Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

Default Re: NEW Fix for CTD when starting campaign (Nvidia, High End Cards)

When considering playing first MTW - Win 8 is bad, Intel gpu is bad, Win8 + Intel is beyond bad. I don't know which part is worse in this case. The game is 14 years old and it doesn't even recognize PCs with more than 2GB of ram correctly (that's why most of people needs resolution fix). I doubt there is a solution for your configuration but if you find one, please, let us know.
    "Do not fight for glory. Do not fight for love of your lord. Do not fight for hatred, honor or faith. Fight only for victory and you will succeed." - Uji sensei.

Exactly I haven't heard of anyone getting it to work on win 8 and also heard intel gpu's were bad before now
    And don't worry I will let the whole community know if I find a solution
    Last edited by Chrissher; 08-03-2014 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Ok guys, I have installed the xl mod with the tyberius 3 version on my windows 8 pc. However, the campaigns dont start. Just when the loading seems to end, the game crashes to desktop. I have searched the web for a solution but nothing comes up and many people seem to have this issue with windows 8. None of the compatibilty mods work and I also tried the button fix solution. Nothing. This is deeply annoying since I was really prepeared to play as cumans and crush everything visible. Anyhow, if anyone has a solution for this please let me know.
    You got it running on windows 8 with XL? (I failed even with XL) you are lucky to get past the legal splash screen presumably Tyberius 3 is making it get past there in the first place may google that as I haven't heard of that.
    Last edited by Chrissher; 08-03-2014 at 21:21.

Actually has anyone thought with mtw on windows 8 that the reason it crashes is just because one of the buttons on the main menu is incompatible? or has someone tried that and it runs deeper

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

I tried the buttons issue and it works on Windows 7, but I'm pretty sure it's still unstable later onwards in the game.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Just wanted to add that the buttons fix is working like a charm for me so far (this is on the XP half of my hard drive -- I've not tried it on the Win7 half).

Wish I'd noticed this fix sooner, but definitely better late than never! I'm just happy I can finally play MTW/VI again.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

From the TWC, possible workaround for Win 8.

Quote Originally Posted by roy_d_merkel
    What worked for me was a program called dxwnd: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dxwnd/ (a program normally used to force programs into windowed mode using emulation) basically you want to use default settings except for the following changes:
    1. Hot patch (obfuscated IAT) needs to be turned on under Main
    2. turn on by default set no ALPHACHANNEL under DirectX
    3. Under Direct3D turn off Clear Target Viewport
    4. under libs change GDI to Emulated Device Context.
    5. under compat change Limit Available Resources to on.

let me know if this makes sense. This seems to work on my windows 8.1 laptop at least.

oh and you need the 2.03.02 version or 2.03.03 (I used the 2.03.03 version, under binary versions but I don't know how it's different from 2.03.02)
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

I got a bee in my bonnet and went to play. First time in 3+ years. Old computer wasn't working, so I tried getting the game to run on my laptop. No dice. Thank you for sharing this file swap trick. It worked! Now, the battle screen has some weird ghosting going on, but nothing I can't live with...
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

Quote Originally Posted by peter_de123 View Post
    Hello,

since I got my Nvidia 8800GTS I could not start MTW anymore, which was especially annoying because I bought the Eras Package. I even tried an old MTW version but it also did not work. After reading in various forums I thought it had something to do with the Nvidia Graphics Driver.

When I updated the driver tonight (version 175.16) I decided to give MTW another try. CTD when starting a campaign, just as I was fearing.

However, for some reason I also installed the Napoleon Total War Mod and tried again... SUDDENLY IT STARTED PERFECTLY.

So it could not be a graphics driver issue... I started toying around, removed and cleanly installed MTW, made a backup and tried to find out what made MTW work when I installed the Mod. I succeded to narrow the problem down to TWO FILES:

button_ipnext.BIF and button_ipprev.BIF in the "Medieval - Total War\campmap\buttons" Folder.

I verified it by using the clean, vanilla installation and only replacing those two files with the ones from the Mod.

NO CTD'S UNTIL NOW ANY MORE !!!

So to all those out there who also have the CTD problem when starting a campaign: Please try it out and report if it works for you.

Since this is my first post I am not allowed to enter a direct Link to a zip file containing the two buttons, so please look here: rapidshare.com / files / 115211547 / MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip . html (just remove the empty spaces between the words).

Alternatively you can of course install the NTW1 Mod.

-------------------------------edit by drone----------------------------------------------
    Rapidshare link seems to have expired, here's one from GameFront until I can get this hosted locally
    MTW_Gold_v2.01_CTD_Fix.zip
    Local link
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Although looks like you have only 2 posts, and probably will never login again..
    But after 8 years, I want to thank you one more time. I just applied your fix and it worked like a charm.

Maybe you will never know, but your fix is everywhere now. You are a legend, fixed the problem of thousands, and disappeared in the deep of internet forever, like a hero. But you will be remembered forever, and geeks will name their children "peter" to honor you.

Member thankful for this post:

drone 

Hi Everybody,

Do you know how I can install NTW1? I found a web which contain the mod but I cannot download the mod. The web page is http://www.thelordz.org/mods.html

Thanks,
    MoKuS.
    Last edited by MoKus; 10-03-2018 at 04:40.

We have NTW v7 locally, try https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...tid=131&id=617

If you look in the downloads section, the 7.1 patch should be there as well.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    We have NTW v7 locally, try https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/local...tid=131&id=617

If you look in the downloads section, the 7.1 patch should be there as well.
    Thanks. Where is download section?

Quote Originally Posted by MoKus View Post
    Thanks. Where is download section?
    Top banner of any thread/forum page, should be a set of buttons: News, Forum, Media, Tourneys, Downloads, What's New, Wiki, Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    Top banner of any thread/forum page, should be a set of buttons: News, Forum, Media, Tourneys, Downloads, What's New, Wiki, Arcade.
    Thanks.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Apologies for the serious thread necro.... it's down to me having a dead PC and needing to get a replacement, ideally capable of running both MTW and M2TW. I'm trying to get this laptop to do it, it should have the oomph, but it has a lot going against it, too. The oddest thing is that it can play a demo for Rise of Nations (from an old mag freebie DVD), but won't play the full game.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is I might have an explanation for why the 'button fix' works, and anyone with ReadBIF ought to be able to fix it for themselves. But as I don't have a game machine right now, I have to go from memory.

When I saw this solution, I looked at the files in question, and the one thing that stuck out was that most of the BIFs for the campmap and panel in the original game have colour mode #FFFF - all except the very ones that need to be replaced. Sure enough the NTW replacement buttons ARE also in #FFFF mode.

With ReadBIF you can open up the files and select the colour table. The final (ie bottom right-hand) entry in the colour table sets the colour mode. If this is set to pure white, the colour mode will be #FFFF (for some reason the originals are just a gnat's whisker off pure white, probably produced the day after CA's office party, or something....)

I THINK, if memory serves, that the indexed colours can be edited in ReadBIF - I can't test it now, alas - but failing that, the frames can be exported to .BMP and edited in Photoshop or similar then re-imported. However it's done, just save the modified BIF over the original file and I expect it will work fine, and with the original image instead of the + and - signs from NTW.
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Members thankful for this post (2):

Member Member dimitrios the samian's Avatar

never mind the necro !
    Good to see you back Mac ....
    Will PM you soon re: those Ancient Updates ....cheers

If it's a sticky, it's not really a necro.

That's a good find. I'll have to dig up my ReadBIF and see if this is one of the things they patched on the Steam version...

Question Suddenly MTW on Win XP desktop has horizontal screen and blow out to Main Menu

[QUOTE=droT

I moved my desktop and for reasons only the Furies know MTW would boot, but I got a black screen. So, I made sure I loaded the Direct X 8.1 and Direct3D and Direct Draw and acceleration were operable via my ATI program system check and guess what happened? See below:

The game booted up fine, let me choose a difficulty level, faction and era, and mess around with the Audio and Video options, etc...
    [B]But[/B], when I try to actually start playing either a saved game or new game, it blows out to a main MTW screen, the brow fancy one with the loading bar which loads in red, and, get this--THE DISPLAY IS HORIZONTAL!!! And, if I press ESC, it blows back to the main menu screen.

I reinstalled the game along with the DirectX on the CD, and it does the same thing.

I asked for help in the Tech Support Forum and got a few suggestions, but they all revolve around the DirectX 8.1 needed and graphics drivers and whatever. However, remember I had changed nothing in the system, I simply moved the machine to another room.

What in heavens name is going on? Poltergeist???

Help, please, if anyone is still monitoring this forum and has a solution.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456