Thread: Arabs in Baktria

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Default Arabs in Baktria

Arab Slingers are showing up as mercenaries in Drangiana/Prophthasia. Is this correct?
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Marzbân-î Jundîshâpûr Member The Persian Cataphract's Avatar

Default Re: Arabs in Baktria

No. It actually sounds very odd

They shouldn't even be in that pool. I wouldn't rule out the possibility, but let us just say that it is not likely such a situation would occur, historically. Perhaps around Carmania or Gedrosia, where historical connections with Mâkâ/Mâzûn/Maketa are attested... Zaranj/Zranka however, this is a very different habitat.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - Âriôbarzanes of the Sûrên-Pahlavân

The most likely is that they were part of one of the southernmost provinces of that pool, and they have thus been carried over into the pool when we consolidated. Feedback on the mercenaries has been somewhat lacking, so please post about any other weird ones you come across.

I've removed them in the internal version now, so they only remain in the Arabia and Southern Africa Coast and East Arabia pools.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Scythian horse archers in Athens or Corinth (can't remember exactly)?

Not as weird as the one above, but still a bit too southern I think...

--> - Never near Argos - <--

i managed to bag sythian horse archers in crete.
    they were very usefull upon invasion of the greek mainland

That one is more intended. Here's what was said internally when it was brought up back in october:

we see occasional bands of steppe mercenaries in the Hellenistic record, its certainly not like they stopped looking to serve as mercenaries after the Athenian empire fell apart. However, it should be on a lower refresh rate. .3-.4 would suffice I think.
    They are now at unit steppe missile cavalry skuda fat aexsdzhytae, exp 0 cost 2456 replenish 0.010 - 0.020 max 1 initial 0, so less than half that refresh rate. It will normally take around 75 turns for such a unit to appear, so I think they're as good as they get considering that Hellas is a rather large pool.

Keep 'em coming!
    Last edited by bovi; 04-23-2008 at 14:00.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking