Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Working on a bank holiday.

  1. #1
    Member Member PBI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,176

    Angry Working on a bank holiday.

    I'm giving a seminar in half an hour to my fellow PhD students. Not how I would generally choose to spend my bank holiday.

    Stupid work ethic. I think I'll pay the organisers back by making sure I give a really boring seminar. Maybe I'll overrun by half an hour or so just for good measure.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Hate to sound niave but whats a bank holiday?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

  3. #3
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Be sure to sprinkle the phrase:

    "At the end of the day..."

    liberally throughout your presentation. It'll set everyone's teeth on edge.

    edit: probably too late; he wrote: 'half an hour', over an hour ago. The audience should be sound asleep by now

    Bank holiday = gratuitous day-off in UK.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 05-05-2008 at 14:27.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

  4. #4
    Oni Member Samurai Waki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Portland, Ore.
    Posts
    3,925
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    *plays the worlds smallest violin*

  5. #5
    Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    In a hopeless place with no future
    Posts
    8,646

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Working on a bank holiday is just wrong.

    I've got summer holidays in two week though!

    After exams unfortunately...
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

  6. #6
    The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    15,674

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Holiday = time and a half.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

  7. #7
    Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    I live in my home, don't you?
    Posts
    8,114

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Holiday= Saint Day.




    Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

  8. #8
    the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    11,585
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Labour day yesterday
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

  9. #9
    Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,518
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Holiday = time and a half.
    Really?
    Over here time and a half is overtime, saturdays is 2x, and sundays and national holidays is 3x. God bless sunday night shifts: 3x the money and monday off!
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

    Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

  10. #10
    The Usual Member Ice's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Northville, Michigan
    Posts
    4,259

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Really?
    Over here time and a half is overtime, saturdays is 2x, and sundays and national holidays is 3x. God bless sunday night shifts: 3x the money and monday off!
    3x? I'd work 12 hours on Sunday.



  11. #11
    The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    15,674

    Angry Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Really?
    Over here time and a half is overtime, saturdays is 2x, and sundays and national holidays is 3x. God bless sunday night shifts: 3x the money and monday off!
    Not in IT as that is kind of 'expected' and the contracts are written up as such. Mind you when I'm on call I get an extra days pay for the week just for holding onto my phone and not passing out when answering it.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

  12. #12
    Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Norge
    Posts
    6,876

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Not in IT as that is kind of 'expected' and the contracts are written up as such. Mind you when I'm on call I get an extra days pay for the week just for holding onto my phone and not passing out when answering it.
    I guess Pape is somewhat right.
    It is all negotiation, negotiation, negotiation.
    My first IT job didn't pay extra for overtime... well it didn't pay anything as I got a fixed mothly salary.
    Big mistake!!

    In my next and current job I made sure to put into the contract a clause about overtime.
    Basically it states that voluntary overtime only pays the equivalent of an hourly wage and that you can put them into a time bank for later extraction into payment or time off.
    Required overtime pays according to state regulation (+50% from 16:00 to 20:00 on weekdays, +50% all hours saturdays up to 20:00, +100% after 20:00 on weekdays and saturdays and +100% on sundays and holydays. An extra hour mealbreak at 17:00 is paid for by the company).
    Oh... and we work only 37,5 hours a week, overtime for every hour above this.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 05-07-2008 at 13:03.
    Status Emeritus

  13. #13
    Member Member PBI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,176

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Alas, I am a student, and thus not only do I not get paid extra for working holidays, I don't get paid at all. All I got was the rather dubious satisfaction of being able to say smugly to my colleages, "Enjoy your long weekend? Personally, I got tons done" on Tuesday morning.

    For those who are interested, the seminar didn't go too well, only four people turned up. I suppose I learned my lesson about agreeing to work on a bank holiday.

  14. #14
    Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    10,415

    Default Re: Working on a bank holiday.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    I guess Pape is somewhat right.
    It is all negotiation, negotiation, negotiation.
    My first IT job didn't pay extra for overtime... well it didn't pay anything as I got a fixed mothly salary.
    Big mistake!!

    In my next and current job I made sure to put into the contract a clause about overtime.
    Basically it states that voluntary overtime only pays the equivalent of an hourly wage and that you can put them into a time bank for later extraction into payment or time off.
    Required overtime pays according to state regulation (+50% from 16:00 to 20:00 on weekdays, +50% all hours saturdays up to 20:00, +100% after 20:00 on weekdays and saturdays and +100% on sundays and holydays. An extra hour mealbreak at 17:00 is paid for by the company).
    Oh... and we work only 37,5 hours a week, overtime for every hour above this.
    That's a pretty complicated formula, but I agree, it's all about negotiation.

    Here (US, California, union job) the 'standard' is: Five 8-hour days:

    Any hours over 8 per day = +50%,
    and any days over 5 per week = +50%.
    Night shift = +10% for all hours.
    Working any of the 10 federal holidays = +50% all day.

    Non-union jobs often pay no overtime at all.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 05-07-2008 at 14:23.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO