Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: All you photoshoppers out there with a desire to help out EB...

Default All you photoshoppers out there with a desire to help out EB...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...HaddaTypes.JPG

thanks to some amazing work the previous is done. Right now, if you feel like helping out go to the bottom of this post where all the available statues (which you hopefully bring back to life) are posted. To all thinking of doing this, you will be bringing some people who actually existed back into the living. This will enhance future versions of EB exponentially, if you know that the people who are your family members actually existed.

What you see here are two Indogreeks. Especially the guy on the left. Now, what I want you to do, if you feel like it, is to colour them into resembling real live humans, and I guarantee you they will be included into EB2.

Why do this?

Well, a big effort has been done by the team to gather up most of the rescued Hellenistic statues that have survived to this day. They are 60+ (and possibly more, if you people have some more we have missed). One of the things we would like to do, if possible, is to have those marble statues repainted into the people they originally were modeled after and introduce them into EB2. I personally can't imagine something more REAL than having the heads which did play part into forming the history of that time, back into action so to speak, even if under a different name.

I hope you want to do this, if you have the skills. I guarantee you that if you transform this into something that looks like a human (and 3 more down the line), GREAT THINGS will happen, such as being eligible for a "MEMBER" signature such as my own.

I want to thank you for reading this, and more so for taking the time to re-create a real live person who lived in the past. It would increase the historicity we strive for 100 fold.

If you can't help, well, try to encourage those who can. EB has always been a volunteer effort, and none of us is making a cent out of it. What we thrive on? Paint this picture to look like a real live human (if you can) and find out...

--UPDATE--
    The link you see in the first part of the page has been done. There are 7 more pics for you to choose from. I will try to organise them in nations/cultures...

Those that are being worked on would have this colour.

1. Romani.

I don't think this thread would be complete if there weren't two Romani around here.

I think the following ones are maybe two of the most influential of our period.

This guy went to Africa... Work has begun

This guy had a month named after him, Work has begun

First post will be updated with all of the pics for ease of use... ( and also to take back the Indogreeks in the first post. They are done, ready to go, so far as I am concerned.

2. Saka

this pointed hat Saka found in Dalverzine Tepe... what the Achaimenid Persians called Tigrakhauda Saka Work has begun on this one

(leather, with metal studs on it, and an internal hat of some kind probably worn to keep it standing)

and a kushana king (which would double up for a Saka easily) depicted by IndoGreeks in the hellenistic/realistic manner,

3. Greeks

So far as skin tones, variation is key. Your portraits are a great hallmark if you will of one end of the spectrum, Cmacq. Indeed southern greeks did look darker, but Northern ones were of lighter complexion. Baktrians and consequently IndoGreeks would include Thraikians and Illyrians so they would look more lighter than darker. So far as Thraikians are concerned in Ancient Greeks "Thraikian" was a synonym with "gingerhead". In Baktria proper, as well, Blonde and ginger colours weren't uncommon for the IndoIranians living there. I am not saying that they should all look like Nordic people, just that colour variation is key, I think.

Just to give you an example of how the people looked like, using the few scraps we have left...

Found in Fayum 2-4th cent. CE. Still, I am very confident that he is of Makedonian descent. In Fayum there was significant Makedonian/Hellene colonisation.

And the deffinite, Sampul tapestry, depicting a greek soldier found in present day Xinjiang, China, thought to be of Baktrian origin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampul_tapestry

I must say that those guys above are the one end of the spectrum, with the more dark tanned pics of Cmacq being the other. Artists should feel free to wander between those two ends. I just posted them because Ancient greeks back then, whether they were Makedonian, Epeirotes, Athenians, Cretans or what have you, would incorporate many different characteristics, they weren't of one cut cloth, as it were.

---
    As I am waiting for more of those statue "revitalisations" I think that 3+1 more statues should be given out.

Parmeneides from Elea, Work has begun on this one

An unknown statue found in Delos,

Staying on in Gandhara and the IndoGreeks living there, here is another one, depicting either a God or some famous IG of the time, yet even if it was a depiction of a deity, it would have been modelled after a person.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PoseidonGandhara.JPG

I think that after reconstructing the languages, music and weaponry, this is a valiant effort to figure out what those guys 2300 years ago actually looked like.

--The king of Pergamon, Attalos I--

4. Pahlavan

And last but not least:

Last edited by keravnos; 05-05-2008 at 13:35.

You like EB? Buy CA games.

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

Default Re: All you photoshoppers out there with a desire to help out EB...

ill give it a try right now :)

Let me finish off the Arverni for EBCIV and I will take a crack at them. To give me an idea of skin tone, were these men of direct Greek/Makedonian decent or of Iranian, Indian decent?

wip

I assume this is for family members and ancillaries?

BTW Gebe, good work.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Quote Originally Posted by Aranor
    Let me finish off the Arverni for EBCIV and I will take a crack at them. To give me an idea of skin tone, were these men of direct Greek/Makedonian decent or of Iranian, Indian decent?
    I believe that the ancient Dorian Greeks were more of a somewhat Indo-Iranian decent?
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-27-2008 at 15:55.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

my WIP so far, i dont know, maybe too much of a western kind of feel? maybe darken him up abit more? what do you think about the hair, black or just darker brown?

he looks like the j-man......

which there is nothing wrong with that. Probably when you start up, you would get an option for instant win.

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

REGIVS ORATOR LINGVAE LATINAE Member Jaume's Avatar

I don't want to spoil the topic, but please don't forget that Greek Sculpture is very idealist, I mean they made perfect proportions and beautiful bodies even when the model was not this way.

Of course the artistic sources are the best representation of clasical era we have in the present, and they are the model to continuing for modern representations, but anyway don't ever make anything that is barbarian or illogical being based only in sculpture.

And of course this is not an attack to the EB team...

Well, the second one certainly looks like a (reference to) Zeus-Ammon (hair style) but other than that...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

aka Artaserse (the Lone Borg) Member Obelics's Avatar

ah, I tryed one, but it is really amateur...

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    SHAME

Quote Originally Posted by Obelics

SHAME

i like it alot Obelics! i like the skin tone, with the red cheeks etc.
    I can´t photoshop for sh*t but am still giving it a try, cause it´s fun and maybe, just maybe give something back to the EB team for all their hard work.

SHAME
    Looks quite decent to me Obelics. Not to sure about the pink touches on the cheeks and partic the forehead, because wouldn't an Indogreek be slightly darker without the slightly pink from the sun forehead? Although the pink highlights do add some character enhancement.

ah thanks, sure it was a funny exercise, important thing is to have reached at last the limit of the decency...

im sure there will be someone other who will pop up and completely amaze us!

Quote Originally Posted by Gebeleisis
    wip
    Now that is certainly a good start. I don't know if you can try to make it look more like Obelics. Also, IndoGreeks didn't have a separate mustache from the rest of the beard. Thanks for that, I hope you stay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ombudsman
    my WIP so far, i dont know, maybe too much of a western kind of feel? maybe darken him up abit more? what do you think about the hair, black or just darker brown?
    No, it is OK. There are evidence that the Greeks and Makedonians who did came and settled in the Indus and the lands leading up to it (Paropamisadae, Gandhara, etc) did marry among themselves and their offspring would look something like that. Besides the climate in N. Indus isn't that different to that of Europe that those people came from. Himalaya (or Mount Imaos as the IG called it isn't that far away, or Hindu Kush or Paropamisos. Keep going on those lines and, if possible try to add some detail in the face. Great start!

SHAME
    Wow, this is something. This guy actually looks alive. A great effort, if I ever saw one. As I wrote earlier, he looks great. I don't know if there is a need to darken him up, as in the winter and spring he would deffinitely look something like that. Besides, the English in India didn't look like the native Indians did they? IndoGreeks would mingle with the local population, true, but that would happen mostly after the fall of the IG kingdoms. I love that pic, I do.

-Now, can you make an aged version of this guy as well, so that he may be used as a Family member as well?

Thanks a million people, keep working at the portrait, and also, "humanize" the other one as well.

My goal on this thread would be to "bring back to life" as many of the statues we have from the Hellenistic period as possible. Thank you again for your help.

ah thanks, sure it was a funny exercise, important thing is to have reached at last the limit of the decency...

im sure there will be someone other who will pop up and completely amaze us!
    so true, i will keep trying until i got something close to looking like a real human, will just have to limit my posts with updates so i don´t spam this thread too much.
    anyway, did guy number 2, though i think i went a little overboard with the white hair and wrinkles, not sure:

so what do you think? should i keep trying or am i just beating a dead cow, should i stop before someone bans me for butchering art?

thanks for the encouragement Keravnos!
    Last edited by ombudsman; 04-27-2008 at 20:00.

First off, you aren't butchering Art. It is a not so known fact that ancient greek statues were painted, Romani too. I am pretty sure when the statue would be created it would look something like that, with the paint and all.

I don't know if you can take it to the next level, aka making it look like a real live person. Unfortunately I am artistically challenged myself, and thus I can't offer some constructive criticism. Obelics seems to be getting there, I must say. Maybe follow his steps?

Great job on that greying hair.

wip2

thanks keranos really didn't hope it was decent, also good tryouts the other submissions too. I will try to make the aged version.

here's my "aged" version of the guy:

First try... I know he is WAY too light-toned, I'm going to darken it in next versions :P

Note that this is still a WIP, of course, it's far from finished... but I'd like to know if I'm going in the right direction.

Any suggestions?
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

Quote Originally Posted by SunShadow
    Any suggestions?
    im amateur like you, i think it's good, only problem for me is the eyes, it seems he have 2 jewels incastonated in the eyes. But i like it! (mi piace, continualo!)

im amateur like you, i think it's good, only problem for me is the eyes, it seems he have 2 jewels incastonated in the eyes. But i like it! (mi piace, continualo!)
    Yes, I made the eyes way brighter than tehy should be, especially his left one

Yours is nice too!
    Anche il tuo non è male!
    (anzi, il colore è sicuramente più azzeccato )

And thanks for the support!
    Last edited by Pezlu; 04-27-2008 at 22:59.
    (from keravnos, for correctly recognizing the shield design of the Indohellenikoi Eugeneis Hoplitai as a hippocampus)

è divertente a fa ste cose... domani provo con l'altro... può essere che abbiamo trovato una carriera...
    (it was funny to do that, we have to try the other one too)

un saluto!

Been playing around with their skin tones a bit , will work abit more with number 2 when i get a chance, mostly the bald spot and hair. c&c would be most welcome, since it´s the first time im working with photoshop for something more then just doodling around without a plan.
    did not think stuff like this would be so fun
    I really like what you got going there Sunshadow, it´s looking very nice. and Obelics i like the aged version, like the wrinkles alot!

Awesome idea, unfortunatelly I can't photoshop at all Now I'd love for someone to PS this guy!

http://edp.org/Germany/London/Alexander.jpg
    Politics, just like the tropical forest, feeds itself from its own waste.

Been playing around with their skin tones a bit , will work abit more with number 2 when i get a chance, mostly the bald spot and hair. c&c would be most welcome, since it´s the first time im working with photoshop for something more then just doodling around without a plan.
    I really like what you got going there Sunshadow, it´s looking very nice. and Obelics i like the aged version, like the wrinkles alot!

Wow, they look great! Probably the best ones yet.
    In the words of Marcvs Avrelivs;
    Live each day as if it were your last

Ο ΠΟΛΕΜΟΣ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΕΙΑΣ - A Makedonike AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=97530

Bruadair a'Bruaisan Member cmacq's Avatar
    Where on this beige, brown, and olive-drab everything will stick, sting, bite, and/or eat you; most rickety-tick.

Try a slightly darker hair, eye, and skin colour.

greek lady another greek lady young greek another young greek

I picked out the greek types.
    Again, ancient Dorian Greeks, which to some extent include the Makos, were more of a somewhat Indo-Iranian type. Hellenic Greeks in many cases even more so. If you don't like these try looking at roman period art from southern Italy.
    Last edited by cmacq; 04-28-2008 at 05:26.
    quae res et cibi genere et cotidiana exercitatione et libertate vitae

Herein events and rations daily birth the labors of freedom.

I think the tones are fine. The one you posted would be a Fayum painting, from lower Egypt. So far as skin tones, variation is key. Your portraits are a great hallmark if you will of one end of the spectrum, Cmacq. Indeed southern greeks did look darker, but Northern ones were of lighter complexion. Baktrians and consequently IndoGreeks would include Thraikians and Illyrians so they would look more lighter than darker. So far as Thraikians are concerned in Ancient Greeks "Thraikian" was a synonym with "gingerhead". In Baktria proper, as well, Blonde and ginger colours weren't uncommon for the IndoIranians living there. I am not saying that they should all look like Nordic people, just that colour variation is key, I think.

Just to give you an example of how the people looked like, using the few scraps we have left...

Found in Fayum 2-4th cent. CE. Still, I am very confident that he is of Makedonian descent. In Fayum there was significant Makedonian/Hellene colonisation.

And the deffinite, Sampul tapestry, depicting a greek soldier found in present day Xinjiang, China, thought to be of Baktrian origin.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampul_tapestry

I must say that those guys above are the one end of the spectrum, with the more dark tanned pics of Cmacq being the other. Artists should feel free to wander between those two ends. I just posted them because Ancient greeks back then, whether they were Makedonian, Epeirotes, Athenians, Cretans or what have you, would incorporate many different characteristics, they weren't of one cut cloth, as it were.

@Obelics, I think that both your portraits are going in. (Obviously I am not the only one to have an opinion on this, but those are too good to not use, In my opinion). Only one thing missing... the neck. If you can place a neck in both those pictures (and clear up the rest of the pic showing the museum), they are deffinitely EB2 material. The last thing left to do would be the background. Something generic and ancient looking would do.

@Obundsman, I adore your creation. Especially the second one is really something. As with Obelics, a neck, a generic background and in your case an aged version would be needed.

@ Gebeleisis, I like the way you are progressing. However, I can clearly discern that your creation is painted over, whereas for both Obelics and Obundsman everyone looking at that wouldn't necessarily think it is. Maybe the colours in both their faces could have some bigger variation, dunno.

@ Sunshadow, he is "bleached" white. The eyes do look a bit like a jewel, I agree. However, if you can darken him up, give the face some more details (much like Obundsman did) this would look great indeed.

---
    As I am waiting for more of those statue "revitalisations" I think that 3+1 more statues should be given out.

Parmeneides from Elea,

An unknown statue found in Delos,

and a kushana king (which would double up for a Saka easily) depicted by IndoGreeks in the hellenistic/realistic manner,

Staying on in Gandhara and the IndoGreeks living there, here is another one, depicting either a God or some famous IG of the time, yet even if it was a depiction of a deity, it would have been modelled after a person.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PoseidonGandhara.JPG

I think that after reconstructing the languages, music and weaponry, this is a valiant effort to figure out what those guys 2300 years ago actually looked like.
    Last edited by keravnos; 04-28-2008 at 06:32.

In my opinion, I would say with obelics eyes and your hair(for the left guy) would be perfect.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast