Thread: About cheaters!

I just wanted to say that posting names of cheaters is useless. You and other people on this site may not play them, but they will still get other victims. Not only that but they can have different names. There is no way to stop cheaters by naming them, there's too many ways around it.

If you look in the MODs forum, read my post. I'm looking into an anti-cheat patch. Read the post for more info. I am making up several different ways to do this, and any suggestions or help is appreciated. Right now I'm busy with school term papers and have about a month and a half until I graduate highschool, but I'm using what little free time I have(if I'm not playing shogun ).

This, I feel, is the only way to truly stop cheaters. If you use a scan of some sort while in the game room, and find that someone cheats, then the proper actions can be taken. Sure, there will be those without an anti-cheat patch, but having one will discourage cheaters and beat them at their own game. Probably 80-90% of cheaters are lamers who don't know how to hack, but just use existing software.

What do you guys think? I don't want to put too much time into this if no one will use it, but I'm thinking that most of you will agree.
    - A conclusion is simply the place where someone got tired of thinking.
    - The only thing we learn from history is that we learn nothing from history.

I agree,

And I wish you the best of luck...though I dropped outta my C++ class, my Visual Basic class, and barely made it through my other computer science class...so umm...I wish I could help you, but I"m useless. Though I do believe it's the only way to stop cheaters. Cheaters are NOT going to feel "guilty" by having their names posted. They'll get a new name, and keep doing it. So what's the use?

I play Counter-Strike a lot, and there's always a constant battle against people who create cheats and people who create patches...and usually the patches win. So I honestly think it's the best way to do it...

And I wish the best of luck to those of you out there combatting this cheating "epidemic".

------------------
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji
    Honour And Pride
    --Bodhiharma Daidoji

If you can find some way to make this work and EA doesn't have a problem with external software, this would be the definite solution to cheating problems. You have every honest player's backing - go High Voltage-san!

------------------
    "2. Yu: bravery tinged with heroism."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

I am with you brothers in your endeavors.

One interesting idea I heard was to do a reverse-cheat thing: if the cheater makes use of his cheat, make it be applied to him instead of his intended victim, so that he will swallow a bitter pill of his own making.

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

CD-KEY i just say CD-key..............records all your names on EA server http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000762.html

------------------
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan
    May the honour be with you all..........EuroSan the reborned spirit of LinkSan

High Voltage,

CA/DT said they were taking steps to address online cheating. Whatever they come up with is supposed to be implemented when the v1.13 patch is released. That can't be too far off now. You might want to wait until then before putting in too much time.

My impression is that cheating is on the increase, and it could drive a lot of people away from playing online. It's an important problem to try and solve. I'll check your post in the mods/patches forum, and see if I can contribute in any way.

MizuYuuki ~~~
    Clan Takiyama ~~~

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

Konichi va, High Voltage-san!

I usually save my game in the end of a season. If i lost a very important battle, i use the LOAD option...

Am i a cheaper?? (

Cheating the AI is ok as long as you don't cheat on multiplayer. We are talking on multiplayer cheaters that must be destroyed.

------------------
    Don't use only honour, use theforce, too.
    http://darksideclan.fateback.com
    Enter the Darkside...
    I cannot return l presume so l will keep my name among those who are dead by bows!
    http://www.dedicatedgaming.com/~angelsofdarkness

My son and I used to be heavily into Diablo which was totally infested with cheats.

We set ourselves up as the anti-cheats or 'Guardians' which actually meant we had to use the cheats ourselves. (Set a thief to catch a thief as they say)

There was no way to defeat someone with invulnerability cheats set so we contented ourselves with accessing their character profile screwing up their character settings and sending them back to the player chat room with their character name name carefully edited to 'Sh*thead PK'.

It was amazing how long it took some of them to realise what we had done and why everybody was laughing their socks off at them.

[This message has been edited by Didz (edited 05-10-2001).]
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

LMAO..nice one didz...i played for like one game online of Diablo2 and just gave up....about 90% of the community cheat in that it seems......

The sanme is true of Red Alert in some respects....there are many anti cheat programs available for that game now and EA and westwood don't seem to mind so maybe they wouldn't on this game...

Another thing that seems to be interestin is that there r almost no cheats on the european and pcific servers of RA" but the US server is overrun with cheaters......no i am not pointin fingers at american because peeps everywhere use the US server...just thought it was interesting

-Fury
    "The only certainties in life are that we are born and we die. The rest is just a sea of complexity"

seems the youngsters learn from the vote counting wityh the last election
    Clan Wolves: 10 years in Total War
    visit us at wolves.magyarkhan.org
    and youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/ClanWolves
    and watch a Creative Assembly employee struggle in battle....

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

i played diablo 2 for a while also. and i think, Didz, that you're talking about the 'open' servers, not the 'closed' ones. d2 was very clever about how they set that game up. on the open servers you could cheat to your heart's content and many did, but the closed servers were exactly that. you couldnt cheat because the game was hosted by the servers themselves. it wasnt passed off to the players like in shogun. the open servers simply passed the game off, but not the closed. the full blown game was ON the server and heavily protected from cheating. your user characters were stored there as well, not on your harddrive like in the open game. and that's the absolute best way to prevent cheating.

shogun runs a system like the open d2 servers. the files on your harddrive are the files that are used in the game. this opens things up to cheaters in that all they have to hack are their own files. if the game resides on the servers then you have to hack the servers, and that's a LOT more difficult...and dangerous, and easier to detect. it's also a felony offense in the states now. but hacking your own files carries no penalty and is extremely easy to do, well, relatively anyways.

now, we have no permanent character files in shogun other than the honor tracking and the cd key recognition, but if you really wanted to keep the game protected you simply take the key files out of the hands of the player and put them on the server. the trouble with this is maintainence and storage, of course. you'd need more caretaking and safeguards...and servers, and of course, expense. so that's not likely to happen.

i do agree that some simple in game cross checks are a good idea, but with things like packet hacking, how often would you check? just at the start of the game, only in the foyer setup? how many things are you going to check for? just koku, or maybe unit stats? how about forced routing and morale? what about forced no routing and the altering of honor? how much lag are you going to add with all these checks if you start doing them all during the game?

wasnt it sun tsu (however you spell his name) that said 'know your enemy?' i think this applies here quite nicely. i havent run into many cheaters in this game. i tend to play folks i know. i also dont play comp games at all cause i dont agree with how honor is computed in this game and i find that those that are 'honor hungry' tend to have little true honor anyways.

i'm not saying dont write your anti-cheat program; hell, i hope you do crack the unit stat thing so we can make a units mod, but i am asking that you consider what yer getting into and what can of worms you're opening. even in the open servers on d2 i could enjoy myself and quickly recognize if there was a cheater in the game or not and i'd simply quit out and find another. hell, in that thing i even ran a few hacked characters myself just to test things out. the difference was i wasnt using the hacks to belittle or stomp on other players. it was more like playing a single player game where you pad your character a bit just to see what can happen. heck, i even hacked it backwards at times just to give myself a disadvantage.

so, my final question, i guess, is are you now playing shogun for the fun of it or are you playing to 'prevent cheating'? there is a difference.

K.