Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewood thread.

Default Firewood thread.

What kind of firewood does the average Orgah prefer?
    Requesting suggestions for new sig.

-><- GOGOGO GOGOGO WINLAND WINLAND ALL HAIL TECHNOVIKING!SCHUMACHER!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WHY AM I NOT BEING PAID FOR THIS???

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: Firewood thread.

charcoal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Well my family used to prefer;

Willington firewoods back when I was a little child.However when
    Thrumpling firewoods showed up, we really had needed to change it. Nowadays we prefer
    Fort Minor firewood as our perfect option out there.

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I use birch and beech - namely because I have a lot of beech logs I need to get rid of. I more or less burn the trees I cut down.
    Last edited by Evil_Maniac From Mars; 04-23-2008 at 04:20.

a nice slow burning hardwood for a campfire in the summer.

Incorruptible Forest Manager Member Tristuskhan's Avatar

Birch to start the fire, oak and Carpinus betulus (don't remember the english word) to follow.
    "Les Cons ça ose tout, c'est même à ça qu'on les reconnait"

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigo
    charcoal

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    I use birch and beech - namely because I have a lot of beech logs I need to get rid of. I more or less burn the trees I cut down.
    At my age, you don't care about the birch and the beech anymore.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

This place called Mars... do you know of it?

My neighbors annoying chihuahuas
    "No one said it was gonna be easy! If it was, everyone would do it..that's who you know who really wants it."

All us men suffer in equal parts, it's our lot in life, and no man goes without a broken heart or a lost love. Like holding your dog as he takes his last breath and dies in your arms, it's a rite of passage. Unavoidable. And honestly, I can't imagine life without that depth of feeling.-Bierut

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tannerite.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Blog Entries

Either Larch, Cedar, or just good ol' Pine or Spruce. We have a lot of wood around here.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

When it comes to camp fires on the shores of the Danube: U can`t beat well dried oak! Neither summer nor winter
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: Firewood thread.

Now what would I need firewood for? :P

EDIT:
    In seriousness, when I go camping and stuff I usually use mac nut wood because its relatively hard and has some oils within that burn well and use kiawe trees from the beach side for kindling and such just because they are an annoying thorny tree and because they are usually really well dried out.
    Last edited by spmetla; 04-23-2008 at 18:42.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

I'm not allowed to make open fires in my flat.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Gasoline. Just gasoline.
    Abandon all hope.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Hmmm... I see someone read my post in the Backroom. I declare Crossloper to be the Dr. Evil of the Day

Firewood?

Maple, by a large percentage. Not the red, silver, Manitoba, or Pennsylvania varieties, only the sugar.

Beech is good, maybe we burn 10 to 20%.

White Birch is okay if perfect, but often is a bit punky when in take down condition. Maybe 10%. It is not considered "premium" firewood up here.

Yellow Birch. Very nice but we don't see much of it.

Oak. Very good, but rare. I tend to horde it when we get any, but always have to trade for it.

Cherry. Very good and we see quite a bit. My buddy hordes it but he has to trade me for it. He burns 20 cords a year (face cords, nobody measures bush cords up here) and maybe 1/3 is cherry. He also keeps several cherry saw logs each year and makes work tables and shelves.

Apple. Very rare, I horde it for BBQ wood and because I like it. Most apple wood is branch size, 2" or 3". Once or twice a year it's firewood size, 8"+.

A bit of iron wood, a touch of elm, and a whisper of tamarack as well.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    [I] He burns 20 cords a year (face cords, nobody measures bush cords up here)
    Just out of curiousity, what is a "cord" for you. This unit was used in France but was so variable it's forbidden today. We use "streres", that's one cubic meter, empty spaces included.
    A cord in eastern france was an honnest 4 cubic meters, but only three cubic meters in Brittany, for exemple.

Kentoc'h Mervel Eget Bezañ Saotret - Death feels better than stain, motto of the Breton People. Emgann!

It depends,what im using the firewood for. For having a fire in a fireplace, pine or spruce is just fine or pretty much anything else, since the little sparking and popping doesnt matter. If im heating up a sauna in a cottage, birch, alder and aspen are good options, while the trees, which have too much resin are no good, because i dont want to mess up the kiuas( fireplace) of the sauna in the long run. Now then if im out in a forest and need to heat up some warm water for example in rainy day or on winter, the small and gunpowder dry below branches of large spruce are optimal for a small fire, since those only need to see fire and they flame on. Unfortunately when im home at my flat, i have no need to use firewood at all, unless my lighter is out of gas and i need to use matches to light a cigarette outside, which are btw aspen here in Finland. So in short it depends.
    Last edited by Kagemusha; 04-23-2008 at 14:43.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I was burning whatever I could get my hands on, mostly yellow pine. Wonder if that had anything to do with why I keep having chimney fires.....

All kidding aside, around here, the best hardwoods to burn are hickory and white oak when I can get them. Red Oak and maple when I can't. I try to avoid red-oak, because you have to split it when it's frozen solid (unless you really like a lot of extra work).

I know what a 'cord' is, but I have no idea what a face-cord or a bush-cord is. I've always heard of a cord to be defined as stacked wood that measured 4' x 4' x 8'.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-23-2008 at 14:48.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I was burning whatever I could get my hands on, mostly yellow pine. Wonder if that had anything to do with why I keep having chimney fires.....
    Or could it have been that mr chimney sweeper had not paid a visit to your house after fire was invented?
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

I use carbon based materials.
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha
    Or could it have been that mr chimney sweeper had not paid a visit to your house after fire was invented?
    I'm just kidding. When I'm camping, I really do use whatever I can get my hands on, and will frequently throw pine in the fire to get it roaring. It's just not very good in woodstoves, too much creasol (sp?). Not that a lot of people around me don't use it anyway.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Turf . damn that isnt wood is it .

Quote Originally Posted by Don Corleone
    I know what a 'cord' is, but I have no idea what a face-cord or a bush-cord is. I've always heard of a cord to be defined as stacked wood that measured 4' x 4' x 8'.
    Something like 3.5 steres. Pretty well balanced.

Let me guess: the forests occur for something like 25-30% of the total surface of the land where you live, no?

Whatever seasoned hardwood they sell at B&Q.

I really need to get myself a nice flat trunk so I can split my own, I need the exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristuskhan
    Something like 3.5 steres. Pretty well balanced.

Let me guess: the forests occur for something like 25-30% of the total surface of the land where you live, no?
    I'd guess it's closer to 50%, but I could be wrong.

Strike for the South

A cord of wood is 16" x 4' x 8'. Otherwise known as a face cord. A bush cord is 4' x 4' x 8'. The only people up here who even dare mention bush cords are city people who use the term because they think it makes them look "woodsy". Barf.

A cord of good firewood will cost you between $45 and $90 (green, split & delivered) depending on what time of year you order it and how much you buy. If you order ten cords in spring, you might get the best price. Most people will pay between $50 and $75. People who use firewood esthetically use one to three cords. Standard burners will use five to eight. People who use it for serious heat will go from eight to twelve. Anything over twelve cords a winter is heavy use.

If you try to find any dry firewood after August, you will be laughed at, spit on, and possibly beaten just on principle.

Nm.
    Last edited by Don Corleone; 04-23-2008 at 21:39.

Strike for the South

Vermonter and Seperatist Member Uesugi Kenshin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beirut
    A cord of wood is 16" x 4' x 8'. Otherwise known as a face cord. A bush cord is 4' x 4' x 8'. The only people up here who even dare mention bush cords are city people who use the term because they think it makes them look "woodsy". Barf.

A cord of good firewood will cost you between $45 and $90 (green, split & delivered) depending on what time of year you order it and how much you buy. If you order ten cords in spring, you might get the best price. Most people will pay between $50 and $75. People who use firewood esthetically use one to three cords. Standard burners will use five to eight. People who use it for serious heat will go from eight to twelve. Anything over twelve cords a winter is heavy use.

If you try to find any dry firewood after August, you will be laughed at, spit on, and possibly beaten just on principle.
    Why would you ever buy wood split? I can kinda understand wanting someone to deliver the wood in a bucked up condition in some ways, for example I have no ready access to woodland where I can fell trees, little experience felling trees and am forced to horde what wood comes out of odd jobs around the house and doesn't end up on our bonfire pile. But splitting is so fun I'd rather do it myself! And since I don't need much wood, we burn it occasionally for campfires and in our fireplace, I wouldn't need more than a cord.

Oh and though I generally end up using miscellaneous brush and branches my perfect fire would be made out of sizable pieces of birch to start and then sugar maple and oak. Birch seems to catch quite well when it isn't punky, and oak and sugar maple are excellent burners, though of course not the best they're also easy to come by around here I'd assume.
    "A man's dying is more his survivor's affair than his own."
    C.S. Lewis

"So many people tiptoe through life, so carefully, to arrive, safely, at death."
    Jermaine Evans

Gentlemen,

It appears I have given unintended offence to our honoured colleague and co-member, Don Corleone.

For any misunderstanding or badly worded comments on my side, I offer my apologies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast