Thread: Chariots, automatic defeat?

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Default Chariots, automatic defeat?

This is for EB 1.0 by the way.

So I'm playing my Pontos campaign. About ten seasons ago I finally got the option to recruit those Scythe chariots from my starting city. My economy got better in the past few turns so I recruited one as I've never actually used one in my RTW history.

So there was a small Eleutheroi stack of one unit of Galatian Shortswordsmen outside of Ankyra and there was also a rather large stack of Ptolemaioi near Ankyra as well. I wanted to have some fun so I saved beforehand to try out the scythe chariots. I engaged battle with the Ptolemaioi stack.

Battle began and I moved my chariots towards the enemy. Just for you information, I only had a unit of scythe chariots against the stack. After about three seconds or so, the battle just ended. I wasn't anywhere close to the enemy before the battle end message popped up with a Close Defeat. No casualties on either side and my Chariots moved backwards on the campaign map to a safer spot.

Thinking it was just a fluke, I tried it again, but the same thing happened. Close defeat. So on the off chance it was because the large army somehow routed my chariots, which was impossible because I saw that I still had eager morale before the battle ended, I tried against the Eleutheroi stack. Battle ended after a few seconds again.

Is this a bug with chariots or something? I have all the permanent fixes for 1.0 installed by the way.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Default Re: Chariots, automatic defeat?

Probably has something to do with that running amok thing.

Its best to edit stuff like that out in the EDU
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Sounds odd, I've never tried to use only chariots. Possibly they're bugged, would have to try a battle with them in 1.1.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

I tried to recruit one unit of scythed chariots and found a ptoly army of 1 general and 1 akontistai to attack. While I eventually lost the battle due to berserking chariots, my chariots were in action for many minutes without the battle ending, so I think this is a problem for 1.0 only.

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

That might be. Oh well. I just won't be using only chariots in a stack then. Missiles absolutely destroy them anyhow..
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Wasn't there a bug reported in 1.0 whereby scythed chariots had 0 hit points? This might have something to do with it.
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Quite possibly, yes. Anyway, problem solved . BTW, in my battle I noticed that they're great at killing cavalry, so I'm going to make them my general killers. Not so good at cutting down akontistai though, which is as it should be.

================
    ================