Thread: Camillan Hastati hacking and slashing instead of stabbing

Default Camillan Hastati hacking and slashing instead of stabbing

(I've searched and searched the forum now, and really don't think this has been asked anywhere or is in the FAQ!)

I just started up a 1.1 campaign as Romani, and the Camillan era Hastati now seems to use the vanilla RTW hack and slash combat animation instead of the stabbing look that it had in previous EB versions. Polybian Hastati and Principes, along with Cohors Reformata and beyond, all use the stabbing attack motion, so I'm just wondering if this was deliberately changed for an historical reason that I'd be interested to learn about, if something is just terribly wrong with my EB installation (this was just vanilla eb 1.1, no mods installed yet), or this was just overlooked? It isn't a complaint or anything, I'm just wondering.
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

My EB Faction Wallpapers:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=120204

Default Re: Camillan Hastati hacking and slashing instead of stabbing

Remember that they're not using a gladius at this point of time.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    Remember that they're not using a gladius at this point of time.
    That's what I was thinking but wasn't the sword used before the gladius still a short, best used for thrusting in close ranks weapon as well? I was mainly making sure I hadn't just royally screwed up my EB installation, but there also isn't really a lot of easy to find info on Camillan era Hastati out there ;) Thanks!
    Balloons from Andronikos, Frontline1944, HunGeneral, m0r1d1n, Alsatia and skullheadhq

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

Remember these soldiers are FAR from being the stereotypical 'Roman Legionaries' at this point. When we think of Romans, we generally think of the red shield wall, advancing steadily, killing everything infront of them, but these guys are no where near this point yet.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Just because a stab is more efficient in close confines, doesn't mean it's the only stroke legionaries were taught. More to the point, the gladius hispaniesis was as good at the cut as it was the thrust, it was a versatile weapon.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

at this point they used a kind xifos wich is a greek sword
    Last edited by Belisarius12; 04-28-2008 at 17:54.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius
    Just because a stab is more efficient in close confines, doesn't mean it's the only stroke legionaries were taught. More to the point, the gladius hispaniesis was as good at the cut as it was the thrust, it was a versatile weapon.
    Yeah I knew that ;) These guys weren't stabbing at all though, so that made me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by mlc82
    Yeah I knew that ;) These guys weren't stabbing at all though, so that made me wonder.

that animation has a mix of slashing and thrusting attacks...
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mcantu
    that animation has a mix of slashing and thrusting attacks...
    Indeed, I was going to say if you watch them long enough you'll see a range of them.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

After spending way too much time playing EB yesterday, I've seen them both now. I must have just been so horrified at first that something from vanilla RTW had made it's way into my EB installation that I just didn't notice ;) Thanks again to all for the clarification.