Thread: Help please: South Bay area (~San Jose) housing search

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Default Help please: South Bay area (~San Jose) housing search

So the Don learned this week that he's being relocated to company headquarters in Santa Clara. As much as I LOVE the valley, and I do when I'm visitng, I'm terrified, because I'm just not ready. The Corleones are a 1-income family with some pretty incompatible needs that had me thinking the eventual move to Silicon Valley wouldn't come for another 8 or 10 years.

So, I'm doing some research. Not wanting to panic a pregnant Mrs. Corleone, I've told her it 'might come up in a year, maybe more'. In reality, the time limit I was given is less than 6 months. Based on my calculations, we'll be able to afford ~500K (maybe a tiny bit more if I get a relocation adjustment, but that's not for certain).

I don't want to drive 90 minutes each way. I've got 3 medium sized dogs, so townhouses aren't an option, and I don't want to live in Evergreen or Alum Hill and dodge bullets.

The best I seem to be able to find right now is Willow Glen if I want a tiny house, Blossom Hill/ Santa Teresa if I don't mind a 'up and coming' *cough* *crime* *cough* neighborhood, or Morgan Hill/East Bay area if I don't mind driving 60/70 minutes each way. And the gas! $$$$$$

Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-20-2008 at 00:30.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Default Re: Help please: South Bay area (~San Jose) housing search

Well 500k can get yourself a load of places but your being relocated to santa clara eh?

So tell me what the minimal driving distance you want. I live in the north bay(very north, marin county to be exact) But have lived all over california and I know where its cheap. I mean the house across the street from me just went for 550k because of the huge price drops around here. And we're one of the most expensive places to live in the bay area(avg houses go for 1.2mil)

But here are some town areas that would be good for you. The good thing about the bay area though is the public transit. Bart and buses and fairies(I believe thats the right spelling) take you where you want to go.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

You mean maximum driving distance? Well, I drive 30-35 minutes right now, cause I live in the sticks. I'd like to be no more than 30 minutes w/out traffic, so that if something happens at my daughter's school or at the house, I can get home in short order.

Any ideas on how the neighborhoods in South San Jose (Blossom Valley, Willow Glen, San Teresa) are?

Thank Jkarinen

DC

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

I wish I knew how South San Jose was but I stumbled across a nice neighborhood when I visited the Egyptian museum. Tho I do not know how big of a neighborhood it is, the Rose Gardens are right there, tho no dogs are allowed in it, I noticed a lot of people walking around it with dogs. I wasn't able to see the prices of the houses but it looked like a real nice neighborhood. Not to mention that a large mall, Westfield Valley Fair Mall, is near by. Along with a freeway entrance right next to it allowing easy access to both parts of the bay. BART does not reach SJ sadly, and I personally hope they extend but with the budget problem...it might be a while. But as Jkarinen sad, buses, ferries, and other transportation systems are very good here so hopefully you won't have tooooo many problems with gas haha...

Here's the link to the area on Google Map: 1342 Naglee Ave, San Jose, CA 95126. The houses are between W Hedding St. ; Park Ave. ; Naglee Ave. ; and N Bascom Ave. There seem to be several parks in the area for you to play with your dogs hopefully as well as Carmel little south of SJ which is a dog friendly town if you want to take your dogs to a nice neighborhood. There are a few hospitals near by to for your wife...but I'm not sure if you've checked out the are but it looked really nice. Hope this helps a lil.
    Last edited by Decker; 04-20-2008 at 01:35.
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Blog Entries

Move to Danville. lol.

Pfft...nothing's out there haha. Oakland or Richmond are cheaper
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Wouldn't Danville, Oakland or Richmond represent more than an hour drive, each way, to get to Santa Clara if there isn't traffic? Wouldn't it be closer to 2 hours in traffic?

I'm leaning towards a couple of neighborhoods within San Jose itself at the moment:

Blossom Valley (looks to be the best so far, all things considered)
    Almaden Valley
    Willow Glen
    Santa Teresa

Do all of these sound like nice neighborhoods? Each have some good schools, and each have some not so good. I'm actually okay with the schools not being the greatest, provided the neighborhood is safe and family friendly, as there's a good chance the little Corleones will be going to parochial schools regardless.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.

Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    Wouldn't Danville, Oakland or Richmond represent more than an hour drive, each way, to get to Santa Clara if there isn't traffic? Wouldn't it be closer to 2 hours in traffic?

I'm leaning towards a couple of neighborhoods within San Jose itself at the moment:

Blossom Valley (looks to be the best so far, all things considered)
    Almaden Valley
    Willow Glen
    Santa Teresa

Do all of these sound like nice neighborhoods? Each have some good schools, and each have some not so good. I'm actually okay with the schools not being the greatest, provided the neighborhood is safe and family friendly, as there's a good chance the little Corleones will be going to parochial schools regardless.

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone.
    Lmao I was kidding about Oakland and Richmond. You DON'T want to live in those places! Trust me.

As for travel...we have this lovely system called BART! Tho it appears that it doesn't reach SJ or Santa Clara so it's kinda silly but it's a gas saver if ya ever want to go to the city haha...

As for your neighborhoods you are looking at...I've never really been through them but Almaden is pretty good and I think Willow Glen... not sure tho...