Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Feedback wanted!

Default Re: Feedback wanted!

Your latest updates are great, Rinsui. The changes in animation speed really improve some of the units. One problem though, is that the Singijeon's firing sounds now have a huge delay.

Just a few things I noticed in the latest beta:

Mugongchui Rebels, Shinzoku Bodyguard, Arjuna Chariot, and Working Elephant lack a picture when you look at their "statistics and info" window;
    the Choson have two Shaolin Monk units, one of which uses the Monk Faction officer;
    Kali has no description;
    the Hwarang have an incredibly long range; (This may be intentional, I'm not sure)
    a few units in the Krishnapur use the zombie sounds;
    the Monk Novices use monkey sounds;
    several of the new archer/gunpowder units have sound problems again.

I'll try looking into some of these, as they are all minor stuff compared to what you're working on.

Also, does anyone know which txt file determines the walls for different cultures and different city levels? I'd like to mess with the Chinese culture factions' walls.

Lastly, I sent a request to Ran no Jidai for the right to use their walls and they agreed. I'm just waiting to find out how they'd like to transfer them. (I suppose I should have asked whether they'd let us use them now or AFTER they've released their own beta.)

Current Blue Lotus TW Leader Member Rinsui's Avatar

As always, your keen eye is much of a help. The issues with the unit pictures you mentioned will be corrected in the next patch this sunday. Also, I changed the reload animations for thunderbombers and Ashigaru Crossbowmen yet again. They should work properly now. The choson second Shaolin is a miss, of course. It belongs to the Monks. Kali's description must be missing due to a typo. The Hwarang range is intended to be about 170-200m, which is intentional. They are the top archery unit in the game, and the top class Choson unit. The sound problems you mentioned I also realized, but lo: The master of sounds of this mod is Kitagata, not me. Talk to him ^.^/
    The walls for different cultures are in... what do you mean? The wall models (.ITEM files), or the .txt defining wall ownership, or the .txt definig a walls stats?
    Rinsui

Sorry, I was looking for the txt file that defines wall ownership. I want to try replacing the chinese wooden palisade.

Yesterday I was download the "Base Version as of 2009/02/27"
    Why there all armies consist of only one type of unit - BLTW_dummies ?

Thanks, Kita. Btw, Dromikaites will rectify this situation until next week sunday (or so) - perhaps he's already contacted you. He'll implement the tentative building roster in the edb to get a running beta campaign map (which of course will need a lot of polishing later).
    Btw, the file you were looking for (defining wall ownership) is most likely:

For campaign map models:
    - data/descr_cultures.txt
    - data/descr_sm_settlements.txt

and for the buildings and stats used in battle:
    - data/descr_building_battle/dbb_walls_greek.txt (for example) for the stats. In this file, please ready my annotations. They are about 2 years old, but still describe what I originally did to the walls. Be very careful when you edit things here.
    - these files (dbb_walls_greek.txt for example) are referenced to towards the end in data/descr_building_battle.txt, and (perhaps) data/descr_items.txt, btw.
    - data/descr_walls.txt

...I hope I didn't miss anything.
    Rinsui

Hmm, does changing buildings require re-PAK-ing?

I tried replacing the wooden_short_gateway.item and wooden_tall_gateway.item in data/ITEMS but nothing changed.
    So I checked descr_walls txt and these are the two walls used for the palisade and wooden wall (non-scaleable).

What did you do to give the Yomi their newer stone walls, Rinsui?

Aaaah, yes! There was some re-packing-stuff with the ITEMs I did a loong time ago, definitely. Uiuiui. I'll try to dig it up again, but this will take some days. This, I did quite some tie ago, so I forgot. Sorry.
    Rinsui

Not a problem.
    I was thinking we could use the short wooden walls and tall wooden walls from the Sanguo mod for the Chinese based cultures.
    From what I read on TWCenter, the mod is pretty much dead, plus they used the yomi banner and a shield texture from BL.
    Then we can use the Japanese wooden walls from Ran no Jidai for the Japanese factions, since those guys were nice enough to say we could use them.

...sorry, my memory has grown dim on this issue. But as far as I remember, wall ownership and models used was
    defined in one of these files, as noted above:

For campaign map models:
    - data/descr_cultures.txt
    - data/descr_sm_settlements.txt

and for the buildings and stats used in battle:
    - data/descr_building_battle/dbb_walls_greek.txt (for example) for the stats. In this file, please ready my annotations. They are about 2 years old, but still describe what I originally did to the walls. Be very careful when you edit things here.
    - these files (dbb_walls_greek.txt for example) are referenced to towards the end in data/descr_building_battle.txt, and (perhaps) data/descr_items.txt, btw.
    - data/descr_walls.txt

And I also remember that some factions use other walls than you would expect them to in vanilla rome; foe example, the greek factions originally use the roman walls on city leven 4 and 5 (or so). Now the greek_huge_city_wall_gate.item file or something in fact does exist, but it is "broken" in a sense that it does not fully function. So what I did was to define new wall ownerships where appropriate. now the funny thing is, this was about the only step I didn't do and document in a way other people could easily understand afterwards. For example, I gave ownership of some of the greek walls to the egyptians and vice versa, to be able to come up with new textures for each faction... it is stupidly confusing now even for me, but I remember this was the most effective way of doing things back then. Forgive.

To give the Yomi their new walls I used... damn, what did I do... I think I used the chinese walls and gave them a new texture in both 3DS Max and... where was it... yes! In descr_building_battle.txt. Due to a bug with the export function for ITEM files in 3DS Max I actually had to give the egyptian (Yomi) faction the new texture several times with different names... take a look at my documentations in that .txt file and you should be able to guess what I did in this case.

I am sorry. You discovered my weak spot; wall stuff was the thing I did *not* take the time to do in an orderly fashion...
    Rinsui

Hey, things have been pretty quiet on the board lately. I haven't been doing much myself as I was waiting for the latest beta's release.

Sorry to the folk who aren't able to get the BL mod currently. Dunno if Rinsui is taking a break or what.

I'd upload my own copy, but it has personal modifications on it that might be buggy.

If anyone is a pro on integrating walls, I'd really like your help. Having some problems getting faction-specific wooden walls to work.

I'd be happy to put a link with a clean verion of it if anybody wants it.

Sorry for the double post but check the "New Link?" thread and click on the link in the second post by me. It will take you to the download. Hehe, I guess it's good that I save all of my downloads for future use.

Default Love it

Rinsui!

Love the work so far, been looking at the threads. I was wondering, have the stats been completed yet to make the campaign playable? im really lookin forward to using the Chosun to conquer asia!

as we say in Oz, goodonyamate!

Default Re: Love it

Yes, sorry, Kita is right as always. I have been lazy during those last weeks (month?), but I never stopped modding on. If I don't post a new version this sunday, I'll officially step down as this mod's leader.
    P.S.: I have no intention to let that happen ;).
    Rinsui

Default Re: Love it

Can't wait for the new version Rinsui!

Thanks alot for the new version !

You're welcome. This last time took ages, I have to admit. I had really very heavy problems with balancing the units, and that was wa slowed me down to 10% of my nomal speed. The new version includes an excel document called "BLTW_unitstats.xls" which may give you an impression of the formula I used for calculating a unit's recruitment, upkeep and upgrade costs. More interesting may be the lines "Melee total" and "Archery total" which should give you a pretty good impression of how strong the unit really is in melee and ranged combat. The attack and defense values you normally see in-game actually tell you *hit about that, for a projectile might have an attack value of 53, but an accuracy factor of .5, which means it will never hit (=in total: very bad). Another one might have an attack value of mere 8 but pinpoint accuracy and a blast radius of 4, which means it is an absolute killer.

For now, all human factions should be perfect, and if you pitch a unit wit a Melee Total (in the Excel file) of 40 agains a unit with a melee total of 50, the latter should win pretty consistently. And that's where you guys come in. Please try a few custom battles, and tell me whether the units "feel" like what you think they should.

@Kitagata: It's been a long time, and I fixed all the problems you mentioned in your last major post (unit pictures and descriptions). However, I have never done sounds as of yet (or at least I can't remember), so I am not able to fix the Singijeon sounds and the zombie stuff. If you could look into this matter... well, I don't really have to offer anything in return. Just the new version which is already around the corner ^.-

P.S.: Check out hiding with the "Kaonashi" unit.
    Last edited by Rinsui; 05-31-2009 at 16:47.
    Rinsui

When will we get delicious campaign D=!?

Once Rinsui loses his job, is expelled from his university and decides to divorce his wife, leaving behind his 2 children.
    No, seriously. Sometime this Summer a rough beta should be ready.
    Rinsui

I know this might upset the gameplay quite a bit but I though all Samurai would rather die than run from the enemies. Wouldn't they have locked_morale in-game?

Sorry, pilgrim. Gameplay > Cliche. Btw, if you look through export_descr_units.txt or the BLTW_unitstats.xls, you will notice samurai units already have above-average Morale. Still, they are human and intelligent enough to understand when it's better to turn and run to fight another time. Just a hint: Zombie units are an altogether different story...
    Rinsui

That's great about the newest release. I'd happily work on the sounds, but I haven't had steady internet in about a month! The joy of changing jobs and moving...

I should be able to work on it in a few weeks.

Additionally, some time back I got the OK from Ran no Jidai to use their bridges/walls. Plus, since the mod seems to be dead and Wundai is going to release the current work, I think we should try to integrate their bridges and walls.
    The problem is, while it seems pretty straitforward, I can't get the game to recognize faction specific wooden walls! I know it can be done, but I don't know what the game is bypassing and using PAKed info from.
    I think I know all the txt s and files to change, but still nothing changes in the game.
    If anyone out there knows about this stuff, please share your wisdom. I'd love to also get the now defunct Sanguo TW's Chinese walls into the game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinsui View Post
    Sorry, pilgrim. Gameplay > Cliche. Btw, if you look through export_descr_units.txt or the BLTW_unitstats.xls, you will notice samurai units already have above-average Morale. Still, they are human and intelligent enough to understand when it's better to turn and run to fight another time. Just a hint: Zombie units are an altogether different story...
    I completely agree, I just saying that seeing samurai run from "lesser foes" is kind of strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinsui View Post
    Once Rinsui loses his job, is expelled from his university and decides to divorce his wife, leaving behind his 2 children.
    No, seriously. Sometime this Summer a rough beta should be ready.
    Hey thats not too far off, looking forward to it!

Thank you very much for your hard work, Rinsui. This is a great mod.
    We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions, do, in the Name, and by Authority of the good People of these Colonies, solemnly publish and declare, That these united Colonies are, and of Right ought to be Free and Independent States.... — And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.
    --The American Declaration of Independence

Quote Originally Posted by TigerVX View Post
    Hey thats not too far off, looking forward to it!
    ...and the winning award in the category "unintended humor" goes to... TigerVX for the most funny and ambiguous encouragement ever
    Last edited by Rinsui; 06-02-2009 at 21:21.
    Rinsui

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456