Thread: Allowing Barbarian factions to build stone walls?

Default Allowing Barbarian factions to build stone walls?

It's too easy to storm into a barbarian settlement so I've thought to allow them to build stone walls. The problem is that my attempts to educate them in the art of base defense has failed. Can anyone help me?

Default Re: Allowing Barbarian factions to build stone walls?

Theres a guide for this in the sciptorium, if you cant find it give me a shout and I'll have a look and paste a link for you

I'm sorry, I have no idea where to look. A link will be greatly appreciated :D

Haha I just had a look through the Sciptorium and couldn't find any guides to this...odd as I'm pretty sure thats where I learnt it from!

So I'lldo my best to talk you through it here!!!!

Step 1: this will allow barbarian cultures to build stone walls (and is the only vital step that has to b done)

Open up export_descr_buildings (found in the data folder) and on the stone wall line add in culture barbarian, example below added bits are in red.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    stone_wall requires factions { carthaginian, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, barbarian, }
    {
    capability
    {
    wall_level 2
    tower_level 1
    gate_defences 1
    gate_strength 1
    }
    construction 3
    cost 1600
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {

Step 2: This step will allow the stone walls to show on the campaign map - not vital but will look nicer

Open up descr_cultures (also found in the data folder) scroll down to the barbarian section and add the bits in red below

culture barbarian
    portrait_mapping barbarian
    rebel_standard_index 1
    {
    village
    {
    normal data/models_strat/residences/barb_village.CAS, settlement_barbarian_level_1
    card data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_village.tga
    }
    town
    {
    normal data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_buildings.CAS, settlement_barbarian_level_2
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_1.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_town_wall_2.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_2

card data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_town.tga
    }
    large_town
    {
    normal data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_buildings.CAS, settlement_barbarian_level_2
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_1.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_large_town_wall_2.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_3
    card data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_large_town.tga
    }
    city
    {
    normal data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_buildings.CAS, settlement_barbarian_level_2
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_1.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    wall data/models_strat/residences/barb_city_wall_2.CAS, settlement_barbarian_walled_level_4
    wall data/models_strat/residences/roman_large_town_wall_3.CAS, settlement_roman_walled_level_3
    card data/ui/barbarian/cities/barbarian_city.tga
    }
    }

Step 3: Adding a building card - Again not vital but looks better

If you dont already have one create a folder called UI in the data folder. Inside the newly created UI folder create another folder called BARBARIAN and inside the BARBARIAN folder create another folder called BUILDINGS.

If you have BI installed goto rtw/BI/data/UI/BARBARIAN/BUILDINGS and copy the 2 tgas relating to stone walls and paste them into your newly created BUILDINGS folder.

If you dont have BI installed then you'll need to use some other factions cards. This is a bit more complex and involves extracting the pak files and I'll direct you to the Sciptorium sub forum on how to do that. But once extracted the principle is the same - find the 2 Roman TGA's for stone walls copy them and past as above then rename them and replace the #ROMAN part of the name with #BARBARIAN (kep the rest)

Step 4 - adding a building description - again not vital but you've gone this far so you may as well go for it!

go into data/text and open export_buildings

Scroll down to the stone wall section and add a description for the barbarian stone walls (I'd just copy and paste from someone elses!) The bits in red below are what you want to replace

{stone_wall} Stone Wall

{stone_wall_desc} WARNING! This baseline description should never appear on screen!

{stone_wall_desc_short} WARNING! This baseline short description should never appear on screen!

{stone_wall_barbarian_desc}
    WARNING! This text should never appear on screen!
    {stone_wall_barbarian_desc_short}
    WARNING! This text should never appear on screen!

And that should be it! Any problems post here and we'll see what we can do.

Two more pieces of advice

1) Always backup files before you stat moddingthem just in case

2) Use the show err command as if you do make a mistake theres a good chance that this will pick it up!

Happy Modding

Mike
    Last edited by Horseman; 05-07-2008 at 12:31.

Thank you so much for your excellent guide! Everything is working perfectly :D

No problem, glad it all works, I always worry that I've forgotten something when I write a guide like that!

WARNING: Modding is extremely addictive, once started it can be hard to stop as you find yourself chaging more and more.

The good news is that there are many good guides locted in the sciptorium and a very friendly modding community here as well so you'll be well suported as you delve deeper and deeper

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

Added to modding answers, thanks Horseman

No problem, I'm only too happy to be able to give something back to the community that has taught me pretty much everything I know about modding.

Though I am sure that there is a guide teaching you how to add stonewalls for barbarians - I must have learnt it from somewhere!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    If you dont have BI installed then you'll need to use some other factions cards. This is a bit more complex and involves extracting the pak files and I'll direct you to the Sciptorium sub forum on how to do that. But once extracted the principle is the same - find the 2 Roman TGA's for stone walls copy them and past as above then rename them and replace the #ROMAN part of the name with #BARBARIAN (kep the rest)
    Mike
    From where do I get the Roman TGA files? From what folder????

Question Re: Allowing Barbarian factions to build stone walls?

Thank you very much guys! It worked for me. But there is for me still a problem. I am making my own big mod (Holland Total War), and I allowed the barbarians to built a large and huge city as well. But when I build a large or epic stone wall on the map, it doesn't show up in the battlemap. Can someone tell me whats wrong?

Well I am here to help you, but I think you don't play it anymore. You need to unpack the pack files in your data/packs folder. There are all unit cards packed together. You can download it from more sites.