Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pics and History of your Empire

Default Re: Pics and History of your Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Martok
    @Monk:Interesting! How did that happen in the first place, though? Did you both have larger armies in the beginning of the battle, only to have both sides slaughter each other until only the opposing generals were left?
    yeah there were plenty of men in the beginning. I had a GB, some Templar cavalry and a half stack of HA mercenaries against their army of a massive GB, a selection of spearmen and foot archers and a few HA units. After a drawn out battle with massive losses on each side I repeatedly charged my mass of mercenaries at their general only to find them all dead and so I sent in my general and all the bodyguards ended up dead, leaving those two to battle it out. Closest battle I've ever had

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Four emperors have come and gone on the Eastern Empire's throne in Constantinople and much has changed since the death of Aleksios the Conqueror.

1133 - 1170.
    Here reigned Emperor Ioannis the Brave.

Also called the Conqueror, and the Honorable, Emperor Ioaniss took power upon the death of his father Aleksios. None could dare despute his claim to the throne... well except perhaps the other rival princes. But any doubt as to whether this man truly deserved the crown was soon silenced in the following decade with his campaigns south against the Fatimids.

Predictions of the campaign were said to be nothing but bloody, the emperor's finest telling him that to take Jerusalem would require all the Empire's might... despite this warning Ioannis would hear of nothing else but victory. Despite initial setbecks, the Emperor gathered to him every soldier the local garrison could spare and hit the city in 1140, cutting off the defenders and sacking the city inside of the year. Acre and Kerak would soon follow in turn, needing much less force than was previously predicted. The Fatimids seemed on the verge of defeat.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The emperor pushed on, aided by the strength of the Knight's Templar at his side, he pushed into upper Egypt meeting little resistance and sacking the ancient city of Alexandria. As he pushed south toward Cairo however, he found the Fatimid strength rebuilt. Surprised by their numbers he was forced to retreat back to Alexandria and wait. Unfortunately the occupation of much of the Levant had drained his forces and forced them to turn to garrison duty to prevent local uprisings, it was not until 1146 that he was able to push on Cairo in earnest. The battle of Cairo was particularly bloody, seeing the destruction of the Fatimid forces.. Although Byzantine troops were reportedly so exhausted they were unable to push a single step forward. Cairo lay defenseless, but it was not to be.

It was not until the following year that the Emperor was able to push forward, laying siege to the already battered walls of the great city. The defenders of Cairo were few, and after a drawn out siege the city fell in 1150. The fall marked the beginning of the end for the Fatimid resistance to the Eastern Empire in Egypt. Though they would make attempts on Alexandria, they would never again hold a stronghold in the storied land. Egypt was once more a province of the Roman Empire.

While Ioannis still had to contend with the weakened Fatimids in North Africa and in Lower Egypt he decided that his empire would be better served by opening a second theatre of operations. He chose Italy. Too long had the very cradle from which Rome had grown to an empire been controlled by petty city states. Even now the Italian wars were in full swing and the peninsula was in chaos. What had started as trade disputes between the Sicilians and the Venetians had exploded into all out war. With Venice fighting not only Sicily but the Holy Father, the Pope himself! Genoa was also rumored to be aiding the conflict from the background, providing financial aid to the Papacy.

It was the perfect time to strike, while Sicilian and Papal authorities were concentrating on Venice, Ioannis was about to come knocking on the back door. Meanwhile, his armies in North Africa were hunting down the last strongholds of the Fatimids. By the time Roman troops landed in Italy, the Fatimids had been all but driven from their lands as far as Tripoli. Ioannis was now the true master of the eastern Mediterranean.

Initial skirmishes at both Naples and Bari saw both settlements exchange hands to the Romans with hardly much of a fight. Southern Italy was secured by as soon as 1160 and the gaze of the emperor set upon Sicily shortly after. The island, however, was guarded by some eight thousand men, all marching north to retake their lost provinces. It was to their misfortune then that to greet them along the narrow Italian coast was waiting the armies of the Eastern Empire. Utilizing a new tactic by their standards, the Romans presented a shield wall to the Sicilians in battle after battle. With only militias to their service to back up their powerful knights, the Sicilians found their efforts to batter down the shield wall fruitless. Indeed, upon the lines of the Byzantines the Sicilians were allowed to break, in battle after battle the shield wall prevailed. The southern Italian campaign saw a Byzantine force of almost three thousand reduced to just over eight hundred. However that was enough to press onward. In 1162 Roman forces arrived in mainland Sicily.. and in just three short years both local power bases had been capture.

Resigning to their fate, the Sicilians agreed to yield to the storm. The following year in 1167 the unthinkable happened. The Eastern Empire reclaimed Rome herself from the Papacy. Joyous celebrations erupted throughout Constantinople indeed, when Ioannis heard of his general's success he could only smile for the dream of Aleksios was becoming a reality some thirty years after his death. He expected the Christian forces to rise as one upon the capture of Rome, but it would seem due to the aggressive policies of the Pope in Italy not a single king in Europe seemed to care. One could even say they rejoiced upon t he capture of the eternal city. Three years later, even as the war for Italy progressed, the Emperor passed after spending the final 20 years of his life in the city of Cairo. May he rest well for his glorious conquests!

1170-1172
    Here reigned Emperor Gennesios the Saint.

Who could seek to fill the shoes of Aleksios and Ioannis? Gennesios came to power in 1170, though his reign would be short due to his old age at the time, is impact would be profound. Already great in his piety he found the faith of many Byzantine territories lacking, and set about the building of many (and I do mean.. many) Orthodox churches. The wars in Italy came to a short standstill as the Romans both rebuilt and ferried in fresh armies from their great citadels in Anatolia and Greece.

1172-1180
    Here reigned Emperor Kalliparios
    While neither a battlefield commander nor a great building, Kalliparios was a man who ruled from his capital of Constantinople. Content to never leave it's walls and delve into the Arts and culture of the city while his generals continued their relentless wars in Italy. He was a man who believed in allowing the Generals have their way... although he wasn't without his intrigues.

Byzantine Politics.
    Kalliparios would become known for one thing above all else. When he was crowned Emperor adopted son was named the heir, Prince Zigavinos. However.. Zigavinos had been a treacherous man since he was accepted into the royal family. Having openly defied the last two emperors in public during their reigns, he stood as a man who had few friends and as even less popular man among the masses. To allow him to sit upon the throne could have proven disastrous for the Empire even at its greatest hour. Therefore it was decided he must be forced to exit the stage..

The battle of Bologna, a city in the North of Italy and the final bastion of power for the Papal States in Italy came in 1177. Zigavinos grudgingly accepted his role in support of the left flank of the Byzantine force. What he hadn't truly noticed, however, was that his flank had intentionally been weakened with militia and mercenaries. When the two forces clashed Zigavinos found his wing was in danger of breaking! Bravely he charged into the breach intent upon sealing it. His actions that day would forever be remembered by the Royal court, for while Zigavinos succeeded in halting the Papal troops, and indeed saving the left wing; he was cut down in the attempt. A hero to the common people, his name was used as a rallying cry for further support in the Italian Wars. And with his death a new heir was named, ending whatever problems that may have arisen with the next transition phase.

1179 saw the fall of Bologna and the final city of the Papal States conquered by the Byzantines, now widely regarded as true Romans. The following year a brutal surprise attack upon the Genoese saw the Republic nearly collapse. Diplomats were dispatched and offered a single deal Become a client kingdom and have their Capital back… or die by the sword.

They accepted.

1180-Current.
    Here reigns Emperor Amintas the Conqueror

Having been named heir upon the death of Zigavinos, Amintas proved his worth in the campaigns against northern Italy and Genoa. Not only sacking the city of Genoa but allowing the Genoese to return to their capital just one year later; currently the Emperor campaigns against the Venetians. In a deadly surprise attack in 1181 Roman forces cut off and besieged the only two strongholds the Venetians had left after the long wars against the Papacy. Battered from the Italian wars, Venice is about to fall...

It's good to be the king.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-12-2008 at 01:29.

Where's your head at? Member Galain_Ironhide's Avatar

Nice work Monk! I'm very tempted to buy Kingdoms just so I can play SS.

Keep it up
    - 'Let's finish the game.' - Josiah Gordon "Doc" Scurlock

Read my AAR - BC Kingdom of Jerusalem - For Faith or Greed

Can't wait to see you recreate the entire Roman Empire, at it's peak. Good luck

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

@Elite Ferret: That's nuts! I'm not sure I've ever seen a battle come down to the opposing generals before, not even in the original MTW. A pity we don't have a badge for "most unusual battle".

@Monk: Well done! I shall drink to Amintas' swift completion of the reconquest of Italy. Will the Byzantines initiate a new campaign elsewhere now, or will they stop to consolidate their gains?
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Thanks guys glad you like the updates!

Sorry about the "rushed" feel in the last post, i had 60 turns and 4 emperors to cover so I had to keep it condensed Next one i'll be sure to spend 15 min writing instead of just 10.

@Monk: Well done! I shall drink to Amintas' swift completion of the reconquest of Italy. Will the Byzantines initiate a new campaign elsewhere now, or will they stop to consolidate their gains?
    I've hit the 48 province count in the last pic (i think) and SS's Victory condition for Long is 60 provinces. The great thing about having such a huge empire is after a while you really don't have to consolidate, drop a family member in a recently sacked city and keep on trucking. As long as you've got a few militia in the city and have sacked it, it should be fine (unless its faith is radically different or something). Plus My castles in Greece and now Italy have been replenishing my losses almost as fast as I incure them. The key is establishing a good force rotation (and making 13k a turn doesn't hurt either ) The amazing thing is i've not faced a single revolt despite having 0% orthodox in some provinces for extended periods of time, Antioch being one of these! (though i've come close..)

If you'd like a sneak peak...

Currently the Byzantine Empire finds itself engaged in warfare in three seperate theatres of operation. North Africa, the Middle-East, and Lower Hungary. I broke my alliance with the hungarians so I could seize the former Roman territories they currently control. Once I establish the Danube river as my northern border I'll end the war with them, but I'm bound by my own house rules to take at least four of their southern provinces. In North Africa I opened a front with The emperor himself, the Moors are focused on Spain so rolling up their African provinces should be quite easy (i'm getting very profecient at invading through lightly defended corridors). I did a toggle_fow to see what strength the Moors posses... Not good! They are nearly as powerful militarily as I am.. it's gonna be a tough fight when I meet their forces.

Unfortunately my ally since near the start of the game the Khwarezmian Empire declared a Jihad against me in the Middle-East, and wouldn't you know it every Muslim faction (including the Turks and the Fatimids who I let live) joined... Cairo is the target (again, argh!) and now I face 5 stacks (that's right... five) coming down hard on the city. The Heir to the throne has been entrusted to the city's defense and I'm mobilizing my forces in Kerak and Acre. It's gonna be bloody. I let both the Turks and Fatimids live instead of eliminating them for the sake of adding to my Mongolian buffer zone, as well as providing "barbarians at the gate" feeling for my frontier border.

I should have wiped them out when I had the chance...
    Last edited by Monk; 05-13-2008 at 10:19.

Yikes. Good luck in your defense of Cairo, mate; I suspect you may need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk
    I should have wiped them out when I had the chance...
    You know what they say: Hindsight -- it is a [insert expletive here].

Can't wait

Here follows the accounts of the reign of Amintas the Conqueror, Emperor of the Roman empire during the years of our holy lord 1182-1199

Shortly after Amintas took rule over the Roman empire, acting as Regent for the true heir Prince Aleksios, he found that the empire's strength was great. There was no other in the entire known world who could boast the financial, cultural, productive nor military strength that the great Romans could. Indeed, it was a good time to assume control of the Empire. However due to the recent "parade" of emperors due to old age, the Throne has lost some of the authority it once had in the days of Aleksios and Ioannis, where their word was that of God's!

This small fact, however, would not slow the conquering hero Aminitas, indeed, he quickly set in motion plans to deal with the Venetians, and within the year the long and bloody siege that had been dragging on since 1181 was put to a quick and sudden end. Venice was no more. No sooner did this challenge be met and overcome then another presented itself.

Cairo. The jewel of the Nile river, stormed in 1140 by Emperor Ioannis and used as a seat of power in the middle east for decades. The preachers of Islam stated that this city groaned beneath it's Byzantine occupiers and urged all to rise up and drive the Romans back into the sea. The Muslim word obliged...

Forty-seven years after it's capture the Khwarezmian Empire set the call out to all muslims loyal to the teachings of Islam to take up arms. And be they Fatimid, turk, or Moor they accepted. This would perhaps not have been so bad had Aminitas just recently opened up a new front for the Empire to expand in. Just the year before the empire had seized Sardinia and Corsica from The Moors and was landing troops in North Africa. Aminitas was too far to send aid to Cairo.. he would have to trust that the defenses of the Holy Land could hold.

Prince Aleksios, descendant of the great visonary himself was entrusted to guard the city with his life. The rightful heir to the throne, and now old enough to fight himself, Aleksios knew that if Cairo were allowed to fall the Fatimids may take initiative off the Jihad, many lands could potentially be lost. A call was sent to both Acre and Kerak, the two most advanced citadels the Empire had in the region. Every man who could be armed within two years was to report to Cairo!

Unfortunately the Armies of Islam were fast moving and the first of many waves of the Jihad arrived outside the city walls in 1189, commanded by none other than the forces of the Khwarezmian empire.. Aleksios pulled every soldier he had into the city and waited. Determined to hold out until relief forces could arrive. What he didn't know was that the Fatimids and Turks had sent detachements as well, and they would be arriving very soon. Any relief would have to fight through them. The Khwarezmian Jihad surrounded the city and waited...

The following year they struck, having bided their time long enough they assaulted the walls in 1190; the roman armies had only just now set out from Kerak and were on the way to Cairo. Aleksios was on his own. Even so he drew up his men in a sturdy shield wall, blocking off the main road into the city and daring the holy warriors of Islam to batter it down. As the enemies of rome so love doing, they obliged. The gates grumbled beneath their mighty ram and forth came the Muslims with swords and spears high, hitting the shield wall and forcing the romans backward. The well drilled and diciplined spearmen held the line as best they could, inflicting heavy casualties upon their foe as wave after wave hit the shield wall. Yet eventually it was too much and the shield wall collapsed. For the first time since it's first use in the Italian wars, the shield wall was battered down!

Aleksios fell back to City Square, his entire cavalry detachement behind him as the Muslims advanced down main street, confident in their victory. However the shield wall had done it's work well enough, the men of the Jihad had their ranks ripped apart, and when the powerful kataphractoi cam charging down upon them they could not hope to withstand their force! The Muslim army broke and was driven back front he walls by the actions of Prince Aleksios himself, however his army was in shambles. He prayed the relief forces would arrive soon...

The Armies of Jihad regrouped outside the citywalls in disbelief they had just lost. Victory was theirs, only to be snatched away by the valiant prince! Fortunately a Jihad of this size had men to spare, and the Turks and Fatimids stepped up to the plate to try their hand at the city walls, laying siege in 1191. They would find however that in defeating the initial push for the city Aleksios had done all he needed to, buy time. The relief forces under Isaakios Komnenos arrived just in time to engage the Fatimids before they could properly establish siege lines. It was a curious thing, in that while united by their Jihad the Turks and Fatmids had no love for one another. Should the turks have wished it they could have marched to the Fatimids aid and defeated Isaakios.. instead they stood by and watched as he defeated the Fatimids in detail and then turned to them! Cairo had been saved for the moment and was reinforced. Asaakios rode on the Alexandria to raise more troops for the war as Aleksios held fast in Cairo.

1192. The Cairo Jihad was in full swing as Aminitas campaigned mercilessly in North Africa, scooping up the cities of Al-Mahdiya and Beleb el Anab essentially making the Client Kingdom of Sicily safe from further Moorish wrath. Aminitas pressed forward toward Algiers in search of the Main Moorish force in North Africa which was alluding him thus far. Elsewhere in 1192 Ktenas the Chivalrous was entrusted to lead the Hungarian campaign, a daring ploy to add the territories south of the Danube to the Empire's grip. If the surprise attack worked then the dream of reviving the Roman Empire would be ones step closer.. if it failed The main armies guarding Constantinople would be destroyed.

1193. The plan works! Sofia is quick to fall and Ktenas presses his advantage, moving north determined to advance as fast as he can before running into the main Hungarian force. The fools thought they could leave their flank unprotected against Roman interests. Hah! The following years are a period of uneasy peace in fighting. All armies are advancing in the different theaters of operation. Cairo prepares for the second wave.

The year of 1196 would forever be marked as a year in the history of this rebuilt Roman empire as a time when like no other, the generals of Constantinople were as Roman generals of old. It was a year of heroic deeds and great valor. In Cairo the second siege of the city began only this time it was supported by two stacks of the Khwarezam empire, more than enough to sack the city and still the Fatimids and Moors were on the way! Isaakios issued forth from Alexandria with a rebuilt army intent on relieving Aleksios but the march would take time..

Meanwhile Aminitas at last caught up with the main Moorish force of North Africa. After having seized Algiers the previous year he'd been itching for a real fight, it found him outside the walls of Mellila. An army led by Crown Prince Umar numbering in the thousands cornered Aminitas outside the city, forcing him to lift the siege and turn to face him The two sides clashed in the country side. The great Shield wall presented to the moors stopped their powerful troops and halted their deadly arrows allowing the cavalry to slowly pick at the flanks of the Moors. Finally the Emperor, leading the charge himself cornered and slew the crown prince, causing the Moors to break in a panic. What followed was a terrible rout for the Moors, Mellila fell that year. North Africa was now open to conquest...

During the same months a roman Captain known only as Vasilikos found himself outnumbered and besieged at the Battle of Ragusa. A Hungarian army had slipped around Ktenas and was laying siege to the city. Against all odds the captain held the line, suffering serious casualties but completely breaking the Hungarian force upon the great Citadel walls, yet the good captain would not be the only one defending against the Hungarians.. A two pronged attack had been launched against the Romans focused on Venice and Regusa by the Hungarians. Two huge armies, each numbering at 1700 marched on Venice, in it's defense stood Vartholomaios the Conqueror, hero of the Southern Italian campaigns and the man who was credited to be the true master mind of the wars against the Papacy. In defense of the city, however, all Vartholomais can conjure is a rag-tag assortment of veterans of the Northern Italian wars. Pound for pound they are vastly superior to Hungary, but The Romans are heavily outnumbered.

A stroke of luck appears however, as the Hungarian force is led by Lazzlo Hontpaznan and while a fine general is impatient. He chooses not to wait for his supporting force and attacks Varth's line outside of Venice with his men. Lazzlo's men are a diciplined and professional army, while the Roman forces are a loose collection of militias and troops left over and underpowered after the wars with Genoa and Venice. Though that may be, they are hardened veterans, ones who know how to defend a bridge and that's just where Vartholomaios chooses to draw his lines. The battle becomes as bloody as one can imagine, with nearly the entire hungarian force slain or captured, the day ends seeing Lazzlo completely humiliated by being captured (and later.. executed)

The very same year the second Hungarian force hits Varth's lines and this time the weathered general suffers heavy casualties. Losing over 60% of his men he is able to hold, barely. Perhaps the only thing that saw him and his men through were the great combat experience they had. Venice is safe nevertheless and the Hungarian power base is severely weakened as a result of their defeat outside the city's walls.

Cairo. Isaakios reaches Cairo only to find the Moors and Fatimids supporting the Khwarezmian empire outside the city. While not able to assault the main besieging force directly, Isaakios draws the Moors and fatimids into combat and is once again able to defeat the great hosts while still maintaining a good chunk of combat power. He moves in close to Cairo, intend on relieving the city should an assault come. 1196, the year of heroes (and heroic victories!) ends.

1198, the second assault on the city of Cairo comes and Isaakios uses the chance to slip into the back gate of the city while the Muslims hit the front with everything they have. The streets around the gate house become an absolute bloodbath as two full armies clash for control of the city in the streets, yet the Romans inspired by the news of victory from all over the empire (and their own success) fight with a tenacious spirit. Unwilling to give a single inch without blood and eventually even the Muslim general must yield to this fury! He falls in a failed attempt to punch through the Roman line, his troops flee soon after.

1199. The jihad.. has failed! The might of four empires and countless thousands of men against the Roman empire, and the Romans have triumphed.

1196. Best. Turn. Ever! Didn't edit this gramatically cuz I wanna get this posted before I sleep so there's likely trip ups here and there. Hope you enjoyed!
    Last edited by Monk; 05-14-2008 at 14:46.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

That's me finished my last campaign on M2TW, played as everyone now.

And in perfect timing since my exams finished today so now I've got a summer holiday for Kingdoms and the older TW titles.

I decided to play this game with as much chivalry as possible, and I also set cities to auto-manage without governors to make it a little tougher.

As you can see I had a pretty standard start, but this turned out to be a bizarre campaign for AI expansion. The Pope went Rogue (Cavour would be proud), Milan migrated to Novgorod by the end, and I found the Aztecs much more fun to fight when I couldn't completely overwhelm them like I usually do when I own the whole map and have a bajillion florins. Plus the Timurids actually managed to conquer two places, but then mysteriosly disappeared. Keep a close eye on the mini-map in these pics:

At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Crazy, the pope conquered all of Italy, I've never seen an aggressive papacy in my games. Great Pics. I never have the patience to conquer the whole map. After reading this thread I'm real tempted to try SS 6.1.
    Last edited by G^2; 05-14-2008 at 21:09.
    A mind is its own place, and in itself
    Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.

John Milton

That's some feat CR. Was that all in vanilla? That must have taken some patience!

The only time I've seen the Pope go on a rampage like that was also in my Portugal campaign, that's strange. Does being Portugal make the Pope more likely to attack Milan perhaps?

Oh, and don't forget to do all the BC campaigns as well...

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bloody Infantry
    That's some feat CR. Was that all in vanilla? That must have taken some patience!

The only time I've seen the Pope go on a rampage like that was also in my Portugal campaign, that's strange. Does being Portugal make the Pope more likely to attack Milan perhaps?

Oh, and don't forget to do all the BC campaigns as well...
    I'm just one man!

Tried to buy Kingdoms today but my town is a dump and all its got are cardshops, so it looks like I'll need to go into Glasgow on Saturday.

I helped the Pope in that one though. Milan kept attacking me at Dijon, so I sacked Milan and Genoa and raized every building in them.

Then the Pope seemed to step into both of them once I abandoned them. Strangely Milan was already starting to migrate north by then. I swear I did nothing to send them up to Novgorod. Normally if they lose Milan then they stay around Frankfurt and Metz, I've no idea what they were doing.

And yes it was all in vanilla, or Patch 1.2 if that still counts as vanilla.

I was wrong. The end province limit is 70 for SS, as I hit the 60 mark at the turn of 1200 I found that the diplomacy model in the game had completely broken down, every faction was gunning for me and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. They wanted blood, so I gave them their own... The Muslim factions having all declared war upon me during the Jihad, though their Jihad had failed, continued to pound at the gates. Al Aqaba was besieged and relieved more times than I can count (or care too.) by both Fatimid and Khwarezmian interests. Caffa in the North of the Black Sea, seized in 1203, was besieged so many times by the Turks I swear they could make a map of the surrounding area by memory. Let us also not forget the Ssettlement of Fes; former capital of the moors in North Afric which had fallen to me in 1202. It was besieged by the Moors at least twice in its own right.

Yet still not a single settlement was yielded. Not a single inch of ground given before being stained red. It was a new day for the Roman Empire, a sword day. As the entire world turned against me and factions i'd never even interacted with before attacked as soon as we shared a border, i began to see that with my current infastructure taking western Europe was just not going to be an option. The Aragonese were too powerful (the current powerhouse in West Europe) to defeat while fending off invasions from five fronts (North Africa, The Levant, the Middle-east at Edessa, Caffa in the Black sea, and the Hungarians in Eastern Europe.) so I resigned to push on to the 70 province limit and call it quits.

The AI didn't make it easy. Every single turn was more costly than the last, there were times when settlements were kept from falling to enemy hands by a single and final desperate charge of the Bodyguard cavalry into the disorganized and thinned ranks of the enemy. But not once did my valiant soldiers give up, if I could I'd buy 'em a beer as they did Constantinople proud.

Somewhere in the data file graveyard Aleksios smiles; though the old roman empire may not be reforged in it's entirety a new Roman Empire has found itself. One that perhaps could very well stand the test of time.

Final game map:

There will be no final write up as quite frankly during the final 10 turns I was fighting so many battles each time I hit the "end turn" button that it's kinda all blurred together, and for the fact that by 1207 I actually found myself hating this AI for being so unreasonable (Really? Turn down a 14,000 single payment/2000 tribute for 20 turns for a ceasefire? Seriously?). I had a ton of fun though and hope you guys enjoyed the updates. Though I didn't get to revive the Roman Empire, I'm pretty happy with what i was able to accomplish.

Oh and one last thing: Watching a cavalry charge from soldier eye level while listening to the intro solo on "Go into the water" off the dethalbum? Priceless.
    Last edited by Monk; 05-15-2008 at 14:59.

Great stuff Monk, looking forward to your next campaign already

Why don't you try again with the other Romans?

That was a terrific campaign, Monk; I commend you on your successful resurrection and resurgence of the Roman Empire. Looking forward to your next AAR!

@Caledonian Rhyfelwyr
    : So where exactly is your Portuguese campaign sitting, then? Are you getting ready to move against the Fatamids/Egyptians, or are you still working on the French?

If you do try another one and want a real challenge, try playing as the Shah in the late era, really tense fight for the first 10 turns or so.

@Caledonian Rhyfelwyr: So where exactly is your Portuguese campaign sitting, then? Are you getting ready to move against the Fatamids/Egyptians, or are you still working on the French?
    That's it all done. It was set to short campaign conditions since I was playing chivalrously, and didn't want to do another storming of the world with 4 full stacks come turn 50.

You can see in the last pic its at Turn 211, so I was nearly out of 'official' time anyway.

I had to restrain myself from rampaging across France. As for the eastern Front, that's the Mongols you see there. I fought them a little on a Crusade to Jerusalem, but that's about it.

I'm a little intimidated to post this following Monk and CRs' excellent posts, but here goes.

So here are a couple of screenshots from my current Kingdom of Jerusalem campaign in Broken Crescent. It's pretty fun, KoJ have absolutely lethal heavy cav and pretty tough spearmen, but their archers are pretty much worthless so the large quantities of horse archers the Ayyubids and most other Muslim factions field are a real pain.

My strategy so far has been to take the offensive immediately against the Ayyubids. So I gathered all my starting forces under King Baldwin and laid siege to Gaza on the first turn, and spent all of my starting wealth on troops. On the second turn I took Gaza from the minimal garrison, and marched my second army South under Reynald de Chatillon to lay siege to Aqaba. With the Egyptian frontier secure, I raced King Baldwin North to engage the large Egyptian army marching from Damascus.

It was a tough fight, but in the end my superior spearmen won through against the Saracens', while my heavy smashed through their light axemen without breaking step. The enemy's Northern army destroyed, the way lay open to Damascus.

This is where I discovered that infuriating feature of BC, the fact that whenever you siege a settlement of a certain size, it will automatically spawn hordes of defenders, usually of better quality than the original defenders. However, they were still no match for my armoured spearmen, and Damascus fell the next year.

I used the money from sacking Damascus to raise a second army in the south under Reynald de Chatillon. Whilst King Baldwin marched upon Homs, the last Ayyubid stronghold in the North, Reynald marched towards Qahira and the inevitable showdown with the mighty Salahuddin.

That showdown came the next turn, in the deserts west of Aqaba. The battle was long and bitter under the hot desert sun, but once again the disciplined Frankish spearmen were too much for the Ayyubids, while they could do nothing to stop my heavy cavalry from driving off their own and delivering a crushing blow to the rear. In the rout, the mighty Salahuddin himself was cut down by my spearmen.

However, my army was too weak after the battle to lay siege to Qahira itself; instead I layed siege to Bilbeis, the last Ayyubid castle, since Homs fell to my forces the same turn. Baldwin continued on towards Antioch whilst a third stack was raised with the specific aim of besieging Qahira.

In the North, I decided Antioch was too well defended to fall to a direct assault, so I dug in to starve the defenders out; in the South, Bilbeis fell before Reynald's veterans reinforced by the new reinforcements, leaving the way clear for both stacks to finally besiege the great Ayyubid capital. The next turn, the city was assaulted, the two mighty armies of Jerusalem proving too much for the hurriedly assembled defenders. The war against the Ayyubids was won; all that was left was for my men to mop up the last stronghold at Alexandria.

The eventual sally of Bohemund of Antioch was somewhat of an anticlimax; the chivalrous general led his heavy cavalry in gallant, but foolhardy charge against my spearmen, leaving his otherwise formidable army leaderless and vulnerable to be pinned by my spearmen while once again the knights templar made a crushing charge against the flanks.

Now, at last, my economy was starting to flourish, with Damascus, Antioch, Jerusalem, Qahirah and Alexandria all producing a decent income. With this I was able to at last begin to develop my cities, building many ports and roads and upgrading my castles to produce better troops. I also began planning an expedition against the rebel settlement of Famagusta on Cyprus, whilst my Southern armies marched south to besiege Luxor.

However, Baldwin arrived on Cyprus to find the Romans had beaten him to it; rather than challenge the formidable Roman garrison, he diverted his fleet North for a surprise attack on the Armenians of Cilicia. Already beset by the Turks from the north, they were unprepared for an attack from the south as well; Adana and the Armenian capital quickly fell, and the Armenians sued for peace soon after on favourable terms. With a foothold secured in Anatolia, I was ready to begin a campaign against the Turks to complete the victory conditions.

The Turkish forces, though at first intimidatingly large, proved lightweight; their skirmishers and light axemen are no match for my templars. I soon layed siege to a castle in the center of Anatolia, Sultan Arslan trapped inside.

So the current state of my campaign is this: The Turkish castle has fallen, the Turkish sultan dying in the assault, and King Baldwin stands poised to ravage Antolia with his veterans, while a second crusader army is marching north to aid him. Meanwhile, Reynald de Chatillon has taken Luxor and Aswan, and is continuing south to mount an attack on the Makurians. Another crusader army is being assembled in Palestine, ready to march southwest along the Red Sea coast towards Mecca.

I am not sure where the campaign will take me after the Turks are dealt with; at the moment I am thinking either of concentrating all my forces westwards to overcome the Romans and seize Constantinople, or else striking east towards Baghdad. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Bit of a peculiar trait for a fearsome high-dread general, this.

The current state of my empire.

Also, could someone let me know whether my pics have displayed properly? This is the first time I've tried posting screenshots so not sure if I've done it right.

The Khwarezm Shah after some epic horse archer victories vs the Mongols and the KoJ.

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

How did PoorbloodyInfantry get the characters? They look exactly like the characters in Kingdom of Heaven, do they come naturally in BC? Or is it moded?

I'm playing BC with the 1.05 patch, and I haven't modded it at all so I guess they come like that.

whoah somehow missed his post. They come with BC.

Great stuff PBI, shame the AI doesn't seem to have expanded much. I think it would be more interesting if you went for Contsantinople as the road to Baghdad seems too full of rebels.

I'm thinking along those lines also, partially because once I've defeated the Turks I'll be surrounded by the ERE and won't fancy turning my back on them, and also because Aleppo lies on the road to Baghdad and has a huge stack of armoured horse archers which I really don't fancy fighting.

Hopefully once I'm done with the ERE and maybe the Kypchaks also the Abbasids and Seljuks will be a bit stronger. Also, I am quite tempted by the route along the Red Sea and around the tip of Arabia, since this seems to be the path of least resistance at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Ferret
    whoah somehow missed his post. They come with BC.

Great stuff PBI, shame the AI doesn't seem to have expanded much. I think it would be more interesting if you went for Contsantinople as the road to Baghdad seems too full of rebels.
    Some of the factions seem to have expanded quite a bit, i think it's just the fact that BC has so many rebel territories it makes it not look that way. The Abbasids and the Great Seljuks are always slow in expansion in my games for some strange reason, wouldn't be surprised if they became powerhouses by 1200 though!

Both good posts!

Poor Bloody Infantry: Constantinople, deffinately. Though it's gonna be hard to lock down (it spawns gold cheveron pikemen for god's sake!) it's well worth the cost in digital blood as the path through Anatolia will likely net you a large portion of coastal provinces. With those in hand you can easily control trade and make a fortune to finance your push East.

Elite Ferret: Very nicely done defeating the mongols! What are your current plans for expansion? Looks like you established a client kingdom outside your borders centered around Jerusalem, gonna expand that? Doubt the Fatimids will take kindly to that!
    Last edited by Monk; 05-16-2008 at 13:49.

That small Kingdom was a result of a very fun Jihad. I took an almost full stack of horse archers and won three heroic victories with them (it is the army outside Acre in the pic) and after the assault on Jerusalem with my main army the KoJ had no more family members, so they went kaput.

The bad news is the Turks just declared war on me so I'll likely fight a long war with them slowly edging towards Constantinople. I had hoped to fight the Fatamids and have Turkey neutral in the North but the Turkish Sultan obviously decided that fighting the Byzantines, Venetians and Kievans wasn't enough

I suppose that is what playing on VH does to the diplomacy but I still like to because the AI expands much faster, when I first got 6.0 I played E/E for a test game and by turn 40 only one AI faction had conquered a settlement

edit: and about BC expansion, I guess my viewpoint has been affected by playing too many hotseat games where everyone expands really fast
    Last edited by Ferret; 05-16-2008 at 15:18.

@Poor Bloody Infantry: An excellent AAR, mate! It's certainly a worthy entry -- as much as Monk's and CR's. (Your screenshots showed up just fine, by the way.)

I second the recommendation that you go for Constantinople. In addition to the considerable wealth to be gained by taking the city, it appears to me that it's in a more strategically secure position when compared to Baghdad. Given Baghdad's location, it seems like it would be vulnerable to attack from multiple directions and multiple factions, whereas "Big C's" corner position would likely be much easier to hold onto.

@Elite Ferret: How big are the Turks in your Khwarezmian campaign, by the way? Are they a serious threat, or more of a speed bump?
    Last edited by Martok; 05-16-2008 at 18:16.

Senior Member Senior Member Quintus.JC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poor Bloody Infantry
    I'm playing BC with the 1.05 patch, and I haven't modded it at all so I guess they come like that.
    I guess Balian and Raymond III of Tripoli is there as well, do you get to use the Hospitaller guy? Played by David Thewlis in the film. What about the Muslim party, is that Nasir guy avaliable?

Does King Baldwin die in his twenties in the game?
    Last edited by Quintus.JC; 05-16-2008 at 19:32.

The Turks are currently the second strongest faction, but the majority of their armies are fighting in Turkey itself and I should be able to gobble up a lot of land before they reach me, assuming the fatamids don't attack. Handy thing is my best citadel, one I started with, is right on the border with the Turks so I can send elite troops straight at them.

With the Ayyubids defeated, my empire is fairly secure, and my expansion has settled into three distinct fronts: The Turkish front, led by King Baldwin himself, campaigning against the Turks in central Anatolia; the Nile front, led by Reynald de Chatillon; and the Arabian front, led by Gerard of Sidon.

On the Turkish front, Baldwin immediately confronted the full Turkish stack near Karaman. Expecting a tough battle, I was amazed and delighted to see that the Turks had deployed at the bottom of a deep ravine. My archer auxilia caused heavy casualties firing down from such a great height with impunity, and when the Turks tried to counterattack with their skirmishers, they were driven back down the steep hill by the charge of my Templars. The sight of their skirmishers routing, closely pursued by my cavalry, was enough to rout the remaining Turkish infantry and I drove the mighty army from the field with minimal casualties. It was a pattern which was to be repeated many times over wherever the Turks tried to face me with a captain-led army.

Here my own army surges down the steep mountainside in the foreground. In the distance can be seen the Turks at the bottom of the valley.

With the main Turkish field army destroyed I was free to march on Kayseri and trap the Turkish crown prince within. Meanwhile my second Anatolian army marched through the mountains to the south and layed siege to Konya, once again trapping a full Turkish stack within (with the added benefit that since the town was fully garrisoned, there would be nowhere for the extra defenders to spawn.) Next turn, the Turks attempted to relieve Kayseri and the crown prince led his army out to do battle with mine.

This army proved more formidable than the one at Karaman; after quickly defeating two small reinforcement armies I turned my force to face the Turkish crown prince and his army. The ensuing battle, fought over a ridge in the center of the field, was the sternest test my armies would face in the whole war against the Turks. Their infantry force was larger than mine, and mostly spears, making any frontal charge by the Templars suicide. My infantry was forced to engage the Turkish spears and axemen at the foot of the ridge, superior in quality but at some points outnumbered two or even three times by the opposing Turks. My archer auxilia on the ridge above duelled with the Turkish horse archers; meanwhile my cavalry charges to the flanks were having little effect due to the sheer numbers of the Turks; not enough would be killed in each charge to let my infantry overwhelm them, and due to the presence of their prince they would not break and run.

However, eventually on the right flank, my cavalry superiority began to tell, as the Turkish infantry gradually withered away under the repeated charges. At last the right flank gave way, but this didn't lead to the usual chain rout; however, I could use my victorious infantry to steadily roll up the Turkish army, flanking and destroying units one by one. Finally, the Turkish prince was caught between my cavalry and spearmen and slain, effectively ending the Turkish resistance.

With victory, Kayseri lay open and was seized by my troops. However, it had come at a high price: around a third of my infantry had fallen, but more grievous still was the loss of most of my Templar knights. From now on Baldwin would have to lead the cavalry charges personally.

My archer auxilia rain arrows down upon the Turks below, while my spearmen await the command to attack.

Baldwin charges the enemy rear at the height of the battle.

With his somewhat depleted force Baldwin continued the campaign northwards. Sweeping aside the meagre resistance he layed siege to the new Turkish sultan at Kirsehir. However, the defenders were too numerous for Baldwin to risk his fast-diminishing army in a reckless assault. After all, his own supply situation was perilous, with reinforcements having to make a long trek from the Levant, through Armenian territory. Meanwhile the Turks seemed able to raise new troops at will and in vast numbers. Thus the Turkish front went into a lull as Baldwin settled down to starve out the defenders at Kirsehir and Konya.

On the Nile frontier, Reynald de Chatillon was campaigning against the Makurians, having laided siege to Qasr Ibrim, the gateway to their kingdom. On the second year of the siege, the besiegers were attacked by a Makurian relief force. Coupled with the already-formidable garrison, the Makurian force outnumbered Reynald's by almost three to one. Although it was composed mostly of the light Makurian warbands, still the task facing Reynald was substantial, since he had not only to defeat this huge Makurian force, but to do so with his own army sufficiently intact to continue the campaign; it was a long trek back to the cities of the Levant, so there was no possibility of reinforcement.

The battle was tough, but in the end the heavy armour of the Franks and the Makurians' lack of cavalry was decisive; after routing the Makurian garrison, the crusaders turned and, although already tired from the previous fight, carved through the light infantry of the relief force. Chatillon's losses were heavy, but with the aid of local mercenaries, he would be able to continue the campaign.

After a quick siege of a lightly-defended castle, Chatillon continued up the Nile to besiege the Makurian capital of Dongola. Using the latest catapults recruited from Qahira, he attacked immediately.

Dongola seems to be laid out as an oasis, as seen in the picture. Although I was pleasantly surprised to discover this unique settlement layout, it seems the AI cannot cope with the pathfinding and as a result, the Makurian faction leader began the battle outside the walls, able to be easily cut down by my cavalry. As a result, assaulting the breach made by my catapult was rather easy as the enemy infantry fled before me. Additionally several Makurian units seemed unable to navigate their way to the town center, meaning I was able to win by holding the town center for the required time.

The oasis at Dongola

With the fall of Dongola, the way was open to capture the final Makurian settlement at Meroe. This fell to assault a few turns later, but by now the expedition was severely depleted; I resolved to march it north to retrain, and redeploy on the Anatolian front, whilst a new wave of reinforcements would deal with the remaining rebel settlements in east Africa.

Meanwhile Gerrard of Sidon was campaigning along the Arabian coast. Again, he would be hard to reinforce and minimising casualties was of the utmost importance. However, this proved easy enough against the lightly-defended rebel settlements; a quick assault by the swordsmen would clear the rebel spearmen from the walls, after which my halberdiers would be sent in to deal with the cavalry. The 2H bug seems to have been fixed somewhat and I was pleased to discover that my halberdiers can quickly chew their way through an entire unit of Bedouin camels without loss (sorry Martok!) First Medina, then Mecca and San'a fell in quick succession. Before long Gerrard will have reached the Indian ocean.

By now the long sieges in Anatolia had finally ended. At last Baldwin could proceed to seize Amasia and lay siege to the Turkish castle at Siva, while the secondary army layed siege to Ankara. Both castles had large garrisons, but consisting mostly of cavalry, meaning the walls could be taken easily by assault, leaving the archer auxilia to follow the infantry onto the walls and shoot down upon the Turkish riders with impunity.

With the two Turkish castles taken, the war is all but over. The last two Turkish settlements are under siege and will fall next turn, fulfilling the victory conditions (I am already far past the 20 province limit required - why is it, that whenever I play a short campaign I feel like carrying on to the bitter end long after winning the campaign, while whenever I choose a long campaign, I am bored after 20 regions?) Next will be a quick campaign to finish off the Armenians and secure my supply lines, then I will begin to prepare for the war against the Romans, who I suspect will provide a very different challenge to the factions I have faced so far.

My empire a few turns ago. I have since taken Sana'a, Meroe, Amasia and Siva, while Sinop and the other Turkish settlement are under siege.

Quintus, in answer to your question, Balain and Raymond of Tripoli are indeed represented. I haven't seen the film though so I don't know about the other people you mentioned. As for Baldwin, he is still going strong at 35.
    Last edited by PBI; 05-19-2008 at 02:44.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast