlier today on messanger and he told me the problems, if you want this patch to be good then wait because they are testing and testing and with that many fixes it takes time, ok? ..... good!!!

------------------
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an oppurtunity to defeat the enemy."
    "The good fighters of the old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat and then waited for an opportunity to defeat the enemy." - Sun Tzu

Maybe you are right Soratoti, but if there are so many fixes to do they could divide the patch in two!

One for multyplayer and One for single player!

Many of us bought the game for playing it in multyplayer...but it seems not to be tested before...right?
    This is my problem.
    I feel me cheated by them.
    They wanted it to be sold soon...no matters about this problems. Now it's time for them to receive all the critiques we feel to do.
    Anyway sorry for the tone of my post, but all this story is very annoying.
    I was quite till now...but now really i couldnt stay quite anymore.
    Thx
    Cily

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Ciliegio patience is a virtue ... there is an English saying which I'm sure is in Latin and Italian... 'Rome wasn't built in a day'

In other words something that is magnificent takes longer to create and takes more effort.

Now add to that when modifiying computer code you have to test that the modifications do not bring in more and worse bugs (just like pharmaceutical drugs often have side effects ie steriods build muscles mass but cause sterility). Anyhow the golden (thumb) rule of coding is it takes 20% of the time to code a program and 80% of the time to debug it. So always expect patches to take awhile, and with STW only two official patches came out.

These guys aim to have us not load 90 separate patches that may cause more problem but one patch that works. If you want to see the one problem one patch scenario follow Microsoft and its patch releases for security breaches... for security breaches it makes sense to patch ASAP. For games and other apps it makes sense to make sure the patches result in a better product not semi fixed and worse in other arenas.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

I can only agree with ciliego.

I mean if Im buying a DVD and it doesnt work I can alway go back with it to either replace it, get my money back or have them repearing it.

I bout this game. It doesnt work satisfiying (or however u spell it) enuff. Its like broken. But I cant go back with it so the shop can repear it, I cant replace it or get my money back cuz it says: "once the package is broken we dont replace it" (somthing like that, hard to translate, for me).

And in my opinion we have already buyed a game that should work with no probs or atleast only with minor probs. They should have tested this game many times enuff b4 they released it to solve most of the bigger probs. But now when they havnt they should have released the first patch some weeks ago no matter how big it is.

They could have made a little first to solve the worst bugs. like mp, so people could stay logged on as long as they want.

then they could release a patch with other stuff like bugs in games.

------------------
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

Rubbish Pape

its out for almost 2 month

mp is bugged with many problems that could have been sold in a quick first patch....

relativly to the longlivity of this game 2 months is just too long.

true, Gil is not the blame.
    quote:I gallop messages around, dont track me I can bring war as well

Quote Originally posted by Ciliegio:
    I thought till now!
    And still now i'm thinking...
    Try to do the same hrvojej plz
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum7/HTML/002798.html
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally posted by MagyarKhans Cham:
    Rubbish Pape

its out for almost 2 month

mp is bugged with many problems that could have been sold in a quick first patch....

relativly to the longlivity of this game 2 months is just too long.

true, Gil is not the blame.
    [/QUOTE]

STW only had two official patches... If that is how many we can expect for MTW I would rather two comprehensive patches then a couple of mini-me ones.

How easy do you think it is to do debugging and stability improvement. If MP has that many bugs it takes longer and longer to get full stability... essentially as the complexity of a system increases linearly the problems to gaining stability increase exponetially.

ie something that has 2 bugs may take 2 development days to solve and make sure that the solution doesn't cause more bugs ( I have seen patches do more damage from unexpected side effects), while 4 bugs will take not four days to co-resolve but 6 or 8 days. Sometimes Iff you are lucky it works the other way round where solving one problem resolves many.

Anyhow I stand by me comment that patience is a virtue and that it takes a longer to debug then code.

----

Also I am not impressed by the attacks and whining that have been posted in these boards. You guys could show a lot more maturity in your words and actions by posting the problems you encounter and solutions you have found rather then getting all paranoid and acting like spoilt little children. As Mag said it is not Gil's fault. The developers are not trying on purpose to delay the patch for some sort of sadistic pleasure.

So gentlemen stop thinking what the developers can do for us and our community. Start thinking what we can do to help this and future patches, battlefield tactics, strategy, newbie guides etc. Start putting all this frustrated energy into things we can directly influence and build.

The reason the developers post in the .org are many fold;

Relative forum maturity, politness, creative flair and love of the game... which is rapidly dimishing to a bunch of cry babies who don't need a moderator but a kindergarten teacher and a spanking with a wooden spoon.

Accurate description of game mechanics and sharing of information and how various things are buggy and how to resolve technical problems to oldbies and newbies... again this is changing to a bunch of whining, give give give me!

These forums are first and foremost for the Totalwar community by the Totalwar community. We should be aiming to be as helpful to each other and share information as accurately as possible.

All I can say is that I have been away from the forums for the last two months and have not been available except in small doses.

This place has changed from being a bright (happy & intelligent), giving, humourous community to a bunch of self serving, immature (mental), whining bunch of people who must be contenders for the second ship (a la Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Quote Originally posted by Ciliegio:
    WHO THE HELL ARE THE TESTERS THAT HAVE MADE THIS GAME GONE GOLD????????? IF I WERE YOU I'LL FIRE OFF THIS PEOPLE...[/QUOTE]

That's for sure. I honestly don't think it was playtested beyond the CA guys who actually made the game. There's no way this many bugs should have made it past any worthwhile QA.

I blame Activision though, not CA.

Also, the proper fix would include separate unit stats/costs for sp and for mp so that mp can be fixed without upsetting the current balance in sp amongst the units.

But CA doesn't want to do that so we will have to suffer with one (either sp or mp) being not as good as the other.

And Pape - gee I wonder why it is that people have become discontent and whiney in the past month or so... could it be a certain game was released with tons of bugs and issues and we've been working out what they are and waiting for the patch?

[This message has been edited by JRock (edited 10-14-2002).]

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

well okay we'd have enough time on this....

BTW, it's always curious to see a post with the Devs name on it; my cat's name is Gil.

closed.

It is rare to have a forum where the developers actually answer posts and can give you some insider info. We should be grateful for the awesome info they have aleady given us. Instead, it seems that every time they tell us something, all we want is more. I myself have been completely relegated to not playing the game at all because of bugs related to Win XP. I understand that it takes time to fix problems, I work on computers myself and I know how frustrating it can be (and usually is!). So I wait patiently for the patch. Whether it comes this week or in January I will be pleased, because I will be able to play again (anyone have any ideas of what to do when MTW doesn't work? I have no life now!). Oh, and also, this: "But Gil know that we are really pissed off!!!! - Ciliegio" will simply not do. Do not presume to speak for all of us. Granted, there are some people who are quite pissed, but us sane people understand what is going on and we have no interest in being lumped in with you people.

------------------
    "You there, knight!" "Yes, sir?" "We just lost that battle. Why did you order your men to charge that unit of enemy sergeants?" "Uh, I was impetuous, sir" "'IMPETUOUS!? Impetuous!? Men! Kill him, I want his head!"
    You there, knight Yes, sir? We just lost that battle. Why did you order your men to charge that unit of enemy sergeants? Uh, I was impetuous, sir 'IMPETUOUS? Impetuous? Men Kill him, I want his head