Thread: Massagetae?

With my head in the clouds and my feet on the ground

Default Massagetae?

Just wondering where this people is represented in EB? AFAIK there were three main groups: the Dahae, Palhava and Massagetae. Of course the Dahae and Palhava are obviously well represented with units, but the Massagetae, who are sometimes credited with inventing the cataphract, have no units that I know of.

The answer will probably be one of the "Duuuuhhhh" moments, but I'm asking anyway.

Chairman
    My balloons -

Default Re: Massagetae?

Quote Originally Posted by chairman
    Just wondering where this people is represented in EB? AFAIK there were three main groups: the Dahae, Palhava and Massagetae. Of course the Dahae and Palhava are obviously well represented with units, but the Massagetae, who are sometimes credited with inventing the cataphract, have no units that I know of.

The answer will probably be one of the "Duuuuhhhh" moments, but I'm asking anyway.

Chairman
    The Yancai units are Massagetae/Alans.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

bone armor FTW ! oh... sorry... OT
    Last edited by blitzkrieg80; 05-03-2008 at 00:52.
    HWT !
    Vesall ertu innar skjaldborgar! Your shieldwall is pathetic! -Bǫvar Bjarki [Hrlfs Saga Kraka]
    Wyrd oft nere unfǽgne eorl onne his ellen dah. The course of events often saves the un-fey warrior if his valour is good. -Bēowulf
    Gri eigi hrit bli. Do not get blood on [my] hair. -Sigur Bason to his executioner [lfs Saga Tryggvasonar: Heimskringla]

Wes ū hāl ! Be whole (with luck)!

Lies We Can Belive In Member Barry Soteiro's Avatar

what is bone armor
    Lies we can believe in

Ha ha ha ha,

I slaughtered a massagetae just yesterday..

Beat that Gertrude!

Quote Originally Posted by Gertrude
    what is bone armor
    Armour... Utilizing bone?
    I has two balloons!

Quote Originally Posted by chairman

Chairman
    The Moon-Scythians by this time were in a permanent decline and would later be absorbed into two different direction; As the Yancai or Alanliao (As described in Chinese sources; There is some debate as to if the Yancai were the afamed Aorsi, but we'll leave it to that), and as a tribe wandering around Chorasmia, Soghdia and Margiana-Bactriana, in an area encompassing right between Oxus and Jaxartes we usually call Transoxiana. To quickly illustrate this:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

There is some discussion about whom truly invented the "cataphract"; Some authorities posit that the Massagetae, especially those of Queen Tomyris' fame, were the inventors of this squadron of heavy horse. It has been disputed in favour of Chorasmians who instead adhered to a combined Medean-Scythian model. A fringe proposes Medeans, based on the so-called Iranian-horse vases dated 7th century BCE (Depicting elaborate saddle-cloths and felt armour), while an ever increasing new opinion, basing their views on "heavy cavalry tactics" accredits the conception to the late Achaemenid reforms where Kinsmen cavalry fought in columned formations, heavily armoured and adopting the Macedonian xyston lance. It's really just a matter of defining the "cataphract" (Which really is a horrid term for describing super-heavy cavalry considering its historical usage in contemporary vernacular; Today's nomenclature stinks).

I'll share a secret with you though. We intended to have a Chorasmian heavy cavalry available for EB 1.1, but due to technical problems and lack of satisfaction with the available models, it is due to EB2 instead. The Yancai are otherwise available, though as heavier horse-archers.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - ribarzanes of the Srn-Pahlavn

If you would be show kind to show us the models? I mean EB2 is so far away and the context of your post suggests that the models/skins won't be used anyway.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius

What do you want the models for? The scrapped Chorasmians were merely skins and because of model limitations, the skins are not useful for any purpose whatsoever.

"Fortunate is every man who in purity and truth recognizes valiance and prevents it from becoming bravado" - ribarzanes of the Srn-Pahlavn

Quote Originally Posted by The Persian Cataphract
    What do you want the models for? The scrapped Chorasmians were merely skins and because of model limitations, the skins are not useful for any purpose whatsoever.
    Because I am a very greedy man.

Eh its okay anyway, its not like I have the abilities to use them.
    [COLOR="Black"]Jesus's real name was Inuyasha Yashua!
    Any computer made after 1985 has the storage capacity to house an evil spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    What I'm showing here is that it doesn't matter how well trained or brave you are, no one can resist an elephant charge in the rear

~Fluvius