Thread: Roman Allied Legions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Roman Allied Legions

Wow. This is fantastic. Once again, Sir, you outshine yourself.
    Finished Campaigns
    Lusotannan 0.8
    Quarthadastim 0.8
    Sab'yn 1.0
    Romani 1.0
    Ongoing Campaigns
    Lusotannan 1.2

Long may the barbarians continue, I pray, if not to love us, at least to hate one another,seeing that, as fate bears remorselessly on the empire, fortune can offer no greater boon now than discord amoung our enemies - Tacitus

Cheers Konny! Do you know if this is uncompatible with any other mods?
    Only a few seek liberty; the majority seek nothing more than fair masters - Sallust

A lie told often enough becomes truth - Vladimir Lenin

Default AW: Re: Roman Allied Legions

Quote Originally Posted by Horst Nordfink
    Cheers Konny! Do you know if this is uncompatible with any other mods?
    The changes are in EDB. When you play a mod that uses an altered EDB for EB 1.1 it is not compatible. In EDU the only change is the voice of the Pezoi Brettioi from a Greek one (I think, "heavy_1") to a Latin one (I think, "general_1"). This is not really needed, I did so to prevent the Roman Allies from shouting around in Greek. You can use this mod by just replacing EDB with any mod with changed EDU, and either leave the Brutti voice as it is or do the simple change yourself by copping the voice line from the entry of the Roman Hastati (for example) into the Brutti entry.

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Re: Roman Allied Legions

That's pretty nifty! My only concern from a gameplay perspective is that with Roma alone as your source of proper Roman troops, it may slow the recruitment of a consular army by quite a lot. I'd be tempted to allow Capua as well as Roma to recruit Roman troops, given the presence of the barracks there.

I have to say classical hoplites for triarii is a neat little move I didn't even think of. Although unlike triarii you can't halve the size of their maniple in the EDU because other factions use them.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; 04-14-2008 at 13:42.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Default AW: Re: AW: Re: Roman Allied Legions

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    That's pretty nifty! My only concern from a gameplay perspective is that with Roma alone as your source of proper Roman troops, it may slow the recruitment of a consular army by quite a lot. I'd be tempted to allow Capua as well as Roma to recruit Roman troops, given the presence of the barracks there.
    I don't think so (haven't tested it in the long run so far). You need two Consular armies with 1/2 Roman troops and 1/2 allied. You start the game with the equivalent to two Roman Legions and have to raise the same number in Rome to get your Romans for both Consular armies and then raise the four Legions allies.

If you like to expand the recruitement for Romans, I would suggest Segesta because I think the "Romans" there are settlers not native Italians.

I have to say classical hoplites for triarii is a neat little move I didn't even think of. Although unlike triarii you can't halve the size of their maniple in the EDU because other factions use them.
    Don't do it, Camillan Triarii come in the same number as Hastati or Principes.

Example for a Consular army:

1x Levels
    1x Accensi
    2x Hastati
    2x Principes
    2x Triarii
    1x Equites Romani / or Consulares

+

1x Akontistai
    1x Toxotai
    2x Brutti
    2x Samniti
    2x Hoplitai
    1x Equites Campanici / or Extraordanrii

+

1x Pedites Extraordinarii
    1x General

Disclaimer: my posts are to be considered my private opinion and not offical statements by the EB Team

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Roman Allied Legions

Quote Originally Posted by konny
    Thank you.

I don't think so (haven't tested it in the long run so far). You need two Consular armies with 1/2 Roman troops and 1/2 allied. You start the game with the equivalent to two Roman Legions and have to raise the same number in Rome to get your Romans for both Consular armies and then raise the four Legions allies.

If you like to expand the recruitement for Romans, I would suggest Segesta because I think the "Romans" there are settlers not native Italians.
    I'm just thinking in terms of rebuilding an army, you've got some 9 units to recruit from Roma alone, whereas the remainder have a range of places they can come from.

Don't do it, Camillan Triarii come in the same number as Hastati or Principes.
    Really? I wasn't aware they were any different from Polybian triarii, in terms of having maniples half the size of those of the hastati and principes.

Example for a Consular army:

1x Levels
    1x Accensi
    2x Hastati
    2x Principes
    2x Triarii
    1x Equites Romani / or Consulares

+

1x Akontistai
    1x Toxotai
    2x Brutti
    2x Samniti
    2x Hoplitai
    1x Equites Campanici / or Extraordanrii

+

1x Pedites Extraordinarii
    1x General
    Thing that worries me is that's an even bigger stack, particularly with the pedites extraordinarii not counting towards the allied total. I've had really bad experiences with the AI when it comes to moving a big stack around - they won't fight me. Even when I allow them time to gather their little armies into one big one.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Thanks Konny, a very useful mini mod for all Romanii fans. Downloaded.

Cheers.

Default Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: Roman Allied Legions

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    I'm just thinking in terms of rebuilding an army, you've got some 9 units to recruit from Roma alone, whereas the remainder have a range of places they can come from.
    6 (2x Hastati, 2x Principes, 2xTriarii). The recruitement of the other units was not touched. If you don't get completly butchered every single battle you should have no problems to keep your Romans in numbers with merging and retraining.

Really? I wasn't aware they were any different from Polybian triarii, in terms of having maniples half the size of those of the hastati and principes.
    They were organized in 5 ordi of three (full) maniples (about 180 men each).

Thing that worries me is that's an even bigger stack, particularly with the pedites extraordinarii not counting towards the allied total. I've had really bad experiences with the AI when it comes to moving a big stack around - they won't fight me. Even when I allow them time to gather their little armies into one big one.
    That's the standard force given to Consul on campaign. During operations the actual size of the army will be smaller of course: splitting of forces to hunt down smaller enemy armies, garrisons that have to be left behind, casulties that were not replaced etcpp.

This is exactly what I wanted! Thanks very much konny - you're a hero! Award yourself a triumph!
    Last edited by Titus Marcellus Scato; 04-14-2008 at 14:11.