Thread: EB 1.1 install problem

Default EB 1.1 install problem

Im having problems with install. It appears that the instlal program suggest that i do not install 1.1 in the program files folder. I chose to anyway and installed over my seperate EB folder. (I have a RTW folder and then folders with copied RTw Data and mod data for each mod i.e. one for RS one for EB and so on). When i realized this was a mistake i assumed that
    EB 1.1 was standalone and did not require 1.0 (wouldve been helpful if more install info was posted on the 1.1 release thread). I then proceeded to instal into its own folder C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\RTW-EB and set the shortcut target accordingly. However i am told that MSS32.DLL is missing when i attempt to launch 1.1 with the play eb shortcut that came with 1.1. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by tfarr007; 04-14-2008 at 20:41.
    "A man's worth is no greater than his ambitions."
    -Marcus Aurelius
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    -Michelangelo
    If you pursue good with labor, the labor passes away but the good remains; if you pursue evil with pleasure, the pleasure passes away and the evil remains.
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

Default Re: EB 1.1 install problem

You have to install EB in Rome - TW folder.
    EB is not stand alone game it is a mod. It must be placed in Rome TW game directory.

Installer should complain if you try to install EB in wrong directory (one that doesnt have Rome TW.exe ).

I cant tell exactly what you did but MSS32.DLL is part of Rome TW install, something is really wrong with your RTW install.

I would suggest:
    1. Install clean RTW copy in not "Program Files" directory.
    2. Patch it to 1.3 version and then to 1.5 version
    3. Install EB 1.1 in the same directory as RTW in point 1.
    4. Install EB Trivial Script ( on by default, just leave it be )
    5. Click "Play Single Player" shortcut in MenuStart -> Europa Barbarorum and enjoy EB.

i understand that EB needs to be installed in RTW 1.5 directory (i apologize if i was not clear in first post). I have made several copies of the RTW 1.5 folder and install my mods into those so as not to have different mods conflict with each other and such. But you suggest intalling RTW into not program files (EB 1.0 worked just fine from program files, dont know why 1.1 doesnt?) and installing EB 1.1 into that directory. i wil give it a try and see how it goes.
    -Marcus Aurelius
    "The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
    -Michelangelo
    If you pursue good with labor, the labor passes away but the good remains; if you pursue evil with pleasure, the pleasure passes away and the evil remains.
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

I created a seperate RTW directory in C:/Rome Total War (not in program files) and put a clean copy of RTW 1.5 in that directory. After this i installed eb 1.1 into that directory but the launch icon for eb 1.1 now launches Vanilla RTW i checked the target for the icon and it is "C:/Rome Total War/RomeTW.exe" any assistance you could give?
    im sure it is something trivial i am overlooking

could it be that my EB data folder is a seperate folder from RTW vanilla data?
    Last edited by tfarr007; 04-14-2008 at 22:07.
    -Marcus Aurelius
    -Michelangelo
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

The Aspiring God Of War Member Lysander13's Avatar
    Leading the assault against the Gods at Mount Olympos itself.

Thought I should perhaps mention...The recommendation to not install in the Program Files Directory is mainly for I would imagine, Vista users who may encounter problems installing in this directory without first changing a few of Vista's rather irritating settings. If you use XP you don't have to worry about it. Presuming of course you have administrator privileges on your system. If you had no issues installing 1.0 then you shouldn't have any installing 1.1. If you installed on a copy of your RTW install, get rid of this installation as well as the EB folder that you have installed here. Clean your registry. You could use various free aps, google CCleaner or Advanced Windows care that have registry functions. Or even better, use both. As they will both pick up loose registry strings that the other may have otherwise missed. Of course you could do it yourself, but that's trickier and more dangerous if your not sure what your doing. Once you have gotten rid of this bad install and associated files and cleaned the registry.** Also it wouldn't hurt you to defrag before installing at this point. Not essential but it's just good for the performance of your drive.** Now once again make a copy of a clean RTW 1.5 install and install EB and do yourself a favor and install the extras ie...trivial script. Unless of course you prefer to make your own shortcuts for whatever reason. This should hopefully correct your problem.

You most likely didnt install EB Trivial Script.
    There is a bug in installer (sorry about that ) that creeps out when you dont install Trivial Script.

Edit shortcut Target path to look like this:
    Code:
    "C:/Rome Total War/RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb
    Last edited by LorDBulA; 04-14-2008 at 23:06.

ok so i installed trivial and now the icon target is "C:\Rome Total War\EBTrivialScript\EBTrivialScript.exe" -s ebconfig.xml -runeb -type "Single Player" this didnt work nor did it work when i changed to "C:\Rome Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb like you siad Lord. I assume its because my RTW doesnt have a mods folder like it should have. I have a Data (RTW Vanilla) folder then an EB (Data and stuff) and an EB Trivial. These are the folders which i think may be the problem. i would give more info but im not sure what would be helpful to solving the problem since i dont know what it is. I would assume however that is has something to do with the icon target.
    -Marcus Aurelius
    -Michelangelo
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

you could just put you cursor over "play single player" and drag it to the desktop, thats what i did. Cheers!

the link "play single player" doesnt work is what i was saying
    btw i am running vista
    Last edited by tfarr007; 04-15-2008 at 02:28.
    -Marcus Aurelius
    -Michelangelo
    -Marcus Tullius Cicero

So strange.

Could you describe in detail what happens when you click the link "play single player". If this doesnt work there should be error log displayed.

Edited:

this didnt work nor did it work when i changed to "C:\Rome Total War\RomeTW.exe" -mod:eb like you siad Lord.
    What happened when you tried this?

You should try Bovi validation tool. Refer to https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=93236
    Last edited by LorDBulA; 04-15-2008 at 06:37.