Poll: Favourite BI Faction

Thread: Favourite BI faction

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Default Favourite BI faction

Iíve seen many polls about favourite Rome: TW faction. But not any about BI. So whatís your favourite BI faction in the game?

Been there, conquered that.... Member Darkvicer98's Avatar

Default Re: Favourite BI faction

I was drawn to Celts and Berbers but i prefer Berbers because of their desert infantry and their position on the map. The Celts only have one tuned up settlement which is on ireland while the Berbers have more space and own west Africa.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the dogs of War!

A brave man may fall,but he cannot yield-Latin Proverb

Arms keep peace-Latin Proverb

Post Re: Favourite BI faction

I'd probably say the ERE - varying unit roster and strong enemies from both the West (WRE), they seem to recover from their initial economic turmoil quickly under the AI, and the East (Sasanids).

Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Deranged rock ape Member Quirinus's Avatar

I have three favourite factions: the ERE, the Franks and the Romano-British. I don't usually like playing barbarian factions, but the Franks have a special place in my regard because it's my first successful RTW campaign ever (I bought both RTW and BI together and played BI first).

The ERE and the Romano-British are both fun factions (they're Roman), but I like Romano-British slightly better because I'd rather start with a small territory and build an empire from the ground up, as opposed to defending an already huge empire.
    WARNING! This baseline signature should never appear on screen!

Member Member Bartholemew-Varath's Avatar

I cant vote in the poll, so ill just post it here,my favourite faction has to be the Saxons. I can't explain why, they just are. I think its something to do with the fact that they invaded England, but im not entirely sure...

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholemew-Varath
    I cant vote in the poll, so ill just post it here,my favourite faction has to be the Saxons. I can't explain why, they just are. I think its something to do with the fact that they invaded England, but im not entirely sure...
    You canít vote because youíre currently a junior member, only members could vote in polls. Saxons have possibly the best infantry in the game. Although their cavalry and missile does tend to suck a bit.

My favourite faction has to be Eastern Roman Empire. Possibly the best army rooster in the game. Although they boast the better cavalry of the two Roman Empires I often found their heavy Kataphractoi and the other one to be less practical than Samartian Auxilia, requiring Circus Maximus to train. Infantry wise lacking the valuable Auxilia Palatina and Pavatourii, but theyíre able to recruit Eastern archers, which is a big advantage. And Carriage Balista, which is almost like cheating. Strategically thereís no doubt Eastern Roman is the easier faction to play as (compared to the West), far superior in wealth, and more importantly much more politically and religiously stable. Most of the settlements pretty much settles well after building Christian buildings.

Other wise I really like the Franks, superior technology compared against the rest of Barbarian factions and Steppes. Very good army rooster. Western Roman Empire has also got an excellent army rooster, but there starting point is even worse than the Seleucids.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.JC View Post
    You canít vote because youíre currently a junior member, only members could vote in polls. Saxons have possibly the best infantry in the game. Although their cavalry and missile does tend to suck a bit.

My favourite faction has to be Eastern Roman Empire. Possibly the best army rooster in the game. Although they boast the better cavalry of the two Roman Empires I often found their heavy Kataphractoi and the other one to be less practical than Samartian Auxilia, requiring Circus Maximus to train. Infantry wise lacking the valuable Auxilia Palatina and Pavatourii, but theyíre able to recruit Eastern archers, which is a big advantage. And Carriage Balista, which is almost like cheating. Strategically thereís no doubt Eastern Roman is the easier faction to play as (compared to the West), far superior in wealth, and more importantly much more politically and religiously stable. Most of the settlements pretty much settles well after building Christian buildings.

Other wise I really like the Franks, superior technology compared against the rest of Barbarian factions and Steppes. Very good army rooster. Western Roman Empire has also got an excellent army rooster, but there starting point is even worse than the Seleucids.
    I choose the Western Roman Empire, the true Romans, I also prefer to have Rome under my control than "Constantinople". Western= Real Romans :D. But seriously, Once you figure how to fix your starting positions, WRE is really fun. Of course I like being challenged.

The Celts.. Hounds of Cuannen are unstoppable death machines.

Icewolf
    "They shall know the power of thy sword" ManoWar

I guess I like the Saxons, Franks and Romano British the most

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

I would have to say the WRE for two reasons.

1.They are by FAR the most difficulty faction that CA has ever produced. I mean right off the bat youve got to deal with not only money and military issues but POLITICAL and religious ones as well (Only faction were this has EVER been a major issue thourout the entire TW series) Also they are the only faction were usually you need to spend more than one or two turns trying to order everything(usually 5-6 turns).
    2.They are far more realsitically depicted than the ERE ((the ERE should be ALOT more unstable at the start as well due to the fact that they are made up of like 5 different people at that point in history, Greeks(40%), persians(30%), semetic(13%), Egyptians(10%), and Romans(7%), as well as having the Sassanids to deal with.)

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?

I cannot vote in the faction either, but mine is by far the Sarmatians. They were the first faction in BI I ever played, and even though the Huns wiped me out in about ten turns, I still loved them enough to do two more (successful) campaigns with them afterward.

Partly it is because I like played horse archer factions. The other part is that I find the Scythians/Sarmatians to be very fascinating, which adds a certain coolness factor to playing as either.
    There are never enough hours in the days of a Queen, and her nights have too many...

ATW Version 2.5 is now out!

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

The WRE is the most interesting to play.

But, I voted for the Saxons 'cos I'm a thug
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

I too vote WRE. How's this for interesting?

https://s132.photobucket.com/albums/...370Victory.jpg

Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

Revolutionary Member The New Che Guevara's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus.JC View Post
    My favourite faction has to be Eastern Roman Empire. Possibly the best army rooster in the game.
    I can imaghine the hordes of men scared to death by the crowing of the eastern roman rooster.

As for factions, I've played as the huns, and i dont think I like hording... I ended up removing everyone from their homes... I prefer factions that setlle down and thereby get a decent income. I've played as the Sassanids and won the game... I like the use of horse archers, but the weak heavy cavalry and the limited supply of elephants is annoying. I essentially destroyed the Eastern Roman Empire by Sending Elephants down the streets... such fun...
    The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggle. The workers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to gain. Workers of the world, UNITE! - Karl Marx, The Communist Manifesto

Memento mori... Member Nikos_Rouvelas's Avatar

Definately the ERE. Good position and Roster. Plus I'm a sucker for ERE history.
    "Once out of nature I shall never take
    My bodily form from any natural thing,
    But such a form as Grecian goldsmiths make
    Of hammered gold and gold enamelling
    To keep a drowsy Emperor awake;
    Or set upon a golden bough to sing"
    "Sailing to Byzantium" William Butler Yeats

Alemanni. Thye can build excellent archers from the start and are a growth faction. Plus I love their colors.

I used to enjoy the Huns the most (No, it had nothing to do with my name being Attila :p) but I became a bit bored with the Huns, as well as other nomadic groups/hordes such as the Vandals. At first, when I was a newbie to the game, it was great playing with the Huns because you had stacks and stacks of excellent troops, I was extremely excited because in my first game I reached and sacked Rome. However after a bit I noticed just throwing stacks into the fray wasn't very amazing--or skillfull--so I selected the Saxons, who are my favorite faction. The Saxon army is generally well-equiped and I was able to fill the power-vacuum of Rome after their influence in and around Germany began to disintegrate, I had to contest with the Franks and Alemanni though, of whom I would place as my second and third favorites respectively. I generally enjoy Barbarian Invasion as a whole because it is more difficult and really tests experienced Rome: Total War players.

Saxons!

Knight of Fable... Member Mek Simmur al Ragaski's Avatar

I didn't particularly play BI very much, as I thought the idea of running from the Huns was scary enough, without the people running from it running into my territory aswell. Although with some of the comments on here I might give it a go this weekend.

Oh and I voted for Saxons, I liked the Units and I dont particularly like to rely on Archers or Cavalry, a mass of infantry, men on men (joke)
    'It is not anger that drives me to destroy the Egyptian empire, but the promise of gold, a throne, and of all the ruling Pharaoh's concubines in a single night'
    -Me sacking the Egyptian cities...

Definately the Allemanni. Though I do wish they could Horde. I have a habit of trying to migrate them to the East end of the map and it doesn't always work out. :^P

Rampant psychopath Member Olaf Blackeyes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Miles View Post
    I too vote WRE. How's this for interesting?
    https://s132.photobucket.com/albums/...370Victory.jpg
    Done that four times , but GJ

My own personal SLAVE BAND (insert super evil laugh here)
    My balloons:
    My AAR The Story of Souls: A Sweboz AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=109013

Quote Originally Posted by Dayve View Post
    You're fighting against the AI... how do you NOT win?