Thread: The Americas--has anyone tried reaching them?

Default The Americas--has anyone tried reaching them?

Prior to the message telling you that they have been discovered that is, at least I assume there is one, I haven't reached that point yet. It's about 1200 in my current English campaign.

Or is there a message? Does the game give any message that the Americas have been discovered automatically (at, say, 1492), or does it display the message whenever YOU the player discover them? I haven't bothered sailing over there as I am currently overwhelmed with my wars in Europe and the politics of the papacy. What would happen if I sailed over there right now, centuries before the historical discovery?

Sorry for my fragmented grammar, I'm in quite a hurry.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Default Re: The Americas--has anyone tried reaching them?

You'll see a message about a New World. Then the mini map will open up to the left.

Although they are pretty cool, don't expect too much. And for the record, I don't recommend bringing artillery as it already takes ages for the ships to get there.

The Americas are around from the beginning of the campaign. There is no message, they are just part of the campaign. They do not appear on the side of the map, they are there from the start of the campaign. So I could go to the Americas in the twelfth century if I wanted to?
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers

You could... IF you could build the proper ships to get there, which you can't until the proper point in history, and even then only if you have a top-level shipwright.

While you can see the Americas if you toggle off FOW using the console, they are not on the map at the beginning of the game.

At the proper point in history, the map will expand westward to show a dark space on the minimap.
    Last edited by Rhedd; 05-02-2008 at 03:32.

I tried to cross over, but I can't. My ships won't go into the Atlantic. I guess I'll have to wait for Columbus--that's a really long time.

When does the campaign end?

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

The game ends in 1530.

You get the "world is round" event in 1400. At that point, you can start building the Naval Dry-Dock if you already have the top shipyard. The Naval Dry-Dock will allow you to build a ship that can cross the Atlantic.

If you sail west from Dublin, you'll hit Cuba and Florida. If you sail west from north Africa, you'll hit Brazil. In between those two areas, there are 3 Central American provinces. But you can only enter from the north by Cuba. Bring at least two good stacks because there are a few Amazon stacks waiting for you.

Bring lots of cavalry. They have none so you have the advantage there. You can hire lots of mercs to replace ground troops or make garrisons. Contrary to what someone said on here, I do bring cannons because I don't want to be caught outside a city by angry Amazon stacks. I rather blast my way in, take my army back out, and then put a native merc stack in to garrison.

Bring priests and merchants too. You want to start converting right away to get the happiness levels up. And there are great trade items in Central America to take advantage of.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

TWFanatic,

Are you in for a treat...your first expedition to the new world is great game play - you'll love it.

I won't give it away but remember to pack your suntan cream, some priests, travellers cheques, plenty of heavy infantry, a cannon or two & your travel guide..take plenty of family members too - it's a long crossing....

Seriously, have fun, my first landing site was on the island that is now Cuba.

Henri
    Arch Bounder & Cad

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

The first few times you fight the Aztecs are great fun. I made all the classic mistakes as well so it was a great challenge. Now I know how to tackle them its pretty easy, but I still love them since they give you some reason to play to the end of your campaigns. Plus I love their cities, you can have troops running across the walls like bridges. Just watch they don't upgrade to Large Cities, since its a bug and they get the Arab style buildings.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Turn 160 for new world "The world is round" msg. Build Naval upgrade get caravels or eq. and start exploring!

Bring more than 1 army unless you want a very long "island hopping" campaign
    Take Fortaleza 1st if you need trade $s for your fight as its a mountain of resource and completely safe from attack.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

But its a long journey from Fortaleza to the tip of Mexico, probably longer than sailing straight from western Europe.

I always take Cuba and then Micosukee to give myself a foothold in the Americas before taking on the Aztecs. If you convert them to castles then they can spawn decent cavalry which are very useful against the Aztecs, just in case your main armies get caught out for some reason.

It can happen, unfortunately. Your full-stack General rebels, the Coyote Priests cause a chain rout, even storms can wipe out half your men if you've just landed on the shore.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Just send one stack of charge cavalry with a general or two and keep enough cash (By this point in the game money should not be a problem) floating around to hire the local mercs for garrisons and sieges. The Americas are pretty disappointing IMHO.