Thread: House anyone?

Default House anyone?

So due to the constant pushings and talk about this tv show I picked up the first season from a friend and have been watching it.

So far its been pretty funny.

Any one else watch it?

Note: I would write more but my friend told me to finish disk one before he gives me the other disk.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Default Re: House anyone?

i've watched it since the first season, it's one of 3 shows that i actually watch on tv.

Same with my friends... pretty good so far
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Watched it for a bit, but got bored when I realized every episode pretty much follows the same formula. Quite a funny show though.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tratorix
    Watched it for a bit, but got bored when I realized every episode pretty much follows the same formula. Quite a funny show though.
    Well yes, but you'd be hard pressed to find a show which doesn't follow a distinct formula for its episodes. Especially if it's a succesful show.

That said, House is pretty good. Been watching it for a while now.

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Yep. Been following it since the second season. I'm currently a few episodes behind, however. (Not to self: I should watch those this weekend....)
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

I'm a big fan of House. Laurie in the role is probably the best actor working in TV at the moment, and the writing is excellent enough to compensate for the admittedly formulaic nature of the episodes. I do feel that it's begun to run out of steam since the end of series two, though-I prefer series to have the dignity to end before they jump the shark, and the way House is means it's not going to be able to have ER-like longevity.
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

I thought he was good as Bertie Wooster.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

I do, in fact, own a house.

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: House anyone?

I like it very much. I am very impressed by the bastard and found out lately that I see him as some kind of a model for myself. I don't know what consequences this might have in the future yet.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Default Re: AW: House anyone?

Yes, I watch House. I am right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I much prefer Laurie as Bertie Wooster, but he's really the driving force in the show (duh!) and prevents the formulaic plot from becoming too boring. It's driven, but they're going to have to cut it soon, 'cause now it's almost repetative and boring me to death.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

Ooh, yes. I've been watching scattered episodes on AXN, been meaning to pick up the Season One DVD, but it's expensive as hell.

The cases are boring-- there's a fine line between interesting medical terms and gratituous jargon, and the show crosses that line more often than not IMO. And the supporting actors are all pretty bleh, but then again they don't have much material to work with. They're like second-rate CSI characters.

But Hugh Laurie makes the show very watchable. He delievers House's acerbic one-liners well. From the last episode I watched, they were discussing symptoms and House comments acidly, "My memory wasn't what it once was, but didn't we just rule that out three minutes ago?" I had been nodding off, but that snapped me right out of it.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quirinus
    The cases are boring-- there's a fine line between interesting medical terms and gratituous jargon, and the show crosses that line more often than not IMO.
    That's one reason it makes me laugh and turn to a good book instead. The other is that after seeing so many episodes of A Bit of Fry & Laurie, Blackadder and assorted comedy involving His Excellent Hughness I can't help regarding Laurie's House role as just another parody. In fact his American accent is so overdone I wonder if Laurie takes himself serious. I certainly don't.
    Last edited by Adrian II; 04-26-2008 at 20:31.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

You old cynic you!
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    You old cynic you!
    Oh, piffle. House is just Laurie's next parody raised to a square. Judge for yourself.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    In fact his American accent is so overdone I wonder if Laurie takes himself serious.
    From what I've seen of the guy, I doubt it. He seems to keep a pretty good sense of humor about everything, including and especially himself.

Slightly OT: While you may find his accent overdone, I have to admit I was completely fooled. I didn't even know the guy was British until after I'd already been watching the show for several months.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

You wanna hear my sis-in-law (that's right folks, I admit to more than one Yank in the family) she's lived in the UK for nearly a decade and peeps think she's Irish.

The founders can always usurp the masters.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II
    That's one reason it makes me laugh and turn to a good book instead. The other is that after seeing so many episodes of A Bit of Fry & Laurie, Blackadder and assorted comedy involving His Excellent Hughness I can't help regarding Laurie's House role as just another parody. In fact his American accent is so overdone I wonder if Laurie takes himself serious. I certainly don't.
    His accent isn't overdone...

I used to watch but stopped after a while. Is Kumar still in it?

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I recall his saying in an interview that he didn't think he did a very good American accent.

If I actually think about it it sounds a little odd, in that it doesn't quite match any American accent I've heard, but if I met somebody who spoke like that and they told me they were American, I'd believe the person.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

Laurie is my hero, clearly an extremely talented individual - all that's needed to convince one of that is a quick glance at his acting, academic and sporting careers.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Zim
    I recall his saying in an interview that he didn't think he did a very good American accent.

If I actually think about it it sounds a little odd, in that it doesn't quite match any American accent I've heard, but if I met somebody who spoke like that and they told me they were American, I'd believe the person.
    Someone even said Laurie laughs in a British accent.

But there is much more to it, and Laurie is no dupe. Watch this clip and see him struggle with that question. He knows, I know, and you probably (hopefully) know as well that if this question were put to him in a BBC studio his answer would have been far, far less restrained, probably patently absurd (because so is the question), and quite possibly outrageous to an American audience with its PG13 norm and its (different) 'role model' expectations.

That's what I find funny about House. The series as such I'm afraid is a yawn. Laurie himself is freaking brilliant. It's a complete mismatch. You would get the same effect if you gave Bill Murray, whom I find hilariously funny, a major role in, say, East Enders. Would you be able to watch that without constantly feeling that Murray is out of place, that he knows this, and that he is constantly repressing the urge to do something outrageously funny and irreverent that would be totally out of character to the series?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Agree with Adrian. I never understould why House was so popular.