Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The cheese steak thread.

Default The cheese steak thread.

yes, you asked for it, Banqou

First of all: What the hey is it? Where do you get it? How do you make it?

Secondly, does it make you evil if you eat it?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Default Re: The cheese steak thread.

Had one in Paris was pretty good, it's an instant heart attack though.

Coffee farmer extraordinaire Member spmetla's Avatar

Default AW: The cheese steak thread.

There used to be a guy that ran a great little eatery near my house called "Phillysophical Deli," really great Philly Cheese Sandwiches with the addition of onions and mushrooms. Really greasy food food though and not good for the ol' circulatory system, but damn it tasted good. Not sure whether it would be authentic but it was good regardless. Too bad the guy went out of business, not much call for Philly Cheese in Hawaii I guess.

"Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Four stage strategy from Yes, Minister:
    Stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
    Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
    Stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we can do.
    Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : The cheese steak thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HoreTore
    First of all: What the hey is it? Where do you get it? How do you make it?
    Dude. Just try Wiki, eh?

Cheesesteak:
    Cheesesteak is a Philadelphia specialty. This city was founded by Greek colonists in the 17th century, hence the name. These founders brought the recipe for cheesesteak with them, so that they could daily be remembered of the taste of Ancient Grease.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Cheesesteak is a Philadelphia specialty. This city was founded by Greek colonists in the 17th century, hence the name. These founders brought the recipe for cheesesteak with them, so that they could daily be remembered of the taste of Ancient Grease.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Re: Re : The cheese steak thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Dude. Just try Wiki, eh?

Cheesesteak:

OK. Let's be European about this. Just tell me they use Fourme d'Ambert for cheese. Say it now! I will be totally crushed and your revenge on me complete.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-23-2008 at 12:02.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Philadelphia Mayor Ed Rendell, cooks outside Philadelphia can't produce an authentic Philly cheesesteak because, "first, they use good meat. You need the fattiest, stringiest meat to get a proper taste... The second mistake is, they use real cheese. Real cheese doesn't melt like Cheez Whiz... And third, when they fry their onions, they actually drain off the grease. You can't do that."[
    Says it all .

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've only had (true)cheese steaks a couple times(four to be exact, well, kinda), and they were infinitely more delicious in the Philly area than anywhere else.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

There is a war in Philly as to who makes the best cheese steak. The two heavyweights are Geno's and Pat's. They are literally a stone's throw away from each other, opposite corners of an intersection. Geno's has a much higher public profile (compare websites) as does it's owner, the outspoken Joey Vento. There is a "right" way to order your cheese steak too. I don't know all the details but I do recall that you are supposed to say "wid" if you want it "with onions" and you just say "whiz" for Cheeze Whiz. As I recall, the staff will poke fun at you if you order like a newbie.

I've sampled both Pat's and Geno's cheese steaks. Alas, there were too many years between eating each to compare which is best, but I do recall they were both excellent.
    This space intentionally left blank

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Could someone please explain what a cheesesteak is it sounds horrendous. on a side note has everyone noticed how everything in America seems to come with cheese. I once had something called a country fried steak in Rapid City truly awful. Steak should be rare to medium depending on quality and always with chips nuff said thread ended.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Part-Time Polemic Senior Member ICantSpellDawg's Avatar

I hate onions, so I avoid them. I'd rather have a steak steak.
    "That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
    -Eric "George Orwell" Blair

"If the policy of the government, upon vital questions affecting the whole people, is to be irrevocably fixed by decisions of the Supreme Court...the people will have ceased to be their own rulers, having to that extent practically resigned the government into the hands of that eminent tribunal."
    (Lincoln's First Inaugural Address, 1861).
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy
    On a side note has everyone noticed how everything in America seems to come with cheese.
    No. And the New York pastrami sandwich - one of God's great gifts to mankind - certainly doesn't.

The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Quote Originally Posted by TuffStuffMcGruff
    I hate onions, so I avoid them. I'd rather have a steak steak.
    So it's what some steak with cheese and onions this is a crime against nature cheese is not meant for this I say join me in saying down with this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    No. And the New York pastrami sandwich - one of God's great gifts to mankind - certainly doesn't.

That looks nice bit big though course New York almost counts as France in Texas.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

No idea what pastrami is, but that picture sums up why the US is such a fat nation.

Oh wait, we Scots just overtook them for obesity. I suppose thats what we get for spending all our lunch money on sweets and eating Deep Fried Pizzas and Deep Fried Mars Bars.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, you can order them without onions. That's what I do.

Gregoshi hit most of the main points, but I will add that there's a certain type of bread that is required to complete the steak. They are known as Amaroso rolls (from the Amaroso Baking Compant). Geno's uses them; Pat's doesn't (one of the reasons why I prefer Geno's).

Also, a lot of the people who eat at those two places are labelled tourists because they only go where it's famous and not where it's actually good. My favorite cheesesteak place is Tony Luke's, which is a short way's off from P&G.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    No idea what pastrami is, but that picture sums up why the US is such a fat nation.

Oh wait, we Scots just overtook them for obesity. I suppose thats what we get for spending all our lunch money on sweets and eating Deep Fried Pizzas and Deep Fried Mars Bars.

I believe pastrami is some kind of mechanically recovered meat like corn beef or a bog standard sausage people put it in bread never realising what it really is

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy
    I believe pastrami is some kind of mechanically recovered meat like corn beef or a bog standard sausage people put it in bread never realising what it really is

Peasant!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II

Peasant!
    Yes I am and were taking over

Blog Entries

I'd rather have a Rare or Medium Rare Ribeye any day of the week.

I use to eat a bunch of them until I figured out how unhealthy they were (more like started to care).

The school makes a decent one, although many of my coworkers from Philly insist it is crap compared to a "real one".

I usually just get provolone cheese, steak, peppers, and onions. It's damn good if it's put on the correct kind of bread.

Edit:
    I'd rather have a Rare or Medium Rare Ribeye any day of the week.
    I'd prefer if the cow stopped mooing and was dead as I'm eating it.
    Last edited by Ice; 04-23-2008 at 22:43.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

The best way to make these if you're too far to bother driving to Philly is to call your butcher and have him freeze some ribeye. It has to be frozen so he can slice the meat razor thin. In a pinch though, you can hit the Vietnamese market and grab some of the ribeye they have sliced for pho.

If you can't get the Amaroso rolls, try getting fresh baked Italian sub bread. Something with a very soft inside and a flaky, almost crusty outside.

The biggest thing cheesesteak newbs do outside of Philly is get too fancy. No lettuce, tomato, avacado, or mayo. Leave that fancy stuff for the hoagies. All you need is Cheez Whiz, the right meat, the right rolls, and onions.

I can never finish one, it's really unhealthy. But it's the perfect kind of junk food for football weather with a nice light, unhealthy beer to wash the grease out of your throat between bites.

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat

The biggest thing cheesesteak newbs do outside of Philly is get too fancy. No lettuce, tomato, avacado, or mayo. Leave that fancy stuff for the hoagies. All you need is Cheez Whiz, the right meat, the right rolls, and onions.
    I disagree. Lettuce and peppers make it even better.
    I can never finish one, it's really unhealthy. But it's the perfect kind of junk food for football weather with a nice light, unhealthy beer to wash the grease out of your throat between bites.

Spoken like a true American.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice
    Spoken like a true American.
    'Bacon up that sausage, boy.'

'But daddy! My heart hurts!'

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Oh, I loved this about the US. On holiday the rest of the family soon gave up a breakfast, lunch and meal (let alone desserts!). All except me. Dear lord I stuffed myself with the delicious steak sandwiches, or whatever else looked good, for breakfast and lunch, and a massive plate full of fresh American produce (I hope!). And the desserts! The Dutch can learn a lot from that, and from simple delicious meals with a minimum of ingredients and a maximum of taste.

Unhealthy, massive and so tasty.

And the best part? Despite four weeks of that, only went from 61 to 63 kilos.
    Last edited by Geoffrey S; 04-24-2008 at 02:46.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Proletariat
    'Bacon up that sausage, boy.'

'But daddy! My heart hurts!'
    It's "dad".

More great fatherly advice from Homer Simpson.
    Last edited by Ice; 04-24-2008 at 03:56.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Galeic Cowboy you had your Chicken fried steak in Iowa. Thats your problem right there. Middle America rarley gets anything right ,food elections not to mention they have some werid thing about being German that just gets under my skin nice looking girls but usually very niave. At true chicken fried steak comes with taters gravy and a gallon of iced tea. Thats some good eats.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    Galeic Cowboy you had your Chicken fried steak in Iowa. Thats your problem right there. Middle America rarley gets anything right ,food elections not to mention they have some werid thing about being German that just gets under my skin nice looking girls but usually very niave. At true chicken fried steak comes with taters gravy and a gallon of iced tea. Thats some good eats.
    As much as I make fun of Texas, listen to the man here. Texas has some GOOD stuff to eat.

Ugh, it's this sort of thing that spouts fluids into all directions when you bite into it, like hamburgers, döner and the likes, never been into that sort of thing.

Well, today I'm going to have some baked camembert with cowberry sauce and half a pear at the university. Now that's something nice with cheese.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast