Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Stele #6: Pergamon

Default Re: Stele #6: Pergamon

Woohoo! It looks cool! Is it me or the hoplitai have sword ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikaïa's tyrannos
    Woohoo! It looks cool! Is it me or the hoplitai have sword ?
    Hoplitai always had swords, called "xiphos" if they were straight and "Kopis" if they were curvy. It was a secondary weapon however that was used when the spears' business end broke. (Although it has been suggested that hoplitai used also the other side of the spear, which most of the times had a bronze tip, as well).

You like EB? Buy CA games.

Yeah! I know they had and used swords swords IRL but in EB1.1 they don t have it as secondary weapon. So seeing those models have it I wonder if hoplitai will have it as secondary weapon in EB2. (the pics being then hidden previews in the preview ).

Yeah! I know they had and used swords swords IRL but in EB1.1 they don t have it as secondary weapon.
    I'm pretty sure they do.

Have you tried alt+attack?
    This space intentionally left blank.

I'm pretty sure they do.

Have you tried alt+attack?
    ... You are frightening me . I use alt+right-click whenever it is interesting (especially with heavy cav and inf with AP weapon) and playing mainly hellenic factions I know that some have both weapons like pheraspidai (or hypaspistai), massaliote hoplite, the babylonian ones and some others but I was sure that the "normal" hoplitai have only spear.

I am full of doubts now (and have to wait a week to be back home to test it )

Didn't we remove their second weapon to be able to keep them in a phalanx formation? It's been a while since I have seen/discussed it, but that *might* be the case. Some weird restriction on the animation that the engine imposes. I may be remembering something else similar though...
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; 05-08-2008 at 14:01.

Really liked the history part

Great preview guys!

WotD 2D graphic Dude Member Gebeleisis's Avatar

looks awsome,just one question
    isnt the "A" on the shield a too modern "A"
    didnt they use the "/\" shape or the "A" from the misthophoroi pezhetaeroi shields?

The /\ is a Lambda, used by the Lakedaimoneans. Not sure on the Alpha though.

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    Didn't we remove their second weapon to be able to keep them in a phalanx formation? It's been a while since I have seen/discussed it, but that *might* be the case. Some weird restriction on the animation that the engine imposes. I may be remembering something else similar though...
    The sword on the hoplit skin is purely 'gfx effect', yes. They can't switch to swords; and AFAIK it's because they ended always up not using their spears at all (charging with swords, getting back to their feet and switching to swords, starting in formation with drawn swords etc. etc.) -- becoming heavy sword-based infantry for all intents and purposes; similar to Hypaspistai.

For similar/the same reasons the secondary weapons have been removed from Iphrikratous Hoplitai; Germanic 'pikemen'; and a number of other units.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

So hoplitai won t have sec weapons in EB2? Though it makes sense as I can t imagine a situation where the sword would be more useful than their spear except as emergency weapons for individuals (not the entire formation). Anyway they look very cool and that is the main point. GO EB TEAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Nikaïa's tyrannos
    So hoplitai won t have sec weapons in EB2? Though it makes sense as I can t imagine a situation where the sword would be more useful than their spear except as emergency weapons for individuals (not the entire formation). Anyway they look very cool and that is the main point. GO EB TEAM!
    Actually In EB II it is possible for hoplitai to have sword as a secondary weapon if the weapon choosing isn't quite as bugged as in RTW. Cavalry changes to their secondary weapons automatically in M2 which is a huge improvement. Deducting from that, hopefully the hoplitai won't be using their swords at all the wrong places like they would do in RTW if they had secondary weapons. But if they do, I'm sure EB team will leave the swords out.
    Call me Ruma. Puupertti Ruma.

Always the best
    CREDO QUIA ABSURDUM

I am SO excited for this mod, and Pergamon seems like a great choice for a new faction. The models for the new units look gorgeous, and I'm very happy (but not, mind you, surprised) to see the EB II team making ample use of the varied unit appearances. I think it's just as, if not MORE, important to have irregular equipment and appearance in the Classical period, and I'm excited to see more.

wow
    Edvard0
    Only the evil will triumph if good men do nothing .
    Edmund . . . .

I was 99% that this faction would be in and i'm delighted by your choice
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My Greatest Victory(VH)

Wow faction previews already! I need to check these forums more often...

Excellent choice of faction, 1 down and 9 more to go. Keep them coming!

MARMOREAM•RELINQUO•QUAM•LATERICIAM•ACCEPI

Quote Originally Posted by CaesarAugustus
    Wow faction previews already! I need to check these forums more often...

Excellent choice of faction, 1 down and 9 more to go. Keep them coming!
    I wonder how many turns it will take for AS to get rid of Pergamon, 5-10 turns probably.

Unless they start as allies and/or Pergamon has a really huge army, AS will be all over them.
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

Combustion Member beatoangelico's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken
    I wonder how many turns it will take for AS to get rid of Pergamon, 5-10 turns probably.

Unless they start as allies and/or Pergamon has a really huge army, AS will be all over them.
    I guess you've never seen what's the situation in asia minor in EB 1 Usually no one gain prominence and every faction survives a long time, sometimes makedonia is kicked out of mainland greece and from mytilene it gets pergamon. Once I've seen these "pergamese antigonids" conquering 3-4 provinces at the expense of AS or Ptolemaioi.

We noticed with Pontos, Pahlava, Hayasdan, Baktria.

Though we have not been able to do much long-term testing, the AI diplomacy does seem more moddable too and we have reason to hope that it will lead to things like the Seleukids staying allied to Pontos for much longer than they currently do, and the same goes for Seleukids and Baktria too.

Awesome job guys!

"I fought with all that I had, but at the end I was left wounded, bloodied, and broken and asking myself, "Why?"."

Though we have not been able to do much long-term testing, the AI diplomacy does seem more moddable too and we have reason to hope that it will lead to things like the Seleukids staying allied to Pontos for much longer than they currently do, and the same goes for Seleukids and Baktria too.
    Does this mean better Levant wars? =D

Quote Originally Posted by beatoangelico
    I guess you've never seen what's the situation in asia minor in EB 1 Usually no one gain prominence and every faction survives a long time, sometimes makedonia is kicked out of mainland greece and from mytilene it gets pergamon. Once I've seen these "pergamese antigonids" conquering 3-4 provinces at the expense of AS or Ptolemaioi.
    In my actual KH campaign they've done it.
    But AS is coming to kick their asses again.
    I will try to give them some support to balance the situation.
    "Iustitia procurat pacem et iniuria bellum, humilia verba sunt nuntii pacis et superba, belli." (Ramon Llull)

In EB 1 (and most RTW mods), its the overhand spear animation that causes problems with the secondary weapon. Underhand spear units can use a sword without a problem....
    Those who would give up essential liberties for a perceived sense of security deserve neither liberty nor security--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by beatoangelico
    :Once I've seen these "pergamese antigonids" conquering 3-4 provinces at the expense of AS or Ptolemaioi.
    Yeah, that happens quite a lot.
    Adding a new faction in western anatolia will probably change this, and bring a whole new dimension to warfare in the Aegean sea.
    The problem might be though, that the Macedonians get beaten in hellas, and have nowhere to run, but get whiped out.
    Well, I guess thats a risk you take, being an ancient monarch...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaertecken
    :Även du skall skåda illavarslande järtecken..
    Jasså?
    Last edited by Mithridates VI Eupator; 05-20-2008 at 11:31.

Wupee! Pergamon. The Überness.
    the great October Revolution will make capitalists - unknown communist later sent to a gulag

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

wait. something caught my attention. why do the hoplitai have swords? are they getting a secondary weapon?
    otherwise again: this is AWESOME!!
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

In EB1 the hopitai have a sword skinned onto them as well; but due to some weird effects in combination with the overhand formation we don't use a secondary weapon for the Hoplites.

In EB2 this remains to be seen; maybe we will re-implement a secondary weapon for hoplites, maybe we will have to stick to a purely skinned sword only.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithridates VI Eupator
    Yeah, that happens quite a lot.
    Adding a new faction in western anatolia will probably change this, and bring a whole new dimension to warfare in the Aegean sea.
    The problem might be though, that the Macedonians get beaten in hellas, and have nowhere to run, but get whiped out.
    Well, I guess thats a risk you take, being an ancient monarch...

That's better I think. It's not historical for the king of Macedonia to lose his heartland and manage to build a kingdom in the east only with forces from Mytilene. If Macedonians lose Macedonia it should be over for them

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast