Thread: Another scoop?

I received the May issue of the Finnish games magazine Pelit today. (This is always the event of the month for me. )

It has a preview of the Mongol Invasion expansion! Even though it doesn't appear to be based on a tested alpha version, or otherwise be so intricate as the GamesDomain one, it's well written at least... And it has one interesting paragraph.

[Translation Wizard Mode ON] Quote The end of the single player campaign will no longer break up into subduing individual rebelling provinces. Now the rebel generals can found their own clans, who will develop their fiefs normally and be open to alliance proposals, or make them.[/QUOTE][Translation Wizard Mode OFF]

Interesting, no? I thought at first that the option to end the campaign when you possess 40 of the 60 provinces should be adequate, but if this is true, it would add even more spice to the campaign... Very interesting indeed.

------------------
    "3. Jin: universal love, benevolence toward mankind; compassion."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Yes, certainly, this would be a welcome feature, but I reckon it unlikely, as this would create lots of extra work, such as voiceovers for the emmisaries, different graphics for clan motifs as well as numerous other things, however, I dearly hope it is true. Only time will tell...

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

The added work does make this seem an unlikely feature. However, this would add so much to the final years of the game. Everyone knows how boring it is to trample over hoards of ronin.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Maybe they'll be the eliminated clans, reborn. A lot of game mechanics issue to resolve with that, though.
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Let' hope this isn't a rumor, love the idea.
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

Yeah it sounds great, totally transforming a large chunk of the game. The only thing that worries me is, if it is more than a rumour wouldn't there have been a mention of it in the GamesDomain preview?

Hate to be a killjoy, it just crossed my mind.
    The general claimed the troops owed their victory to him, but in truth they knew it was their gift to the general.

Bloody hell, my icon changed! Only another 980 posts to go, eh?
    The general claimed the troops owed their victory to him, but in truth they knew it was their gift to the general.

You mean until you're a Kensai or a Samurai Regent?

[This message has been edited by Alastair (edited 05-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Alastair (edited 05-09-2001).]
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

Senior Member Senior Member Erado San's Avatar

Karhu,

The GamesDomain review was based on an alpha version, and they may not have played the campaign to the end. So either this option wasn't in it yet, or they didn't play long enough to see it happen.

Or this is just a rumour and it isn't true at all. Which I doubt. I know they have some surprises left, and this might be one of them.
    A voice from the past is heard in the lands...

Erado San: Let's hope you're right - from what you say it certainly sounds plausible, especially as Anssi's source is on a much more credible level than 'rumour' anyway. Thank you for restoring my faith again, and for making my day for the second day in a row (see Tech forum).

Alastair: Who knows? I only recently twigged that icons change after a certain number of posts. I thought people chose to be Ronin: their own boss, beholden to no-one, out of the rat race, all that kind of thing.

I certainly hope it's true. The single-clan endgame is by far the most monotonous part of the game.

------------------
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.
    He is justly served; It is a poison temper'd by himself.

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

If, as Anssi posits the "New" Clans are the eliminated clans re-born, that would eliminate a lot of the added work.

If on the other hand, Ronin territories can found new Clans not part of the original seven (this is my hope) then it would indeed require some additional work, but not as much as you may think. There is a lot of graphics work that is already in place but not currently utilized. There would of course have to be some work done in the alliance menu and in some other areas, but what the heck, we can always hope!

In either case, Pelit was the group that got this forum started and made him a star of the community. I'm quite sure that they (Pelit) aren't going to let us down this time either.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

For the mass of us who enjoy playing the solo campaigns this is very good news indeed if it comes to pass.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Having the ronin armies act in concert instead of passively waiting to be conquered would be fantastic.Many of us play the campaign till we either lose or are the last clan standing and then start a new game because the challenge is gone.Hope this comes to pass.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Allowing the ronins to start new clans would make the game much harder.

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Would hope the ronin would fight each other too.

Would assume they could be bought off too with the new bribery rules.
    “You know the sound of thunder Mrs. Garret."
    "Ofcourse"
    "Can you imagine that sound if I asked you to?"
    "Yes I can Mr. Hickok."
    "Your husband and me had this talk, and I told him to head home to avoid a dark result. But I didn't say it in thunder. Ma'am, listen to the thunder.”

Well, people have found the Chokosabe Clan info buried in the game already, so they could have that be the end-game ronin clan, with the possiblity of more added on. I'm really glad to see that this is a lot more than just the Mongol Add-On, but they are really looking at how to improve the game itself. We may gripe and moan and swear at them, but the developers do care about this game. EA may not, but CA/DT seem to be paying attention. The campaign end-game was about equal to the diplomatic side of things, as far as needing-improvements goes, and it looks like they're tweaking them both! Kudos to the dev team!

-- B)