Thread: My Homeland is Foreign?

Like the Parthian Boot Member Elmetiacos's Avatar

Default My Homeland is Foreign?

As Baktria I've just taken Alex Eschate from the Saka after it revolted away from AS. I occupied it, but it was really hard to subdue at first and when I looked at the info screen I'm getting a 30% culture penalty. This seems strange, since this province is a Baktrian homeland province. How can a homeland city be giving me a culture penalty?
    'you owe it to that famous chick general whose name starts with a B'
    OILAM TREBOPALA INDI PORCOM LAEBO INDI INTAM PECINAM ELMETIACUI

Default Re: My Homeland is Foreign?

Well what do you think would Saka influences as well as Seleukid ones do to the loyalties of a city?

Any 'foreign' building gives you a culture penalty of some level AFAIK.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

To be fair, the description only says that the Baktrian people consider this one of its core provinces, part of its homeland. It never says the natives agree.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Hehe, true I suppose. I thought I'd knocked down all the foreign buildings that mattered, but there is the "Saka Reforms - becoming Indo-Saka" one that can't be demolished.

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

This is a hard-coded RTW effect that will diminish over time as you construct your own buildings.

Core building is the most important thing, but keeping a good spy there will also help.

honestly i wish we could get more culture penalty in some homeland regions. that might make the nile valley a little less hunky-dory, for example.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    honestly i wish we could get more culture penalty in some homeland regions. that might make the nile valley a little less hunky-dory, for example.
    What about a non-destructible building that causes unrest?
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    What about a non-destructible building that causes unrest?
    It will only cause cultural unrest if the town starts out in someone elses hand (as all starting buildings are always the culture of the owning faction).

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    It will only cause cultural unrest if the town starts out in someone elses hand (as all starting buildings are always the culture of the owning faction).
    Mmmmh... what about an undestroyable building that gives the penalty to everyone but gives an equal bonus to the starting faction if they own the settlement?
    I've seen some of the unique buildings give bonuses to specific factions, so I think this should be possible... never modded buildings though, so I'm not sure.

Even better, give the penalty to everyone except the starting faction (cleaner solution), but I don't know if this is possible.
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

Whilst it might be your homeland all those other holders would have moved their own people in. Military settlers/veterens etc. I just roleplay it.

Lets face it the system isn't perfect (sorry to the EB gods - but CA didn't allow you total freedom) so you just grin and think hey I'll pretend............
    We have fed our sea for a thousand years
    And she calls us, still unfed,
    Though there’s never a wave of all her waves
    But marks our English dead:
    We have strawed our best to the weed’s unrest,
    To the shark and the sheering gull.
    If blood be the price of admiralty,
    Lord God, we ha’ paid in full!

Kipling - and he makes exceedingly good cakes

Building somewhere for a governor to hang out in greatly cut the culture penalty, as well as persuading the inhabitants to remodel their homes in the Greek style.

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

does it just take time for the culture penalty to go down, as more of your people move in? or does it drop when you build specific culture buildings such as the festival buildings or theatres if your the greeks?
    Last edited by /Bean\; 04-24-2008 at 16:57.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

The culture penalty dropped from 3 to 1 little black and white masks when the governor's mansion was finished. At the same time, the look of town changed from barbarian to Greek on the map. Of course, I'd had it under my control for long enough to build a homeland government plus the mansion, so what ~14 turns? It might have happened anyway.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the Bean
    does it just take time for the culture penalty to go down, as more of your people move in? or does it drop when you build specific culture buildings such as the festival buildings or theatres if your the greeks?
    It will go down when you destroy or upgrade buildings that were built by a different culture.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: My Homeland is Foreign?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    It will go down when you destroy or upgrade buildings that were built by a different culture.
    As Elmetiacos implies, the governor's residence is the most important one for culture penalty.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

Temple buildings are also significant.

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.