Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Chapter 55 : Death of a Basileus

Although the Demetid Dynasty and the Pyrrhic Dynasty are two parts of what was once the united Arche Makedonia, they each have their own strengths and weaknesses militarily. The east-west division separated one side or they other from a certain technology or resource, while at the same time the differences of culture and regional forces bring new technology or tactics into use.

The defining characteristic of the Pyrrhic military is chain armor. This armor had been brought eastward by the Galatians to Thraikia and Galatia. In the Arche Makedonia quality chain armor is produced in the western territories or by Galatian smiths. With all the western territories falling into the hands of Pyrrhos and the Galatians swearing loyalty to Makedonia, all quality chain production is cut off from the Demetrids. In the Pyrrhic army chain is used widely by all classes of soldiers, but mostly by the Pezhetairoi and the Thorakitai. The Demetrid Thorakitai instead is forced to adapt to the east and begins to use scale armor or reverts to linothorax.

The Demetrid military, on the other hand, begins to include eastern influences in their military. Aristotelis had always been facinated with the east and Bykoli had continued his dream of warfare in the east. Already with an interest in eastern warfare, the Demetrids are quick to exploit eastern technology and tactics to help fill their gaps. This shows itself in three different ways. First of all, the Demetrids begin recruiting eastern natives into their Pantodapoi phalangitai, as well as hiring natives to fight in their particular traditional way, to make up for their shortage of of Hellenes and Makedones. Secondly, much of their armor and equipment becomes more eastern, most notably the use of scale armor. And finally, the use of eastern tactics in their core forces. These showed themselves most of all in their Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi and Hellenikoi Hippotoxotai, two elite units of mixed men fighting in the ways of the east. [I changed the name of the Baktrian Hippotoxotai and allowed for recruitment in the same areas as the Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi.]

No matter the differences in technologies, this war is to be decided by resources and number of elite soldiers. As the civil war starts, Pyrrhos has more Makedones under his control, but Pefkolaos controls the resources of Anatolia. Kappadokia, and Armenia. To gain the upper hand in resources, Pyrrhos had ordered his son to conquer the resources of Iberia and moves all other standing armies eastward to Anatolia.

For quite some time, neither side had actually fought eachother, but as both sides make their battle plans and move their troops against the other, the fighting began. In Armenia, the Thraikioi, who had been settled in the Van Lake region after the end of the Third Armenian War and the defeat of the Kingdom of Hayasdan, had mobilized and garrisoned themselves in a fort near their homes along the lake shore. The Thraikioi didn't exactly join the side of Pyrrhos but rather fought against the Demetrids. Laying claim to all of Armenia, the Demetrids sent a military force to wipe out this rebel army:

Besieged by their enemy, the Thraikioi sally out of their camp and move to meet them:

This battle gave the Demetrids a chance to try out one of their new cavalry squads of kataphraktoi. These kataphraktoi move forward to confront the Thraikioi to the west of the fort. The Thraikioi counter them by moving forward and throwing their javelin, but they have no effect and simply glance off the heavily armored men:

Their javelin doing nothing, the Thraikioi rush forward to confront the kataphrakoi in melee, but as the move forward they are countered by enemy spearmen who help the kataphraktoi get clear of combat:

On the eastern side of the battle field, the heavy Thraikioi move forward to confront the bulk of the enemy battle line:

As the heavy Thraikioi hold down the Demetrid infanty, the Thraikioi on the western edge of the battle finally manage to break through and confront the kataphraktoi:

The Thraikioi engulf the kataphraktoi and begin cutting through their armor with their large blades:

The kataphraktoi don't stand a chance against the Thraikioi weapons and soon the entire group, including their enemy leader is dead. Confronted with a huge amount of elite troops and now leaderless, the rest of the Demetrid forces in the center break and flee while the Thraikioi give chase:

As the enemy attempts to flee, the Thraikioi cavalry chases down the routers:

Although it is not a fair trial, the first usage of kataphraktoi for the Demetrids turns into a complete defeat. The Thraikioi manage to defend their homes and continue to be a thorn in the side of the Demetrids in Armenia:

Soon after the battle near Lake Van, the Demetrids attempt to capture the client state of Ioudaia by besieging Heirosolyma as well as the Delphikos military camp to the north near Megiddo:

Forced to break from their own besiegement before they can rescue Heirosolyma, the Delphikos family quickly prepares their men and sally out to meet the enemy:

As the first enemy force approaches the fort, the Kretikoi open fire with their arrows and completely wipe them out. When the second Demetrid force arrives to find all their own men dead and confronted by a large force of Kretikoi and Hetairoi, they decide to withdraw rather than fight:

The Delphikos manage to relieve their own siege but must rest and gather supplies before they can rescue Hierosolyma:

Faced with constant war, Eulandros tires of fighting and desires simply to govern a town again. He then places his sons in command of the army:

It is around the same time as the battle in Ioudaia that Pyrrhos and Pefkolaos met eachother on the battlefield for a second time. Pefkoloas had sent his advisors, administers, and son to Demetreia and barricaded himself in Nikaia, where he was gathering an army. Before he could build any substantial force, however, Pyrrhos had arrived with his rebuilt army and besieged the city. When reinforcement seige equiptment arrives to find the city besieged, Pyrrhos moves to wipe it out before it can reach the city or retreat. Pefkolaos takes this oppertunity to sally out of the city and try to catch Pyrrhos unprepared:

Facing only a single group of seige weapons, Pyrrhos sends in his Hetairoi and charges:

These unarmored, poorly equiped men quickly fall dead, but Pyrrhos then notices Pefkoloas' army approaching from the city. Pyrrhos withdraws his Hetairoi behind the battle line and prepares his Pezhetairoi for battle. Pefkolaos sends his cavlary forward, ahead of the rest of his army to meet Pyrrhos:

While one group of cavalry is wiped out in the center by the archers, a second hits the left flank while Pefkolaos personally leads his kataphraktoi in a charge at the right flank:

The Basilikon Agema charges in and confronts the elite kataphraktoi as the right flank Pezhetairoi begins to break formation:

While the Basilkon Agema and Pezhetairoi hold down the Demetrid kataphraktoi and Pefkoloas, Pyrrhos circles his Hetairoi around the right flank. Preoccupied by battle, Pefkoloas doesn't notice this move and Pyrrhos gains the upper hand. Pyrrhos lines up his Hetairoi and orders a charge at full speed, which he personally leads:

The force of the initial charge alone kills half of the kataphraktoi and then Pyrrhos and his Hetairoi completely encircle Pefkolaos and switch to their swords. History records that the crippled 55 year old Pyrrhos and 35 year old Pefkoloas personally duel eachother and Pyrrhos deals the killing blow against his enemy. It is however, more likely that a random Hetairoi was the one to deal the killing blow and the duel is a myth written by a historian who never actually witnessed the battle. Either way, Pefkoloas falls dead and his army desolves into chaos:

Pyrrhos falls back and reestablishes his battle line, expecting the rest of the army to either surrender of fall back to Nikaia. Instead, they hold their ground, though disorganized and devided into many separate groups:

Random groups move forward, seemingly without any any plan or organization:

All of these groups break quickly, but then reform and try again. Seeking a surrender, Pyrrhos once again leads his Hetairoi forward to convince the enemy they have lost:

Once out from behind his line, Pyrrhos is confronted by the remaining cavalry force who fight bravely against Pyrrhos' vastly superior Hetairoi who outnumber them three to one:

The enemy cavalry retreat, but still there is no surrender or retreat. Pyrrhos orders his battle line to defend the hill and returns to a familiar tactic he hasn't used since Italia: superiority though masses of cavalry in quick strikes. Separating his Hetairoi, Pyrrhos charges in at isolated groups:

Meanwhile, the Basilikon Agema moves forward to counter the largest group of enemy men still standing:

On the far side of the battle Pyrrhos charges and breaks groups again...

...and again:

Pyrrhos successfully kills or routes the bulk of the Demetrid army, while the Basilikon Agema charges at the remaining enemy:

At last the remnants of the army finally break and surrender. Pyrrhos has his men collect their dead and march to the city of Nikaia:

Pyrrhos honors Pefkoloas with a grand funerary pyre, with all the rights due to a great leader. He does not, however, send the remains to Aigai but instead has them taken by envoy to Pefkolaos' family in Demetreia. Once in Demetriea, Antigone (wife of Pefkoloas and daughter of Bykoli) and and Euktimenos Idomeneus (4 year old son of Pefkoloas and Basileus of the Demetrids) honor Pefkoloas and place his remains in the tomb of Bykoli, which had been built there only a few years earlier.

The envoy of Pyrrhos also requests the terms on which the Demetrid family will surrender, but he receives none. The Demetrids ridgidly refuse to surrender and insist on continuing this war. The advisors, nobles, and generals of the Demetrids continue to wage the war, insisting that neither the death of Bykoli, Pefkoloas, nor any man will deter them in their claim at the Arche Makedonia. The court of Euktimenos and especially his mother Antigone rule in his stead. Pyrrhos receives nothing and the war continues. However, with the closes Demetrid army on the far side of Kappadokia, it is only a matter of time for Anatolia to become Pyrrhos'.

The known world in the summer of 174BC:

Next: Chapter 56 : The Galatians' War
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-16-2008 at 22:56.

Gotta admit I thought it was going to be Pyrrhos who descended into Hades, but i'm glad I was wrong

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

I see that you still have the Ptolemy alive, how 'bout they sees the opportunity and re-etablishes their kingdom through conquest of Egypt?
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

good chapter and really amazing battles

Whoah, great chapter! (btw who used to be the median kingdom?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ayce
    Whoah, great chapter! (btw who used to be the median kingdom?)
    The armenians Ayce... and yeah it was another great chapter. You sill keep us glued to this thread MAA
    The path is nameless - Lao Tse

I guess I should say good update. However my heart goes out to my Iberians. They put up a good fight against overwhelming odds.
    I didnt see page three so I will say that was some good fighting there MAA. Truly amazing screenshots and I can almost hear the epic music in the background. Keep it up!

Βασιλευς και Αυτοκρατωρ Αρχης Member Centurio Nixalsverdrus's Avatar

Default AW: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Great chapter! I like it epic. I'm a bit astonished by the funarary honours you gave to the dirty usurpator. I would have had him dragged behind a chariot seven times round Nikaia... like in the good ol' days you know... But I'm nasty and unforgiving. Pyrrhos on the other hand is a man of honour.

Btw, I thought the Baktrian Pefkolaos was just somebody who by pure chance resembled the real Pefkolaos optically? Did you bring him over to the other side somehow, or how did you manage that part?

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Great chapter Marcus, keep it up!
    Oh, and Centurio, it's kind of hard to see, but I think he photoshopped in Pefkolaos's name.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Default Re: AW: The Pyrrhic Dynasty : A Makedonian AAR

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I tried to make that battl more epic than it was, the AI actually acted extremely stupid, as reinforcement armies often do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken
    I see that you still have the Ptolemy alive, how 'bout they sees the opportunity and re-etablishes their kingdom through conquest of Egypt?
    In a few chapters, there is a whole lot of content on Ptolemai VII and his young son...
    Quote Originally Posted by Centurio Nixalsverdrus
    Great chapter! I like it epic. I'm a bit astonished by the funarary honours you gave to the dirty usurpator. I would have had him dragged behind a chariot seven times round Nikaia... like in the good ol' days you know... But I'm nasty and unforgiving. Pyrrhos on the other hand is a man of honour.

Btw, I thought the Baktrian Pefkolaos was just somebody who by pure chance resembled the real Pefkolaos optically? Did you bring him over to the other side somehow, or how did you manage that part?
    Pyrrhos was trying to win over some support from the family and friends of Pefkoloas so that he might get a surrender and end the war. The court and especially Pefkoloas' wife, however, would not have peace.

That guy was actually just a random Baktrian general who happened to look like Pefkoloas, just looking the other way. I teleported him over to Thraikia and gave him an army that matched the one that Pefkoloas had had. After that I just let him act as he wanted. (I edited the pictures to include his name.)
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-17-2008 at 21:44.

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

Excellent Update Again MAA! Though I must agree with Centurio Nixalsverdrus on your treatment of Pefkolas (spits as he says the name). Pah! It leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth to say his name. I would've done what Centurio suggested, than i would've sent his head as a nice present to your Galatian allies . The title of the next chapter is making me think that extreme brutality is going to be present. Me like!
    Last edited by Wolfman; 05-18-2008 at 00:58.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Excllent chapter, as always MAA!!! Wonder what the future of the Arche will be...
    ~Maion

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Very nice update. Just got to ask, what are you doing about the Spartans? Such insolence cannot be allowed so close to Makedonian homeland. The Rhodioi too, should be severely punished.
    I´d think now that Pefkolaos is dead at least some cities should go over to Pyrrhus again, especially those in Asia Minor, now largely unprotected.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Thanks for commenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman
    Excellent Update Again MAA! Though I must agree with Centurio Nixalsverdrus on your treatment of Pefkolas (spits as he says the name). Pah! It leaves a disgusting taste in my mouth to say his name. I would've done what Centurio suggested, than i would've sent his head as a nice present to your Galatian allies . The title of the next chapter is making me think that extreme brutality is going to be present. Me like!
    Pyrrhos is just the kind of guy to be gracious to his enemies. He's never exterminated a town or punished a defeated enemy. When he took Roma, the capital of the people who he had waged war with for two decades, he didn't purposely harm anyone. He ever returned the Senate back to power. And even after Neokles had enslaved Kart-Hadast, Pyrrhos took over the town and tried to be kind to the remaining people. If he is kind to these levels of enemies, he would respect a fellow citizen of the Arche Makedonia.

I based his kind behaviour on traits he had when younger. (Though, he is getting a lot of weird old age traits that a dropping every single one of his stats. He used to have five or six command stars, now he's down to two or three. I've decided to just ignore the bad traits and pretend he still has the same stats as a decade ago, though...)
    Quote Originally Posted by General Appo
    Very nice update. Just got to ask, what are you doing about the Spartans? Such insolence cannot be allowed so close to Makedonian homeland. The Rhodioi too, should be severely punished.
    I´d think now that Pefkolaos is dead at least some cities should go over to Pyrrhus again, especially those in Asia Minor, now largely unprotected.
    I had hoped the Spartans would cause more trouble and give me a story, but they've been very quiet. Though, seeing as they aren't a threat, I can wait to deal with them. Rhodos is a bigger problem. Rhodos was my main naval base and it is very important strategically (roleplaying, gameplay wise navies aren't that important). Interestingly enough, the AI is actually been building a fleet at Rhodos...

Chapter 56 : The Galatians' War

When the envoy returned to Pyrrhos to inform him there will be surrender, Pyrrhos realizes that he is in for a very long war. Pyrrhos thus makes plans for the future. First, he plans to ensure the safety of his current holdings by securing his borders and ensuring no further foreign conflicts. Then he'll take all of the forces he can and take control of Anatolia, Pontos, and Kappadokia. With the resources of these regions, he'll be able to restore the strength of the Arche Makedonia as well as restore many of the border forts in the west that were taken down due to shortages of funds. Once the greatness of the Arche Makedonia is fully restored, he'll strike at Syria and cut the head from the snake at Demetreia.

To begin his plan, Pyrrhos sends word to foreign powers that were once hated enemies of the Arche Makedonia, but now are far from lands controlled by Pyrrhos. First he sends word to Ptolemai VII in Nubia and easily gets an agreement to a ceasefire and restored Lybia-Nubia trade:

Then word is sent to Arabia and to the Kingdom of Sab'yn. A ceasefire is achieved but not much more, seeing as the Kingdom of Sab'yn had already allied with the Demetrids:

Pyrrhos himself takes a break from fighting and secures the city of Nikaia, but his son besieges Pergamon while a newly arrived army of Illyrians moves into Bithynia and then moves south:

To the east, in Pontos, another front had been opened. Old Lysippos had moved his force, after being rebuilt in Trapezous, to attack Sinope. The Galatians had moved into Pontos, as well, hoping to unite with some of their brothers who live outside of the Kingdom of Galatia and to fight for Pyrrhos.

Now, while besieging the city of Amaseia, the Galatians are attacked by a small Demetrid army:

While the enemy approach, the Galatians line up in three rows, infantry in the front, followed by the archers, then the cavalry:

The elite spearmen guard the flanks with the swordsmen in the middle, but in the exact center the general, nephew of the Galatian king, deploys his elite heavy swordsmen:

The enemy approach without much order and the archers in the second line open fire on them over the heads of their own soldiers:

When the enemy get near the line, they attempt to get into formation. With the second enemy army in view, the cavalry breaks off to the left flank to get around the back of the enemy:

The Demetrid phlangitai halt for a moment then decide to reorganize their line. While they are between formations, the Galatian general orders the charge and they attack their unorganized enemy:

The unorganized phalangitai are unprepared to fight and choose instead to flee. As they turn to flee, they are confronted by the Galatian heavy cavalry who had circled around their rear.

While the cavalry mop up the retreating enemy, the Galatian swordsmen regroup. The reinforcement army from the city of Amaseia chooses to charge this reformed line and completely ignores the elite spearmen who are still in possition guarding the flank of the archers:

Both the main line and the flank of elite spearmen charge in. The Demetrid reinforcements, like the first army, choose to flee rather than face the Galatians:

The Galatians give chase and follow the Demetrid garrison all the way back to the gates of Amaseia:

The Galatians win an easy victory, but the fail to take the city and return to their siege:

While the Galatians wait, events unfold elsewhere. In Iberia, the Iberian Confederation once again takes advantage of the open front in the north. This time they attack the city of Seguntum and once again Philippos leaves the city garrison to deal with the problem:

South of there, Numidians once again attack the port city of Ippone:

In eastern Arabia, harsh treatment of the locals causes a loyalist uprising in the city of Gerrha. Requesting help from the Kingdom of Sab'yn, the town is reinforced. Quickly, the region is reintegrated into the their kingdom and war breaks out between the Kingdom of Sab'yn and the Demetrids over the region:

A while later, back in Pontos, the Galatians are once again under attack. This time, the Galatians are confronted by the largest Demetrid army that side of Syria:

The Galatians once again line up in the same formation as before and await their enemy. This time, however, they are attacked by ballistae from behind the advancing enemy line:

The Demerid army approaches in a long thin line, but the Galatians allow the light infantry to go around the flanks and concentrate on the heavier enemy infantry in the center:

The Demetrid kataphraktoi charge in at the left flank, and the elite Galatian spearmen hold their ground:

The Galatians have heavy cavalry that could have countered the kataphraktoi, but they are busy on another mission. Avoiding the battle and circling a long way around the whole battlefield, the Galatians cavalry charges the undefended ballistae:

Even without cavalry support, the Galatian spearmen make quick work of the kataphraktoi while the swordsmen wipe out the enemy infantry in the center:

When the light enemy infantry circle around the flank and attack the rear, they expect to make quick work of the Galatian archers, but the archers fight back. The archers charge their attackers and defend the rear of the line with great skill:

Once again the Galatians defeat their enemy. This time, they take the city of Amaseia and gain control over central Pontos:

Rather than peacefully restore central Pontos to Makedonike control under Pyrrhos, the Galatians begin a campaign of terror. The Galatians raid and terrorize the countryside, killing vast numbers of people and enslaving many. The Hellenes, Makedones, and Galatian inhabitants are mostly unharmed, but the natives and Persians of the region are slaughtered. After gaining control through fear, the Galatian king sets up a different one of his nephews as king of the region and enforces Galatian laws [Type4 government].

The act is looked down upon by all those in both side of the Arche Makedonia, but is actually an act of revenge. Several generations back, the Kingdom of Pontos had exterminated vast amounts of the Galatian population during two separate attacks on Galatia and when the Arche Makedonia conquered the Kingdom of Pontos, the Galatians felt they went unpunished. Generations of hatred finally boiled over into the uncontrolled, unordered violence that followed the fall of Amaseia.

Pyrrhos is privately outraged by the violence and perhaps even more so by the installation of a Galatian king. Although he does not say anything publicly, out of fear of loosing the Galatians as allies, Pyrrhos definately changes his mind about the Galatians and his plans for the future of Galatia.

The known world in the summer of 173BC:

Next: Chapter 57 : King of Babylon

Excellent Update again MAA! It never ceases to amaze me how you can revive a dead campaign. It's seems as if Pyrrhus has had it with his Galatian "allies". I can see a Makedonian Type 1 or Type 2 government being instituted in Ankyra in the near future. From the title of the next chapter I guess the commander of the Babylonian Army is going to take back Babylon. Just a question this may be asking to much. Is it possible for you to mod your campaign so that you can recruit babylonian spearmen?

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

It is, actually. You must enable the recruitement of them in EDU (add macedon), then alter the EDB file as to be able to recruit them in your local or regional barrackses. Dunno if this is active or retro-active, though...
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 05-20-2008 at 10:29.
    ~Maion

Beautiful. Though my weak spot for the Galatians still make me wish they were allowed to continued a life in relative freedom. And after all, they did conquer Amaseia, perhaps they deserve to rule it.
    And if Pyrrhus refuses them this right, perhaps some frustrated galatian will decide to end his rule, with force. Mohahhaha!! A suitable end to a great Basileus, killed by Galatians.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Excellent storyline, MAA.

Thanks for the comments.

The Babylonian heavy spearmen are quite easy to mod in. Since they are using the merc slot, all you have to do is add recruitment to the EDB and any faction you want can use them. As long as the unit is preexisting, almost any unit can be modded to your faction while remaining compatible. I have since added them to "macedon," in my campaign.

Only Roma, Galatia, and Ioudaia remain as semi-autonomous client kingdoms of the Arche Makedonia. Because of the cultural (and recruitment) differences, there is no rush to remove their status. If the Galatians don't leave Pontos or if they continue to cause problems, though, there will be troubles for them.
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-21-2008 at 02:39.

Ok thats good. With Those Babylonian spearmen in your army plus some syrian archers it looks like you'll have a truly eastern army.

Ah, Seleukia , they seem to be the only remnant of the "Old" Makedonian Empire.

What does their Military look like, and who is more "Important" to the people, Alexander or Demetrios?
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Quote Originally Posted by Olaf The Great
    Ah, Seleukia , they seem to be the only remnant of the "Old" Makedonian Empire.

What does their Military look like, and who is more "Important" to the people, Alexander or Demetrios?
    The Arche Seleukeia seems to be doing quite well now that they no long have to worry about fightin me. They're pushing back Gandhara and have only been gaining power over the years. Their army is mostly Klerouchoi phalangitai, archers-spearmen, and persian archers, though I haven't looked at many of their armies.

I would say that Demetrios is more important and best loved by the people of the Arche Makedonia. Many people still live who were alive when he ruled, yet enough time has passed for any bad espects of his rule to forgotten and the good aspects enhanced. Alexandros was just too distant and the founder of a nearly completely different empire.

As how I see the Makedones (and not only the Makedones of yours ), they would have been open to recruit just about anybody into their troops, had they been able to fulfill what you fulfilled for them. I'll never understand why they aren't able by default to recruit Thorakitai, which is really only one tiny tiny mental step from Thureophoroi; and why not Babylonian Spearmen, which are an excellent and valuable troop for both defence and AP-attack, when the can recruit Syrian archers? I'm glad you told how to mod those in, and I will use it.

Edit:
    The only sad thing about the civil war is that it's outcome is already so determined. Pyrrhos has the mines, Pyrrhos has the trade, and Pyrrhos has Makedonia - the so-called Demetrids are pretty much dead and FUBAR.
    Last edited by Centurio Nixalsverdrus; 05-21-2008 at 20:31.

When the Galatians sacked Amaseia, did you RP it so far as to sack the old Pontic royal tombs? Purely from gameplay, I'm sure you'd rather keep the law bonus rather than the 10000 mnai (or whatever it is for that building) but it sounds like something the Galatians would do, the way you're playing that army...

As how I see the Makedones (and not only the Makedones of yours ), they would have been open to recruit just about anybody into their troops, had they been able to fulfill what you fulfilled for them. I'll never understand why they aren't able by default to recruit Thorakitai, which is really only one tiny tiny mental step from Thureophoroi; and why not Babylonian Spearmen, which are an excellent and valuable troop for both defence and AP-attack, when the can recruit Syrian archers? I'm glad you told how to mod those in, and I will use it.
    The reason many units are not given to Makedonia is because they historically didn't use them and they are not a standard regional that everyone gets. Since the Seleukids and Makedones have basically the same military system, I've been trying to integrate many Seleukid units that Makedonia lacks into my Makedonike roster. I wish I could use the Pantodapoi Phalangitai and Machomoi Phalangitai, but since they share a model with the Deuteroi Phalangitai I can only have one of the three. Though, I've basically gotten all Seleukid units into my roster, that I can, already...
    Edit:
    The only sad thing about the civil war is that it's outcome is already so determined. Pyrrhos has the mines, Pyrrhos has the trade, and Pyrrhos has Makedonia - the so-called Demetrids are pretty much dead and FUBAR.
    Yeah, I was noticing that too. Right after I started the war I realized it wouldn't be as much of a challenge as I wanted. I think I probably should have given the Demetrids Lybia and Thraikia (especially since the ruling family in the Thraikia was from the Demetrios branch of the family and was amongst those I killed off). Oh well, the Seleukids have done a good job rebuilding themselves and I can get another challenge trying to reunite Alexandros' empire again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhhowell
    When the Galatians sacked Amaseia, did you RP it so far as to sack the old Pontic royal tombs? Purely from gameplay, I'm sure you'd rather keep the law bonus rather than the 10000 mnai (or whatever it is for that building) but it sounds like something the Galatians would do, the way you're playing that army...
    I "enslaved" (exterminated) the city of Amaseia, but I didn't destroy any buildings. I don't like destroying unique buildings since they can't be brought back. It would make good role-playing, but I just can't bring myself to destroy uniques.

have the demetrids built up armies of any size down in Sparta? I'd love to see a knock-down dragout fight down there...you might make sure the Demetrids can recruit decent troops there...Spartans especially. you could also give the baktrian agema recruitment in some western territories, or give them access to the Seleucid uber thorakitai.
    Last edited by paullus; 05-22-2008 at 03:14.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

He, maybe spawning a full stack of Spartan Hoplites would be enough of a challenege, the last great fight of the Spartans.
    I´ve tried to find it, but I´m not sure if the Spartans were allowed to live on and train their kids in the Agoge.
    The Appomination

I made sure that they could recruit Hoplitai in Sparte and I was going to give them move options (such as Spartan Hoplites), but they just sat there and didn't do anything, so I didn't end up doing anything. I could give them Spartan Hoplites, because it fits with my roleplaying. They were I Type4 for a long time and when I integrated all of Hellas, I never did so to Sparta.

I was thinking about resurrecting the super Thorakitai, but they wouldn't fit for the Demetrids, since the Demetrid military lacks chainmail...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    I made sure that they could recruit Hoplitai in Sparte and I was going to give them move options (such as Spartan Hoplites), but they just sat there and didn't do anything, so I didn't end up doing anything. I could give them Spartan Hoplites, because it fits with my roleplaying. They were I Type4 for a long time and when I integrated all of Hellas, I never did so to Sparta.

I was thinking about resurrecting the super Thorakitai, but they wouldn't fit for the Demetrids, since the Demetrid military lacks chainmail...
    Well, I'd assume all the maile goes on the elites(hence cataphracts) so Super-Thorakitai would fit.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast