Thread: How to use Jihads

This is embarrassing...

But I don't know how to employ a jihad. My Turkish campaign, I have built my first jihad ever... only I can't send it anywhere.

What do I have to do?

You can only send jihads to retake provinces that you have lost. So you need to lose a province. I think it also has to be lost to a non-muslim power.

JoBeare

You can send jihads against other muslims, but supposedly only to the provinces you yourself have lost (I've seen some fishy ai jihads). In any case, just lift it up, and the valid target provinces will light up. After that, enjoy.
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

AH, well, that must be it then!

Thanks all!

I could be wrong but I think it might be a province that any muslim faction has lost.

Why should I even build jihads if i only can launch them on provinces ive lost. I mean the men in a crusade deserting every year. Dont they do that in a Jihad???

------------------
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.
    There I see my father.
    There I see my mother, my sisters and brothers.
    There I see my line of ancestors back to the beginning.
    They call on me and ask me to take my place with them in the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever.

TheViking a.k.a AggonyViking a.k.a FearTheViking a.k.a WildboarViking

To get a few units that you wouldn't be able to build yet, and then attack with a a jihad and a regular army, for example. You can't really rely on recruiting as you do in crusades, but it can enable you to, e.g., get heavy janissaries or nizaris early on. But I don't find jihads to be very useful, since I do my best not to lose provinces because of the stone age effect. However, if you lose the province in rebellion, you may use jihad to add an extra punch to your attack.

[This message has been edited by hrvojej (edited 10-16-2002).]
    Some people get by with a little understanding
    Some people get by with a whole lot more - A. Eldritch

Quote Originally posted by TheViking:
    Why should I even build jihads if i only can launch them on provinces ive lost. I mean the men in a crusade deserting every year. Dont they do that in a Jihad???
    [/QUOTE]

Simple answer. Free units and you don't even need the buildings.

After a Jihad I usually sort through the surviving units disband those I don't want like peasants and retrain those I want to keep.

I usually keep two Jihad markers on stand-by just in case one of my provinces is taken so I can fire it off straight away.

However, don't add your own units to the Jihad stack unless you want them tied up until the target province is taken.

------------------
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Whimsysmith & Designy Bloke CA Captain Fishpants's Avatar

Jihads can be used as a "passive offence" against other factions.

1) Invade the province you want to take with sufficient forces to drive the defenders back into the castle. You get control of the province.

2) When the (rightful - ha!) owners move to kick you out, retreat.

3) Launch the Jihad at the province you just lost, as it was rightfully yours anyway...

You can, of course, make sure that any province the jihad passes through on its way to the target is suitably prepared by seeding the way with Alims...

MikeB ~ CA
    Gentlemen should exercise caution and wear stout-sided boots when using the Fintry-Kyle Escape Apparatus. Ladies, children, servants and those of a nervous disposition should be strongly encouraged to seek other means of hurried egress.

The formal bit: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

I saw FOUR Jihads launched at the same province in a row.
    I was Byzantine allied to both Turks and Egyptians (I wanted to try an new approach by going into Europe).

The Turks were attacked by the Egyptians in Syria and lost it, then first Jihad. Egyptians retreated and launched their own Jihad ect ect... In the end I saw nothing but Futuwwas, Nizaris, Hashishins, Ghazi and Jannisaries... Quite funny if it hadn't cost me the game. They just retreated when the others Jihad arrived, and eventually allied and kicked my butt with their huge stacks of super units. 400 Byz Inf, 40 kats and 120 Trebz simply can't stop 2200 of those guys.

------------------
    BTW, Danish Crusades are true to history.

You may not care about war, but war cares about you!
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

I do this occasionally:

1) Take a province and force the defender back in to the castle.(See the post above).
    2) Retreat back to my own province.
    3) declare a Jihad from some very high zeal province far in the rear.
    4) retake the contested province the same turn.
    5) Voila, one new high tech army for the price of a Jihad.
    Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences. . . but the other head of science is bad Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it bites - The Tick

It's great when you're during raids. Build a bunch of jihads in high-zeal provinces, then take a big army and go on a long raid through enemy territory. Then you can launch jihads for each province you took, even if you just forced the defenders into the castle and then left! A great way to blitz an enemy without having major troop-building costs.
    Just an old-fashioned cowboy.