Thread: List of Princesses

Platinum Member Member Anonymous II's Avatar

Default List of Princesses

Hello!

Well, I've always been fascinated by the princesses and how they can be used to mess up your royal bloodline by capturing a foreign general, and then make sure he becomes the faction leader eventually. I thought: "who has the best starting position for this task?" This is why I figured out I'd have a go at a small research project - that of collecting the information about all the starting princesses of the christian factions.

The findings are somewhat less interesting/exciting than I was hoping for...

Anyways... here you go:

BYZANTINE EMPIRE:

Anna Comnenus
    Charm: 3
    Retinue: None
    Traits:
    - Natural Negotiator (+2 charm)
    - Diplomatic Ability (+1 charm)

DENMARK:

Ingrid
    Traits:

ENGLAND:

Cecilia
    Traits:

FRANCE:

Constance
    Charm: 5
    Traits:
    - Head Turner (+2 charm)

HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE:

Agnes
    Traits:

HUNGARY:

Pioska
    Traits:

MILAN:

No princess

POLAND:

Agnes Herman
    Traits:

PORTUGAL:

Maria
    Traits:

RUSSIA:

Antonina
    Traits:

SCOTLAND:

No princess

SICILY:

No princess

SPAIN:

Teresa el Valiente
    Traits:

Urraca el Valiente
    Traits:

Results/conclusions:
    Most factions have identical starting position (except the age), but we find some exceptions:
    - The Italian factions and Scotland don't have any princesses at the beginning. These factions starts out with a disadvantage for this task.
    - Spain has two princesses. This is an advantage as you can be looking for a new future king at two places on the map at once. You could for example send one to Italy and Balkans (where HRE also are), while the other one can head north to France via Scandinavia, and then continue on to The Baltics.
    - France has the winning hand here with the stunning princess who goes by the name of Constance. She really is something, isn't she? Shouldn't take many succesful negotiations for her before she is charming enough to capture a general.

Makedonios Ksanthopoulos Member Privateerkev's Avatar

Default Re: List of Princesses

nice work.

When ever I play England, I make sure to nab Constance for Rufus on turn two.

Knight of the Order of St. John
    Duke of Nicosia

Ice stink there for a ham. Member Mystery Science Torture 3000 Champion, Mini Putt 3 Champion, Super Hacky Sack Champion, Pencak Champion, Sperm Wars Champion, Monkey Diving Champion Yoyoma1910's Avatar
    Yarr me matey. I be livin on the high seas.

Constance: 1st turn send her to gain traderights, 1000 flo, and map info from England (their diplomat is due west in the trees, you should be able to meet him the first turn). Then send her out to meet with the Germans on the other side of Metz (it will take a few turns to get there, and you may want to keep interacting with the Eng. diplomat to try and get spirited princess, but only up to the second rank).

After you have gotten the German's map info and maybe an Alliance for a touch of cash, send her up North to steal Dietrich von Saxony, and maybe interact with the Danish Princess if she's in the area by that point. You might be able to get her around 7 or 8 depending on secret lovers and good diplomacy traits.

My kingdom for a .

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I hate the Secret Lover and Secret Charm retinues, they always muck up my Princesses aftern I go to the trouble of training them up. My record was an 8 charm princess, as the HRE IIRC.

And although Milan don't start with a Princess, they have a daughter in the family tree that becomes one not long in. Fiora Rossi I think.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Agreed, all my princesses all seem to get both Secret Lovers and Obsessed Suitors, and the Snob trait, no matter what I do. It would be nice if secret lovers were deterred by having a high-dread father.

Also, Sicily gets a princess within a few years of the start.

I agree with the two above posts.

It also seems like if they are "born" (read: 16 years old) with a retinue, this sets the standard for the princess' development. All princesses I get who are "born" with "delicate blade" seems to get other positive retinues.

Opposite; if she comes with a negative retinue, she'll most likely develop a lot more of them...

Sicily starts with a Princess that's got 3 Charm. Can't remember her age/name/traits, though.

I like to seduce Papal State generals away. Not because they're that good from standing around in Rome, just for the blasphemous "devil women" angle hehehe

Wouldn't it be a lovely touch to the game to be able to denounce your own princess and burn her at the stake so that your king's dread and authority would increase? I guess stoning would be nicer, after all she is a princess.

How about a related topic - what generals are worth stealing?

Quote Originally Posted by Autumn
    Sicily starts with a Princess that's got 3 Charm. Can't remember her age/name/traits, though.
    Yes, I actually noticed that too. How could I ever miss that?

I think her name is Matilda, and she's 17 with the same stats as the others (minus Constance). It's probably an advantage that she is so young.
    Last edited by Anonymous II; 05-01-2008 at 15:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk
    How about a related topic - what generals are worth stealing?
    I did indeed do some private "research" on this, at least did I check to see where there were generals at the start of the game.

If you want to get some foreign royal blood into your family, here's the short list of available king's sons from the start of the game:

- England: Robert - Caen
    - Holy Roman Empire: Leopold - Vienna
    - Milan: Cristoforo Rossi - Genoa region
    - Poland: Boleslaw Herman - Cracow region
    - Russia: Mikhail - Novgorod region
    - Scotland: Edmund Canmore -Edinburgh region

Other than this, there are a few non-royal generals out there. Most of which (if not all) belongs to Holy Roman Empire and France.

I haven't collected their complete statistics (yet), but if you want a chivalrous general, Edmund Canmore is worth recommending. I think he starts out with 4 helmets of chivalry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constance_of_France

She looks very skinny in her portrait.
    Last edited by Shaka_Khan; 05-02-2008 at 08:18.
    Wooooo!!!

Whats the advantage to marrying a royal as opposed to any other general? When the computer gives you random options for choosing a husband does anyone ever go with one of them, or should the objective always be to steal a competitors general (which i understand tactically makes sense)

Whats so great about Dietrich Von Saxony mentioned above?

Quote Originally Posted by Severus
    Whats the advantage to marrying a royal as opposed to any other general? When the computer gives you random options for choosing a husband does anyone ever go with one of them, or should the objective always be to steal a competitors general (which i understand tactically makes sense)
    I don't think there are any advantages in general to snatch a general who is a member of a royal family, but for roleplay's sake, it's kind of fun to have two factions sharing royal family. ;) Having Edmund Canmore as king of France is cool.

I guess the choosing of a random husband depends on traits, just as with stealing a foreign general. Compared to how difficult it is to steal a good general, I would say chances are greater for getting a random husband that is any good, or even a "Man of the hour" than a foreign one. But then again, you won't get that foreign last name.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk
    Whats so great about Dietrich Von Saxony mentioned above?
    He's not a great general, but at least he has no negative traits. Edmund Canmore is far better than von Saxony. von Saxony has the "Smart" trait which is a good thing, but Maximilian Mandorf has a higher level of this trait ("intelligent"), and he's five years younger. I would rather go for him if I was to take a german general. On the campaign map, there is one that is far younger (only 19) and a "genius" though, and that is Boleslaw Herman of Poland.