Thread: academic buildings

Default academic buildings

Ever since 1.1 came out, I've been playing Romani and
    concentrating on securing Italy/Sicily. Only recently have
    I been checking out the infrastructure other than military, economy,
    and public order buildings.

So to make a long story short, my faction has a very high illiteracy rate.

I was reading the info page on academy and there wasn't a highlight
    on its immediate effects. In other mods I have seen effects such as
    "public order due to law". I've also seen other effects such as certain
    ancillary types hooking up with your generals/governors.

But this is EB, and I wanted to know what academy does here.
    I did read the long info page, and it seems like you'll still get more
    ancillaries for your characters, and maybe more scrolls (better management)
    for a city that has one. Is there anything else? Do family members
    growing up in that city have more stars/scrolls/wreaths when they come of age?

And, what motivations would you have in upgrading an academy
    (I'm not even sure if it's upgradable, so this question might be moot).
    Last edited by spqr_arcani; 05-02-2008 at 19:05.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: academic buildings

In EB, academic buildings give good traits and ancillaries to family members / generals that are in the town.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    In EB, academic buildings give good traits and ancillaries to family members / generals that are in the town.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Somehow I was under the impression there was more benefits.

So, as to my question on upgrades to an academy:
    Are there no academy upgrades therefore my question is meaningless?
    OR
    Academy upgrades simply provide more/better traits and ancillaries to family members?

Quote Originally Posted by spqr_arcani
    Thanks for clarifying.
    Somehow I was under the impression there was more benefits.

So, as to my question on upgrades to an academy:
    Are there no academy upgrades therefore my question is meaningless?
    OR
    Academy upgrades simply provide more/better traits and ancillaries to family members?
    From my experience , i always have one city with as high as i can educational system built(no matter which culture(faction) i play)

I send all new young FM's there for 2-4 years after they come to age, and even some older ones (20-24).

They all(well almost all) end up with great traits.Those " educated" FM's can increase your city income by double after that(because of good traits) , when you place them as governors and they are more prone to gain good military traits in battles.
    Last edited by mlp071; 05-03-2008 at 00:56.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Traits and ancillaries are basically all they do. Academies are needed for a few things, like other buildings, though. I believe one level of the Greek Gymnasium building tree requires a certain level of academic building.

I personally will always mod in a 5% law bonus to every level of academy (for myself and in my minimod). This gives an extra incentive to build them for myself and makes the AI actually want to build them.

Quote Originally Posted by mlp071
    From my experience , i always have one city with as high as i can educational system built(no matter which culture(faction) i play)

I send all new young FM's there for 2-4 years after they come to age, and even some older ones (20-24).
    Im glad to hear at least one other person does this too! I have a question on this though now that the subject has come up. Do older characters also benefit from education in EB? Supposedly in real life its easier to learn when you are younger and from my experience this does seem to be reflected in the game as well. This has led me to putting guys aged 16-20 into "full time" education, along with hopefully one sortie vs rebels during that period as being blooded as opposed to green seems to help a lot with getting good traits (just my imagination?). Conversely no-one over the age of 20 is getting educated...

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

i don't send my young to the academy i fear they become chardonnay leftists
    Lies we can believe in

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses
    Im glad to hear at least one other person does this too! I have a question on this though now that the subject has come up. Do older characters also benefit from education in EB? Supposedly in real life its easier to learn when you are younger and from my experience this does seem to be reflected in the game as well. This has led me to putting guys aged 16-20 into "full time" education, along with hopefully one sortie vs rebels during that period as being blooded as opposed to green seems to help a lot with getting good traits (just my imagination?). Conversely no-one over the age of 20 is getting educated...
    I don't send them very often, older ones , only if they got some good traits already(eg. Tutor plus some others). I have a theory that they can influence young FM with additional traits.

So young FM gets education plus that.After that it is easy to see is he going to be career General or Governor (i tend to RP that).
    Last edited by mlp071; 05-03-2008 at 14:38.

The academy has one annoying trait associated with it

Pedantic and Bookish traits.

They suck and are far too frequent, I mean not all people who went to school become "Holier than thou" assholes with weak stomachs.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius