Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Default Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

I have finally "Patched" my MTW+VI with the revised "Buttons".

I thought it may be useful to someone to advise the results of the "patch".

I have noted improvements as follows -

1) No CTD ( to date ) when clicking on "Resume" after ( say ) "Saving" - this was my main problem. Hopefully it is now cured.
    2) I now have access ( finally ), to the two Tutorials!!
    3) An apparent increase in "panning" speed when using the mouse cursor.

There is a possable slight increase in the occurance of "Drops to Taskbar". However, when this occurs, the game does not crash and just needs "reinstating" to full screen. To date, no such Drop to Taskbar has occurred during a Battle, and if anything, it occurs during the game boot up or whilst the introduction etc. is running.

Further comments to follow in due course re :

1) CTD when clicking on a particular province/s.
    2) CTD when clicking on the arrows in the Training and or Building queue's, when the said province/s is reached.

NB: These two usually involve a province that has more buildings than the space allocated for viewing those buildings can hold, and occurs a few turns after the extra Building is built. I have no such province at present.
    Last edited by DEB8; 05-19-2010 at 00:08.

FYI: I have bought Shogun TW Gold Edition and it works perfect with my NVIDIA 6800 (battles and campaign).

I also have Medieval TW with the VI ad-on, but I can only play the campaign map. Battles still have the problem with the mouse stalling.

That is NVidia 8600 to be correct, with Windows XP and Intel Dual Core 3.0 GHz

Welcome MTW,

The issues in-battle affecting the Nvidia 8xxx/9xxx series cards do not affect the 6xxx/7xxx series.

I had the issue of the campaign map crashing directly after its loading and i resolved it. But when it came to playing a battle, I had the problem of th mouse stalling, any help with this issue please? Thx in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed TW View Post
    I'm still having a problem with the battlemap. The battle map loads but I'm getting a flickering of the screen. The pointer arrow also leaves trails when I move the mouse. With the game options I can only set the resolution of the battle map to 640 x 480. I have Nvidia 9600. Any sugestions would be appreciated.
    This is exactly my problem, I have the nVidia GeForce 9600

I have just the base game (not Gold or VI). I tried using the Napoleon Mod method however it did not work. Advice?

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

What symptoms are you seeing? CTD at the start of the campaign, unit control issues in battles, or other? I believe Windows 7 has a whole new set of issues as well.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Only CTD at campaign map. Battles work fine.

Are you running MTW straight up in Win7, or are you trying the compatibility modes? Some have had success with Win98 or Win2000 compatibility modes.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

I'm running it straight. How do you run Compatibility mode?

Right click on the MTW desktop icon, select "Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab, and check the box for "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Select the Windows mode from the dropdown menu and hit OK or Apply to save.

Map works like a dream. Haven't tried battles yet but at least I can play the campaign. Many thanks Drone!

Excellent. For future reference, which mode did you choose?

I got it working on Win2000. Battles work beautifully as well.

Lord of Underpants Member Seabourch's Avatar

Just tried what you guys suggested, battles still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Drogba26 View Post
    Just tried what you guys suggested, battles still have the same problem. Any ideas?
    What kind of rig do you have (OS/video card)?

Using Windows Vista and my graphics card is NVIDIA GeForce 9200 GS.

Unfortunately, I don't believe there are any workarounds to the battlemap unit control issue with nVidia 8/9 series cards. I've got an experiment I want to try, but I just don't have time right now (RL is kicking my tail atm ) to work through it.

Alright, would you say what you were going to do? Maybe I could try it out?

I want to try to run WinXP in a VM, with virtualized hardware. I'm curious to see if something like VMWare Player could bypass these issues. As long as you have a fairly new machine, XP/MTW shouldn't stress it it too badly. I guess it will depend on how the VM handles DirectX calls.

Further to my post of 19th May 2010,

No more Crashes to Desktop with error Warnings !! All existing problems solved !!
    I now get a few Drops to taskbar ( which reverse perfectly - even during a Battle ) , but that's all.
    It appears my Vista O/S does not like me playing the game whilst "background" tasks are running just after Booting up! But this I can cope with!

Excellent.

On the Vista line of thinking, both STW and MTW start up really weird when I have other programs running and minimized. STW was the worst, I got graphical glitches, and both zip up and down from the taskbar while coming up. I had to stop UAC on Vista as well, the "interrupt" while it checks the program out (for your own good! ) broke a lot of older games.

Yesterday, I had my first two CTD's since applying the Button Patch...

The first CTD occurred whilst I was moving an Assassin ( Burgundy to Provence or Toulouse )!

Here I lost a game year ( events but no battle/s ), plus my moves etc. ; as I had forgotten to save after
    the Events & Battles had been completed ( following hitting the End Turn Button ).

( All events except two were the same ( for me ). The first difference was that my King did NOT die of an illness; the second that my best Assassin ( Guy of Gisbourne ) failed his mission and was executed!! )

The second CTD occurred during a battle. If I recall correctly, I was moving a unit to/from the main Army/Reinforcements boxes, on the pre battle screen.

Here I lost nothing, as I had saved the game, using the Quick Save at the top of the pre battle screen.

Moral - remember to save - ALWAYS!!

[ NB : I tend to save ( when I remember ) :

a) Directly before hitting the End Turn ( Next Year ) Button
    b) Before any Battle ( Battle Screen Quick Save )
    c) Upon completion of the Events & Battles by the AI

and sometimes after moving my units around, but before I review taxes, build buildings, train units, etc.. ]

Strangely, when I repeated each of the "moves" that caused each CTD, nothing happened...

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Excellent.

On the Vista line of thinking, both STW and MTW start up really weird when I have other programs running and minimized. STW was the worst, I got graphical glitches, and both zip up and down from the taskbar while coming up. I had to stop UAC on Vista as well, the "interrupt" while it checks the program out (for your own good! ) broke a lot of older games.
    Strange. On my Vista O/S I have not had the same problems with STW as I have had with MTW.
    To date, I have not had any troubles with the UAC either, for any of my games, other than two ( MTW is one, but not STW ), where I need to confirm that the O/S can proceed before it starts running the game. Maybe it's because we have different Graphic's Cards...

Thumbs up Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Quote Originally Posted by peter_de123 View Post
    Hello,

since I got my Nvidia 8800GTS I could not start MTW anymore, which was especially annoying because I bought the Eras Package. I even tried an old MTW version but it also did not work. After reading in various forums I thought it had something to do with the Nvidia Graphics Driver.

When I updated the driver tonight (version 175.16) I decided to give MTW another try. CTD when starting a campaign, just as I was fearing.

However, for some reason I also installed the Napoleon Total War Mod and tried again... SUDDENLY IT STARTED PERFECTLY.

So it could not be a graphics driver issue... I started toying around, removed and cleanly installed MTW, made a backup and tried to find out what made MTW work when I installed the Mod. I succeded to narrow the problem down to TWO FILES:

button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" Folder.

I verified it by using the clean, vanilla installation and only replacing those two files with the ones from the Mod.

NO CTD'S UNTIL NOW ANY MORE !!!

So to all those out there who also have the CTD problem when starting a campaign: Please try it out and report if it works for you.

Since this is my first post I am not allowed to enter a direct Link to a zip file containing the two buttons, so please look here: rapidshare.com / files / 115211547 / MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip . html (just remove the empty spaces between the words).

Alternatively you can of course install the NTW1 Mod.

Friend!!! you are the M.F boss, I'll be grateful for eternity, this crap of modern video cards do not know what a good game, thanks for the solution. MTW forever

Welcome to the Org, NEDEUS!

Glad it worked for you. If you don't mind, what are your system specs (OS, video card, memory)? I'm assuming by your tone that you are not having the battlemap issues others have seen with the nVidia 8/9 series cards? I'm trying to get as much data as possible for what works and what doesn't with MTW these days.

Welcome to the org and the main hall NEDEUS, enjoy your stay
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast