Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of the World

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Default The End of the World

Hello,

do you think its true the end of our world? I will post the Mayan prophecies and what did they think about it.

Caius

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Default Re: The End of the World

Barring a catastrophic event with Sol or an unfortunate get-together with a very big asteroid (think lunar sized), the world is not going anywhere anytime soon. The human infestation of the planet, on the other hand, could disappear tomorrow or in a million years.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by drone
    Barring a catastrophic event with Sol or an unfortunate get-together with a very big asteroid (think lunar sized), the world is not going anywhere anytime soon. The human infestation of the planet, on the other hand, could disappear tomorrow or in a million years.
    Have you heard of the Mayan Prophecies, drone?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caius
    Have you heard of the Mayan Prophecies, drone?
    I have heard of them (end of the world at 2012, right? End of the Mayan calender if I remember correctly). But I don't know about specifics.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Is'nt it that we move into the next 'phase' in 2012, around late December?
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Mayan prophecies in the science forum? I might be easily confused but could anyone show me where the science bit is?

CBR

It's a great load of bollox - that's all that there's to it.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-17-2008 at 20:21.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    Mayan prophecies in the science forum? I might be easily confused but could anyone show me where the science bit is?

CBR
    Well since science and technology walk hand in hand and sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic and since prophecies are some sort of magic, the topic belongs here.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Ah yes the high tech and magic bit, got you

CBR

Going to the land where men walk without footprints.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR
    Ah yes the high tech and magic bit, got you

CBR
    Clarke's Third Law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Blog Entries

I'm not one for the doom and gloom, I don't think the Mayan Prophecies have any calculable factual evidence considering every great prophecy made by it beforehand could have been completely by coincidence, or more likely early signs made by scholars who needed to persuade the masses into actually caring based on the indigenous belief in superstition, much like Clerics and Priests have done for thousands of years.

There are a lot of "end of the world" prophecies and I can't see any real reason to take any of them seriously.

For example, as a particle physicist I am repeatedly confidently informed by people that the new LHC accelerator at CERN is going to create black holes which will suck the entire world into oblivion.

Suffice it to say that I won't be quitting my job and going on a spending spree just yet.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

I don't think it will be the end of humanity.

I do think it will be a turning point, and one that may not even be detectable until it is long past. It could be rough, it could be calm; it could be nothing. But I got a feeling it's a turning point.

(Thoroughly unscientific, I know. But I don't give a damn. I'm drunk as hey-all and classes begin again tomorrow, so I am in a lively mood.)

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always thought it interesting that the Mayan prophecy stated that the 'doomsday' was supposed to occur on December 24. Which, of course, is a rather significant date in another religion... Theoretically, this could be interpreted as Armageddon taking place, with Jesus retaking the earth and purging sin on what is now the memorial of his birthday...

Edit: for clarification, that the end would actually happen on the 24th, with the 25th actually being the whole "Jesus kicking arse" part.
    Last edited by seireikhaan; 05-20-2008 at 06:46.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

I must admit that I have once or twice looked into doomsday prophecies from religion to see what they have in common.
    I am sorry I am pulling religion into this science topic, but I am just making a reference to some ancient text which I believe are genuinely ancient, and written with the perspective of ancient minds and their interpretation of cosmic events.

You have the whole Exodus in the Jewish religion which compared to the Christian New Testament apocalypse found in Revelations speaks of certain events.
    If you look closely they are very similar in describing some event that took place and that will take place in the future. You would think that an imagination of a God wanting to destroy us would be .. well, better than ours. Yet it is the same bloody moon, bloody river, stars falling, earthquakes etc.
    I once saw a documentary that had me thinking more about what could cause the events the ancients interpreted as Gods intervention. It was a documentary of astral bodies passing very close to our Earth. If such an comet or similar had passed very close it would disrupt earths revolution and cause severe earthquakes and shifting of seas and cause many of the things described in the ancient texts. If it had a tail of debris and it crossed earth’s path the debris would rain to the ground and it would be like fire raining from the sky and could destroy forests and cities etc. I believe there is a book on this subject written by a scholar with a name I forget; I think it had an east Europe sound.
    On a clear day it would be seen like a plummet of smoke across the sky and at night a display of brilliant light. That they predicted its return would be logical knowing the nature of comets.
    I am counting on our star gazers having control on the different objects that populate our night sky. I haven’t seen anyone making the cross-connection from Biblical events with Mayan prophecies and their 2012. Will we be revisited by such a near earth collision object which will create havoc on our surface?

And then the raisin in the sausage:
    Apparently every ancient culture worshipped a female goddess of the sky called:
    Aster, Astarte, Ashtoreth, Ishtar or Hathor, to name a few.
    Hehe I know you will laugh and I did too but if you look at the names you can derive the following words:
    Aster, Astarte, Ashtoreth, Ishtar or Hathor .. right you say. This is some English native who does the classical mistake of making a connection from ancient words to the English word star. In ancient times every heavenly body not being the sun or moon was star. That included comets, planets asteroids and distant suns. Star was just a night sky object and some could fall to the ground.
    And then the raisin in the raisin:
    Catastrophe which originally means; ruin from the star
    Disaster which means; from the star.
    I would be laughing hadn’t it been for the fact that we have those words in Norwegian.
    Could there be something in this?
    Looking trough my Multilanguage Clue I notice the similarity of the words for star.
    And the word Catastrophe also means the same in all languages.

IMO the end of the world is not a divine prophetic message. It is a highly educated guess.
    Status Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd Fafnesbane
    It was a documentary of astral bodies passing very close to our Earth. If such an comet or similar had passed very close it would disrupt earths revolution and cause severe earthquakes and shifting of seas and cause many of the things described in the ancient texts. If it had a tail of debris and it crossed earth’s path the debris would rain to the ground and it would be like fire raining from the sky and could destroy forests and cities etc. I believe there is a book on this subject written by a scholar with a name I forget; I think it had an east Europe sound.
    On a clear day it would be seen like a plummet of smoke across the sky and at night a display of brilliant light. That they predicted its return would be logical knowing the nature of comets.
    I am counting on our star gazers having control on the different objects that populate our night sky. I haven’t seen anyone making the cross-connection from Biblical events with Mayan prophecies and their 2012. Will we be revisited by such a near earth collision object which will create havoc on our surface?
    A comet is just a few km across and has barely any gravitational influence at all on Earth. Just look at how little influence the Moon has, three times as big as (and so much more massive than) the asteroid belt's greatest member (wich has a diameter of 950+ km).

If such a great object is due to pass us in no less than four years, it must barely reflect any light at all if not to have been discovered yet; and because of this, absorbing nearly all the light, it will shine just brighter in infrared and be easier to discover in those wavelenghts. In other words, the chances that such a massive object is due to pass us is close to nil.
    Besides, one would expect it to be expelled from the solar and not be able to return, or at least have it's orbit modified greatly due to the pertubations from the gas planets.

One could also expect this object to cause a great rain of asteroids upon earth due to its great gravitational pull on the asteroid belt as it passes, such that humanity and most life could go extinct.

Futhermore...such a massive object would never leave a debris trail, although it could have a planetary coma due to the solar wind.

And lastly, such a dark object would probably barely visible at night and not at all during day time.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

I thoguht it was the 29th.

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    It's you I love

Master of useless knowledge Senior Member Kitten Shooting Champion, Eskiv Champion Ironside's Avatar

And then the raisin in the raisin:
    Catastrophe which originally means; ruin from the star
    Disaster which means; from the star.
    I would be laughing hadn’t it been for the fact that we have those words in Norwegian.
    Could there be something in this?
    Looking trough my Multilanguage Clue I notice the similarity of the words for star.
    And the word Catastrophe also means the same in all languages.

IMO the end of the world is not a divine prophetic message. It is a highly educated guess.
    Compare with Swedish
    Katastrof
    Stjärna

Disaster = olycka

Catastrophe, from the Greek Καταστροφή (katastrephein), literally means "to turn" (strephein) "downwards" (kata-).
    star= astir αστηρ
    Might be wrong as I don't know Greek, but still the connection is obvious

You sure it doesn't have anything to do with some viking immigration a few years back?
    We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
    Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
    TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    A comet is just a few km across and has barely any gravitational influence at all on Earth. Just look at how little influence the Moon has, three times as big as (and so much more massive than) the asteroid belt's greatest member (wich has a diameter of 950+ km).
    Well yes, the general definition of comet is as you say, relatively small. But then you have comets like Hale Bopp which some believe to be 40 km in diameter. Then you have the Howard-Koomen-Michels 1979 XT which I can't find a definite estimated size other than someone believing it being larger than Earth.
    I am not willing to put dates on these events, but I am sure that many of if not all religion has its fountain with some asteroid or comet crash. Scholars agree that the sky queen was probably a comet, perhaps Hale Bopp. There are even speculations that a piece of Hale Bopp crashed into our surface as the main part flew past.

