Thread: Portraits of a politician

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Portraits of a politician

Two commissioned portraits of Tony Blair have been unveiled recently, one by Jonathan Yeo and one by Phil Hale.

Yeo had already made one in 2001.

Yeo, 2001

This year Blair sat for him again and this is the result.

Yeo, 2008

Last year Phil Hale began painting Blair and with all due respect I feel he captured the man far, far better than the Yeo's which seem to capture only the image.

Hale, 2007
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Portraits of a politician

Gah, I think Britain would rather forget that face.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

Those are awful. They make him look so slimy and old. Blair should be remembered for his upbeat nature and decency. Those highlight neither of those things.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    Those are awful. They make him look so slimy and old. Blair should be remembered for his upbeat nature and decency. Those highlight neither of those things.

What was decent about pretending to be Protestant just to become PM then converting back to Catholicism as soon as he left? Obviously he should'nt have had to do that, but I know if the situation was vice-versa I would never change my religion for a position of political power.

Although thats not even going into his policies.

Politicians should have better things to do anyway than sitting getting painted and trying to steal a page in the history books.

His Thatcherite hijacking of the Labour party has left British politics in a very dire situation.

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Just on a technical/aesthetic level, the Hale painting is far superior to the two Yaos. As for Mr. Blair's legacy and significance, I'll shut the hell up like a good colonial.

Wow, I never anticipated such partisan reactions. Just wow.

Caledonian, I guess Blair's place in the history books was assured prior to the commissioning of any portraits.

You could go on protesting 'oh my, look what he's done to Britain', but I think the Hale portrait also shows what Britain, power and deception have done to Tony Blair. It's as if the different traits are vying for emphasis, the bitter, almost resigned angle of the mouth and chin, the overt scepticism in the eyes, the hint of anger, even smoldering hysteria in the brow.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Lol, sorry to barge in with a rant, but this is the backroom after all...

As for the art, I like Hale's. It's very, um, atmospheric?

I'm not one of the more artistically inclined, so you'll need to forgive me.

But doesn't his head look very big in that last one? OK his hairs retreated by that point but even at the sides...

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

I love Hale's painting as a painting - not entirely sure its got a likeness though, I think he's rather improved Blair, he looks more like some elite Shakespearian actor than a tired politician.

Interestingly I like your crop of it more that the full painting which is a bit more conventional in composition. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7363847.stm

Can't stand Yeo's
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    Interestingly I like your crop of it more that the full painting which is a bit more conventional in composition. See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7363847.stm
    Darn! You just can't trust that pinko Guardian in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makanyane
    I love Hale's painting as a painting - not entirely sure its got a likeness though, I think he's rather improved Blair, he looks more like some elite Shakespearian actor than a tired politician.
    Then again many politicians are accomplished actors, I mean in the proper sense, not the derogatory one. They are obliged (by us!) to act in accordance with the rules and pomp of office, with the hopes and aspirations of the electorate, those of the people closest to them, heck, even with their own expectations of themselves. I'll bet that most of the time they themselves couldn't tell if they were acting. Besides, Blair will go down in history as being particularly gifted in this department. So I think Hale wasn't all wrong to suggest this aspect.

As with the trademark white shirt with open collar - it used to suggest energy, now it does the opposite. The face is dynamic enough, it's the neck that makes it old.

I could think of a myriad things Blair did wrong, but I think this painting first and foremost reflects what we do to politicians. We elect them to do some very dirty work for us, we expect them to lie and manipulate, intimidate, look relaxed on the scene as well as maintain total control behind it, and in the end we condemn them for it and want their faces scrapped from our memory. That takes its toll on any man or woman.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-23-2008 at 22:34.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

It couldn't have been said better. Nor could someone get closer to the truth.

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

That is true. I really like Tony Blair and like what he's done with the U.K.

What would I know.

Plus - he was never Catholic, he just converted after his term was over. It isn't a far leap from High Church Anglicanism.

The entire premise of Anglicanism was to break off from the Church so that Henry could have more power, control church lands more exclusively and divorce his wives. There is no real reason to be a High Church Anglican and not switch to RC - especially if you find the Pope to be a good guy.
    The separate Catholic "rites" ensure that the English tradition will be maintained, just as the others have.
    Does anyone have a better reason why Henry broke from Rome? I see the other break offs, but that one was purely cynical.

Don't answer me here, make another thread or PM me - i don't want to hijack.
    Last edited by ICantSpellDawg; 04-23-2008 at 23:09.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Portraits of a politician

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    What was decent about pretending to be Protestant just to become PM then converting back to Catholicism as soon as he left? Obviously he should'nt have had to do that, but I know if the situation was vice-versa I would never change my religion for a position of political power.
    Paris vaut bien une messe

They make him look so slimy and old.
    But he is slimey and old

I think the Hale portrait also shows what Britain, power and deception have done to Tony Blair.
    I wonder if there were portraits done of Bush to match these in the same timescale would they show the same burden etched on the face of the man , or is Bush just too stupid to realise what he has done .

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    I wonder if there were portraits done of Bush to match these in the same timescale would they show the same burden etched on the face of the man , or is Bush just too stupid to realise what he has done .
    I've been briefly looking around the Web but all I could find were lots of amateur portraits, nothing 'official' or commissioned by the Bush family. And lots of photographs, but I guess that's not what we're looking for.

Anyway, what did you mean by stupid?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

I laughed the last remnants of my brains on that video!
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Blog Entries

Is it me as does the Hale painting make Blair look a lot like Emperor Palpatine?

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

First two really represent him as he wanted to seem, then and now. Third one is how I imagine Blair when the cameras are off.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Well, I wouldn't expect him to put the third one up in his living room.

On the first he looks a bit...childish, naive maybe? Second and third I both like although in the third his forehead looks too big IMO.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Just on a technical/aesthetic level, the Hale painting is far superior to the two Yaos.
    I agree.

As for Mr. Blair's legacy and significance, I'll shut the hell up like a good colonial.
    Good lad.

They make him look so slimy and old.
    Go wash your mouth out with carbolic soap this instant!

Come back Tone mate, all is forgiven!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Yes but are they art?

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Husar
    in the third his forehead looks too big IMO.
    At least someone agrees with me.

This is the Guardian cartoonist's take:

Steve Bell 2008