Thread: Druhtinoz: Ainan Mannz Swebiskōz Tō [1.1]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EB:NOM Triumvir Member gamegeek2's Avatar

Default Druhtinoz: Ainan Mannz Swebiskōz Tō [1.1]

Druhtinoz
    Ainan Mannz Swebiskōz Tō

Chapter 1: A New World

We never even saw it coming. We heard from some that a small tribe had been conquered in the east. "Big whoop," we thought, as that often happened. After this, several more tribes joined this group, and yet we saw no reason to fear; we had thousands of warriors ready at a moment's notice.

I never knew there could be such large armies.

I saw that their forces were too big for our own to handle, but our Druhtinoz ordered us to fight. I complained of arm-sickness and that my sword-arm was out of commission. It worked.

Hours and hours of bloody fighting could not stop the enemy from overwhelming us. It turned out that our numbers were equal, they just used their far better than we did: half their troops fought near the gates while the other half went for the town square. Many of our infantrymen were fighting them near gates, but they threw javelins over the walls to win the fight there, too. It was a slaughter, and the place stank of bodies for three days.

Afterwards, the Druhtinoz of the other tribe, who we now know are the Swebōzez, treated us as equals and allowed us to join his confederacy. We would be allowed to keep our own culture, and our tribes could mix freely. We'd just have to provide troops when he needed them. My life was back to normal for some years. Until one day, the recruiter came by our town. He took out a scroll of runes and read off of it:

(I actually know what that says. I spent the "excused" leave on battle learning the alphabet :) )

The Druhtinoz wants more soldiers? Well, I figured, I'm not married, am childless, have no real commitments, and am your average fulkōz jugunthōz (a literate one at that ) eager for glory, gore, and plunder. I'd better start practicing, then.
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 08-25-2008 at 19:41.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by skullheadhq
    Run Hax! For slave master gamegeek has arrived
    "To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

Default Re: Druhtinoz: Ainan Mannz Swebiskōz Tō [1.1]

Looks very good, but can't you upload yourpictures to the thread? It would make looking at the pictures and reading the text a lot easier. BTW what does your AAR title mean?
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

Use [IMG] https://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=hutsrm9.png [/IMG], but without the spaces for the images to show up (or just select the link and press the add image tag button from the toolbar)

I did (in the IMG tags, with the [] ) but it didn't work. Srsly.

Ainan Mannz Swebiskoz To = One Man Sweboz-ish Of = One man of the Sweboz/Suebi
    Last edited by gamegeek2; 04-15-2008 at 17:57.
    Europa Barbarorum: Novus Ordo Mundi - Mod Leader Europa Barbarorum - Team Member

"To robbery, slaughter, plunder, they give the lying name of empire; they make a desert and call it peace." -Calgacus

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

Did you remember to stick the / at the ending img tag?
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

yup

Chapter VI: Tō Horjōzez andi Mannōz (Of Wars and Men)

(Apologies; school trip and projects slowed this a lot.)

At last, at peace, marching through the most beautiful forests I have ever laid eyes on, hardly like the cold, dark ones back home. Daily, after marching and setting camp, we hunt, providing ourselves with good food and meat to go with our usual rations of grain stolen from the countryside. It seemed like those heroes' stories, where they march towards their destination, journeying through fascinating lands, but always knowing what was on the horizon; we never forgot where we were going.
    Over years, one will get tired of a war. I certainly did. And I thought it was almost over, as we marched towards Bibracte...

Ambush. The more "civilized" folk to the south and east regard it as dishonorable, but honor is not the point of war, as I have come to realize. It is a profession, and should be carried out with pride and honor as well, but that does not mean that the tactics need to match their execution. I was a fool to not realize it; I thought we had just crushed most of their forces. Little did I know; my soul must already be weary.

For 10 hours did that battle rage, and all our troops were destroyed, while they had some left. But my hardy thegnōzez held out, and routed 5 units. The Belgae once again proved invaluable, one unit alone dispatching almost twice their number of Belgae (experience pays off) and a general after, while the other destroyed some of the king's horses and some of the king's men, and I myself slew the king. Such heroic deeds earned me and all the survivors the title of hero, and the day was honored with a holiday, that survives on the fourth Munadiz of the fifth month of the Romiska calendar.
    Within a year, the army was restored to full size and slew another Druhtinōz Aeduiskōz and his equal-sized band of fools. Bratosporios fell, and a couple of large armies came to take it, falling with minimal casualties on our part. Perhaps, I thought, the Aedui might be a bit depopulated at this point. Or were their peasantry mindless breeding machines? Bratosporios was mainly Belgic, so I wouldn't know. At least now we had a monopoly on the Belgae, who were pretty happy about the fact that their brethren weren't fighting a hopeless cause. Though some Soldurōzez continued to come and fight well, they fell with their comrades in the end.

Last edited by gamegeek2; 05-10-2008 at 21:47.

Chapter VII: ende Livōn Horjōneso Ainan Dagiz (A day in the life of a general)

Another day, another battle. We rise in the morning, to crush a simple force of levies, from nearby Cenabum. In ten seconds, they are fleeing from the hills, and our horsemen ride them down.

These horsemen have been with me for a couple years now. I've begun to get the feel of cavalry, how to work it into the infantry's role. They've proved far more useful than foot-soldiers for circling the enemy lines, as well as skirmishing and charging duties. Mounted on fine ponies like those of our enemies, they hire themselves out to us for good wages, for they must feed their mounts, too. However, the steeds can mostly live off the land quite easily, so that's not as much of a problem; the true problem is the enemy. Who the horsemen were quite happy to crush, along with my footmen.

Meanwhile, myself and my loyal Thegnōzez, or Soldurōzez as I have begun to call them, had felt rather bored. Or rather eager. Or rather just feeling like it. For any (or all) of these reasons, we slammed into the entourage of knights that followed their royal pain in the butt around. Peh...pretty helmet means retty easy to find. Not very smart, I'd say...

When do I get my turn?

The sounds of dying horses and cleaving Gallic mail brought sick music to my ears, and I had the great honor of dispatching the royal fool who led his knights into my foot equivalents. True to their oath, the Thegnōzez stood their ground while my other men handily enveloped the main force and crushed it. Now, the path to Cenabum was clear.

Another pestilent army of only swordsmen arrives later that day, but they pose no challenge. I don't even want to describe the slaughter.

Chapter VIII: Twōz Thengōzez Mekiloi (Two Great Things)

Menōthz Femthōz tō Jar, Jar tō Senabōm tō Horjōz Wolhiskōz

I do seem to have caught up on my journal, and am able to write of present or recent times and memories, and in far more detail.

Illy does the seer speak of fortunes to come. I never have trusted those fools, and this one no better. The men, however, seem to believe her wisdom. However, we still head into battle, and intend to succeed.

While some of our swordsmen found them stuck between charging Bree-hen-ten (as they call the knights) and swordsmen. It was the first time I ever saw the true power of charging horsemen, armed with spears. I wonder what our own versions of these troops could do? Not to mention the swordsmen at their back. Now I knew what kind of hell I pulled with my tactics, as I felt for those poor men, surrounded by hordes of foes, eager to impale one of our valuable veterans on a sword and carry the man's head home for a trophy. I would have none of that.

The Dugunthiz Gaizobrukōnez came in, just as the knights withdrew to set up another charge, and another wave of swordsmen slammed into our own, proud Germanic ones. These were set upon by the knights, which was not a very wise move on the horsemen's part, as my guard was standing by.

[Once again], our veterans crushed the usual Aedui fresh recruits. They field good quality swordsmen, used to war games, but games are nothing like the battlefield; there is no mercy, there are no rules. There is only what you and your foe can muster, and how both of you use it. We mustered more experience, and used it to succeed in combat and annihilate our foes.

Oh, and I gave the Kuningaz a little "present"...

And he sends me better news...

While no great horse-thanes are available yet, nor their foot counterparts, indeed it is a great accomplishment. The Kuningaz says that he will try his best to foster trade so great iron-smiths can come and outfit such a force. By Taranis (excuse me, Thunrōz), I hope he can, because we need some real armour for others than myself and guards. However, after I have settled in to regrow this town, the Wolhiskōzez have the nerve to besiege me again. Go figure, those endless vermin...and the third Vergobret an army under my control will have killed. However, their Magistrate did escape, with a gash across his helmet and a frown across his face; it wasn't likely he would be returning. I wouldn't.

ende Felthōz Geg (In the Field Again)

As I leave the hall to meet the foe in battle again, after so many months of the city, I feel a rush of energy like I have not experience, an age-old memory coming back to me. The cool air of the peaceful country, unaware of what terrible things will soon take place, and the excitement and satisfaction of battle.

To the west lies the weakest Wolheso settlement nearby, Darioritum. After conquering that, I intend to head back and unite the tribes, like my father dreamed I would. Perhaps I will stop and visit my hometown to see if he is still alive for him to see his dream come true...and his son become the great conqueror he was destined to be. I never knew if he was killed in that great battle; the Swebōzez took him prisoner, so I have no clue. But my greatest lament is that I will be leaving my beloved Belgae behind in the conquered lands, though I will take back my Germanic soldiers to be retrained in the Gawjam. But all will be well in these lands when I am gone, as long as they remain, as long as my spirit remains with them...

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

You never got there did you?(not to be rude)Now you play the oppisite end of the sword.
    Last edited by the man with no name; 03-01-2009 at 04:24.
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Dude plz stop necro-posting stuff

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?