You can just pick up any religious text and you will soon find events like earthquakes, cities destroyed with hail and fire (which is most likely a wrong interpretation, Scholars suggest that hail should be exchanged with falling stars), Oceans moving, mountains flattened, and fields rising to mountains. Often are these events followed by many days of darkness... Well, I know this is all hypothetic, but darkness could just be the result of a dust cloud from the impact of a celestial body and the earthquake and other extreme effects could be the shockwaves or the result of shockwaves and other effects from the same impact.
    One scholar argues that there was such an event around 2213 BC and connects it with something hitting the earth. He suggests that something happened to the Egyptian and a Mesopotamian civilization. There is much confusion in Egyptian dynasties after this year and the Akkadian civilization collapsed also in 2200 BC. The only reason named on tablets was: the curse of Naram-Sin and a heavenly punishment. And it coincides with when Hale Bopp should have passed and a sudden climate change or a mini ice age. It is all speculation of course but I think there is something to it or near to it.

Status Emeritus

Then you have the Howard-Koomen-Michels 1979 XT which I can't find a definite estimated size other than someone believing it being larger than Earth.

That would be the size of the coma and not the nucleus.

You can just pick up any religious text and you will soon find events like earthquakes, cities destroyed with hail and fire (which is most likely a wrong interpretation, Scholars suggest that hail should be exchanged with falling stars), Oceans moving, mountains flattened, and fields rising to mountains. Often are these events followed by many days of darkness... Well, I know this is all hypothetic, but darkness could just be the result of a dust cloud from the impact of a celestial body and the earthquake and other extreme effects could be the shockwaves or the result of shockwaves and other effects from the same impact.
    One scholar argues that there was such an event around 2213 BC and connects it with something hitting the earth. He suggests that something happened to the Egyptian and a Mesopotamian civilization. There is much confusion in Egyptian dynasties after this year and the Akkadian civilization collapsed also in 2200 BC. The only reason named on tablets was: the curse of Naram-Sin and a heavenly punishment. And it coincides with when Hale Bopp should have passed and a sudden climate change or a mini ice age. It is all speculation of course but I think there is something to it or near to it.
    Could be, I'll admit that I have not read very much upon mythology.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-21-2008 at 17:10.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

that Mayan thing is bs....just because some yahoos that weren´t even smart enough to invent porn wrote down a date we´re all supposed to be destroyed just like that?

please...

this is how you bring about the end of the world...

be advised that I am giving out this information because I expect anyone who reads it here to use it responsibly... uhhhkay?

ok...so here´s what you would need

-one cat
    -one piece of toast
    -butter
    -super-glue

Ok...so you get the piece of toast and butter one of the sides up.

Ok...now take the buttered toast and super-glue it´s un-buttered side to the back of the cat so that the buttered side is oriented up.

Ok...now time to destroy the world...nay...the universe.

take the cat with the buttered toast glued to it and throw it up in the air, the cat will fall to the grown, then stop at about 10 cm up and will spin in place in mid-air while the universe tries to decide what it favors between the 2 universal truths at battle here:

1- cats always land on their feet
    and
    2- toast always falls with the butter side down

this will continue for about 10 minutes, at which point the universe will run out of memory and destroy itself....or reboot...but the difference will not be distinguishable to the observer.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Lesbian Rebel Member Mikeus Caesar's Avatar

Eurgh, everytime i see people saying that the Mayans have predicted the end of the world, i facepalm.

They didn't predict the end of the world, their calendar system just happened to end at 2012. It's like looking at one of our calendars and then panicking because nothing comes after December 31st.
    Last edited by Mikeus Caesar; 05-21-2008 at 17:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranika
    I'm being assailed by a mental midget of ironically epic proportions. Quick as frozen molasses, this one. Sharp as a melted marble. It's disturbing. I've had conversations with a braying mule with more coherence.

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd
    I believe there is a book on this subject written by a scholar with a name I forget; I think it had an east Europe sound.
    That would be "Worlds in Collision" by Velikovsky, written sometime in the 1950s IIRC. I did read it a very long while ago, and don't recall much now, but I do believe he equated the Egyptian god/demon Apophis with a comet or similar, and ascribed much Biblical death and destruction to it. I've also read the Mayan Prophecies (was that by Graham Hancock??). TBH I'd put them both on a par with the Da Vinci Code. Grand, impressive, convincing to the uninitiated .... but ultimately bollox (which just goes to prove to the conspiracy theorists that I'm a secret Grandmaster Freemason intent on covering up the truth of the end of the world.... )

No doubt the world will end, the Universe is a very dangerous place - huge lumps of stuff flying around at high speed (or did you think the moon has acne?), stars like our Sun go through a few phases of development, some of which you really don't want to witness close up, and planets are not exactly stable if you take a long enough perspective. What looks like a solid crust to us is, on a global scale/timescale, just like a thin skin on a boiling rice pudding. Then there's all the stuff we can't see whizzing through the atmosphere, various bursts of radiation and particles trying to cook us.

With all this going down, primitive and superstitious peoples will ascribe all sorts of explanations, mostly relating to supernatural beings and their displeasure with events that really are totally unconnected. I know thunder being caused by Thor throwing Mollnjer around is way more romantic, but we have learnt enough about thunder and lightning since to accept that it can occur without anyone being repsonsible for perturbing the inhabitants of Asgard.

AFAIK Ishtar and Ashtoreth were fertility goddesses, and Hathor was a lunar deity. The Egyptians did have a personification of space/night sky, being Nu. "Father Sky/Mother earth" is a much more common mythological combination, although there were some female solar deities, too, but I digress

Quote Originally Posted by Viking
    Just look at how little influence the Moon has
    Are you serious? May I suggest you stand on a coastline for a while and then say that was you see happening is a little effect? BILLIONS of tonnes of water get moved up and down by up to 10 metres on a near-daily basis, the atmosphere is pulled out of shape, tectonic plates get shifted around. You would see a massive difference if we had no moon
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Ancient TW2: Eastern Empires is under development again

Featuring: Rise of Persia, Alexander's Conquests, Wars of the Diadochi

Quote Originally Posted by macsen rufus
    Are you serious? May I suggest you stand on a coastline for a while and then say that was you see happening is a little effect? BILLIONS of tonnes of water get moved up and down by up to 10 metres on a near-daily basis, the atmosphere is pulled out of shape, tectonic plates get shifted around. You would see a massive difference if we had no moon
    Serious. Gravitational effect is as everything, relative. Indeed it pulls on us; and not only the water, but the surface also, is lifted, as you say. Still, it is nothing compared to what that happens to poor Io, for example.
    Last edited by Viking; 05-23-2008 at 18:17.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Member Member General SupaCrunk's Avatar

World will never end, god is only fantasy and all other religion.

Those kind of statements should really be posted in the backroom only.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe that the end of human beings are destined to extinct some day. But then new world will be built by who ever this 'god' is. Unless the human grows so powerful that we can take on God.
    Last edited by Beefy187; 12-31-2008 at 00:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Member Member General SupaCrunk's Avatar

Please read my post again!

Exclamation Re: The End of the World

Read ACIN's post first. If you intend on bashing religions, go to the backroom. Remember, there are children who read these forums. If I have to, I will censor your post. Be more respectful, and learn to speak English.

Biotechnlogy Student Member ||Lz3||'s Avatar

In discovery channel they broadcasted this documental where they showed like 10 plausible ways that the human race and the earth will end

Super volcanoes
    giant asteroids
    nuclear war
    nanorobots
    giant mean robots
    alien invasion
    pandemie
    giant fire arm from the sun
    death of the sun
    being crushed by a black hole
    Another ice age
    global warming

and I don't remember what else

heheh it was... interesting to know how the world will end
    Spoken languages:

Mini-mod pack for EB 1.2 for Alexander and RTW
    (just download it and apply to get tons of changes!) last update: 18/12/08 here
    ALEXANDER EB promoter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast