Thread: E. B. 1.1 problems installing or playing. help please.

Default E. B. 1.1 problems installing or playing. help please.

I have vista & have turned off UAC

After installing when I go to play it I have seen 2 things

"E. B. Trivial Script Error

Execution of command 'RomeTW.exe-modieb -show_error' failed (error 2: the system cannot find the file specified.)"

and this

"EB TrivialScript Error

can't open file 'EB\preferences\preferences.txt' (error 3: the system cannot find the path specified.)"

I have obviously installed it wrong or in the wrong place. I have tried it a couple of different ways. Every way I try it when I select a place to put it, it warns:

"Destination Directory is not valid. Please choose folder where Rome Total War was installed. Do you want to proceed (click yes if you have expected this error)"

Any folder I choose gives me this message. The rtw file/folder/whatever is in programs. It tells you from the start not to put it in "program files".

I am not a pc wiz but I feel one should not need to be one to play this game. I had no problems installing and playing eb 1.0 and it is my favorite game of all time! I want to play eb 1.1. Can anybody help?

I am sorry if this has been explained. I looked in the 'how to install' page and thought i did what i was supposed to do. Like I said, I had no problems with 1.0.

Default Re: E. B. 1.1 problems installing or playing. help please.

EDIT: I should learn to read.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 04-20-2008 at 03:51.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

I had the same problem. For one thing, try downloading 1.1 from a different site, because if it is the same problem as mine was you have a corrupt or incomplete download. And also, move your Rome: Total War folder out of program files and just into the C drive, then install EB in there. Hope this helps
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

moriluk you are installing EB in wrong folder.
    Make sure you are installing it in folder that has Rome TW.exe file.

So if you have installed RTW in for example:

"C:\Rome Total War" then you can find Rome TW.exe in this directory "C:\Rome Total War\\Rome TW.exe" so when you install EB install it i n"C:\Rome Total War\"

Dont install it in "C:\EB" or "C"\Rome Total War\EB" it has to be "C:\Rome Total War"

What LB said --> I should've read post#1 better.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Sorry Tellos Athenaios. I know you are probably sick of questions that you answered in your FAQ's. I had already reinstalled RTW but not far enough back to be in just C:\ . So I thought no matter what I did, somehow RTW was always under Programs.

Simply copy your whole RTW folder from Program Files to somewhere else on your disk. Then install EB into that new placement.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Unhappy Re: E. B. 1.1 problems installing or playing. help please.

I have installed RTW in the C drive
    The location is:
    C:\Rome Total War
    I can go to this location and start up RTW. But when I try to install EB 1.1 there I still get the 'Destination Directory is not valid. Please choose folder where Rome Total War was installed'. If it is not there then where is it? Wouldn't 'Rome TW.exe' be in 'C:\Rome Total War' if that is where it was installed???
    I have also installed it to C:\Users\Rob\ (and tried to install EB there) and the same thing happened. I even moved it (well, dragged it) to the desktop and the same thing.

bovi, LorDBulA, the Bean, & Tellos Athenaios; I have tried to move, copy, install, and re-install RTW to the C drive. This is where is says it is and this is where I can access it. So why is it not "where Rome Total War was installed"??

At the risk of sounding totally inept, I am asking what part of what you guys are telling me am I not doing? It just seems like where ever I put RTW, I try to install EB there and I keep getting the same message about the destination directory not being valid. I have tried this about 12 different ways now and every time I get the same problem.

Please check what the contents of C:\Rome total war are, in particular see that it contains RomeTW.exe.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Thank you everyone! I have NO IDEA what I did different on my umpteenth RTW/EB install but it finally worked!!

Its true youhave to move Rome Total War folder to the c\ drive then it will install.
    Don't for get to install 1.2 Europa Barbarorum after.
    GOOD LUCK.