Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    - Now, I am not able to determine here if this thread got a sticky or not, but if it don’t, I sure think that it deserves one.
    Link

Check out the third post.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Ok, I've downloaded and then extracted the files to my desktop but I'm unfortunately pretty darn clueless when it comes to computer stuff... What do I do now? heh.

Do I put these two files into my MTW gold edition folder or what?
    First Secretary Rodion Malinovsky of the C.P.S.U.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86316

12th Century Glory!
    http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Cen...d7dc28&act=idx

"I can do anything I want, I'm eccentric! HAHAHA!"-Rat Race

Do you think the Golden Rule should apply to masochists as well?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. yes that's right i dont listen rap..

Well I'm not sure where the MTW Gold Edition installs to, but it should be something like:

C:\Sega\Medieval - Total War Gold\campmap\buttons

Or:

C:\Medieval - Total War Gold\campmap\buttons

Just copy the files into the \campmap\buttons directory and it should prompt you as to whether you want to overwrite, click yes.

Yup, got it working! Thanks a bunch!
    First Secretary Rodion Malinovsky of the C.P.S.U.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86316

12th Century Glory!
    http://z14.invisionfree.com/12th_Cen...d7dc28&act=idx

"I can do anything I want, I'm eccentric! HAHAHA!"-Rat Race

Do you think the Golden Rule should apply to masochists as well?

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature. yes that's right i dont listen rap..

"I came, I saw, I fixed it" ~ peter_de123

Insert Custom User Title Member Imperator Honorius's Avatar

Thankyou, you are a god among men, peter_de123. There are no words good enough to express how happy and thankful I am for this fix.
    Last edited by Imperator Honorius; 12-07-2008 at 17:32. Reason: typo

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened. ~ Douglas Adams

An unplayable game is now playable.

My nine year old thinks me a hero, I got a big hug and a smile.

Thanks man, you made my weekend.

Matt

The Couch Knight Member =NF=RuzSkullen's Avatar

So If I read this correctly, you only have to replace these TWO files? And yes I have the 8800 GT VC, and yes the game crashes when I load up the campaign game, I'm gonna reinstall the game and see if this works!

The Chosen One Member Noddy The Beefy Egg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peter_de123 View Post
    Hello,

since I got my Nvidia 8800GTS I could not start MTW anymore, which was especially annoying because I bought the Eras Package. I even tried an old MTW version but it also did not work. After reading in various forums I thought it had something to do with the Nvidia Graphics Driver.

When I updated the driver tonight (version 175.16) I decided to give MTW another try. CTD when starting a campaign, just as I was fearing.

However, for some reason I also installed the Napoleon Total War Mod and tried again... SUDDENLY IT STARTED PERFECTLY.

So it could not be a graphics driver issue... I started toying around, removed and cleanly installed MTW, made a backup and tried to find out what made MTW work when I installed the Mod. I succeded to narrow the problem down to TWO FILES:

button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" Folder.

I verified it by using the clean, vanilla installation and only replacing those two files with the ones from the Mod.

NO CTD'S UNTIL NOW ANY MORE !!!

So to all those out there who also have the CTD problem when starting a campaign: Please try it out and report if it works for you.

Since this is my first post I am not allowed to enter a direct Link to a zip file containing the two buttons, so please look here: rapidshare.com / files / 115211547 / MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip . html (just remove the empty spaces between the words).

Alternatively you can of course install the NTW1 Mod.
    Well , it did not work. it goes back to the main campagin menu. error!

On my titles, Kaiser means king in German. So i'm the king

SELLING PIRATINGS OF THIS VIDEOGAME WILL RESULT IN PUNISHMENT BY CRUSHING

Thanks, I got a gaming laptop yesterday and this morning I installed M:TW and was getting the CTD when starting a campaign. I'm already reinstalling it but oh well atleast I will have the problem solved.

Finally. I am able to play this game for the first time. Thank you.

Here is the system I am running it on in case anyone was wondering about compatability:

Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    E8600, 780i, 4GB DDR2
    GTX 280 (181.20)
    X-fi Fatal1ty

Sadly while replacing the two small files gets the game running to the Campaign calendar part of the game, it doesn't resolve the issue about the mouse not recognising or moving units in real-tile battles. I was so upbeat about having repaired the game until I tried the first battle, and the same fault occurred.
    Is it an nVidia driver issue (just downloaded the latest drivers dated 21/1/09 which didn't cure it) or can anyone recommend a few graphics tweaks to cure the problem on an 8800 card?

The two button files will only cure problems with the campaign map, this is because they are physical parts of the campaign map UI (the up/down arrows on the unit/building review panel at the bottom of your screen).

There is no cure for the problem in battles. It is caused by the Nvidia display drivers. I advise that you have a quick skim through the thread below. You will not see any solutions there, but it will give you an idea of the scale and duration of this problem. So far Nvidia have not commented, nor have they done anything to help their customers. You will see that of those that contacted tech support, I think pretty much all were told that the game itself was to blame.

I advise that if you want have any hope at all of running this game, you should invest in an ATI graphics card. It is not guaranteed that it will work, but people are having much more success with ATI than they are with Nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx series graphics cards.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s...9&st=0&start=0
    Last edited by caravel; 01-26-2009 at 20:58.

Heir to the Scottish Throne Member Relic's Avatar

I wonder if the settings in the nvidia control panel can be set in some special configuration to emualate the older cards for MTW...

This has been attempted before but is always worth attempting again. I had seen the problem on a 7xxx series Nvidia card and changing some settings did seem to solve it. On 8xxx and 9xxx series cards none have had any luck so far however.

This is the thread at Nvidia forums relating to this exact issue: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=40869
    Last edited by caravel; 02-20-2009 at 00:25.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Thanks peter. Really odd though, I installed on my new machine and it ran perfectly. Then I had to reinstall since my machine decided to delete the exes and dlls for both MTW and RTW. After that I got this error.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I'm sorry to bump this but does anyone know why it worked fine last night? I mean I managed to play the campaign for few hours although with crashes. I got CTD when I tried to click interface etc. Today, earlier, I couldn't even load a new campaign or my saved campaign from last night. I'm running Vista Home Premium, Dual AMD 5200, etc. in case you're wondering.

Anyway, I downloaded the two buttons and its working again now. Thanks so much for the trouble finding it. I don't have BIF reader on this machine but I plan to look at the N:TW buttons and the default ones and try to see what the problem is.. soon. I'll let you know if I do but can't promise lol.
    Last edited by Weebeast; 04-21-2009 at 23:04.

I 've installed the original two disc 1.0 version of MTW. I've managed to get this close (") to playing. I can play all battles: custom, quick. I can't play the Campaign. Is there a solution for the 1.1 or 1.0 version?

The Gold edition just doesn't install.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

I 've installed the original two disc 1.0 version of MTW. I've managed to get this close (") to playing. I can play all battles: custom, quick. I can't play the Campaign. Is there a solution for the 1.1 or 1.0 version?
    I used the same ones to install plus one (VI disc). I'm sure the 1.1 uses the same buttons so download them if you haven't. I have Vista with intergrated chip, GeForce 6150 SE. My campaign map crash was solved by installing these buttons. Also, I used to have crashed on battle map too but those were gone as soon as I switched my desktop resolution, battle map and campaign map to 1024x768. I also went to Nvidia control panel and changed anti aliasing to 2x but it must be changed globally or it will revert back. I'm a happy guy now because I have not crashed ever since! Well, except when trying to exit from campaign map because I play XL mod in debug mode lol.

The Gold edition just doesn't install.
    What you mean by this? Bad cd I'm guessing?
    Last edited by Weebeast; 05-05-2009 at 11:27.

Wink Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

I know it is actually a bit unrelated, but I am not where else to post my little moment of joy:

I had an oldish comp, with an ATI Radeon X1650 on it, that was perfectly happy to run MTW for me.

Then, disaster! My graphics card died a month ago. After a bit of a small epic, I replaced it with an EAH4550 (Radeon tech Asus card). Sure enough, That card was wayyy to modern to bother with something as fustian as MTW.

And then it occured to me : As my machine is oldish, what about the onboard graphics?

Nervously, I rebooted my computer, nestling the monitor plug with shaking hands out of the graphics card slot, and plugging it into the onboard exit (Nvidia 6100). AND LO! The game is running again.

So, if your machine is about 2 years or older, your onboard graphics port might be your best friend for running MTW, should your snazzy new GPU refuse to cooperate.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusSmith View Post
    Then, disaster! My graphics card died a month ago. After a bit of a small epic, I replaced it with an EAH4550 (Radeon tech Asus card). Sure enough, That card was wayyy to modern to bother with something as fustian as MTW.
    I'm running MTW on a new laptop with a Radeon Mobility 4850 card. No problems. Glad you got it running one way or another, but you should be able to get it working on your new card.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

thank you for the fix !

(nv9600gts-E5200)

Smile Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

I got a new card a few months ago - Nvidea GeForce 6200.

Been playing other games, mainly called Shogun:TW. Then finally got back to M:TW, only to get this horrible CTD bug. Thankfully these two little files seem to have fixed the problem and I'm now trying out the Sicilians for the first time.

BTW, these files came from a Nap mod? Is the rest of the mod worth a try? I've not tried a mod before, so thought of giving it a go. The one I noticed in the Downloads seems to have various bits and pieces to download with no explanation of what is needed or what to do with them.

Works like a charm, Thanks.
    "This is no way for a leader to behave, but in battle it's beyond belief."

I'm still having a problem with the battlemap. The battle map loads but I'm getting a flickering of the screen. The pointer arrow also leaves trails when I move the mouse. With the game options I can only set the resolution of the battle map to 640 x 480. I have Nvidia 9600. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
    "This is no way for a leader to behave, but in battle it's beyond belief."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed TW View Post
    I'm still having a problem with the battlemap. The battle map loads but I'm getting a flickering of the screen. The pointer arrow also leaves trails when I move the mouse. With the game options I can only set the resolution of the battle map to 640 x 480. I have Nvidia 9600. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
    Try Alt & Tab; this puts the game onto the Taskbar. You then click on it there and it comes back up ( hopefully ) fixed ( until the next time... ).

HELP !!

I have just tried to download the
    "rapidshare.com/files/115211547/MTWGoldv2.01CTDFix.zip" file from rapidshare.com and cannot as the search engine cannot trace the file!!

I did try to download this file just before Xmas ( 2009 ) and found that the free download did not work. I then decided to pay using Paypal and was doing OK until I found out that the Credit Card I had listed with Paypal had expired and Paypal tried to debit my Cheque A/C, but got refused. This cancelled my transaction. I did set up a new credit card with Paypal shortly after, but did not revist Rapidshare at that time to recommence the transaction. Big mistake !!

It seems that rapidshare have revamped their systems since then, as the access etc. is completly different now. The new search engine cannot find the file at all (so maybe the file is no longer hosted ? ) !!

Therefore the link information provided by Peter123 is now ( I think ) redundant!!

Can anyone else provide the relevant "ipnext.bif" & "ipprev.bif" buttons for me direct or make them available somewhere and provide the link information here ??

Many thanks.
    Last edited by DEB8; 05-07-2010 at 02:59.

The link works fine: http://rapidshare.com/files/11521154...D_Fix.zip.html

Click on "free user".

Thumbs up Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post
    The link works fine: http://rapidshare.com/files/11521154...D_Fix.zip.html

Click on "free user".
    I feel a trite foolish after trying your link!

In my defence I did various searches on the rapidshare.com website.

Following Peter123's instructions ( incorrectly ), I tried :-

MTWGoldv2.01CTD
    MTWGoldv2.01CTDFix.
    MTWGoldv2.01CTDFix.zip
    files ( no trace ! )
    files/115211547
    files/115211547/MTWGoldv2.01CTDFix.zip.

Evidently I should have left in those _'s and/or the .html !!

Thanks for putting me right. Sorry re any "panic" caused.

File downloaded today.

It was very quick & easy ( minute or so max - unlike my previous attempt before xmas ) !

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast