Thread: The Theban approach

Witchety Grub Member KhaziOfKalabara's Avatar

Default The Theban approach

In vanilla I was constantly amazed by the number of FMs who were willing, shall we say, to be a paidika, aites or kleinos; whereas in EB it is rare to see a Harmodius and Aristogeiton, an Agesilaus and Lysander, even a Zeus and Ganymede.

Is this a deliberate coyness on behalf of the EB team or have you merely adopted a "don't ask, don't tell" attitude to this aspect of ancient lives? Or is the attitude in upland Makedon different on this front to that in cosmopolitan Thebes, Chalkis and Athens?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Philippus Flavius Homovallumus's Avatar

Default Re: The Theban approach

The team certainly isn't coy about this, I can tell you that. Some ideas were not implemented because, frankly, we would have had to put an 18 certificate on the install. In terms of Greek attitudes, things were already changing and in any case homosexuality was never a positive thing in Greece. The submissive role performed by a man in such a relationship was problematic and humilliating.

All our FM's are very much adults and the instance of homosexuality would not have been all that high, at least not admittedly so.
    "If it wears trousers generally I don't pay attention."

[IMG]https://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4917/logoromans23pd.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    In terms of Greek attitudes, things were already changing and in any case homosexuality was never a positive thing in Greece.
    I'm sure the never was debated to death internally, given the archaelogical record, and that's certainly not a hornet's nest I want to stir up - but examples certainly seem to be thinner on the ground into the Hellenistic period.

Quote Originally Posted by Philipvs Vallindervs Calicvla
    The team certainly isn't coy about this, I can tell you that. Some ideas were not implemented because, frankly, we would have had to put an 18 certificate on the install.
    From the team that brought us the gaesatae, I dread to think what was proposed.

So should I assume that "Minion"-type traits are present, but I've just not seen any yet?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. H. L. Mencken

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Yet again, I see ANOTHER thread about homosexuality in ancient Greece... God, when is this going to end? I am SO tired of debating about this...
    ~Maion

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent_Valentine
    Yet again, I see ANOTHER thread about homosexuality in ancient Greece... God, when is this going to end? I am SO tired of debating about this...
    Then feel free not to contribute.

Nobody (on this thread at least) is saying it's just the Greeks, it just happens to be well documented. If it's in - we should expect to see homosexuality for all factions, "civilised" or barbarian. If it's not - then there's an opportunity for RP missed but it's not a big deal as we have other toys to play with.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

Pretty sure I've encountered a few generals with something akin to the "Minion" trait...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster