Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Basileus is crazy

Not your friend Member General Appo's Avatar
    As far away from you as possible. Scuzzbucket.

Default The Basileus is crazy

Greetings. This is not as much of an AAR as an experiment by me. I´ve started a Epeirote campaign and I´m doing some crazy stuff, much of which showes up in this AAR. However I´m not so much strictly following the actual happenings in the game as I am inspired by them, sometimes I might change them a bit in the story. I don´t know how long I will keep this up, probably for as long as I feel like continuing this campaign. There might a great shortage in screenshots, mostly because I suck at them, but I´ll try to get in some.
    Anyway, I´m role-playing that Pyrrhus is totally crazy, and at least one of his sons as well. I might cheat a bit sometimes, either for me or for the AI, depending on what the situation demands. This is one of my first attempts at an AAR, and not to be taken seriously. As I said, I´m just experimenting a bit. Also, keep in mind that I wrote this in about 30 minutes and had indeed no intention to write an AAR when I started writing, it just happened. Anyway.

In the year later to be known as 272 BC, Pyrrhus of Epirus stands with a great army unthreatened outside the capital of his arch enemy, the vile Makedonians. But instead of once and for all destroying this menace to all the world, Pyrrhus makes a public declaration that he cannot leave a war half-finished. Needless to say this has every man west of the Tigris rolling on the floor with laughter.
    Anyway, Pyrrhus quickly sent messengers to the Romani, and promises them the city´s of Magna Graecia in return for that the Romans makes peace with him and let merchants from Pyrrhus domains enter their harbours again. The Romans happily accept, but are a tiny bit dissapointed when it shows that about half of the city´s of Magna Graecia weren´t actually Pyrrhus to give, as they were controlled by those awful Roman deserters in Rhegion. When the Romans protest and claim Pyrrhus didn´t uphold his end of the bargain, he simply points out that since the men in Rhegion were dressed, spoke and acted like Romans he assumed they were in fact Romans, and that it is now the Romans problem. Still disgruntled, the Romans accepted this explanation.
    While this was happening Pyrrhus had gathered all his forces, even the town garrisons, on a few ships laying in the harbour of Ambrakia. He then sets sail for the great city of Syrakousai. After a few peaceful months at sea they reach their destination, and surrounds the city. His old general Hiero, now ruler of the city, is taken by complete surprise, but after a quick debate with the locals decides that the great stone walls of Syrakousai should be able to withstand anny assault from Pyrrhus army, and so refuses to open the gates for him. Pyrrhus is enraged, but extremely lucky as well. For there are some in the city who do not agree with Hiero´s way of goverment, and would rather see Pyrrhus regain control of the city. These men contact Pyrrhus and promises to sabotage the eastern and northern gate in return for a hefty reward. Pyrrhus gladly accept, and so on a warm summer morning he wakes up to see the gates broken before him.

Quickly he sends forwards his Hoplites, confident that they will crush any opposition inside the city. However, on the other side of the gates await a force of hoplitai who are easily able to hold back Pyrrhus hoplites, and from the walls the Peltastai and Akontistai throwns javelins in the hundreds at the unarmoured men, and from the great towers all sorts of missiles are fired.
    Pyrrhus, seeing his men in great need sends forth his Illyrians, and these men are able to stabilise the line and start pushing the Syrakousaioi back. Meanwhile Pyrrhus taken his three sons Ptolemaios, Alexandros and Helenos and their picked bodyguards with him around the walls. They enter the destroyed northern gate, where a unit of spearmen awaits. These Thureophoroi are quickly driven back though, as hundreds of heavily armoured men and horses crash into their ranks. After a quick chase after them Pyrrhus enters the maze of the city street, looking for his old friend and general. Suddenly he sees some red cavalry in the distance, and as he orders his force towards it he recognise the face of Hiero in the first line of this unit. Pyrrhus charges the cavalry, and despite hailing from the city of Taras, famous for it´s cavalry, these men are no match for Pyrrhus and his sons. Somewhere in the struggle Hiero falls from his horse and is trampled to death.
    Over at the eastern gate the situation is desperate. The enemy hoplites have been all but defeated, but all the hundreds of men upon the walls have come down and are now pushing the remaining Illyrians and hoplites back. Pyrrhus hears the struggle continuing, and decides to come to the rescue of his men. As soon as he and his great number of heavily armoured cavalrymen appears around the street corner the enemies realises their doom, and flees towards the city center. Most of them are cut down before they are able to escape.
    Most of his army is still waiting outside of the city, since with Pyrrhus and his sons gone there is no one to give orders to them. Soon however Pyrrhus orders his Illyrians to clear the walls of the city with defenders, and when the Galatian mercenary´s sees the Illyrians wawing from atop the walls they believe they can no longer stand still and wait, and so rushes into the city, ready to plunder. First however, the remaining enemies must be taken care of. A second unit of hoplites approached the eastern gate, no doubt looking to reclaim it. the few ramining hoplites of Pyrrhus engaged them, while the vicious Galatians flanks them and cut them down with great speed.
    Now Pyrrrhus sends orders for his phalanxes to enter the city, and after a long march these decends upon the city center where just a few enemies await. After a desperate struggle with the phalanxes, Pyrrhus and his sons plus the Illyrians who had come down from the walls, then final defender is put to rest. Pyrrhus had lost almost one third of his army, but in return gained one of the greatest city´s in the world.

The carnage at the eastern gate

Angered at the city´s refusal to open its gates, Pyrrhus releases his soldiers, and for several days terror rules the city, as the children are cast from the walls, the men cut down, the women raped and the animals eaten. Or was it the other way around? Anway, Pyrrhus and his two favourite sons Ptolamaios and Helenos quickly descends into an abyss of drinking, womanising, throwing up and other hobbies worthy of an Basileus and his sons.
    His second son, Alexandros however, does not follow his fathers guidance, and so in all but word becomes the true ruler of the city, as he oversees it finances, buildings and all the other boring things that a city this size requires.
    Pyrrhus only comes out of his dark pit every once in a while to give the most strange orders. All the Galatians and Illyrians shall be released from service, the elephants he had brought with him shall be sold to a local circus and most of the remaining hoplites shall be settled on the best land to be found.
    Needless to say, Alexandros is outraged, for his city is left almost undefended, even though the Poeni are gathering a great force in their stronghold of Lilibeo, undoubtly to subdue all of Sicily.

Next time Pyrrhus pops out of whole he delivers even stranger orders, for the demands that all his territories back in Hellas shall be given away for free, to the Thrakians! Shocked, Alexandros still obeys his father, and sends out diplomats to find some siutable Thracians. The diplomats have a hard with this task, but finally enters the lands of the Getai, a half-threacian people who controlls a great area and whose mountains have made them rich with gold and silver. The Getai are overjoyed when the diplomats tell them the happy news, and quickly sends a few dozen men to ensure the loyalty of the Epeirotes and Illyrians. These have already decided that any ruler must be better then Pyrrhus, and so accept the new ones with little protest.
    Back in Syrakousai, Alexandros manages to broker a peace with the Poeni, as he promises that his father has no intention to conquer the island, and the Poeni, having great troubles with rebellious Numidians back home, accepts, and so a temporary peace ensues.
    Soon enough Pyrrhus pops up his ugly head again, this time to let his second son know that he intends to inavade the island of Krete. When Alexandros asks why Pyrrhus simply throw a vine bottle after him and shouts something about Minoan women and his Alexandros dearly departed mothers heritage. Alexandros simply sighs and gathers the few armed men remaining, and puts them upon a few ships. Shortly after Pyrrhus, Ptolemaios and Helenos boards the ships, and sets of towards the island of Krete, leaving Alexandros in Syrakousai. The entire city joins Alexandros in his celebrations, and prays deeply to Poseidon that pirates or storms will take the fleet.

Now at last Alexandros can get to work with improving the city. He orders the construction a greater temples, roads, ports, markets, sewers, gymnasions, just about everything that sets Greeks apart from the barbarians. He even builds a great Academia, where great minds from all across the world gathers. Being something of a philosopher himself, Alexandros regularly joins the debates here, and often wins the day, but always though superior argument rather then fear of reprisal, for Alexandros is truly a benevolent governor, satisfied with ruling this city and it´s surroundings. He was always accompanied by a renowned philosopher and his favourite poet Theokritos Syrakousios. In his service he also had many knowledgable clerks and skilled armourers. To honor him the people appointed him to the position of Emporiarches, superviso of trade, a task he handled galantly.

While Alexandros and the people of Syrakousai prospered however, Pyrrhus and his two favourite sons were suffering aboard the ships, as the wine was running low. Finally they reached the island of Krete, and set ashore a few miles from the city of Kydonia. Scouts reported that an army from Sparta was camped in the west, were it had been sitting for quite a while now. Dismissing these news a burp, Pyrrhus orders his men to begin the construction of a ram to knock down the wooden gates of Kydonia. While the ram was being constructed Pyrrhus toured the area looking for more wine, and happened upon a band of Kretan archers, who claimed that they were more then willing to join his army and aid in the slaughtering of their fellow Kretans. Pyrrhus was reluctant at first, but after the leader of the Kretans said that he knew of the location of a secret wine cellar, Pyrrhus happily allowes them into his army.
    Soon the ram is finished, and begins battering upon the wodden gates. Pyrrhus Kretans fires over the walls and kills many defenders, so when the gates are finally down Pyrrhus and his sons simply storm the city and killl all those who oppose him. Once again he releases his soldier and a reign of terror holds the city for a few days, while the men are thrown from the walls, the women cut down on site, the animals raped and the children eaten. Or was it the other way around?

Anyway, the Spartan army still remains camped on Krete, showing no intention to leave. Angered at this, Pyrrhus prepares to forcefully remove them. News arrive to Krete that Athenai has fallen to the armies of Makedonia, and seeing the inevitable victory of these and the vileness of the Spartans Pyrrhus makes peace with the Makedonians and allies himself with them, to bring down the Spartans and their allies the Rhodians.
    Will Pyrrhus be able to defeat the army of Sparta, will the Poeni keep their word or take advantage of Syrakousai´s weakness, and most importantly, will the Getai actually ever do something with their new territories?

Edit: Added some paragraphs to make it easier on the eyes. Glad you like it.
    Last edited by General Appo; 05-11-2008 at 00:04.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Default Re: The Basileus is crazy

ROFL

I like it very much
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

I got to have whatever Pyrrhos is on
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Great AAR, and hilarious! If you could, I think it needs moar pics.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Thank you for tour nice comments. My problem with pics is that my lousy picture handling software somehow fails to make my screentshots into the designated size, which means that they´re either so big that everything´s extremely fuzzy or that there´s a lot of white space on the edges. But I´m working on it.
    I should have a new chapter out in a short time,I´ve written almost exactly to the point where I´ve played, but I´ve got almost the entire afternoon free for gaming and maybe some writing.
    The Appomination

I don't come here a lot any more. You know why? Because you suck. That's right, I'm talking to you. Your annoying attitude, bad grammar, illogical arguments, false beliefs and pathetic attempts at humour have driven me and many other nice people from this forum. You should feel ashamed. Report here at once to recieve your punishment. Scumbag.

Use Fraps!

It's free!

It's good!

It won't eat your brain!

www.fraps.com
    This space intentionally left blank.

Then tell me how to get rid of that annoying shit in the corner!
    Besides, that´s not my problem, my problem comes when I begin cutting my pictures. I know, I really suck. Anyway, got to play now.
    The Appomination

People's Padishah Emperor Member Emperor Burakuku's Avatar

Don't think if you can, but the pictures will be clean (without the annoying shit in the corner).
    BTW dude, strangest AAR I've ever read, but very funny! Congrats!
    "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog"

It wasn't clear, or maybe I missed it, but does Pyrrhus still rule in Epeiros as well (you say he withdrew the garrisons but the AAR doesn't mention whether the cities there then rebelled or were taken by any of the other factions after his withdrawal?)
    I always wondered about the possibility of taking Pyrrhus - the leading military strategist of the time - to conquer Alexandria and Ptolemaic Egypt - the strongest (I think!) economic area of the time? If he could pull that off, and establish his economic base as well as having his military power in hand, Epeiros would clearly be a force to reckon with for a long time to come (and would certainly be a legacy to leave his sons to work with going forward)!
    Maybe you have somewhat similar thoughts - starting with expansion in Syrakousai and Krete? Leaving each son a separate base of operations to expand from?

I´ve tried with the screenshots, but I just can´t get it to work good. How do you pros edit your screenshots? When you delete a part of a screenshot, how do you remove the white shit that comes up behind it? I can´t even make the one screenshot I put in smaller. ve been trying to for 2 hours and I´m damned tired of it all, so I´m sorry for the lack of screenshots. I had some damn nice battle ones. I guess I really should use Photoshop or something like it, but I don´t have it right here. Maybe in a week I will.

Chapter 2: The Battle of Yrtakina

After procuring some Samnite and Brettian mercenaries Pyrrhus prepares to defeat the Spartan army. His scouts report that only the personal bodyguards of the armies general are of the famous Spartan kind, the rest are normal soldiers from Sparta´s allies and subjects. Also, his scouts reports that this general is no other then Areus Agiados Lakedaimonios, the King of Sparte. His death will surely resonate thoughout the entire Hellenic world, and perhaps at last remove Pyrrhus from his position as the laughing stock of the entire Mediterraenean.
    Near the old city of Yrtakina the two armies met in battle. Equal in numbers, Pyrrhus intends to use his superior cavalry to first defeat the supporting troops and then use his heavy infantry and phalanx to defeat the enemy hoplites.

Pyrrhus arranges his army and moves towards to enemy, who eagerly awaits him. His Kretans begin to fire upon the enemy skirmishers who have strayed to far from the main line, and Pyrrhus his sons ride them down with ease. As Pyrrhus maked his way back to his infantry he is shortly pursued by the Spartan hoplites, and when these turned to get back in line the Kretans unleashed a volley right in their back, killing several and wounding more.
    As the Spartans and their allies struggles to reform their lines to face Pyrrhus advancing infantry the Kretans continue to deal horrible casualties to their ranks, and the Akontistai runs forth to throw their javelins. Pyrrhus leads his cavalry behind the enemy lines and rides down the enemy Kretans while the Samnites and Brettians falls upon the Spartans left flank engaging the hoplites there. The Spartans pursues the Akontistai until suddenly these unarmoured men shows courage unheard of for many years, and turns and charges the legendary Spartans, cutting with their small knives.
    Inspired by this act of heroism the phalanx comes to the aid of the Akontistai and starts pushing their long pikes into the Spartans line.
    Seeing all this Pyrrhus splits his cavalry, sending Ptolemaios and Helenos to aid the Italians while taking his own bodyguards to charge the Spartans.
    The Kretans have now run out of arrows, and drawing their short swords attacks the hoplites on the right flank, renewing the Italians spirit. As the cavalry falls upon the hoplites backs they flee but are chased to death. Only the Spartans still stand, honoring their mighty ancestors. But soon enough the last Spartan is cut down, and a member of the Akontistai slits Areus throats while he still fighting. Truly a great victory, Pyrrhus loses few men, and most of these can be easily replaced amongst the local population. The Spartan army however, had been completely eradicated.

Pyrrhus victory does indeed sends shockwaves across all of Hellas. Not only had the Spartans and their allies lost their king, but a great deal of their army, including many of the precious hoplites from Sparte, those who had undergone the Agoge. Coupled with the Makedonians conquest of Athenai and recent succeses in Ione this boaded ill for the city-states of Hellas, but things were about to get even worse.
    After returning to Kydonia and replenishing his forces as well as his wine supply, Pyrrhus announces his next act of genius. Firstly, the he releases the Samnites and Bruttians from his service, but as he refuses to lend them any boats and not merchant vessel would take such unruly barbarians aboard, they reluctantly agrees to settle near the mountain Koutroulis in the western part of the island, where they form a small village named Calbisidoi, but commonly reffered to as "The Black Hole" by the locals, for anyone who approaches the village dissapears and is never heard of again, though how a black hole could do this remains unknown.

Shortly after, Pyrrhus declared his intent to conquer the island of Rhodos, which he has heard is the center of winetrade for the entire Aegean. After training some new spearmen that has begun spreading in Hellas he sets out for the island. Behind him however, he leaves his firstborn son Ptolemaios, who after the battle of Yrtakina has shown himself a responsible young man. Naturally Pyrrhus could not allow this, and tried to drown him in wine and women, but gave up after Ptolemaiois refused to relax, constantly pointing out that half the city was on fire, the wine was strangely green and bubbling, that there was something wierd about the women Pyrrhus offered him, particulary her beard, and other such petty matters.
    So Pyrrhus left his firstborn son to govern the island of Krete and instad appointed his youngest son and the only one still following in his fathers footsteps Helenos to his heir. Shortly after, Pyrrhus, Helenos and their army sets ashore on Rhodos.

Quickly surrounding the city, they learn that it is only defended by a an old man, rumoured to be near 100 years old. Pyrrhus dismisses these rumours with a fart and by scratching his mistress beard, and orders the construction of siege machines. Off shore, Pyrrhus fleet spots a few small ships and approaches them for the required questioning and raping, but soon realises that these ships are not ordinary trade ships, but transports shipping a small army to Rhodos. The ships are quickly sunk, and the army relocated to the bottom of Poseidons kingdom. Pyrrhus fleet continues around the coast to blockade Rhodos harbour, bur finds it alrady sealed off by a Seleukid navy. These Diadaochi or whatever they call themselves offers to ally with Pyrrhus, but Pyrrhus still have fond memories of his time in Egypt, where the wine came easy and the women were cheap, or was it other way around? Anyway, Pyrrhus refuse to even see the Seleukid diplomats and continues to wait for the siege machines to be finished.

Before they are however, great news reach Pyrrhus. The old man ruling the city has apparently died of a minor flu, apparently multiple stab wounds in the chest is a side-effect of that horrible disease.
    Without the old man to hold them togheter, the Rhodians surrender the city, and promising to deliver 50,000 amphoras of the finest wine within two weeks, Pyrrhus decides to spare them the usual killing, looting, raping and eating.
    The loss of Rhodos is terrible news for the Greeks, now only the city´s of Lakonike remains free. Shortly after other bad news reach the Spartans, the small kingdom of Pontos has attacked the Spartans allies in Sinope, obviously seeing their weakness and inability to react in any other then harsh words and useless threats. In Syrakousai Alexandros continues to rejoice in his new life, but is increasingly worried about the Poeni army camped outside Lilibeo growing ever larger. So far he has not forced any of the locals to serve as garrison, but soon it will perhaps become neccessary.

The whole world eagerly awaits Pyrrhus next decision, or at least so he likes to believe. Where will his small army set sail next, what unlucky region he next set his pigeyes upon?
    The Appomination

Quote Originally Posted by Timidus
    It wasn't clear, or maybe I missed it, but does Pyrrhus still rule in Epeiros as well (you say he withdrew the garrisons but the AAR doesn't mention whether the cities there then rebelled or were taken by any of the other factions after his withdrawal?)
    I always wondered about the possibility of taking Pyrrhus - the leading military strategist of the time - to conquer Alexandria and Ptolemaic Egypt - the strongest (I think!) economic area of the time? If he could pull that off, and establish his economic base as well as having his military power in hand, Epeiros would clearly be a force to reckon with for a long time to come (and would certainly be a legacy to leave his sons to work with going forward)!
    Maybe you have somewhat similar thoughts - starting with expansion in Syrakousai and Krete? Leaving each son a separate base of operations to expand from?
    Actually (as mentioned) Pyrrhus ordered them given away for free to the Thrakians. His diplomats couldn´t find any pure-blooded Thrakians, but decided the Getai were close enough, and so now Getai controlls all of Epeiros and Illyria Hellenike. They´re building huge armies in those two cities, and will hopefully use them soon.
    As for planning ahead, I tend not to do that with these kind of campaigns. I´m just role-playing after their traits (okay, maybe I´m exaggarating Pyrrhus a bit) and havn´t planned what will happen when Pyrrhus dies, except that Helenos will probably become king and continue his daddy´s crazy crusade for wine and bearded women.
    As for taking Egypt, that seems kinda smart, so definitely won´t be Pyrrhus next action. More likely he´ll go for some isolated backwater province with no use what so ever. But I´ll have to play and scout a bit more before I can tell any more detail.

Edit: Just like to add, that the army in the screenshot is actually my only one. The samnites and Brettians were disbanded after the battle and a unit of Thorakitai recruited, apart from that all I have is Alexandros and his bodyguards. So I only have 8 units at the moment, plus the 3 ships you get from the start.
    Last edited by General Appo; 05-11-2008 at 13:58.
    The Appomination

Chapter 3: He had a dream...

During one late night when Pyrrhus and Helenos were (as usual) drinking each other under, over, inside and atop the table, Pyrrhus suddenly got a brilliant idea. A masterplan that would ensure him complete domination of all the world and as much wine and bearded women he´d like. Eager to tell everyone about his plan, he ordered his guards to wake everyone in the city and gather them in the agora. After much rumbling and scuffing, several thousands of Rhodians had gathered in the emptied agora and were gazing sleepily at Pyrrhus.
    Standing tall atop a marble podium, his eyes shined in the moonlight, and the torches cast strange shadows across his face, and the Rhodians were mighty impressed by his presence, many believing that it was one of the gods that had stepped down from the Olympos to speak to them.
    Suddenly, the figure started to speak. In a deep clear voice, carrying across the entire agora, he proclaimed:
    -"I have a dream" and then slumped from the podium collapsing in a pile of unrecognisable bodyparts. Realising that it was just Pyrrhus, the people wandered home again, hopefully to catch some sleep before the sun arose and signaled the start of the new day.

The next morning one of Pyrrhus captains asked what the dream had been he had planned to tell everyone about. Suffering from an enourmous hangover, having no memory of the nights incident and feeling like being an ass, Pyrrhus screamed that the captain bloody well knew what the dream was, to which the frigthened captain replied that of course he knew what it was.
    Pyrrhus who was getting increasingly curious, ordered him to find out what the dream was by midnight or he and everyone else would be hanged.
    The captain hurried from his masters presence, and summoned the other captains of Pyrrhus army and the most powerful of the local Rhodians. These held a long meeting to decide what they would tell Pyrrhus that his dream had been about. First someone proposed that he´d dreamed about jumping of a cliff, and though everyone enjoyed the idea they finally agreed that even he wouldn´t fall for that.

After some more debate they finally agreed, Pyrrhus had dreamed about capturing the island of Kypros. This was beneficial for everyone involved, apart from perhaps Pyrrhus.
    The Rhodians wanted Pyrrhus away from their island, but they were also worried about the Ptolemais who had almost monopolised sea trade in the Levant. The conquest of Kypros by friendly forces would undoubtly start shifting the balance back to the Rhodians.
    The captains wanted an easy target to plunder, rape and loot, an rumours said Ptolemy II had left the island almost undefended. The fleet would then deter any Ptolemaic attempts to retake the island.
    When the captain told Pyrrhus of the nature of his dream, he was first very skeptical and unwilling to attack the territory of his ally and childhood friend Ptolemy. When the captain pointed out that Kypros was a large producer of wine however, Pyrrhus determination wavered.
    The captain presented a compromise. If Ptolemy truly was such an good and faithful friend and ally, then he wouldn´t mind giving Kypros over to Pyrrhus would he? Pyrrhus agreed with this and sent an envoy to Alexandreia demanding Kypros to be handed over. Strangely enough, Ptolemy refused, and Pyrrhus was rightly shocked, and broke all ties with the Ptolemies, while striking a deal with their arch enemy the Seleukids to forever fight the Ptolemies.

Before the invasion of Kypros could begin however, Helenos requested he´d be allowed to enter into the olympic games that were soon to begin. Pyrrhus gladly agreed and wished to go there himself and participate, but his captains convinced him that wine was very sparse at the games. 51 years old and having serious back problems, this was probably the best for him.
    Both Alexandros and Ptolemaios entered into the games as well, were they all meet for the first time in years. Ptolemaios and Alexandros embraced each other as true brothers, but Helenos was a bit more hesitant, mainly because he didn´t know which one of the two Alexandros he saw he should hug.
    Amazingly, Helenos managed to not completely embarass himself during the games, though it was his oldest brother who accomplished the most amazing feat.
    After many hours of hard training on Krete Ptolemaios condition and speed was excellent, and he won several of the running races, bringing great honor to himself and his scattered people.

Soon however things calmed down and everyone sailed home, and Pyrrhus and Helenos set sail towards Kypros. Before they left Pyrrhus had randomly chosen a Rhodian to act as ruler of the city. Luckily, this man showed to be of a competent sort, a local man of lower nobility named Attidas.
    With him on the ships Pyrrhus brought not only many of the 50,000 amphoras with wine, but a unit of slingers from Rhodos. These men were famous for their prowess in battle, and with their half-cuirasses were better suited for melee then other slingers.
    Soon Pyrrhus landed in Kypros, and surrounded the Ptolemais center of operation, the city of Salamis. Guarding this city was quite a large army, almost equal in numbers to that of Pyrrhus. It consisted almost entirely of skirmishers however, Akontisai and Hippakontisai, good assets to an army no doubt, but almost useless alone against an enemy.
    Confident of victory Pyrrhus troops stormed the gates the moment the ram was finished, and the Thorakitai cut down the unarmoured man in short time.
    An undramatic battle, it ended when a stone from the Rhodian ranks killed the Ptolemaic commander and his troops surrendered.
    Needless to say, they and most of the population was cut down and then raped (yes in that order, not the other way around) while many houses were burnt and then looted (yet again, in just that order). With this organised opposition ceased across the island.

Now Pyrrhus had time to gather himself and his troops, and reflect upon the news from across the world.
    In Hellas the Spartans had launched a surprise attack and liberated most of the Peloponnesos from the Makedonians, and the Illyrians under Getai command had invaded Aitolia, though the city of Thermon still stood firm. When told these news Pyrrhus asked who the f*uck the Getai´s were. When informed they were a Thrakian tribe ranging from north of Thrakia Hypertera he asked what the f*ck they were doing in Aitolia and why the f*ck they were commanding Illyrians. It seems Pyrrhus had no memory of giving his homeland to the Getai for free, and he was quite upset when he heard about it.
    In other parts of the world things were taking a turn for the unexpected as well. Rumours were widespread that the Seleukids had lost much territory to some nomads who claimed to be the inheritors of the Persians, truly a ridiculous claim. All was not bad for the Empire of Seleukos however, for the regions of Adurbadegan near Hayasdan and Gerrhaia Arabia on the coast of just Arabia had fallen to their armies, and the Ptolemaic city of Tarsos was under siege from a great army of theirs.

Many were guessing what Pyrrhus next move would be, but no one guessed that he would do nothing, which might just be why he did just that. He had most of the wine the Rhodians had given him left, and had hired a Scythian band of bearded women to keep him company. For the first time in many years, he was happy and content with his life. The question was if it would remain so.
    Last edited by General Appo; 05-11-2008 at 18:24.
    The Appomination

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

Remove the number (FPS) by going to the FPS tab, in which there's a box labeled "Overlay Corner" with choices for where you put the FPS. Below that is a Disabled option. Click it and no more numbers.

As for picture editing, I just use paint.

I use paint to, but how do you cut your images then? For example cutting out the whole lower part during battles, I just use ""Mark form" and then delete that part, but then there´s just a lot of white there instead, and it shows up when I post the pictures, and I don´t know how to make it not show up.
    The Appomination

The Bad Doctor Senior Member Chaotix's Avatar

Great AAR! I love the part about the dream. I think... Pyrhhos should become obsessed with the Scythian bearded women and sail to Scythia (Chersonesos and Olbia) to find more... but that's just my idea.
    Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer: The Gameroom

Great AAR! Quite a bit of absurdist humour.

I was thinking of Olbia as well. Then he can have all the Scythian beared women he wants. But probably no wine. A depressing thought. Or he can sail off to Iberia or Gaul, although Scythian bearded women will be quite scarce there. A tough decision ...

The Creator of Stories Member Parallel Pain's Avatar

I just open multiple paint and cut and paste and carefully drag the margines so there's no white stuff.

The Rabbit Nibbler Member Korlon's Avatar

1. Open screenshot file.
    2. Open a new MS paint window, make the available screen as small as possible.
    3. Go to screenshot file and select the spot where you wish to put as your picture. Copy it.
    4. Go to the new MS paint window. Paste it. The available spot for the info should be bigger now, to accomodate the new stuff.
    5. Save it, upload it. Yays.

I suggest getting something better than MS Paint though. It's terrible. I'm sure there are some free photo editing software out there. I happen to have photoshop already so it's great.
    Ongoing EB Campaigns:
    1.0 Pontos (245 BC)

Remanent or Supremacy - An EB Pontos AAR - Unfortunately postponed indefinitely.
    1.1 Saka Rauka Gameplay Guide
    1.1 Lusotannan Gameplay Guide

Thanks Korlon and PP. Yes I sometimes have Photoshop (yes, sometimes) but I am a true noob in its uses.
    As for Pyrrhus next move, I think I have an (really crazy) idea, but you´ll have to wait and see. Just remember, he´s getting old (51 years) so he can´t keep sailing around forever. There´s also been some changes in Sicily, but hopefully you´ll read about that in my next chapter, which I hope to have out later today.
    Just one thing, sadly I have this thing for the Sauromatae and so I am reluctant to take Olbia from them, but maybe I´ll get over my love for them. Maybe.
    The Appomination

Yaay!!!! I know how to edit and post screenshots in a suitable manner!! Thank you Korlon, your method worked.
    Strangely though, I can´t find the screenshots from the battle I was planning to tell you about, I have no idea where they´ve gone, or if they were even registered as taken. I´ll have to look in to this.
    In the meantime, to celebrate my newfound ability, here´s some pics from the Battle of Yrtakina (where Pyrrhus kicked the Spartans ass, if you remember).
    For those being disturbed by the banners, don´t worry, I have removed them by now. Anyway:

The Kretans begins the battle by firing at the Greek skirmishers.

Pyrrhus himself attacks the skirmishers.

The Spartans are having trouble with their formation as the Kretans bombards them, slaying many.

On the other end of the battlefield the Italians charge the enemy hoplites.

In an act of bravery worthy of their opponents reputation, Pyrrhus unarmoured men attacks the Spartans.

"Like the Spartans at Thermopylae!"

Pressed from both sides by Pyrrhus valiant men, the Spartan´s allies breaks rank and flees.

Soon the Spartans stand alone, and though they fight to their death few of Pyrrhus men falls with them, and soon their King lies slain, slain by the hands of a simple Akontistai.

Pyrrhus victory is complete, his army emerges unscatched while the Spartan´s army is annihilated and their King dead.
    The Appomination

Perhaps you could forge an alliance then? With the terms being that Pyrrhos gets access to his beloved bearded Scythian women, pays a small yearly tribute, and take Pantokapaion and / or Chersonesos.

Hmmm... an alliance is possible, but I don´t think I will take any cities in that area. I have something different in mind, that I will must try out first.
    Sadly I´ve gotten hold of an old copy of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and will perhaps be preoccupied playing it for a few days. We shall see.
    The Appomination

Wohoo!! I discovered where the missing screenshots had gone. I had deleted some screenshots that I had converted to other (less memory consuming) files and so when I took new screenshots they appeared in the missing areas, meaning that there were about 2000 screenshots listed as taken after my latest one. Stupid me not thinking about that. Anyway, here goes:

Chapter 4: Battle of Arkai

The Karchedoi have finally revealed their true intentions, as their army in Lilibeo marched onto Epirote land near Syrakousai. Realising the inevitable Alexandros made contact with the mercenary captains he had silently established contact with during his time in Sicily.
    In little time, he has gained a true army of many native Italians and Greeks, ready to fight for Epirote money. The inhabitants of Syrakousai have grown comfortable under Alexandros, but a unit of Phalangite is quickly assembled to secure continued Greek freedom for Karchedoi tyranny.
    Outside the small city of Akrai the two armies march up for battle.

As he prepares for the battle Alexandros if filled with quiet determination. He is no man of war, and would rather govern his lands peacefully. But this battle has been forced upon him, and unless he wish to live the rest of his days in flight from the Karchedoi, he must win this battle. He is confident that his cause is a just and noble one, and that the gods will smile upon him and his army.
    Before the battle begins Alexandros makes sacrifices to Zeus-Dodonaios, promising to restore the nearby temple to Aphrodite and amphitheatre in his honor, for the Karchedoi had shamelessly plundered these sites.
    Soon after the day for battle has come.

Dressed in his finest armour and arms, Alexandros is truly a magnifient view that his men gather confidence from.

Arranging his forces for battle, Alexandros prepares for his first battle since the capture of Syrakousai many years ago.

As the enemies of Pyrrhus and his sons often do, the Karchedoi commander allows his skirmishers to stray to far from the main line, and siezing the opportunity Alexandros charges his bodyguard against the skirmishers, intending to eliminate the enemies supporting troops.

Unable to stand against Alexandros´s heavy horsemen the skirmishers are driven into flight, and Alexandros pursues them all the way to the enemy line, where the Karchedoi spearmen deters his cavarly, and he is forced to abandon his pursuit.

As Alexandros and his men rides around to flank the enemy line, some Karchedoi attempts to pursue him, but Alexandros easily escapes.

Instead these men seek to flank the Epirote line, advancing up a steep hill in cover of the tall grass, but the mercenary captains spots them, and a contignent of Samnites and Greek Hippeis attacks them.

At the same time behind the Karchedoi lines Alexandros engages the lone elephant brought to the battlefield, and with their xyston they quickly fell the beast, though it fells two men from their horses as it falls.

Alexandros orders the bruised men to withdraw for the rest of the battle, and then wheels to meet the incoming Iberian cavalry, who with a rain of javelins charges the Epirote men, their commander cheering them on.

Founding himself pressured by Alexandros men, the commander calls for help, and it comes in the form of levy Karchedoi spearmen and Iberian skirmishers, so called Caetrati, who forces Alexandros to withdraw, but as the Karchedoi returns to the battle line Alexandros drives the Iberian horses and the armies commander to flight, and with his reduced bodyguard attacks the Caetrati.

Back near the Epirote lines the battle still rages on, as more Karchedoi joins the fight. Soon the Leukanoi from Brettia attacks their rear and the Hippeis charges one final time before the Karchedoi breaks.

The main Karchedoi force is still intact, but soon engages the remaining Italians and Greeks, and a vicious fight breaks out.

Soon Alexandros, who has driven the Caetrati from the field, returns to the main battle, and his charge sends the enemy army running. Alexandros participates with great vigour in the following pursuit, slaying many of the Karchedoi.

When all casualties are accounted for the result stands clear. Alexandros has won a great victory nearly eradicating the Karchedoi army while taking few casualties himself.

As is not well though for Alexandros, for he fears that this battle was just the begining of a greater conflict. Already there are rumours of another Karchedoi army having landed in Lilibeo, this one is supposed to consist entirely of Iberians.

But most of all, Alexandros mourns that he must now conscript many of the local Greeks into his army, for he knows that the mercenaries are just a temporary solution.
    Keeping true to his word, he restores the temple and amphitheatre at Arkai, the theatre had fell in disuse for many years, and was severely damaged.

Alexandros restores it and even attends the first play held there, a comical one mocking Alexandros father and his drinking habits, one which Alexandros thoroughly enjoys.

In Kypros Pyrrhus sends orders to Attidas at Rhodos to create the largest ship the world has ever seen. Pyrrhus himself is unsure what the ship will be used for, but he claims he´s got a "good feeling" about it.
    So Attidas begins construction of a true behemoth of a ship, a Nees Megistas with over 40 decks, nearly bankrupting Rhodos in the process.

News from across the world reaches Pyrrhus.
    In Hellas the Getai are continuing their assault on Aitolia, now besieging the great city of Thermon.

And in Ionia the Seleukids have taken the initiative from the Makedonians, and have surrounded the free city of Pergamon.

In the Levant, Seleukid forces continues their attacks on Tarsos and Sidon, clearly having put the Ptolemeis on the run for the moment.

So ends another chapter in the tell of Pyrrhus Aiakides and his sons, an epic tale of glory, brilliance, drunkness, madness and bearded women.
    Last edited by General Appo; 05-15-2008 at 19:34.
    The Appomination

I love it, Appo.

Can you show us a pic of your..empire? *smirk*

Very nice update.

I think Pyrrhos will end up in Kyrene. Just to piss just about the whole world off.
    Last edited by d'Arthez; 05-15-2008 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    Can you show us a pic of your..empire? *smirk*
    I´ll try to get one in tomorrow. It´s kinda hard to see it, all my 3 regions are pretty small, but I´ll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by d'Arthez
    I think Pyrrhos will end up in Kyrene. Just to piss just about the whole world off.
    I had serious thoughts about Kyrene for a while, but now I have a new target for Pyrrhus. I can´t say what exactly it is, but know that it will be a final epic target, or at least he will think so. I´m planning on letting his sons taking over more and more, so you might not see much of Pyrrhus for a while.
    Sadly I do not only have Return to Castle Wolfenstein on my schedule, but also a quick trip to the countryside, so I don´t know when I can pop in the next update.
    The Appomination

I had serious thoughts about Kyrene for a while, but now I have a new target for Pyrrhus. I can´t say what exactly it is, but know that it will be a final epic target, or at least he will think so.
    Ireland or Scotland! It's not like they haven't got enough drunkards there! =D

Perhaps a female Eqyptian warlord will overthrow the Ptolemai dynasty and become pharoah herself, complete with a beard! Surely Pyrrhus couldn't refuse such a temptation. He could then have a Cleo-Antonian drunkfest in the palace until the Grey Death come a' knocking.

Great AAR, very humorous and it seems you've gotten the hang of the screen shots. Nice job.
    "Insipientis est dicere, Non putarvm."

"It is the part of a fool to say, I should not have thought."
    -Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio Africanvs

Lives: Pvblivs Cornelivs Scipio (A Romani AAR)
    Lives: Alkyoneus Argeades (A Makedonian AAR)

Quote Originally Posted by Hax
    Ireland or Scotland! It's not like they haven't got enough drunkards there! =D
    *cough* I have no idea what you´re talking about there, and I certainly have nothing like that planned *cough*
    *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough* *cough*
    *Dies of coughing*
    The Appomination

Just a short chapter without any battles or real gaming in it, but some vital plot action. Though to school and football, I´m not sure how much I will be able to write, but maybe I´ll manage to get some more in this week. Maybe.

Chapter 5: The Great Journey

As Pyrrhos got ever more alcoholic in Salamis the gods despaired of him.

Long had they watched over him and aided him in all ways, seeing in him a second Megas Alexandros, but at every opportunity he had betrayed their trust.
    Now they had enough, and finally gave up upon him and the rest of mankind, and went back to playing football on Mount Olympos, occasionally raping some innocent girl and poking fun at the Titans in Tartarus.
    Only a few gods keept faith about mankind, cheif among these Athena, patron of Athens. She is determined to make Pyrrhos a second Megas Alexandros, one that will conquer to the ends of the world and more, and this time his empire will last for millenias, in a Golden Age of peace and prosperity.

In one of his drunken dreams Athena appears before Pyrrhos and tells him of all this, and he is overjoyed. However he somewhat misunderstands her instructions, and begins the preparations to sail to the end of the world in order to conquer it, and nothing along the way.
    Athena simply bangs her into a wall and joins the other gods in passing water upon Kronos, having given up her faith to mankind.

Pyrrhos however sets out with great energy, and swiftly takes the first merchant ship he can find and sets sail for Rhodos, where the great Polireme is being built. He does not even take time to say goodbye to his youngest son and heir to his throne, but simply leaves him a letter, saying the following:

Dear Helenos.

I apologise for my many failures as a father. Know that I always loved you and wished you well, even in my darkest hours.
    I am about to embark upon a great journey, to the end of the world, where I intend to set up a new Empire, worthy of the patronage of Athena. I am afraid that I must go alone on this journey, no friends or loved ones can I bring with me, only soldiers to slay those who oppose my rightoues cause.
    I will leave most of the wine behind and the Scythian women, for this is a pleasurely vacation, but a most serious voyage that I have set out upon, and I must be focused upon my duties.
    I do not believe we will ever see each other again, for my journey will be long and hazardous, and no matter how little I like to admit it, I am an aging man, the prime of my life long gone. I had hoped that togheter we could have built a strong Empire that would stand the test of time, but alas, that is not to be.
    I wish you all things good and leave you no orders, for this is now your own life, and your own Kingdom. Perhaps one day you will follow me to the world´s end, and we shall meet again. If not, I shall wait for you in Hades, or the Elysian Fields, if the gods wish it so.

Your everloving father, Pyrrhos Aiakides.

So Pyrrhos set out for Rhodos.

Pyrrhos soon reached Rhodos, and after a short time of loading supplies and rowers he boarded the great ship, and set sail for his first stop, Krete.

So begins the great journey of Pyrrhos Aiakides, Basileus of Epirus, Syrakousai, Krete, Rhodos and Kypros. Victor over Makedonia, Rome, Karkhēdōn and the Illyrioi.
    The world is moving, history is in the making. All across the known world armies are moving, forces are gathering. War rages on all fronts, but amidst this storm there is one man of calm, one man with a clear goal; to conquer the end of the world, and he will stop at nothing to acheive this goal.
    So in this year of the 510th year after the first Olympiad, the third year of the 128 Olympiad, 489 years after the founding of Rome, 558 years after the founding of Karkhēdōn, in the 21st year of Pharao Ptolemaios II Philadelphos, 33 years after the founding of the Pontic dynasteia by Mithradates Ktistes and 57 years after the death of Pyrrhos great cousin, Megas Alexandros, the Great Journey began. And great it would be.

Next chapter: A time of war.
    The Appomination

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast