Thread: Custom battle, which unit becomes Taisido (general)

Think that says it all. How do you see which one? There is to my knowledge no star around to signal, as in the Campaign.

------------------
    SupremeWannabee
    SupremeWannabee

im sure you can find all the advice you need in the archives but to awnser your question... in multiplayer, the first unit that you purchase becomes your general on the battle field.

------------------
    do you have a comment to make, a question to ask, or a concern about a current fearful ways member? plz feel free to stop by Fearful Ways @ezboard.com

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

THe general is the first unit you choose, s don't pick guns or ashi first, you'll start yourself of with a major liability, whilst you don't want the general to fight unless you have to, it's worth having a powerful unit as an emergency reserve.

On the battle field he'll carry the standard you select if in MP, or a random one in custom battles.

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

What would be the best units to choose? I'm thinking YC because then the Taisho can move around quick and sthrengthen, on the other hand they can get messed up bad in the wrong circumstances. How long is the Taisho's influence range so to speaK?

------------------
    SupremeWannabee
    SupremeWannabee

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

THe best unit I fiond, and most other people so far as I can tell is a Yari Samurai unit with the honour ramped up. Cavalry are too flighty, and have a habit of dying easily, you need your general to be able to holds his own, and not de a unit that does alot of dying. Monks and no Dachi are liabilities because you ahve to throw them into the battle. Yari Sams will look after themselves.

------------------
    It's not a bug, it's a feature
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

Senior Member Senior Member Obake's Avatar

I'm with Cat on this one. I've been using YS as my standard Taisho for quite some time. Usually I'll beef them up to H-3. They are by no means the only unit I use though. If I'm going with a strictly HTH army, I'll use an SA unit as my Taisho. I've even experimented with Cav as Taisho because of their speed, but the cost is just too high in my opinion. I'd rather spend the koku on getting an extra point of honor for one of my fighters.

There are also those who use H-0 Ashi as their Taisho and leave them at the rear of their deployment zone. This is about as cheap as you can get (cost-wise) and also prevents the morale check you would have to go through if your Taisho dies.

I'm not sure what the influence range is for the Taisho, but I'm of the opinion that the higher the honor of your Taisho, the longer your troops will fight before breaking. The same also seems to hold true the closer your Taisho is to the action, with the effects being cumulative. I can't however give you a definite "range" though, sorry.

------------------
    Obake

I warned you, but did you listen? Ohh, no...it's just a harmless little bunny, isn't it?
    Obake

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Yo guys, thanks for the insights on the issue at hand. I will xperiment with range, I do agree that YS seem to be the best all round option. I LOVE THE GAME...It has beaten UT of my top 1 list.

------------------
    SupremeWannabee
    SupremeWannabee

Senior Member Senior Member Krasturak's Avatar

Krasturak usually hides his Taisho in a higher-than-average musket troop. This has the advantage of allowing the Taisho unit to take part in the battle from range, to be useful, but also to have the mobility necessary to escape most non-cavalry enemies.

This has the flaw that it requires a Yari-class unit nearby to protect against cavalry attacks, but Krast's Evil Army usually manages to provide this service to the valuable Taisho ...

Personally, I go for a high honor Naginata unit for my Taisho in MP games. It sslow but if the other player targets it for a surgical strike it is usually tough enough to hold out until help arrives.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

a while back i saw in one of these threads that folks were saying the general, when moved closer to wavering units had no effect on morale of those units. i dont know if this is true or not and someone more informed could possibly clarify this.

lately, i've also seen some of the Fear clan using musket generals and putting them in the front lines. i thought this odd, but someone else said that by doing this it strengthed morale due to your other units being bolstered by seeing a general actually fighting. again, i'm not sure. ask the Fears.

most folks i've seen, including myself, tend to put the general in the rear and protected. so, if yer playing it this way then why spend a ton of koku on an expensive general who isnt fighting? making him some sort of missile unit then makes sense. but that only works if your front lines hold up or you manage to check all flanking attacks. and that pretty much leaves a ya's or ys's as the choice. i dont like ya's due to their initial penalties in honor and morale, so i go with the ys. this also has the benefit of defense against cav flankers since the ys can chew up almost any cav unit...at same or near honor levels.

one other thing i've noticed about your general is that HE and he alone 'seems' to determine how readily you can rally routed units. mind you, i said 'seems'. but i have noticed that if i pump the ys general up to h3 or h4 i often can rally a LOT more frequently and with better results. and this does make sense logically too, so i think it's got a lot to do with it.

and, like someone else mentioned, it seems to add to your overall morale as well.

K.

Great stuff, getting into it. First I played all these large battles, but didn't learn nothin'. Then I read a thread about a guy just starting out very basic (the setup ascribed in the beginning) and now I feel lot more confidence in tactics. Monks and HC aren't the solution, a good general (me that is) is. Learning the very basic guys, the very basic...

------------------
    SupremeWannabee
    SupremeWannabee

Senior Member Senior Member LordTed's Avatar

i use muskets but end up finding an undefended tiasho with some yari cav chasin up his butt. but using a stringer unit is a good idea but its gmae over is he gets kill in a melle

In my experience, (which is limited to SP, you should know) sending your general into battle isn't all that bad, if he's not a crap unit. I've charged my best general(rank 6) into enemy lines as a flanker after he ran out of arrows, and I knew I could do this, because the unit leader is usually one of the last to die, and from my understanding, in MP units don't usually die completely, even if they rout.

[This message has been edited by Alastair (edited 05-11-2001).]
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

yes..i use a musket general 4 many reasons...but i suggest that all players not use one cause i like to keep my atvantages ....j/k....first of all.. you must be an excelent micro-manager to use a musket general...he is a ripe target and people will try and kill him..your timeing must be perfect to keep him alive..but that is part of the reason i have a musket gen..i can use him as bait..yes its true that a musket general will not be able to rally troops that well..but then again my goal is not to be routed in the 1st place..as far as increasing the moral of your army by seeing their general out front and fighting..i dont think it does but it might, it does make sense. now one thing that is for sure is that your general radiates moral..that is, the closer troops are to him the higher bonus they get. keeping him in the back of the map or out of site is foolish....there are more reason i use a teppo general but these are enough 4 now so in conclusion....if you are new to the game or have a slow pc you should choose ys...much more room 4 error and he will stand up in h2h if you get suprised...btw....i do have a question to ask of my own..in the campain your general will not give a bonus to his army unless he has reached h3..is this true in mp also???

------------------
    do you have a comment to make, a question to ask, or a concern about a current fearful ways member? plz feel free to stop by Fearful Ways @ezboard.com

In SP, a general gives an honor bonus once he reaches rank two, but since in MP generals don't have rank, it doesn't matter except for rallying troops.
    My motto: Be sharp, not
    well-rounded.

I guess this goes to prove how rich the game really is and what an xperience it offers. I started a very simple thread, and look at it!

Thanx!
    I samle the wisdom folks, oh yes I do...

------------------
    SupremeWannabee
    SupremeWannabee