Thread: Ok how about the trait MAY CHARGE WITHOUT ORDERS!!!!!

Default Ok how about the trait MAY CHARGE WITHOUT ORDERS!!!!!

Really now does this ever happen to you???
    Never to me so i wonder is it bugged?
    My deepest fear is not that I am inadequate...my deepest fear is that I am powerful beyond measure.

Default Re: Ok how about the trait MAY CHARGE WITHOUT ORDERS!!!!!

In over a year of playing the game I have never once seen this happen.

However I have a feeling it may affect the likelihood of units choosing their own targets once you order them to charge, i.e. you order your knights to charge the enemy crossbows; instead they decide to charge the slightly-nearer unit of armoured sergeants . This happens to me a lot.
    Last edited by PBI; 04-14-2008 at 13:25.

I can't remember seeing this in M2TW, but it frequently happened in RTW, since barbarians had a multitude of combat-eager units.

the only thing i seem to remember tied to this trait....is that in vanilla mailed knights with this trait assalted my lines before the archers even deployed...but for me no unit ever changed target or charged by them selves.
    My deepest fear is not that I am inadequate...my deepest fear is that I am powerful beyond measure.

Nolan Bushnell Cultist Member ataribaby's Avatar

I've always wondered about the Charges Without Orders trait. I've a vague memory of it happening in the periphery of my vision but I can't be sure.

There's always some intriguing bit of blag in unit descriptions like: 'lacks the wild abandon of their contempories on the continent' (i.e. doesn't have the trait). And it's sometimes the only differing factor between two similar units, e.g. Knights Hospitaller and Templars. I can never work out whether the game considers it an advantage or not.

I've also had a feeling that it's got something to do with 'Professional Armies' compared with feudal armies - the professionals don't seem to have the trait.

Like the rest of you though, I've not really been affected by it for certain.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

May change without orders is given by impetuous morale, which is one level higher than Eager during battle.

In MTW and RTW, units with impetuous morale would charge into an approaching foe regardless of whether you ordered them to or not. In M2TW, that definition is still there but it doesn't actually happen. Still, those units enjoy a bit of a higher morale which is a bonus.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I have yet to seen this occur in the game, but I remember it happened seldomly in MTW followed by many of my own dead cavarly units.

Interesting. I wonder is this realistic? I can imagine berserking warriors going mental and losing control but would regimented and disciplined knights ever charge off without orders in our world (in the past)?

Genuine question by the way. Im not too much of a history buff.
    Harbour you unclean thoughts

Add me to X-Fire: quickening666

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening
    Would regimented and disciplined knights ever charge off without orders in our world (in the past)?

Genuine question by the way. Im not too much of a history buff.
    I'm not either, but I recently watched a documentary about the longbow that included a description of the Battle of Crecy.

There were alot of noble mounted knights on the French side, many of which were so eager to stick it to the English that, in their rush to get to the battlefield, they pushed their Genoese crossbowmen into engaging too early. And the whole charge down that sodden corridor of field was pretty impetous in its entirety.

According to the documentary the poor buggers were slaughtered by the withering longbow fire and the English men-at-arms and spears mopping up. Bloody horrible.

It's a good documentary actually. Well worth watching, especially for longbow fans. The Crecy account comes about two thirds in:

Weapons That Made Britain: The Longbow 50 min. approx. in 12 parts

Quote Originally Posted by ataribaby
    I'm not either, but I recently watched a documentary about the longbow that included a description of the Battle of Crecy.

There were alot of noble mounted knights on the French side, many of which were so eager to stick it to the English that, in their rush to get to the battlefield, they pushed their Genoese crossbowmen into engaging too early. And the whole charge down that sodden corridor of field was pretty impetous in its entirety.

According to the documentary the poor buggers were slaughtered by the withering longbow fire and the English men-at-arms and spears mopping up. Bloody horrible.

It's a good documentary actually. Well worth watching, especially for longbow fans. The Crecy account comes about two thirds in:

Weapons That Made Britain: The Longbow 50 min. approx. in 12 parts
    Excellent doco! Thanks.

And then go here to see the re-enactment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aNf...eature=related
    Last edited by Gorm; 04-15-2008 at 04:27.
    Playing M2:TW and R:TW on an Intel Mac!

Places I have lived:

Places I have visited:

"The ingenuity of the device blinds us to its utter uselessness."
    (anonymous British civil servant, circa 1940)

(www.3dflags.com)

Merciless Mauler Member TheLastPrivate's Avatar

Does the "impetuous" trait actually give higher morale? I think on the unit sheet the number is the same...

Gae Ma Ki Byung:
    Possibly the earliest full-armored heavy cavalry in human history, deployed by the Goguryeo from the 3rd century A.D.

Quote Originally Posted by ataribaby
    I've always wondered about the Charges Without Orders trait. I've a vague memory of it happening in the periphery of my vision but I can't be sure.

There's always some intriguing bit of blag in unit descriptions like: 'lacks the wild abandon of their contempories on the continent' (i.e. doesn't have the trait). And it's sometimes the only differing factor between two similar units, e.g. Knights Hospitaller and Templars. I can never work out whether the game considers it an advantage or not.

I've also had a feeling that it's got something to do with 'Professional Armies' compared with feudal armies - the professionals don't seem to have the trait.

Like the rest of you though, I've not really been affected by it for certain.
    Specifically about Templars / Hospitalliers - during Richard's treck from Acre to Arsuf (one of the historical battles featured in vanilla). Saladin's skirmishers kept harrassing the moving columns, but the crusaders held rank. Eventually Saladin's repeated charges managed to isolate the Hospitallier crossbowmen marching at the rear of the column. Richard ordered the Hospitallier knights to keep marching towards Arsuf, but seeing his brethren in trouble, the Master of the order, Garnier de Nablus charged without orders, causing a chain effect of all knights charging. Richard wisely chose to support the Hospitallier charge with all his forces fearing they would be doomed on their own.
    Last edited by Yaropolk; 04-18-2008 at 18:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk
    Specifically about Templars / Hospitalliers - during Richard's treck from Acre to Arsuf (one of the historical battles featured in vanilla).
    There was a good docu-drama that included exactly this skirmish on telly in the UK a few weeks ago. It was called Heroes and Villains: Richard the Lionheart. Recommended viewing if you catch it next time around.

There's a good Medieval Season on at the moment too on BBC4, including Terry 'E's a very naughty boy!' Jones' series on the Crusades.