Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Default Re: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Well Done with this

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Thanks for following, everyone, and thanks for commenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by paullus
    yep...the AI even did *decently* with what it was given, at least in comparison to what I normally expect from the AI. Beautiful shots too.
    Yeah, the AI behaved quite well, all things being relative. The only things they didn't do well was: 1- Their cavalry looked like it was moving it to flank me and could have easily done so, but stopped and did nothing in stead. 2- Their infantry kept moving forward a little at a time but never engaged me, I had to do it. And 3- They charged their elephants through their own battle line...
    Quote Originally Posted by hrrypttrbst
    Amazing, good battle!!!!!!!And was it a heroic victory or just a clear victory?
    Actually, it was a "Close Defeat". I was never able to catch up to those Syrian Archers and chased them around the map for about ten minutes until the timer ran out and the defender won by default. I then took a small army and auto-calc'd against Pefkolaos twice, getting him to retreat to Nikaia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirurgeon
    MAA that was amazing! A truly Epic chapter. It reminds me of the Roman civil wars. You must have been smiling ear to ear with that fight. Two lines of Sarissa wielding men as far as the eye can see locked onto each other to the death. Truly, a glorious battle.
    I find myself thinking of the Roman civil wars and the east-west split, but I'm trying not to exactly recreate them with another nation. It is indeed nice when the AI behaves and you're able to have an actual sarrisa battle. Too bad I wasn't ever able to deliver the cavalry hammer to the sarrisa anvil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    Arche Phyrros vs Arche Syria?

How long do you think It'll take to reclaim the Empire, and, eventually, reunite all of Alexandros's Empire?

Also, what do the Median Kingdom's Army look like?
    Right now I'm calling them the Pyrrhic Dynasty and the Demetrid Dynasty (after Megas Demetrios)(though it seems like it should be Demetri-id). Once Pyrrhos conquers enough, I intend to restore the name "Arche Makedonia".

I've played about five years and I've lost one territory while gaining about five, so it will be slow to reclaim...

The Medians were fielding mostly Pantodapoi and Pantodapoi Phalangitai when I last fought them. Although, I tore down all of their regional MICs and spawned them L3 factional MICs in all of their towns when I restored all that territory to them. Hopefully, they will have at least some form of eastern army in the future. (Most of their current standing army is "slaves" that spawned when I gave them their towns.)

I remember you're on a slightly outdated build, and that the general skins are of KH's style

Well, just so you know, changing skins is save-game compatible
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

I remember you're on a slightly outdated build, and that the general skins are of KH's style

Well, just so you know, changing skins is save-game compatible
    Yeah, I know. I've thought about doing it before too, but the model was changed to accomodate the variations in different factions. I just haven't cared about the appearance enough to go to the effort...
    I've also considered updating the strat map models, but haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    Yeah, I know. I've thought about doing it before too, but the model was changed to accomodate the variations in different factions. I just haven't cared about the appearance enough to go to the effort...
    I've also considered updating the strat map models, but haven't.
    Well cool, anyway when can we expect a new update
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Well cool, anyway when can we expect a new update

I cross my fingers for tomorrow

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Great chapter Marcus!

Sorry for being late. I just found the time today to read the massive introduction and the first chapter. The battle was really cool and reminded me of the numerous phalanx-battles I fought Makedonia vs. Seleukeia.

I'm glad you continued your AAR and I hope to read more soon.

Thanks, Centurio.

I'll have the next chapter up tommorrow...
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-05-2008 at 08:12.

That's good to hear

Aaaaaaaarghhhh....for me tomorrow is here already

Chapter 53 : Arabian Problems

The Arche Makedonia is torn apart by civil war. Foreign powers begin to recongnize that two seperate powers have taken the place of the one. They realize that while united the Arche Makedonia was undefeatable, torn in two they are weak both internally and externally. For the first time in decades, the Arche Seleukeia becomes the most powerful nation in all of the known world, secure in Persia and winning their war against Gandhara:

While Pyrrhos rebuilds his army that winter, his son defends the Bosphoros and Hellespontos. With no imediate push eastward in Anatolia, the areas loyal to Pyrrhos in the east are isolated and forced to fend for themselves. In Egrisi, Lysippos and his massive force is not even threatened. In Galatia, the Galatians begin increasing the size of their army and are quite secure. Meanwhile in Iuodaia, this poor client kingdom and the Makedonike colonies to the east are completely isolated and powerless:

With a garrison of Syrians and Anatolians, the city of Hierosolyma begins to experience disertion and rioting. Faced with the problem of defense, the Hellenized Phoenician King of Ioudaia begins recruiting spearmen from amongst the Jewish population, something that had never been permitted before in the Arche Makedonia.

East of there, the Delphikos family is forced to defend the Makedonike colonies, centered in the city of Bostra, from Arabian and possible Demetrid agression. Cut off from reinforcements and unable to equip newly trained men, the family is forced to defend the city with what Klerouchoi he has standing. As the desert summer begins to reach its high, an army from the Kingdom of Sab'yn once again reaches the Delphikos doorstep:

Once again, Chrysoloras Delphikos takes command of the army and lines the men up to defend the city. The army of Sab'yn ignores the fact that they are outnumbered and charges forward at full speed:

Their charge proves to be a success, as the Arabians charge through the sarrisa line and start killing the Delphikos' Klerouchoi phalangitai:

Chrysoloras orders his Klerouchoi peltastai to circle around from the flank and attack the enemy rear, but as soon as they move forward they are countered by enemy cavalry:

With the center of the line completely breaking, Chrysoloras orders the flanks of his line to move in and behind to reinforce the newly formed hole:

Facing a second line, though the Arabian attackers are winning they decide to give up the fight, turn, and flee. Chrysoloras gives the order to pursue:

Chasing the enemy from the field, the Delphikos family manages to once again wipe out an Arabian army. Although their losses are small, they are all from amongst the Klerouchoi phalangitai who are vital to the defense of the city and irreplacible:

To the west, Antisthenes Gortynios arrives in Kyrene and is warmly welcomed. The old governor of Kyrene was son-in-law to Demetrios, but the death of his wife Artemidora distances him from the Demetrid branch of the family. That and his respect of Pyrrhos in the African Invasion had pulled him over to the Pyrrhic side, bring all of Lybia with him. Antisthenes Gortynios immediately goes about the business of defending Lybia from Demetrid forces in Aigyptos:

In far off Iberia, Philippos, second-born son of Pyrrhos and heir to the throne, besieges the capital of the Lusotannan tribe at the city of Oxtraca. Attempting to bring the majority of Iberia under Makedonike control quickly, Philippos rushes his war, hoping to finish it and soon join his father in Anatolia:

Other than his arm of Thorakitai, Philippos has with him two similarly sized armies of coastal Iberia allies and mercenaries, as well as sizable garrisons in every Iberian city. Such forces take huge sums of money to maintain and pay wages. A few years prior, the resources of Anatolia and Armenia were enough to support huge standing armies and military forces all across the Arche. With the loss of these regions, the economy of Pyrrhos' Arche is falling apart and the treasury has all but vanished.

From Pella, Pyrrhos has to start making cutbacks. The war in Iberia was vital to the Arche, for it is one of the only resource and silver rich regions in the west and taking control of those resources is a priority. Leaving the standing forces alone in Iberia, Pyrrhos starts making cuts elsewhere. Standing armies of locals or mercenaries all across the western half the Arche Makedonia, who had been on retainer, would have to be removed from the payroll. There are many standing armies that had once had purpose, then were forgotten, and are now no longer needed. There were mercenaries in northern and southern Italia prepared to defend against a Romaioi rebellion, armies in Sikilia who had been trained in case of a counter attack from Kart-Hadast, and heavy defensive forces along all borders, even those of allies. Unable to pay all these men and needing money for his war in the east, Pyrrhos quickly dismisses these locals and mercenaries. Even with this act, however, the economy only balances itself and no profit is seen. Refusing to confiscate property and make enemies of the nobility, Pyrrhos is forced to take out loans from the noble Makedones and acquire debt.

Far from Philippos or Pyrrhos is an odd man, Isidoros Oresteus. Isidoros had already planned and started an invasion of eastern Arabia when the civil war first started. He had taken with him the army of Babylon, originally raised to prove their loyalty to their new masters, they had taken the city of Charax at the end of the campaign in Babylonia. With Elymais secured, as it was at the time of Isidoros' planning, and no need for a standing army in southern Babylonia, Isidoros Oresteus had gathered the Babylonian force and marched it into the desert to confront the Kingdom of Sab'yn. When the civil war began, Isidoros had simply ignored it and continued with his campaign.

Reaching the oasis city of Gerrha, Isidoros and the Babylonians besiege it. And within a year, a few scattered troops cross the desert from Maka and attack them:

Isidoros does not have any desert fighting experience but he is no fool. He and his men take up position on a dune and wait for the enemy to come to them:

His force, heavy in archers, quickly eliminate the bulk of the first force. As the enemy numbers become low, Isidoros orders his cavalry on both flanks to charge forward and wipe out all those who are left:

The enemy quickly fall and the cavalry once again returned to their positions on the flanks. Soon the other forces of the enemy arrive, and unlike the previous army, they are able to reach Isidoros' battle line:

Even though they get to the top of the dune and attack Isidoros' men, they are no match for them and soon flee. Isidoros and the entire cavlary force then quickly rush forward and give chase:

In the pursuit, Nawfim Il Watar falls dead along with all of his men. So the coast of eastern Arabia falls into the hands of Isidoros:

Isidoros quickly establishes control of the city and moves his men south, heading for Maka and to the lands that control the opening of the Persian Gulf. The city of Gerrha and the conquered lands along the coast then default to the Demetrids, although Isidoros Oresteus simply says that he is handing them over to "the Arche Makedonia" when he leaves.

Back in Iberia, the Iberian Confederation once again attacks the city of Emporion. Unable to move their men down to Lusotannia to relieve one of their capitals, they instead attempt to draw Philippos north. Even when he hears news of an invasion in northern Iberia, Philippos does not change his plans. He has faith in the garrison of Emporion and continues his siege of Oxtraca:

South of there, another border is threatened when Numidian forces attack the African city of Ippone. There too there is no army to come to their relief and the garrison is forced to fend for itself:

Even though war still wages on the borders of the Arche Makedonia, the attention of all those within the Arche Makedonia is still focused on the civil war itself. With the defeat of Pefkolaos and the loss of the Syrian army, many in the east begin to think that they are on the loosing side, but most remain loyal to Pefkolaos.

In Armenia, where Bykoli and Pefkolaos had never been able to sure up support, some regions decide that it is time to switch sides. In the north, those living in the central Caucasus mountains and the northern edges of Armenia decide to switch sides. They send messengers to Lysippos in Egrisi and request his assistance and protection. With his army of Pontic Hellenes already moving into Pontos, Lysippos orders his army of steppe cavalry, Armenians, and Medians to move to the city of Mtskheta and defend the region.

Just south of there, there is rioting in Armavir and all across the territory of Hayasdan. Here, however, they do not wish simply to switch sides but rather yearn for independance from either side. In the Lake Van region, the Armenian locals and Thraikioi settlers begin to take up arms and declare the region under their control in support of Pyrrhos.

Finally, in the far south of Armenia, the territory of Sophene expels their Demetrid-friendly garrison and declares the region loyal to Pyrrhos. They send word to Lysippos, but he is unable to send reinforcements to assist the area at this time.

Although news is good in the north for Pyrrhos, south of the area the Delphikos family is forced to abandon Bostra. Under threat of invasion from the Demetrids to the north and continued threat to the south from the Kingdom of Sab'yn, the Delphikos family is forced to abandon their claim to Bostra and falls back to Ioudaia. Since most of their army is Klerouchoi with their homes in the area, very few men choose to follow their generals when the retreat. With the family's withdrawl, the region defaults to Demetrid control:

As this happens, envoys from the Demetrid capital of Demetreia reach southern Arabia and met with the king of Sab'yn. The Sab'yn king recognizes the Demetrid claim to the Arche Makedonia and promises a ceasefire:

Both the Delphikos family and Isidoros Oresteus are outraged by this act. The Delphikos family travels to Hierosolyma and receive assylum from the king, but meanwhile, Isidoros finally chooses his side. Turning his army around, Isidoros marches his Babylonian force back to Babylonia, promising to get revenge on those who betrayed him...

Pyrrhos finally retrains, replenishes, and assembles his army in Makedonia. Leaving the city of Pella in command of his third-born son, Pyrrhos marches east. Pyrrhos' third-born son, Euphrantos is crippled like his father, but besides that doesn't take after him too much [dispite having the "Takes After His Father" trait]. Having been raised in Italia and Africa, Euphrantos is overjoyed to be in a huge city of his own culture. He quickly falls into womanizing and wasting his time and money on pleasures:

Unwilling to cross the Bosphoros, Sotades instead had crossed the Hellespontos and moved against Pergamon. While he besieges that city, his father Pyrrhos moves to the Bosphoros to move against the city of Nikaia where Pefkolaos hides:

The two men and their massive armies finally begin the core of the civil war as the winter hits. Seeing Pyrrhos approaching, Pefkoloas calls for as many reinforcements he can gather from Anatolia. Meanwhile, he sends his advisors and government administrators to Demetreia where he sets up a government for his son. While Pefkoloas leads the war, this government takes control of management of the territories.

Several months after Pyrrhos begins his offensive, that the Demetrids decide to begin their own counter-attack in Sophene and Armenia:

The known world in the winter of 175BC:

Next: Chapter 54 : Philip's War (Part II)

Wow awesome chapter! I hope Phillipos manages to finish his war in Iberia in time to help his father.

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

historical chapter just amazing

Very good. I hope Orestheus eats the dirty buggers up from behind.

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Great chapter! Oresteus could really be useful to you. If he can take Babylon and Seleukeia back, then you'll have the Demetrids pretty much surrounded from all sides.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Thanks for following.

My plan for Philippos is to take Lusotannia and Celtiberia, then halt. Hopefully, the Iberians will have enough forces to defend the region and Philippos can move eastward.

The funny thing about Isidoros Oresteus is that I had originally planned to take Gerrha and Maka, then disband his army, kill him, and hand the territories over to the Demetrids. When they made peace with Saba before I could do that, I saw it as a great roleplaying oppertunity.

cool shot:

nice update.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

Thanks, paullus.

The weird pathfinding in cities without walls leads to the AI actually pushing through my phalanx. I think it is one of the few AI oddities which actually proves useful to them.

Just caught up on this MAA! Looking good and there should be some major tension forthcoming. Excellent job

Chapter 54 : Philip's War (Part II)

The Pyrrhic Dynasty had been suffering from attacks from Numidia, Mauretania, and Iberia, but the Demetrid Dynasty had their own border problems too. The Demetrids had managed to make peace with the Kingdom of Sab'yn and had managed to not provoke any of their other neighbors, however, they were surrounded by those who hated the Arche Makedonia. South of them, Ptolemai VII and his Nubian forces assembled on the weakened border of their old enemy:

In Media and Elymais, the reformed Median Empire was building up their forces and looking north to Armenia, west to Babylonia, and east into Seleukid Persia:

In Anatolia, the Demetids in Pegamon had been besieged by Sotades and now Pyrrhos had pushed east with his rebuilt army and cornered Pefkolaos in Nikaia. Although Pefkolaos had managed to assembled a decent force, almost none of them were professional soldiers:

East of there, the Galatians had begun to move. Taking their entire army, they moved against Demetrid Pontos, where there was a minority of their Galatian brothers:

In Lybia, Antisthenes Gortynios had set up a series of desert forts, beginning at the coast and extending south until the circled Ammonion. Isolated in the desert, supplies and water were short. Due to this, the garrison of each fort had to be small and relatively self sufficient. These garrisons were made up of Hellenic Thorakitai or loyal Aigyptian peltastai:

And near Lake Van, forces of the Demetrids had arrived and surrounded the newly rearmed force of Thaikioi settlers. The Thraikioi took refuge behind a hastily assembled palisade and waited:

Even with a civil war, the center of action for the Pyrrhic Dynasty during this time is centered in Iberia. When the civil war started, the war in Iberia was already well underway. Unable to negotiate peace and seeking the resources of inland Iberia, Pyrrhos ordered his second-born son and heir, Philippos, to remain in Iberia and draw the war to a conclusion. While Pyrrhos marched eastward to Pella to be declared Basileus, his son conquered the Iberian city of Baikor then moved into Turdulia. For a couple years he had waited and established military control over the conquered regions [Type3 governments].

Just as Philippos had moved against Lusotannia, the Iberians attacked the Hellenic city of Emporion. Now, after a short seige, the Iberians decide to attack:

With a ram, siege tower, and many ladders, the Iberians move to take the city by force. As soon as they move forward, the ram is targetted by the men in the towers and is quickly destroyed:

Unable to get through the gateway, the Iberians are forced to scale the walls. Positioning ladders along the length of the western wall, they begin moving up:

Their tower, however, is not as lucking and is set on fire, just to the south:

On the walls, the Hellenes, descendants of colonists, defend their home and fight all those who come over the walls:

The battle on the walls lasts only a short time and the Iberians who climb over the walls are easily defeated. As the second wave of Iberians moves in to attack, the Helenic Hoplitai move outside the city and confront them on open ground:

The Iberian spearmen are no match for the Hoplitai phalanx. The Hellenes surround the last of their enemy and kill them there, before their walls:

The city is easily defended and relieved from the siege:

West of Emporion, Philippos decides to take the city of Oxtraca by force. Oxtraca, capital of the Lusotannan tribe is one of the key cities of the Iberian Confederacy. Although the capital of the Iberian Confederacy had been moved to Numantia, the Lusotannan tribe were one of the founding tribes of the Iberian Confederacy and the contributer of most of the elite infantry for all their wars. The fall of Oxtraca would be a huge blow to the Iberian Confederacy, militarily, economically, as wells as psychologically:

As mid-day approaches, Philippos lines his men up along the eastern wall and moves his towers towards the enemy city:

They approach the walls and the small garrison of elite soldiers throw their javelin as they prepare to fight to defend their city:

Ready for battle, the gates lower and all four Makedonike siege towers open up. Thorakitai rush out and face the city defenders:

The Makedones quickly take a foothold on the wall and push their enemy back:

The Iberians to the south of the gateway soon fall, but elite Iberians hold their ground to the north. Reinforcing the one unit holding them down, more Thorakitai rush in to assist. Soon, the single group of Iberian elites are facing the men from three separate siege towers and are completely surrounded and outnumbered:

While the battle still rages on the walls, Philippos orders his Iberian mercenaries through the captured gateway. On the other side of the walls, they only encounter light infantry and quickly take ground:

Iberian cavalry rush to the gateway to assist in the defense, but the Thorakitai on the walls pelt them with javelin, causing them to retreat:

As the last Iberian elite falls dead on the walls, Philippos orders his army forward and into the city:

The mercenaries move forward first and encounter a group of defenders half way between the walls and the city center:

Outnumbered three to one, these men quickly break and flee.

Slowing marching forward, the mercenaries and Thorakitai spearmen move toward the city center, where the last defenders hide:

While the mercenaries and Thorakitai spearmen draw the attention of the enemy, the Thorakitai swordsmen approach the city center from the rear and the elite Peltastai from the flank:

Surrounding the enemy, Philippos orders all his men to charge forward and finish them off:

The few enemies left standing quickly fall and soon the city does as well:

With the fall of Oxtraca, not only does Philippos take control of a fortress, but completely conquers the Lusotannan tribe. A few nobles escape, but the majority of the tribe and the vast lands they claim fall into the hands of the Arche Makedonia:

Next: Chapter 55 : Death of a Basileus
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-13-2008 at 01:25.

Great Update, I love that line of forts!
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)

Excellent as always MAA

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Great, but the titel of the next chapter somewhat worries me.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Looks like Pyrrhos is going to meet his ancestors. He was old anyway.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-13-2008 at 21:12.

Thank for commenting!

Default Re: AW: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Looks like Pyrrhos is going to meet his ancestors. He was old anyway.
    Not necessarily. Remember Pefkolaos is besieged in Nikaia and he is a Basileus too, of the Demetrids. If the siege is successful, it will be Pefkolaos who dies, not Pyrrhos. Then again, it could be Pyrrhos, but both of them are in danger, one from age and the other from (very likely) death in battle.

Great update!!Ilove it!!

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Just catching up on this. Makedonian Military Discipline in action! Good update MAA! My question is how is the commander of the Babylonian army going to exact his revenge? His armies are outnumbered and outclassed against the Demetrids forces.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Thanks for following.

There are still many Basileou[sp?] alive. I could be refering to Ptolemai VII in Nubia... ...or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman
    Just catching up on this. Makedonian Military Discipline in action! Good update MAA! My question is how is the commander of the Babylonian army going to exact his revenge? His armies are outnumbered and outclassed against the Demetrids forces.
    Well the Babylonians have two advantages. First of all, they have tons of archers. Secondly, the Demetrids are sending all of their armies to Armenia (because of revolts), Anatolia, or southern Aigyptos, thus leaving Babylonia nearly defenseless. (I wish "Media" would take advantage of this weakness, but they don't.)

bump to the next page...
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 02-22-2009 at 21:54.

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast